Derek Jeter goes to Davos to discuss Climate Change

by Rodan ( 79 Comments › )
Filed under Baseball, Climate, Politics, Progressives at January 25th, 2013 - 7:00 am

DerekJeterDavos

NY Yankees Shortstop Derek Jeter will be in the hall of fame. He is very active in charities and helps out young kids. The last thing Jeter should do is break the Jordan rule and become vocal on politics.

In a surprise move, Derek Jeter was spotted in Davos, Switzerland. He was not there to raise money for charities or to hook up with foreign exotic women. Jeter was there to discuss, Climate Change. A Baseball Shortstop is now an expert on Climate Change! Even funnier, Pepsi is sponsoring him at Davos!

DAVOS, Switzerland — As global political and business leaders gather here for the World Economic Forum this week, New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter hopes climate change is addressed.

“I was in New York for Hurricane Sandy,” Jeter told The Dispatch this morning, following a private function in Davos, Switzerland. Jeter is here for the Forum this week with Pepsi.

“It’s just something that’s gotten so much attention,” Jeter said of climate change. “Regardless of how you feel about it, it’s something that needs to be addressed because we’re seeing more and more natural disasters each year, it seems like. Something has to be causing it.”

Derek Jeter may soon become Charles Johnson’s favorite baseball player, but this hurts his image with others. When I first read this article I was laughing. But this publicity stunt is very effective. Progressives get these athletes and entertainers to become spokes people for their pet causes. Do not dismiss Derek Jeter becoming a Climate Change spokes person. This could be very effective with low information voters.

As a NY Yankee fan, I am disappointed in Derek Jeter becoming a propagandist on AGW. Even worse is Pepsi promoting his new found activism. I wish athletes would just do their jobs and corporations not focus on making profits.

Maybe the Republicans can get Alex Rodriquez to discuss Sequester and the debt limit!

Tags: , , ,

Comments

79 Responses to “Derek Jeter goes to Davos to discuss Climate Change”

1. 1 | January 25, 2013 7:13 am

The age of celebocracy is most surely upon us……

2 | January 25, 2013 7:18 am

Guy who plays with a ball becomes a noted scientist over night. Isn’t America grand?

3. 3 | January 25, 2013 7:48 am

waldensianspirit wrote:

Baseball been berry berry good to him and has made him berry berry smart.

4. unclassifiable
    4 | January 25, 2013 8:09 am

Does it occur to anyone that low information voters will alway be the bane of the republic no matter who they are voting for?

5. 5 | January 25, 2013 8:12 am

If Jeter goes into politics after retiring from Baseball, he will be a Demo☭rat!

6. 6 | January 25, 2013 8:22 am

@ unclassifiable:

We will never win the low information voters by leaving them at low information. The only hope there is an education offensive that brings them up from “low info” to at least moderately educated on the issues. I am not sre how successful that can be. Low info voters are low info because they want to be lowinfo. In today’s society you have to actively avoid education to remai ignorant.

7. 7 | January 25, 2013 8:23 am

unclassifiable wrote:

Good point. Whining about the number of voters participating has become de rigueur over the years, but sans information, larger voting blocs are no more than more formidable mobs. It’s increasingly clear that the current regime sees this as a net positive in society’s current configuration, but that they cannot see this trend is, as you say, antithetic to the continued survival of the Republic is either suicidally cynical, or malevolently cunning. I’m leaning toward the latter.

8 | January 25, 2013 8:40 am

Macker wrote:

How do you know?

9. 9 | January 25, 2013 9:00 am

Speranza wrote:

Macker wrote:

How do you know?

Or a RINO. What difference does that make?

/Shrillary

10. citizen_q
    10 | January 25, 2013 9:01 am

I am thinking that the best way to get to low information voters is to find their ox and gore it.

In this day and age with the ease of access to information, there are many reasons why and voter is low information, non-interest, very busy, etc…. Find something they care about and let them know how it will be negatively impacted.

11 | January 25, 2013 9:09 am

Thousands of Egyptians are gathering in Cairo’s Tahrir Square today to mark the second anniversary of the uprising. One protester slammed President Obama, calling him an “idiot” and “jerk” for cozying up to the Muslim Brotherhood while the MB is “killing the Egyptians.”
    TWITCHY.

I agree.

12 | January 25, 2013 9:11 am

waldensianspirit wrote:

Hey, a guy who does nothing but slap white balls around became President of the United States.

13 | January 25, 2013 9:13 am

Macker wrote:

Speranza wrote:
    Macker wrote:
    How do you know?

Or a RINO. What difference does that make?
    /Shrillary

You’re assuming because he is partially black he will be a Democrat.

14 | January 25, 2013 9:13 am

citizen_q wrote:

Without in any way defending smoking, the huge Obamacare surcharge on smokers might ruffle a few feathers.

15. 15 | January 25, 2013 9:16 am

citizen_q wrote:

That is one way to do it, but is still requires education. One thing that may have woke these people up a little was the increase in Social Security tax. They noticed that their taxes went up, and they weren’t happy about it.

16. 16 | January 25, 2013 9:18 am

Here’s a way to stop Leftist brainwashing.

17. 17 | January 25, 2013 9:20 am

I think the Right should take a playbook from the Left and manipulate low info voters.

18. 18 | January 25, 2013 9:24 am

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

A few years back, my life insurance carrier required a urine test for people who said they had smoked in the past and quit. People have no idea of what they’re in for with Obamacare; it’s a monster that’ll intrude on every facet of our lives with sticks and carrots that haven’t even been invented yet.

19. citizen_q
    19 | January 25, 2013 9:26 am

@ buzzsawmonkey:
    My company is ahead of this curve on this we had to sign a doc affirming we were not smokers to get a “discount”. My company has also been ahead of the curve in raising premiums to cover added costs imposed obamacare such as coverage for children over the age of 26. Not sure of their actuarial charts and how much they calculated how all of us even those without children would have to pay to support that particular “free” provision of the affordable healthcare act.

20 | January 25, 2013 9:26 am

Frankly, I think that conservatives should start putting together a series of ads around the theme of “It’s mine—because I got it for myself!”

The ads that were done to counter Obama’s “You didn’t build that!” spoke to the small-medium business owner. But lots of people do not own businesses; they work for wages, if they work. They, too, however, have things of their own—and they need to be shown how the “fair share” philosophy is designed to ultimately put them in a position where everything they “own” is a matter of what the government thinks they “should” have as their “fair share”—not what they want or feel that they can afford to buy.

21. 21 | January 25, 2013 9:27 am

The problem is that to do that requires the cooperation of the Mass Media. The Democrats have that. We don’t. We’re not going to get that. We’re not going to have Jimmy Kimmel and COnan O’Brian, or Jon Stewart, or Stephen Colbert. We need someone like that from the right, but how to get it? If it were easy, somebody would have done it. Rush Limbaugh’s success demonstrates that there is a market, but the barrier to entry is high, and the gatekeepers are dedicated to keeping the Right out of the market.

22 | January 25, 2013 9:27 am

@ MacDuff:
    Seniors & newborns that are imperfect are considered selfish under
    ObamaCare for wanting medical attention.
    They will decide who is worthy.

23. 23 | January 25, 2013 9:28 am

Speranza wrote:

You’re assuming because he is partially black he will be a Democrat.

BULL-SHIT! I don’t care if he’s mulatto, black, white, oriental, whatever. If he has “feelings” about climate change he’s already on the socialist bandwagon!

24 | January 25, 2013 9:31 am

“Hello. My name is Derek Jeter. I’m going to bat for our kids and their future; we need a short stop to our wasteful energy policies. Passing the President’s cap and trade legislation is the winning home run in the real World Series—the one that counts for our future.”

25. 25 | January 25, 2013 9:33 am

Seiously, I was not aware that Jeter was part black……

26. 26 | January 25, 2013 9:33 am

The Right has to figure out a way. But the Right is divided right now, so this is all an exercise in futility

anyway.

Did you see my Rubio post? It’s what you and I were talking about that a 4 year degree is not for everyone.

27. 27 | January 25, 2013 9:34 am

@ citizen_q:

Where I work next year they are instituting a surcharge of $8000 for smokers, people with high cholesterol, and people with over 30 BMI. I am working on losing the last 20 pounds I need to get under 30 BMI. Actually, I am right there right now, but I want to lose another 20 pounds. If I lose five, I’ll be under a 30 BMI. The point is that they are going to have a “risk” premium for these groups.

28. 28 | January 25, 2013 9:34 am

MacDuff wrote:

Seiously, I was not aware that Jeter was part black……

He came out White. But because America has the stupid one drop rule, he’s considered Black.

29. 29 | January 25, 2013 9:35 am

Eugenics.

30. 30 | January 25, 2013 9:37 am

I saw it, and he’s right. Look, I have a four year degree and a two year degree, and t is the two year degree that opens the doors for me to have a good job. I won’t say that the four year degree doesn’t help. My current position’s job description requires a Bachelor’s degree or a technical degree. I am sure it didn’t hurt that I had both. But I’d have never taken out large loans to get my bachelor’s degree. That just doesn’t pay off.

31 | January 25, 2013 9:37 am

the stupid one drop rule

Ah, the Democrat legacy…

32. 32 | January 25, 2013 9:40 am

Rand Paul slammed John Kerry.

Of course the hypocrites at Hot Air are complaining about Obama overthrowing Qaddafi, when they were pushing for war in Libya.

I am going to have a take down of Hot Air next week. I got sidetracked, but Now I am going to nail these propagandists.

33. 33 | January 25, 2013 9:41 am

This is actually a winning issue. Expect the Education Industrial Complex to go into attack mode.

34. 34 | January 25, 2013 9:42 am

@ buzzsawmonkey:

Yup, accepted by the American public.

35. 35 | January 25, 2013 9:42 am

@ MacDuff:
    Seniors & newborns that are imperfect are considered selfish under
    ObamaCare for wanting medical attention.
    They will decide who is worthy.

36 | January 25, 2013 9:47 am

I wonder if, in the Brave New World of Obamacare a highly paid (and highly taxed) software engineer will get “more conscientious care” than, say, an unemployed schmuck on public assistance with the same malady? Margaret Sanger’s dream taken to it’s logical conclusion!@ MacDuff:

Sure, one will do better in the cost.benefit analysis.
    People are going to be really upset when more comes out.
    But they like him.

37. 37 | January 25, 2013 9:47 am

Bobby jindal tells the GOP to stop being the stupid party.

We must stop being the stupid party. It’s time for a new Republican party that talks like adults. It’s time for us to articulate our plans and visions for America in real terms. We had a number of Republicans damage the brand this year with offensive and bizarre comments. We’ve had enough of that.

This was a shot across the bow against that Socialist scumbag Santorum.

38. 38 | January 25, 2013 9:48 am

@ MacDuff:

This is Eugenics.

39. 39 | January 25, 2013 9:48 am

Ooops, I was doing that “color blind” thing again. I guess I’m going to have to start giving a shit about race again…..how retro! I wish I could get a ’55 Corvette to go with my newfound fascination with racial identity… :|

40. 40 | January 25, 2013 9:50 am

@ MacDuff:
    Old news. When I had a license to sell life insurance, about 5 years or so ago now, there were stories about that in our industry. Believe it or not there was a case where a women died in an accident and she was tested positive for nicotine. It turns out she declared she was a non smoker, but she was a social smoker. The life insurance company declared her policy null and void due to the fact that she lied on her application.

This was a story from the 90′s actually. Turns out that after some court action the family was paid out a small fraction of the total policy.

41. taxfreekiller
    41 | January 25, 2013 9:59 am

Help for ms tfk.

Her question/idea is.

All the money she gives each year/election cycle rather than to the RNC or Congressional/Senate re-elect deals ,,, she is thinking about all of her’s and all her buddies to give only to the NRA who do more to fight lots of the commie Democrat Senators and Congress ones than the dam RINO invested Republicans?

What say ?

for ms tfk by tfk

42. 42 | January 25, 2013 10:01 am

@ taxfreekiller:

Yes the NRA unlike the national Republican Party knows how to fight. They run effective ads and have a powerful infrastructure.

43. 43 | January 25, 2013 10:02 am

@ MacDuff:

Yeah the whole race crap is back. The Democrats pushed the envelope and many Republicans fell for the trap.

Get out your Bell Bottoms and Polyester suit.

44. 44 | January 25, 2013 10:06 am

This Apple fell far from the tree!

Rand Paul: “Any attack on Israel will be treated as an attack on the United States”

45. 45 | January 25, 2013 10:08 am

PaladinPhil wrote:

@ MacDuff:

While I haven’t had issues with life insurance, (thank God) I have to say that, during the health issues I been through over the past few years, my health insurance has been stellar. It’s FEHB (through my wife) and it’s expensive, but from my perspective, it’s more than worth it. I’ve a feeling that’ll be changing in pretty short order…….

46. taxfreekiller
    46 | January 25, 2013 10:09 am

oops, got in trouble with the boss,,,

She will still give $ to Ted Cruz….

47. citizen_q
    47 | January 25, 2013 10:11 am

Wow! high Cholesterol? Even if controlled with statins? Some people are genetically predisposed to high cholesterol.

48. 48 | January 25, 2013 10:21 am

@ citizen_q:

Yeah, we have to have blood tests and everything. Interestingly, my cholestrol levels were all “Ideal” except my HDL, which was a 38 (40 is “Ideal”). That is a huge change from my pre-surgery days. I just have a little more weight to lose, and I won’t have to pay the premium. It is a pretty heafty premium, too. $800 for me and $800 for my wife if she doesn’t get down to their required levels. We hope that we can both beat the deadline of November of this year to do so. Neither of us smoke, so that is one thing going for us. What I worry about is that they’ll eventually require exercise and other forms of monitoring. I exercise, but I don’t want my health insurance monitoring everything that I do. It is a Brave New World ObamaCare is ushering in.

49 | January 25, 2013 10:22 am

ObamaCare is a lot like herd management.

50. 50 | January 25, 2013 10:25 am

The dream of Eugenics is upon us.

51 | January 25, 2013 10:25 am

Look up nutrition.diet by blood type foods and recipes for them listed. Interesting things you haven’t eaten in a while and the weight will descend on its own

52. AZfederalist
    52 | January 25, 2013 10:26 am

ObamaCare is a lot like herd management.

Threadwinner right there.

53 | January 25, 2013 10:27 am

@ citizen_q:

Selective eugenics coming to a neighborhood near you. Nanny Bloomberg will be happy with the government control.

54. 55 | January 25, 2013 10:30 am

@ waldensianspirit:

I am using a calorie counting app on my iPhone. If things go the way I intend, I’ll finish losing my weight around March 30. It is all about staying on the diet, though. I am very much addicted to sweets. I struggle with that every day. I just have to rigorously count calories, and stick to the plan. That is a trick, but it is well worth doing. I am going to get to where I want tobe. I was 198 this morning, down from over 315 at my top weight. DOwn from 304 at the start of my bariactric program. That’s not bad weight loss, but I really want to get another 20 pounds off of me.

55. 56 | January 25, 2013 10:34 am

ObamaCare is a lot like herd management.

Good analogy there, Mr. RIX!

56. 57 | January 25, 2013 10:36 am

@ Speranza:

Derek Jeter will be be part of the elite.

57. 58 | January 25, 2013 10:37 am

With Pepsi supporting this Global Warming Progressive crap, maybe the Right should rethink its support of Big Corporations. These Corps support Leftist causes.

58. 59 | January 25, 2013 10:37 am

I am disappointed in Jeter here. He is not expert in this area and instead has become a tool for the Left.

59. citizen_q
    60 | January 25, 2013 10:39 am

@ AZfederalist:
    Glen Beck was making the metaphor of farmer and cattle back in the days when he was on Fox. From where I sit, it’s a pretty good one.

61 | January 25, 2013 10:39 am

@ MacDuff:

How ya doin Mac?

61. Alberta Oil Peon
    62 | January 25, 2013 10:39 am

Naw, all you have to do is go to public schools, where they don’t teach anymore, they just indoctrinate.

62. 63 | January 25, 2013 10:40 am

@ MacDuff:

How ya doin Mac?

“Finer than frog hair” as my father would say……

64 | January 25, 2013 10:41 am

Looks like Rahm is trying out for the role of Bloomberg’s apprentice:

Rahm Emanuel Demands Banks Stop Doing Business With Gun Manufacturers…

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, moving to take a lead role in the gun control debate, is turning up the pressure on banks that do business with firearms manufacturers.

Emanuel is sending letters to two major financial institutions, TD Bank and Bank of America, which offer lines of credit to gun makers suggesting that they stop lending money to the manufacturers if they don’t come out for new gun restrictions.

“TD Bank currently aids the gun manufacturing industry through a $60 million revolving line of credit with Smith & Wesson, a gun manufacturer that produces the AR-15 – an assault weapon that was used by James Holmes to kill 12 people and wound 58 in a crowded movie theatre in Aurora,” Emanuel’s missive to TD CEO Bharat Masrani states. “I ask you to use your influence to push this company to find common ground with the vast majority of Americans who support a military weapons and ammunition ban and comprehensive background checks.”

64. Alberta Oil Peon
    65 | January 25, 2013 10:44 am

@ Speranza:
    No, it could be that because he’s dumb enough to quack that “we’re seeing more and more natural disasters each year, it seems like”, when in fact the contrary is true, that he is likely to become a Democrat.

The Dems own Global Warming, but it suits their agenda to let other stupid parties use it.

65. 66 | January 25, 2013 10:46 am

I am sure Derek Jeter will way in on this important issue. Pepsi is getting his talking points together!

66. 67 | January 25, 2013 10:47 am

@ unclassifiable:

We have to find a way to get people to see that being “low info” is not cool, in other words, shameful and ridiculous -- and that it’s “cool” to be aware of what’s really going on in the world.

67. 68 | January 25, 2013 10:47 am

@ Alberta Oil Peon:

Pepsi is sponsoring him. They are probably paying him to say this crap. What the hell he knows.

69 | January 25, 2013 10:50 am

Good! Steady pace as you go

69. Alberta Oil Peon
    70 | January 25, 2013 10:51 am

@ PaladinPhil:
    Now that is stupid. Unless the insurance company could prove that her car wreck was caused by her fumbling to light a coffin nail while driving, her death was not nicotine-related, and they should pay the whole sum. If she had died from lung cancer or heart disease, different story.

If you are going sell life insurance, run it on a sound actuarial basis, or get out of the pool.

70. 71 | January 25, 2013 10:53 am

@ 1389AD:
    I couldn’t agree more. It is shameful to be a low information voter. These people don’t know anything about what is going on, but they have an opinion. They are willfully ignorant, but they feel they have the right to force their opinion on the rest of us. I don’t know what you do about it, though. There isn’t a “cool central” where all this is determined. It is the culture. You have to defeat these people culturally.

71. 72 | January 25, 2013 10:56 am

They are reporting that the Appeals Court has found Obama’s “recess appointments” to the NLRB were Unconstitutional. Yay! And slap down for the god king is a good thing. I am sure Obama will appeal. We’ll see what the Supreme Court says about this.

73 | January 25, 2013 10:57 am

Poll: 65% Of Firearm Owners Would Defy Government Attempts To Confiscate Guns…

A recent poll finds that two-thirds of gun owners will defy new restrictions on firearms.

According to Reason.com 65 percent of respondents said they would “defy the law” to keep their guns if the federal government passed a law to take them away.

Question 47 of the poll asked those with guns in their home the following:

“If the government passed a law to take your guns, would you give up your guns or defy the law and keep your guns?”

Sixty-five percent reported they would “defy the law.”

74 | January 25, 2013 10:58 am

Of course they are. You can’t make recess appointments when Congress isn’t in recess.

And the president doesn’t get to decide when they’re in recess. Otherwise, he could make appointments at lunchtime, or on the weekend.

75 | January 25, 2013 11:02 am

MacDuff wrote:

@ MacDuff:

How ya doin Mac?

“Finer than frog hair” as my father would say……

Well damn buddy! That’s good!

76 | January 25, 2013 11:02 am

The recess appointment power needs to be done away with, anyway. It has no practical value in the modern era. It made sense when Congress was only in session a few months out of the year, and people had to travel by horseback.

76. 77 | January 25, 2013 11:08 am

New Thread.

77. 78 | January 25, 2013 11:18 am

waldensianspirit wrote:

I’m cautiously intrigued and I’d like to investigate further. Could you recommend any resources? I found a chart entitled “Dr. Peter J. D’Adamo Cook Right 4 Your Type”, is that it?

I’d any direction you could render….

78. 79 | January 25, 2013 11:28 am

@ 1389AD:

Perhaps it could be done with humor.