NRA Emails What is Your State Doing?

by Mars ( 69 Comments › )
Filed under Conservatism, government, Patriotism, Politics, Republican Party, Second Amendment, Uncategorized, Weapons at January 29th, 2013 - 8:00 pm

This is going to be a different type of thread.  It’s kind of an audience participation thread.  I received an email today detailing all the things my current State Legislature is trying to do to help protect our Second Amendment Rights.  So I am going to paste the body of the email in this article and I’d ask everyone that has received a similar email or anyone that knows first hand what is going on at their state level to detail this information in their comments so we have an idea of just what exactly is being done where.

THREAD UPDATE: Please refer to this NRA-ILA website for a  list of currently pending state legislation regarding gun laws. Hat tip Lobo91.

MONTANA: The 2013 Legislative Session Starts Off Strong

The 2013 legislative session is underway and several pro-gun bills have been introduced.

House Bill 205

, sponsored by state Representative Krayton Kerns (R-58), would legalize the use of suppressors for all hunting. HB 205 has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee. For more information on firearms and suppressors, click here.

House Bill 223

, sponsored by state Representative Mike Miller (R-84), would exempt non-profit shooting ranges from property tax. HB 223 has been referred to the House Taxation Committee.

House Bill 240, sponsored by state Representative Cary Smith (R-55), is known as the “Higher Education Rights Restoration Act.” Among other constitutional protections, this bill would limit the authority of the Board of Regents and University System to regulate firearms. HB 240 has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee.

Senate Bill 145, sponsored by state Senator Frederick Moore (R-20), is a much-needed bill which would make all information relating to concealed weapon permit (CWP) holders confidential. The bill was heard in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, but has not yet been voted on. Please contact committee members and respectfully request that they support SB 145.  Contact information for the Senate Judiciary Committee can be found below.

Additionally, these pro-gun bills are currently in the drafting process:

LC 1042 will allow for permitless carry within city limits.

LC 1041 will create a prohibited places exemption for CWP holders.

The NRA will continue to keep you apprised of new legislation as well as the advancement of current bills.

Please post any actions being taken at your state level in the comments section for everyone to see.

I apologize for the dead links in the body.  The NRA sent it to me that way, I’m not sure why.

Comments

69 Responses to “NRA Emails What is Your State Doing?”

1 | January 29, 2013 8:19 pm

The NRA is screwed up as far as websites go. They aren’t putting much effort into making their site usable. They should have had this down years ago.

http://www.nramedia.org/ E.G.

2. Buffalobob
    2 | January 29, 2013 8:30 pm

In a e mail today the CMP Civilian Marksman Program announced Effective immediately, that if you live in New York State and you order a Ml Grand rifle they will have to ship it to a licensed gun dealer. (can you say gun registration?) Ammunition will have the same restrictions starting in 2014. The 2nd amendment does now not apply according to the Democrat politicians and the beloved Governor.

3 | January 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Actually, if you look here, you’ll find all the information that goes into those emails for the entire country.

4 | January 29, 2013 8:45 pm

my state is locked, loaded and awaiting events…plans are to put Billy The Kid on our new $1 bill…fuck the feds

5. Mars
    6 | January 29, 2013 8:53 pm

Just thought it would be a good thread. Nice place for everyone to share what has happened in their state in regards to preventing the feds bs.

Not really thrilled about the way the NRA site is setup. A state by state summary would be better. I know you can do that through the search. I just prefer the formatting in the email better.

7 | January 29, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks.

8 | January 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Mars wrote:

Too many websites are designed by people who have no clue about what information the site users are really looking for. Their only real concern is making the site look “flashy and ‘Hi-Tech’” enough to impress whoever it was that hired them. :evil:

8. Mars
    9 | January 29, 2013 9:21 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:
    Yeah, I know, I’ve actually made that mistake a couple times.

10 | January 29, 2013 9:27 pm

@ Mars:
    Same here, it’s too easy to do sometimes. :o pps:

11 | January 29, 2013 9:56 pm

Humor Break:

Hitler discovers P-MAGS are backordered at Brownells

12 | January 29, 2013 10:06 pm

I’ve updated the thread with the link that Lobo provided in #3 above.

13 | January 29, 2013 10:07 pm

What we can look forward to:

Bloomberg’s Super PAC Running Ads Targeting Democrat Running To Fill Jesse Jackson Jr.’s Seat Over Her “A” Rating From NRA…

“In the race to replace Jesse Jackson, watch out for Debbie Halvorson. When she was in Congress before, Halvorson got an ‘A’ from the NRA. The NRA: Against comprehensive background checks, against banning deadly assault weapons, against banning high-capacity ammunition clips,” the ad’s narrator says. “Halvorson even co-sponsored a bill to allow some criminals to carry loaded hidden guns across state lines. Debbie Halvorson — when it comes to preventing gun violence, she gets an ‘F.’ “

13. Mars
    14 | January 29, 2013 10:10 pm

What we can look forward to:

I dare that POS to try that in my states. He’ll guarantee that the NRA approved candidate wins.

Even our damn dems have to make sure to keep their A rating.

16 | January 29, 2013 10:10 pm

What we can look forward to:

I just saw that. I wonder if some of our NYC bloogers could please tell us when Doomberg’s term will be up.

15. 17 | January 29, 2013 10:12 pm

@ huckfunn:

The end of this year. In a just world, Bloomberg would be charged with treason, but this is not a perfect world. Scoundrel like him get rewarded.

16. Mars
    18 | January 29, 2013 10:12 pm

I believe they should be sued over that statement.

#1 Nobody is putting out bills to allow criminals to do anything with firearms. So that’s a blatant lie.

#2 He must prove that she has failed to prevent gun violence. I would say nothing she has supported has had anything to do with gun violence.

17. Mars
    19 | January 29, 2013 10:13 pm

@ huckfunn:

Apparently treason is an approved activity in this country now, since only 3 senators opposed the appointment of a traitor to Sec of State.

20 | January 29, 2013 10:16 pm

huckfunn wrote:

What we can look forward to:

I’m not a New Yorker but I can tell you that yesterday would not be soon enough…

21 | January 29, 2013 10:16 pm

@ huckfunn:

He and Obama are peas in a pod. What’s your take on possible replacements? No one could be any worse. What’s Rudy doing?

22 | January 29, 2013 10:17 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

Yessir!

23 | January 29, 2013 10:18 pm

Mars wrote:

I believe they should be sued over that statement.

Liberals really don’t give a damn about the truth.

24 | January 29, 2013 10:21 pm

@ huckfunn:

Probably Mark Green

25 | January 29, 2013 10:21 pm

@ 6 Mars: Still good info. IMO it’s vitally important for people to protect the second amendment. It’s the canary in the mine watching out for lib gas. It can’t be repeated enough. form is not necessarily essential, but I hesitate to refer people to the NRA site. Better to put the content up here.

24. Mars
    26 | January 29, 2013 10:24 pm

darkwords wrote:

That’s really what I wanted to do here, but the site is pretty dead tonight and those that are here aren’t really interested.

I was hoping to get a quick “at a glance” audience participation listing of legislative action on the state level.

All we ever hear anymore is how things are going wrong, I wanted to get a great list of what is going right.

27 | January 29, 2013 10:27 pm

@ huckfunn:

Probably Mark Green

A Naderite. That’s just about right. Isn’t there a moderate extremist up there?

28 | January 29, 2013 10:28 pm

@ Mars:

Unfortunately, we lost control of the state House in November, so we’re pretty much screwed here in Colorado. Dems have both houses of the legislature, and our governor is a disciple of Bloomberg.

27. Mars
    29 | January 29, 2013 10:31 pm

@ Mars:
    Unfortunately, we lost control of the state House in November, so we’re pretty much screwed here in Colorado. Dems have both house of the legislature, and our governor is a disciple of Bloomberg.

Colorado started going down the shitter when the granolas started their takeover and spread.

I lived most of my life in Wyoming and we watched in sadness as they started their takeover of your state. Then the creeping sickness spread out of Jackson Hole in our state. Many of us ran for MT, but they were spreading out of Bozeman and Missoula.

I hear there are still some uninfected locations in Alaska. Meet you there?

30 | January 29, 2013 10:35 pm

@ Mars:

The infection is mostly confined to Boulder and the Denver metro area, but it’s enough that they’ve gotten control of the state government.

Things are going to get interesting here if they go too far.

31 | January 29, 2013 10:38 pm

Mars wrote:

darkwords wrote:

My greatest concern here in Minnesota is the State wants to ban the private sale of firearms which would require some form of mandatory registration to be even close to effective. All the Lawmakers will succeed in doing will be to create a new class of law breaker.

I refuse to label myself as a criminal just because I don’t conform to some idiot politician’s prejudices.

30. Mars
    33 | January 29, 2013 10:40 pm

@ Mars:
    Things are going to get interesting here if they go too far.

Yeah lucky me, the six months I work down there and where do I get stuck. Boulder.

Though my time off was fun. Lived in the hotel in Brighton, spent most of my time in Thornton, and at the new (at that time) mall over south of boulder.

31. Mars
    34 | January 29, 2013 10:42 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:
    Yeah, I was born there, glad I got out in seven days. Most states are trying to protect our rights and freedom and MN seems to be doubling down on taking them away.

32. Mars
    35 | January 29, 2013 10:42 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

No NRA news for state gun laws in Texas but Senator Cruz had a few words for some businesses in Illinois.

I’m loving everything I’ve been hearing from Cruz today. He really isn’t afraid to speak his mind.

36 | January 29, 2013 10:44 pm

@ Mars:

Things are going to get interesting here if they go too far.

As long as most of the Liberals stay in the State capital; staging a coup d’état to free the State becomes a little easier… :wink:

34. unclassifiable
    37 | January 29, 2013 10:44 pm

@ unclassifiable:

I would love Armalite and Springfield Armory to get down to Texas also.

38 | January 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Mars wrote:

@ Da_Beerfreak:

It really is the land of 10,000 skyblue kool-aid drinkers. :evil:

36. Mars
    39 | January 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

Mars wrote:
    @ Da_Beerfreak:

It really is the land of 10,000 skyblue kool-aid drinkers.

Let the michigan infection spread there and it will be land of the 10,000 mosques.

37. unclassifiable
    40 | January 29, 2013 10:49 pm

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

Barry Goldwater

41 | January 29, 2013 10:50 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

@ unclassifiable:

I would love Armalite and Springfield Armory to get down to Texas also.

Gregg Abbott and Rick Perry are actively campaigning for blue state industries to relocate to Texas. It will be interesting to see how many companies take them up on it.

39. unclassifiable
    42 | January 29, 2013 10:55 pm

@ huckfunn:

Well we need some ammo plants also.

I think the state can encourage an enthusiastic non-union workforce. Relocation is never easy but I think we will snag our share.

43 | January 29, 2013 10:56 pm

Mars wrote:

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

Mars wrote:
    @ Da_Beerfreak:

It really is the land of 10,000 skyblue kool-aid drinkers.

Like having Al Franken, Keith Ellison, and Mogadishu on the Mississippi ain’t enough torment…

At least we have Michele Bachmann…

41. unclassifiable
    44 | January 29, 2013 10:57 pm

@ unclassifiable:

We also need to get product liability laws in place before Congress acts.

45 | January 29, 2013 10:57 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

Barry Goldwater

Violence is rarely the answer. But when it is it is the only answer.

46 | January 29, 2013 11:00 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:

Violence is rarely the answer. But when it is it is the only answer.

People who say that violence never solves anything aren’t doing it right.

44. unclassifiable
    47 | January 29, 2013 11:04 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:

Ahem

48 | January 29, 2013 11:04 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:

Violence is rarely the answer. But when it is it is the only answer.

People who say that violence never solves anything aren’t doing it right.

Word.

49 | January 29, 2013 11:07 pm

@ Mars:
    unclassifiable wrote:

@ unclassifiable:

I would love Armalite and Springfield Armory to get down to Texas also.

Don’t forget DSA. Viva la FAL!

Rock River Arms is in IL as well…

47. unclassifiable
    50 | January 29, 2013 11:12 pm

@ The Osprey:

Yes we have a willing and enthusiastic work force. We can assure you that your products will be produced, tested, marketed, and distributed with loving care by the good folks of the state of Texas.

51 | January 29, 2013 11:14 pm

We have DPMS Firearms in St. Cloud, Minnesota; for now.

49. Mars
    52 | January 29, 2013 11:15 pm

Sorry, just got a call from my ex. It’s really sweet of her to offer to have me violate tax law in order to enrich her. Then threaten me with jail for a civil matter which I can’t do anything about.

It must be nice to be bi-polar and never have to live with the repercussions of your actions.

50. Mars
    53 | January 29, 2013 11:16 pm

We have a few manufacturers in MT. One of them has some of the most expensive guns I’ve ever seen.

54 | January 29, 2013 11:19 pm

@ Mars:
    That’s why I never got married. Society has messed up a whole generation of females with misguided liberal crap… :evil:

52. unclassifiable
    55 | January 29, 2013 11:24 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:
    @ Mars:

Well I think there is a point to taking business from a state whose political leaders have expressled ill will towards them. If your state is still viable in that regard I think it would be a good idea to keep what you got. Given the current administration I see a lot of interstate commerce hassle on the horizon.

53. unclassifiable
    56 | January 29, 2013 11:28 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:
    @ Mars:

Sorry to say my ex is in that camp also. However I have only had to speak to her once since the divorce.

54. Mars
    57 | January 29, 2013 11:29 pm

@ unclassifiable:
    The idiot judge decided it was fair to give a bi-polar run risk near equal custody.

59 | January 29, 2013 11:40 pm

Mars wrote:

Well, here’s a quick Spaghetti Western Style Roundup of what is going on in Arizona, courtesy the AZDL page I linked earlier HB is House Bill SB is AZ Senate Bill.

THE GOOD
    Number: AZ HB 2291 -- Updated (New 01/18/2013)
    Summary:
    An AzCDL requested bill that would prohibit enforcement, by state and federal officials, of federal firearms laws relating to a “personal firearm, a firearm accessory or ammunition, that is owned or manufactured commercially or privately in this state and that remains exclusively with the borders of” Arizona. Also provides that the Arizona Attorney General may defend a citizen of Arizona who is prosecuted by the feds for violation of related federal firearms laws.

Number: AZ HB 2431 -- Updated (New 01/18/2013)
    Summary:
    Would clarify that members of the Arizona Guard (composed of the state militia -- see HB 2433) may possess “particularly suited firearms or equipment” which include firearms with standard/full capacity magazines and semi-automatic pistols, rifles and shotguns.
    Comments:
    In a nutshell, since the Arizona Guard is composed of the state militia, restrictions cannot be made on things like magazine capacity and firearms features.

Number: AZ HB 2432 -- Updated (Status 01/25/2013)
    Summary:
    Creates a Citizens Marksmanship fund to provide firearms for the training of citizens who are eligible for service in the Arizona Guard.
    Comments:
    See HB 2431 and HB 2433.

Number: AZ HB 2433 -- Updated (Status 01/25/2013)
    Summary:
    Eliminates the age cap (currently 45 years old) on who is a member of the state militia (i.e., all able-bodied citizens capable of bearing arms).
    Comments:
    See HB 2431

Number: AZ SB 1112 -- Updated (Status 01/25/2013)
    Summary:
    Comments:
    Senate version of HB 2291.

THE BAD
    Number: AZ HB 2378 -- Updated (Status 01/25/2013)
    Summary:
    Would eliminate state preemption over the disposition of surrendered or confiscated firearms.
    Comments:
    Would allow for the destuction of perfectly good firearms at the whim of local politicians.

Number: AZ HB 2380 -- Updated (Status 01/24/2013)
    Summary:
    Calls for the elimination of Constitutional Carry and the re-establishment of the CCW permit training requirements totally under the control of the Department of Public Safety.
    Comments:
    From the unarmed subjects are good and armed citizens are bad ideology.

THE UGLY
    Number: AZ SB 1050 -- Updated (Status 01/18/2013)
    Sponsor: Ableser
    Summary:
    Would make it illegal to possess a magazine or any other “feeding device” capable of holding more than 10 rounds. The penalty for the mere possession of your current standard capacity (i.e., greater than 10 rounds) magazines would be a Class 4 Felony.
    Comments:
    Would make instant felons out of a million or so law-abiding gun owners in Arizona.

Number: AZ SB 1229 -- Updated (New 01/29/2013)
    Summary:
    Similar to SB 1050. Would make it illegal to possess a magazine or any other “feeding device” capable of holding more than 10 rounds. The penalty would be a Class 3 Felony. Would exempt standard capacity magazines possessed prior to the effective date of new law.

Number: AZ SB 1228 -- Updated (New 01/29/2013)
    Summary:
    Would repeal state preemption over the disposition of surrendered and forfeited firearms.
    Comments:
    Would allow local jurisdictions to “punish” firearms by destroying them rather than selling them and bringing in much needed revenue.

Number: AZ HB 2381 -- Updated (Status 01/24/2013)
    Sponsor: Campbell
    Summary:
    Would prohibit the sale or transfer of semi-automatic pistols or rifles with certain features (arbitrarily defined as “assault weapons”) that did not involve a licensed firearms dealer. Adds a civil fine of up to $10,000. Also heaps on extra requirements to make gun show sales more difficult and adds a Class 1 Misdemeanor for private sales at gun shows that don’t go through a dealer.
    Comments:
    If you own a firearm that has features that the sponsors of this bill deems unacceptable, you need watching.

60 | January 29, 2013 11:43 pm

Given that the Arizona Legislature is dominated by conservatives, I think the it most likely that we will be the victors of this Mexican standoff.

57. Mars
    61 | January 29, 2013 11:45 pm

The Osprey wrote:

Mars wrote:

THE GOOD
    Number: AZ HB 2291 — Updated (New 01/18/2013)
    Summary:
    Number: AZ HB 2431 — Updated (New 01/18/2013)
    Summary:
    Would clarify that members of the Arizona Guard (composed of the state militia — see HB 2433) may possess “particularly suited firearms or equipment” which include firearms with standard/full capacity magazines and semi-automatic pistols, rifles and shotguns.
    Comments:
    Number: AZ HB 2432 — Updated (Status 01/25/2013)
    Summary:
    Comments:
    See HB 2431 and HB 2433.
    Number: AZ HB 2433 — Updated (Status 01/25/2013)
    Summary:
    Comments:
    See HB 2431
    Number: AZ SB 1112 — Updated (Status 01/25/2013)
    Summary:
    Comments:
    Senate version of HB 2291.
    THE BAD
    Number: AZ HB 2378 — Updated (Status 01/25/2013)
    Comments:
    Number: AZ HB 2380 — Updated (Status 01/24/2013)
    Summary:
    Comments:
    From the unarmed subjects are good and armed citizens are bad ideology.

THE UGLY
    Number: AZ SB 1050 — Updated (Status 01/18/2013)
    Sponsor: Ableser
    Comments:
    Number: AZ SB 1229 — Updated (New 01/29/2013)
    Summary:
    Number: AZ SB 1228 — Updated (New 01/29/2013)
    Comments:
    Number: AZ HB 2381 — Updated (Status 01/24/2013)
    Sponsor: Campbell

Excellent summary. Thanks.

58. Mars
    62 | January 29, 2013 11:46 pm

I may have to duck out of here. Somehow the call with the psycho brought yesterdays headache charging back full force.

63 | January 29, 2013 11:48 pm

The South Koreans can take care of themselves without relying on us. Let’s bring the 8th Army home and set them up along the boarder with Mexico. They know what it takes to keep a boarder safe and secure.

The Southern board has long since stopped being a law enforcement issue and is now a national security problem.

64 | January 30, 2013 12:06 am

Ok, gun nutz…there is a historical/technical error related to the firearms used in that scene from the Good, The Bad and The Ugly…

What are the firearms used in that scene, and what is the historical/technical error?

Hint- the firearms themselves are correct for the year the movie was set in -- 1862. The civil war battle referenced in the film is the Battle of Glorieta Pass in New Mexico, which took place in March of that year.

I will send the first one who answers it correctly a bottle of Arizona Gunslinger Habañero sauce. ;)

65 | January 30, 2013 12:15 am

Egypt might collapse.

62. Mars
    66 | January 30, 2013 12:17 am

The Osprey wrote:

Hint- the firearms themselves are correct for the year the movie was set in — 1862. The civil war battle referenced in the film is the Battle of Glorieta Pass in New Mexico, which took place in March of that year.

Are you talking about the fact they were using brass cartridges? Yeah not available that year.

Colt 1851 Navy cartridge
    Colt 1851 Navy Percussion
    Remington 1858 New Army

There’s also a gun in the gunshop that wasn’t available until several years later.

Had to look up the guns. Already knew about the brass cartridges from a discussion with my father several years ago.

67 | January 30, 2013 12:22 am

Mars wrote:

Yes. When they zoom in on Lee Van Cleef’s belt, there are the cartridges, yet you can clearly see the nipples for the caps on the cylinder of his 1858 Remington.

64. Mars
    68 | January 30, 2013 12:28 am

@ The Osprey:
    The other cartridge error is when Blondie is reloading his gun he’s loading brass cartridges. According to my understanding there weren’t any brass available. Not sure if the gun mod for the Navy was available yet at that time, but if it was it would probably have been copper cartridges.

65. 69 | January 30, 2013 12:56 am

The Osprey wrote:

Mars wrote:

And there’s another error. He’s getting ready for a gunfight using a revolver with no caps on the nipples. Not a choice I’d make…