Hemp appreciation OOT

by Rodan ( 136 Comments › )
Filed under OOT, Open thread at January 30th, 2013 - 8:57 pm

Hemp is a plant that is banned in the US. The reason it has been banned is because of its association with marijuana. This crop has many uses and could rake in a lot of revenue. It can be used for stationary, clothes and even rope!

Hemprope

Discuss Hemp or any other subject. This is the OOT!

Tags: ,

Comments

136 Responses to “Hemp appreciation OOT”

1 | January 30, 2013 9:03 pm

hemp brownie recipe for sale…
    contact my promotion office….thanks

2 | January 30, 2013 9:05 pm

@ heysoos:

Cannabutter!

3 | January 30, 2013 9:06 pm

@ Bumr50:
    sandles!

4 | January 30, 2013 9:07 pm

(amish mode on)

aye, english. that’s a fine stout rope ya got there!

5 | January 30, 2013 9:08 pm

hemp giveth, hemp taketh away

6 | January 30, 2013 9:08 pm

My grandfather’s first job—at age three—was ropemaking.

7 | January 30, 2013 9:08 pm

fear the hemp bro…
    jus sayin

8 | January 30, 2013 9:10 pm

It is way past time to send Rodan back to reeducation camp for a nice long stay… L :lol: L

9. brookly red
    10 | January 30, 2013 9:14 pm

hemporoni pizza…
    hemp and cheese…
    hemp burger…
    hemp dog…
    hemp and tonic…
    etc

11 | January 30, 2013 9:14 pm

heysoos wrote:

hemp giveth, hemp taketh away

we have an amish hardware store near my parents, the finest hemp rope i have ever seen. my parents use different gauges of it extensively.

the stuff is amazingly tough.

12 | January 30, 2013 9:17 pm

@ heysoos:

Don’t forget the laundry hemper.

13 | January 30, 2013 9:18 pm

heysoos wrote:
    hemp giveth, hemp taketh away

the stuff is amazingly tough.

you can do all sorts of groovy stuff with hemp…we are way behind the curve..I hate the feds

14 | January 30, 2013 9:19 pm

heysoos wrote:

you can do all sorts of groovy stuff with hemp

Sure, add an “S” and two other Stooges and you have a movie short…

15 | January 30, 2013 9:20 pm

@ heysoos:

i have two friends who are in the import biz for hemp. the industrial slings they get from eastern europe are amazing.

this stuff does not rot or get mold. we are certainly way behind the curve.

16 | January 30, 2013 9:25 pm

meanwhile , our govt postures and fluffs up for the gun control cameras, while industry suffers…man, I tell you..what am I supposed to think bro?…these people are killing me

17. 17 | January 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Despite all the humor involved in my support of hemp, I am more than a little bit concerned by it’s use as a recreational consumable. My support of it literally is the dozen other commercial uses of the plant.

It’s applications in the agricultural industry alone are in my book enough to justify ending it’s prohibition. It could and should be a multi-billion dollar a year non recreational consumable industry.

Cannabis Sativa out produces acre per acre tree’s for it’s capacity to produce the pulp required to make paper, and out produces Cotton acre per acre for the fibers required to make textile products.

It was used up until the 30′s to prevent frost from damaging the orange crops in California and Florida and was used for thousands of years as a soil nutrition restorative (as a crop rotation crop) that has never been equaled.

The Oil from the seeds is both useful as a nutritional supplement and can be used as a base for biofuels such as biodiesel or alcohol.

18 | January 30, 2013 9:28 pm

doriangrey wrote:

Hemp fiber for clothing is very much like linen—and, unlike linen, is kosher when combined with wool.

19 | January 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Heh. Bob Menendez to take over John Kerry’s seat as Senate Chairman of “Foreign Relations”.

20. Mars
    20 | January 30, 2013 9:30 pm

doriangrey wrote:

It is absurd. From my understanding there is both non-thc hemp and even standard hemp has something like less that .3% thc.

Current “weed” has actually been specially bred for it’s thc qualities, so they really aren’t even the same plant anymore.

21 | January 30, 2013 9:31 pm

@ huckfunn:

So the creepy child-man who solicits underage whores is going to step into the shoes of the gigolo traitor?

22. 22 | January 30, 2013 9:31 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

doriangrey wrote:

I was actually quite surprised the first time I ever felt Hemp denim, I was expecting to to be much coarser and more like burlap, but it wasn’t at all. It was softer than cotton denim.

23. 23 | January 30, 2013 9:31 pm

@ huckfunn:

He knows all about foreign AFFAIRS!

24 | January 30, 2013 9:31 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

ok, why?

25. 25 | January 30, 2013 9:32 pm

You are Hemp’s #1 fan.Especially the rope based products!

26 | January 30, 2013 9:34 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

@ huckfunn:

Did you watch the vid? He’s saying that the Secret Service guys who hooked up with hookers in Columbia, or wherever, should be fired.

27 | January 30, 2013 9:35 pm

I use Hempers…super absorbent, low profile snuggle fit, and after you pee, you smell like petunias

28 | January 30, 2013 9:35 pm

@ huckfunn:

He knows all about foreign AFFAIRS!

He’s got the resume.

29. 29 | January 30, 2013 9:35 pm

@ huckfunn:

Yup.

30 | January 30, 2013 9:36 pm

heysoos wrote:

the pendulum will swing back, it always does.

31 | January 30, 2013 9:37 pm

ok, why?

The Torah explicitly forbids “shatnes,” the wearing of fabric that combines wool and linen fibers.

Oddly enough, that was never expanded to a general principle about “plant and animal fibers” across the board, so there is nothing forbidden about combining linen and silk, or cotton and wool. Also, as an interesting side note, I was at a museum exhibit some years ago that showed some fabrics from around 400 CE; the wool fabrics, and the linen fabrics, were intact, but the wool-and-linen combinations were badly deteriorated.

Anyway, hemp fibers are a plant fiber with properties much the same as linen; lightness and coolness. Combining them with wool would give a fabric similar to Palm Beach Cloth—light and supple for summer wear, but with some wool to prevent the wrinkling to which plant fibers are prone. And, unlike the wool-and-linen blend that is Palm Beach Cloth, it would be kosher to wear.

32 | January 30, 2013 9:37 pm

Mars wrote:

youd need a hell of a gravity bong to smoke enough of that to get anything from it.

33 | January 30, 2013 9:38 pm

heysoos wrote:

How ’bout Cokies. Sniffin them drawers will give you a buzz for sure.

34 | January 30, 2013 9:38 pm

huckfunn wrote:

On the other hand, he should keep his Senate seat …well, because. And the aide whose criminality was suppressed so he could win re-election should get to walk.

What a loathesome toad. And that’s his good side.

35. 35 | January 30, 2013 9:39 pm

Mars wrote:

Yea, Cannabis ruderalis produces almost no THC and there are several varieties of Cannabis sativa that also have very low to nearly non existent THC levels.

36 | January 30, 2013 9:39 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

ok. thanks for that.

a day where i dont learn something is like a day without sunshine.

37. 37 | January 30, 2013 9:39 pm

OK, I have to say this since no one else is:

C H O O O O O O M!

38 | January 30, 2013 9:40 pm

huckfunn wrote:

heysoos wrote:

How ’bout Cokies. Sniffin them drawers will give you a buzz for sure.

Charlie Daniels should write a song…it’s too good

39 | January 30, 2013 9:41 pm

ok. thanks for that.

One thing I forgot. The curtains of the Tabernacle were made of “shatnes,” wool and linen combined, and so were some of the High Priest’s clothes. It’s just the rest of us who weren’t permitted the resortwear blends.

40 | January 30, 2013 9:42 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

ok. thanks for that.

the priests have to look mahvelous!

the rest of you, not so much.

41 | January 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Macker wrote:

OK, I have to say this since no one else is:

C H O O O O O O M!

42 | January 30, 2013 9:44 pm

the priests have to look mahvelous!

You gotta keep cool when your main duty is to slaughter sacrifices.

43 | January 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Mars wrote:

northern Indiana is full of the remnants of WW1 hemp production, it’s a weed, grows in the drainage ditches…we used to go down there, snatch it, brick it up and sell it to stupid Canadians…they’d swap me hash from the ME at a five to one clip in Toronto…I love you guys!

44 | January 30, 2013 9:48 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

the priests have to look mahvelous!
    You gotta keep cool when your main duty is to slaughter sacrifices.

i agree. that’s some sweaty work.

45. Mars
    45 | January 30, 2013 9:49 pm

Mars wrote:

So let me get this straight. The government banned a useful plant that to eliminate a drug but that plant doesn’t actually have that drug? (Or at least infinitesimal amounts.)

Actually I’m well aware that it was mainly banned in order to help the timber, petroleum, and cotton industries.

Hemp producers didn’t have the political pull to compete.

46 | January 30, 2013 9:49 pm

@ huckfunn:

my poor synapses…i am so glad i am not trippin.

47 | January 30, 2013 9:50 pm

Inna Godda DeVitta baby…
    let’s go for a spin

48 | January 30, 2013 9:53 pm

@ huckfunn:

my poor synapses…i am so glad i am not trippin.

The colors, man… can you see the colors? :grin:

49. 49 | January 30, 2013 9:54 pm

Mars wrote:

Hemp producers didn’t have the political pull to compete.

Well, not actually accurate, various strains of Cannabis Sativa can have very high THC levels, and Cannabis Indica strains even more. combination of all three strains can have amazingly high THC levels.

50 | January 30, 2013 9:54 pm

huckfunn wrote:

The colors, man… can you see the colors? :grin:

i can hear them.

51 | January 30, 2013 9:56 pm

huckfunn wrote:

The colors, man… can you see the colors?

i can hear them.

Back in the day….

52 | January 30, 2013 9:58 pm

@ huckfunn:
    soothing thanks

53 | January 30, 2013 9:58 pm

@ huckfunn:

no quarter then some dead…

54 | January 30, 2013 10:02 pm

I’m gonna go scavenging for food in Santa Rosa before it gets too late. Anybody wanna come along?

55. Mars
    55 | January 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Mars wrote:
    Hemp producers didn’t have the political pull to compete.

Except industrial hemp is the low thc style. Sativa at least, was bred specifically for it’s THC qualities.

Indica I’m not as sure about.

I do know there are three specific varieties recognized in the EU (per wikipedia) grown for fiber, grown for oil, and grown for THC.

I really am learning a lot here. I agree that it absurd that we have bans in place on an important fiber and oil crop.

56 | January 30, 2013 10:04 pm

I admit, Led Zep pissing contests are a lot o fun

57. 57 | January 30, 2013 10:05 pm

Mars wrote:

Remnants of 1920′s -- 1930′s attempts to transform America into a Marxist/Socialist collective.

58 | January 30, 2013 10:05 pm

huckfunn wrote:

got you covered bro…you know the routine

59. Mars
    59 | January 30, 2013 10:07 pm

Mars wrote:
    Remnants of 1920′s — 1930′s attempts to transform America into a Marxist/Socialist collective.

Yep, pick and industry and regulate it out of existence. Same thing that is happening now.

I wish the hell Florida would have a full on revolt against the prohibitionist dems for the damage they are trying to do to the cigar industry with the new FDA regs.

It’s actually funny because at the state level at least a major figure in the cigar industry got elected to the state senate.

Maybe rodan knows more about it. I only know what I get from the people inside the industry.

60. 60 | January 30, 2013 10:09 pm

Mars wrote:

Sigh…wish I could still afford cigars… /oh dang coldwarrior I didn’t really say that… :twisted:

61. Mars
    61 | January 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Mars wrote:

I’m on a limited budget but I try to make sure to have a cigar every week or two.

Even with the taxes there are still some amazing cigars out there in the sub $8 range.

62. AZfederalist
    62 | January 30, 2013 10:11 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

reply | quote

Why is that?

63. AZfederalist
    63 | January 30, 2013 10:12 pm

@ huckfunn:

You just can’t make stuff like that up.

64. 64 | January 30, 2013 10:15 pm

@ Mars:

The Feds are the ones who killed the Cigar industry. Some Florida politicians spoke up, but the there is an element on the Right that supported the ban.

It’s not just Democrats who are prohibitionist. The Huckabee/Santorum/Akins wing want to ban alcohol as well.

65. 65 | January 30, 2013 10:17 pm

@ Mars:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    C. S. Lewis

66. Moe Katz
    66 | January 30, 2013 10:18 pm

doriangrey wrote:

This is from personal experience, I take it?

67. 67 | January 30, 2013 10:19 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

doriangrey wrote:
    This is from personal experience, I take it?

Here I must plead the 5th… :oops:

68. 68 | January 30, 2013 10:21 pm

I agree with that statement.

69. Mars
    69 | January 30, 2013 10:23 pm

@ Mars:

There is a negligible element on the right that has anything to do with that. The cigar prohibitions are completely coming out of the progressive side. The only part the right is complicit in is maintaining the cuban situation. And frankly I’ve talked to many cubans and can see why we don’t want to reward the castro regime.

And I just did a search and have yet to see any of the huckabee, santorum, or otherwise trying to ban alcohol. You’re now seeing shadows where none exist. I am no fan of religious progressives, but you’re way off on this one.

Only one party prohibited alcohol, only one party wants to slap massive warning labels on alcohol now.

The only problem I have on the cigar issue when it comes to republicans is that 100% haven’t signed up to oppose the fda regs when even many dems have. The only way that republicans are complicit is by their silence.

Research history. One side speaks against, the other regulates against. Only one side has been historically prohibitionist.

Even all the so-called “blue laws” were put into place by proto socialist progressive religious groups.

70. 70 | January 30, 2013 10:23 pm

I agree with that statement.

Heh heh heh, thought you might… :twisted:

71. Mars
    71 | January 30, 2013 10:31 pm

Rodan, you know you are a brother to me, but you are so busy watching for dangers from the right that you are going to be stabbed in the back by the left and possibly personally sodomized by Barney Frank.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the religious progressives on the right, their number one thing is that they are infected with the stupidity of the GOP elite. They will sabotage any efforts they ever attempt all by themselves.

72 | January 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Heh

Feel Good Story Of The Day: Piers Morgan Loses To RuPaul In TV Ratings…

How unbelievably pathetic, Piers Morgan is on CNN, RuPaul is on some channel I’ve never heard of called Logo TV.

73. CynicalConservative
    74 | January 30, 2013 10:34 pm

Your stalker is back down-thread Dorian.

(evil, stirring the pot)

((sorry admins, got an evil streak tonight))

/galt

74. AZfederalist
    75 | January 30, 2013 10:35 pm

@ Mars:

Hemp producers didn’t have the political pull to compete.

Same government that requires poisoning what would otherwise be a relatively harmless solvent in order to make sure that it isn’t misused such that the government would be deprived of tax money.

75. Mars
    76 | January 30, 2013 10:35 pm

Oh, I did.

Rodan is ordering a copy of a book I have, you should too.

Best non-fiction history book I’ve ever read.

76. Mars
    77 | January 30, 2013 10:37 pm

AZfederalist wrote:

@ Mars:
    Hemp producers didn’t have the political pull to compete.

Which solvent?

Let’s not forget the banning of DDT and return of Malaria in order to stop mass bird deaths that NEVER ACTUALLY HAPPENED, or were even going to happen.

78 | January 30, 2013 10:37 pm

78. Mars
    79 | January 30, 2013 10:39 pm

He’s one of the more active NRA leaders there has been.

79. 80 | January 30, 2013 10:40 pm

CynicalConservative wrote:

Your stalker is back down-thread Dorian.
    (evil, stirring the pot)
    ((sorry admins, got an evil streak tonight))
    /galt

Meh…

81 | January 30, 2013 10:42 pm

AZfederalist wrote:

Why is that?

Why is linen-and-wool cloth not kosher? Because the Torah says so.

Why is hemp-and-wool cloth not not kosher? Because the Torah doesn’t say so.

81. AZfederalist
    82 | January 30, 2013 10:43 pm

Which solvent?

Ethyl alcohol, when used as a solvent, it is sold as denatured alcohol. Regular grain alcohol with poison added so that people won’t drink it and thus deprive the government of tax revenue levied on drinking alcohol.

83 | January 30, 2013 10:44 pm

Mars wrote:

He’s one of the more active NRA leaders there has been.

Wayne is the senior paid official at the NRA. He runs the day-to-day operations.

The president, the other vice presidents, and the board are mostly figureheads.

83. AZfederalist
    84 | January 30, 2013 10:46 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

Thanks. Saw your reply upthread after I posted my question. Is this in the laws given to Moses, or was it added later?

84. Mars
    85 | January 30, 2013 10:48 pm

AZfederalist wrote:

Which solvent?

Aaah yep, got it.

85. CynicalConservative
    86 | January 30, 2013 10:49 pm

Yeah, I know, stirring up ####. Bad on me.

/galt

87 | January 30, 2013 10:49 pm

AZfederalist wrote:

The prohibition against wearing linen and wool mixed together (except for priests in certain circumstances I forget at the moment) is in the Biblical text. While the commentators expanded a number of Biblical laws one way or the other, they never, for some reason, extended the shatnes prohibitions to include any and all mixtures of plant and animal fibers, so it applies ONLY to linen and wool. Which means that hemp fibers would be a boon from a kosher point of view.

87. Mars
    88 | January 30, 2013 10:51 pm

Mars wrote:
    He’s one of the more active NRA leaders there has been.
    The president, the other vice presidents, and the board are mostly figureheads.

Well he’s doing a damn good job. The emails that come out of his office are really informative, and he isn’t afraid to take on the press or the politicians. A good man.

89 | January 30, 2013 10:51 pm

LaPierre is obviously a dangerously deranged extreme lunatic h8ter. ////////////////////

89. Prebanned
    90 | January 30, 2013 10:52 pm

Ethanol?

90. Mars
    91 | January 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Prebanned wrote:

Ethanol?

Yeah, same thing.

92 | January 30, 2013 10:55 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Of course.

The Eddie Eagle program is particularly diabolical.

93 | January 30, 2013 11:01 pm

I watched part of that hearing this morning. One of the dims, maybe Leahy, lamented that “we need to prevent straw purchasers from illegally buying guns for criminal gangs”. I noted that Erkel Holder was conspicuously absent.

94 | January 30, 2013 11:04 pm

95 | January 30, 2013 11:06 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Of course, the main way to do that is by prosecuting the buyers for lying on the 4473. That’s a felony punishable by 5 years in federal prison per violation.

But according to Biden, the feds don’t have time to prosecute violators.

95. AZfederalist
    96 | January 30, 2013 11:07 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Umm, isn’t that already illegal? All the gun stores I frequent have that “Don’t lie for the other guy” signs up. So how does any more law make what is already illegal less likely?

96. 97 | January 30, 2013 11:09 pm

Just saw the new FX show The Americans about KGB agents in America during the 80′s. Man it’s pretty good.

98 | January 30, 2013 11:11 pm

@ AZfederalist:

It’s illegal, but they almost never prosecute anyone for it. As Biden said during his little “task force” photo op, they don’t have time to do so.

But if they pass another new law (that they won’t enforce) Obama will get to make a speech, and pass out pens that he used to sign it, and maybe they can wheel out Gabby Giffords again.

99 | January 30, 2013 11:13 pm

@ AZfederalist:
    The Fast & Furious carnage in Mexico will continue for years to come and not one DOJ honcho was ever charged with anything. In fact, the guy (don’t remember his name) who was the brains behind the whole scheme will become the top turd of ATF.

99. Calo
    100 | January 30, 2013 11:14 pm

I just saw a clip of her today on the news.
    Rather shameful of the Dems to parade her around.

101 | January 30, 2013 11:16 pm

Calo wrote:

I just saw a clip of her today on the news.
    Rather shameful of the Dems to parade her around.

The most disgraceful part of that dog & pony show was that her husband was the lead handler.

102 | January 30, 2013 11:16 pm

The anti-gun crowd hates the Eddie Eagle program, probably because it actually works. This bunch of crap from the Violence Policy Center is particularly amusing:

Joe Camel with Feathers: How the NRA with Gun and Tobacco Industry Dollars Uses its Eddie Eagle Program to Market Guns to Kids

I haven’t quite figured out how anything in that program could be construed as “marketing to kids.” And then there’s the minor point that the NRA name or logo don’t appear anywhere in the course materials.

I guess it must be some of that subliminal messaging stuff…

102. Calo
    103 | January 30, 2013 11:16 pm

@ CynicalConservative:
    That nic is a little “off”.
    She also chimed in and flew off the handle the other day about another poster here. Seems to have a few people she likes to stalk.

104 | January 30, 2013 11:18 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Calo wrote:
    I just saw a clip of her today on the news.
    Rather shameful of the Dems to parade her around.

How else is he supposed to remain relevant, now that the shuttle program is dead and his wife’s no longer in Congress?

104. Mars
    105 | January 30, 2013 11:18 pm

I guess it must be some of that subliminal messaging stuff…

I guess my getting a hunters safety card at the age of 12 came with a free membership to the hitler youth.

106 | January 30, 2013 11:20 pm

Yup

106. Calo
    107 | January 30, 2013 11:21 pm

huckfunn wrote:
    Calo wrote:
    I just saw a clip of her today on the news.
    Rather shameful of the Dems to parade her around.

True. Didn’t think of that.

108 | January 30, 2013 11:21 pm

Obama lied…no skeets died:

Source: Number Of Times Obama Shot Skeet At Camp David . . . . One…

News of President Obama’s apparently long-secret fondness for skeet shooting came as a surprise to those who say they have witnessed the president’s “awkward” attempts at pinging the (clay) pigeons.

This has only happened with the president at Camp David, at most, a couple of times, according to a source who says he has been to the retreat on a half-dozen visits with Obama.

“The only time he shot skeet was for President’s Cup,” said the source, referring to a shooting competition tradition involving the presidential Marine guards. “I was there. He stayed for about five minutes, and couldn’t leave fast enough.”

108. Mars
    109 | January 30, 2013 11:22 pm

Word I got from friends who previewed it was that it is an anti-Reagan propaganda series that portrays the KGB agents as heroes and patriots against Reagans villainy.

Still don’t think I’ll watch even after you liking it. Don’t think I want to encourage hollywood to make more shows like it.

109. AZfederalist
    110 | January 30, 2013 11:23 pm

It’s illegal

I knew that, my sarcasm didn’t show.

110. Mars
    111 | January 30, 2013 11:25 pm

Yup

You might know something, but it’s probably different state to state. I know in MT it’s not required to take CCW if you fall under certain categories. One is carrying a sidearm in the military, two is having taken a hunters safety class.

The thing I have to call the application number about is this: My hunters safety class was 30 years ago, does it still count? Because if it does count I will dig up that card.

Plus, why just a sidearm? I carried a damn m16 almost every freaking day for 5.5 years. Why doesn’t that count?

111. 112 | January 30, 2013 11:26 pm

@ Mars:

No it’s not like that at all. The Soviets are clearly the bad guys. The only anti Reagan stuff is from the Soviet view.

112. Mars
    113 | January 30, 2013 11:31 pm

@ Mars:

I hope so, but understand my innate trust of Hollywood. Especially since the source I talked to has seen more than the first episode.

113. AZfederalist
    114 | January 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Calo wrote:

huckfunn wrote:
    Calo wrote:
    I just saw a clip of her today on the news.
    Rather shameful of the Dems to parade her around.

True. Didn’t think of that.

Rumor is they are moving back to AZ (well, Gabby would be moving back, he’d be moving to, she spent a great deal of her time as a rep living in Texas and “representing a quaint little district in Arizona”.

Guessing that he is going to pursue McCain’s senate seat

115 | January 30, 2013 11:36 pm

@ Mars:

I just looked it up. It says a 214 showing weapons qualification, not sidearm.

But I couldn’t find anything about how long it’s good for. Here, it has to be within 10 years.

115. Mars
    116 | January 30, 2013 11:41 pm

@ Mars:
    I just looked it up. It says a 214 showing weapons qualification, not sidearm.

Could be touch and go then. Pretty sure my 30 year old hunter safety card is not going to fly. Maybe I can get luckier with my dd214. But, we’re still talking 17 years or so.

116. Mars
    117 | January 30, 2013 11:44 pm

e. Evidence that the applicant, during military service, was found to be qualified to operate firearms, including handguns.

Here’s the section. I may be screwed anyway because it specifically refers to handguns.

Just trying to make my limited budget spread far enough.

118 | January 30, 2013 11:47 pm

@ Mars:

My suggestion would be to call them and ask.

118. Mars
    119 | January 30, 2013 11:51 pm

Yeah, that’s my plan.

I just wish I could figure out why when daylight hits I forget all these important things I was planning to do that day. lol.

120 | January 31, 2013 12:16 am

I’m watching it right now. Not bad so far.

121 | January 31, 2013 12:17 am

I always had Felicity figured for a Russian spy.

121. Calo
    122 | January 31, 2013 12:43 am

No spoilers! I’m only 5 minutes into it.

123 | January 31, 2013 12:44 am

We’re looking for a pot consultant.

Mandy Nagy ‏@Liberty_Chick
    Green thumb? Wash. state looks for pot consultant http://news.yahoo.com/green-thumb-wash-state-looks-pot-consultant-093915034--finance.html … via @YahooNews

124 | January 31, 2013 12:56 am

@ Calo:

It’s pretty good.

I’m back to watching last night’s Justified again.

Raylan really needs to stay away from blondes.

124. Calo
    125 | January 31, 2013 1:01 am

A much younger blonde than himself?

126 | January 31, 2013 1:03 am

Calo wrote:

A much younger blonde than himself?

She did seem to be somewhat younger.

Another character called her “grifter Barbie.”

126. EBL
    127 | January 31, 2013 1:12 am

Hemp is really good in brownies too!

127. Calo
    128 | January 31, 2013 1:22 am

@ EBL:
    I saw you posted that earlier today somewhere.

Really made me laugh.

128. 129 | January 31, 2013 2:43 am

Under the revised rules in VA, a qualifying course for CCW (which can be as simple as an online gun safety course -- takes about 90 minutes total) never expires. One advantage of the CCW used to be that it made the bearer an exception to the “one handgun purchase per 30 days” restriction, but VA did away with that restriction. We’ve been making some progress in The Old Dominion, despite being over-run by FedGov-associated trash in NoVa.

129. 130 | January 31, 2013 5:06 am

Good morning. Public art appreciation session is now open for the day.

130. 131 | January 31, 2013 6:56 am

@ PaladinPhil:

You know, there’s a lot of ‘modern art’ I just don’t get.

Better half & I went through the local art gallery a number of years ago, and there was a piece called ‘Hammer in Box’ that was just that. A hammer sitting in the middle of a box about 24″ long by 8″ wide & 4″ deep.

Nice pics!

131. 132 | January 31, 2013 7:08 am

Breakfast VDH: War is like Rust

Personally, I believe the “Lead From Behind” strategy will bite us in the ass sooner rather than later; it’s no more than isolationism with an elegant name. The desire to pull back into our shell always comes after wars, particularly protracted or costly wars, but we always find that our retirement to be no more than a brief vacation and reality always welcomes us back with a fury.

132. 133 | January 31, 2013 7:30 am

@ PaladinPhil:
    @ mfhorn:nd looking at

Much of “modern art” is more design than art but, for the life of me, I cannot say where to draw the line betwixt the two. These sculptures are interesting and quite pleasing to the eye (except for the worm-like Slinky thing, which kinda creeps me out), but are they “art”? I guess that is, as they say, in the eye of the beholder. But looking at The Pieta and comparing it with these, or many other examples of modern sculptures, tells me the two are simply not comparable- one brings tears of awe to my eyes and the others are intriguing and visually stimulating- it’s not just that one is better, they’re two entirely different animals.

Strictly my opinion on a question that will like;ly never be resolved……nor should it be.

133. unclassifiable
  134. 135 | January 31, 2013 7:42 am

@ mfhorn:

@ MacDuff:

Thanks. And as to “modern” art, some pieces are fascinating and intriguing. Others inspire a more “WTF?” to them. The slinky thing, I was showing those pics to some friends of mine and one of them said that would make a great BBQ or fish smoker. :)

135. 136 | January 31, 2013 8:14 am

@ PaladinPhil:

Very true. The ‘Hammer in Box’ was a ‘WTF’ piece.