RIP, Barney.

by coldwarrior ( 86 Comments › )
Filed under Open thread, Uncategorized at February 2nd, 2013 - 12:00 pm

When America had a real First Dog, not a prop like we have now.

Former First Dog Barney Bush passes away at age 12

US President George W. Bush(2nd-R) and First Lady Laura Bush (R) trail behind their dog Barney after arriving back at the White House 07 November, 2004. (AFP PHOTO / TIM SLOAN)

Former First Dog Barney Bush — a black Scottish terrier known for chasing golf balls and taking America on video tours of the White House — has passed away after a battle with lymphoma. He was 12.

An oil painting of Barney by former President George W. Bush.

Former President George W. Bush announced on Friday the passing of the “little fellow,” saying in a news release that “after twelve and a half years of life, his body could not fight off the illness.”

“Barney was by my side during our eight years in the White House,” said Bush, who also released Friday an oil painting he did of Barney. “He never discussed politics and was always a faithful friend. Laura and I will miss our pal.”

Barney was born Sept. 30, 2000, according to his official biography. His mother was Coors, a Scottish Terrier owned by former Environmental Protection Agency Director Christine Todd Whitman, and his father was Kelly of Champion Motherwell Stormwarning.

Barney had his own section on the Bush Administration’s official White House website, along with a fairly substantial Wikipedia page. And he became of fixture of presidential proceedings at the White House, Camp David and the Bushes’ Crawford ranch.

“At Camp David, his favorite activity was chasing golf balls on the chipping green,” Bush said. “Barney guarded the South Lawn entrance of the White House as if he were a Secret Service agent. He wandered the halls of the West Wing looking for treats from his many friends. He starred in Barney Cam and gave the American people Christmas tours of the White House.”

Among Barney’s many notable adventures was the time he bit the hand of a White House reporter who got too close. Former Bush political guru Karl Rove jokingly called the dog a “lump.”

Bush said Barney was a “fierce armadillo hunter” who “loved to accompany me when I fished for bass at the ranch.” Bush also said the dog was “always polite” when meeting queens, heads of state and prime ministers and that Barney “never jumped in their laps.”

Barney is survived by his fellow Scottish terrier, Miss Beazley, and Bob the cat. To see a pretty excellent Barney photo album, please click here.

Criticism by Karl Rove and Vladimir Putin

White House official Karl Rove remarked shortly after his resignation that Barney was “a lump.” Barney has also been criticized by Russian President Vladimir Putin who feels a world leader should own large robust dogs, not smaller breeds such as the Scottish Terrier. At a later date, when Putin introduced Bush to Koni, his black labrador, Putin is reported to have remarked that Koni is “(b)igger, tougher, stronger, faster, meaner, than Barney.”[6]

Comments

86 Responses to “RIP, Barney.”

1 | February 2, 2013 12:10 pm

Karl Rove is a lump.

2 | February 2, 2013 12:32 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

Karl Rove is a lump.

seriously, that’s what i thought as well.

3 | February 2, 2013 12:47 pm

Upon further review, the projection there is amazingly accurate.

4 | February 2, 2013 12:54 pm

Barney always seemed like a good dog & this is a really tough time for
    the Bushes.
    At least Barney was not a prop to fake normalcy, like the reason Thing One
    & Thing Two have Bo at the White House.

5 | February 2, 2013 1:07 pm

At least Barney was not a prop to fake normalcy, like the reason Thing One
    & Thing Two have Bo at the White House.

bo is a prop.

6 | February 2, 2013 1:08 pm

Mark Knoller ✔ @markknoller

(AP) Sylvester Stallone says that despite his “Rambo” image & new shoot-em-up film…he’s in favor of new national gun control legislation.
    9:32 PM -- 01 Feb 13
    46 RETWEETS 2 FAVORITES ReplyRetweetFavorite

Hey yo, like I’m totally for gun control.
    Turn in your guns & see my new movie, “Bullet to the Head”.
    Yo, it ain’t no Disney.”

7. 7 | February 2, 2013 1:09 pm

Scotties & other terriers aren’t the wimpy little dogs Putin seemed to make them out to be. Where else would you get the expression “tenacious as a terrier’?

8 | February 2, 2013 1:10 pm

At least Barney was not a prop to fake normalcy, like the reason Thing One
    & Thing Two have Bo at the White House.

bo is a prop.

Absolutely. Can you see Mooch with a dog?
    I hope that he bites her on her bootay.

9. 9 | February 2, 2013 1:10 pm

It wouldn’t surprise me if the kids are props, too.

11 | February 2, 2013 1:13 pm

mfhorn wrote:

typical scotland. tenacious in defeat.

Six Nations 2013, England 38 Scotland 18: match report
    Read a full match report of the Six Nations game between England and Scotland at Twickenham Stadium, London, on Saturday, Feb 2 2013.

12 | February 2, 2013 1:13 pm

mfhorn wrote:

It wouldn’t surprise me if the kids are props, too.

and mooche.

13 | February 2, 2013 1:19 pm

The Media’s Top Five Rules:

1. No matter which way the unemployment rate goes, Obama is The Sun King.

2. No matter which way the GDP goes, Obama is The Sun King.

3. Obama can do nothing wrong, Republicans can do nothing right.

4. Squirrels are always bigger news than bad news for Obama.

5. Shut up, racist.

h/t Lime Lite’s Ozzie Saffa Blog

14 | February 2, 2013 1:34 pm

PUNXSUTAWNEY — An end to winter’s bitter cold will come soon, according to Pennsylvania’s famous groundhog.

15. taxfreekiller
    15 | February 2, 2013 1:46 pm

you guys may have seen this

Ft. Worth Stock show last night.

ms tfk got a call from one of her buddies who was there
    Kids name is Dusty Tuckness, 26 years old, he is the top bull fighter aks rodeo clown , his dad was very good back in the day.

its on youtube already and the local TV stations are calling it
    Bull Fighter Flying

Fox 4 dwf
    NBC 5 dwf

http://www.fox4.com should be it.

16. taxfreekiller
    16 | February 2, 2013 1:50 pm

found it by

dusty tuckness flying bull fighter

has youtube there and local tv stations

17 | February 2, 2013 1:53 pm

@ taxfreekiller:

HA!

nice footwork!

18. 18 | February 2, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks, but no thanks.

19. AZfederalist
    19 | February 2, 2013 2:15 pm

Wow!

20 | February 2, 2013 2:23 pm

one day we will learn to street fight as good as the dems

Before we can get the GOPee to stand up and fight; someone will first have to drag them out from under the bed they’re hiding under…. :evil:

21 | February 2, 2013 2:28 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

one day we will learn to street fight as good as the dems

imagine if W had that kind of fire power! a real pitbull. a knuckle breaker.

23 | February 2, 2013 2:40 pm

Mars wrote:

just a continuation of policies and outlook that have been present in foggy bottom since 48. the state dept is full of islamists, full of ‘em.

24 | February 2, 2013 2:44 pm

Pistol packin good guy out guns bad guys 2-0. Skunked ‘em. Suburb of Detroit.

24. Mars
    25 | February 2, 2013 2:48 pm

Mars wrote:

The difference is, the pace has increased.

In the 40′s the communist infiltration did a pretty good job of keeping down the islamist infiltration.

Today’s communists seem to love welcoming them with open arms.

25. brookly red
    26 | February 2, 2013 3:39 pm

one day we will learn to street fight as good as the dems

uhhh, the first thing I thought we I saw that “photo” is he is pointing the weapon almost level to the ground. Now I don’t do much trap shooting living in the city an all but if I was shooting trap I would aim in the air where the target was… juss sayin

26. brookly red
    27 | February 2, 2013 3:41 pm

Mars wrote:

Ambassador Sir, a Mr. Ackbar his here to see you now…

27. 28 | February 2, 2013 3:43 pm

Mars wrote:

The difference is, the pace has increased.

Today’s communists seem to love welcoming them with open arms.

Not to mention open assholes….

28. brookly red
    29 | February 2, 2013 3:45 pm

At least Barney was not a prop to fake normalcy, like the reason Thing One
    & Thing Two have Bo at the White House.

bo is a prop.

Absolutely. Can you see Mooch with a dog?
    I hope that he bites her on her bootay.

we need a bigger Boat Dog…

29. Tanker
    30 | February 2, 2013 3:54 pm

one day we will learn to street fight as good as the dems

Actually there’s a big difference between Trap and Skeet shooting. Trap clays always comes out and rise as they leave the (single) thrower, where in Skeet shooting the clay come from several throwers at different levels and angles. That being said, I doubt our POS POTUS could ever hit anything from any angle. I can’t figure out the smoke coming from the side of the gun though. I have skeet and trap guns and none do that, although I may not have his special hardware!

30. brookly red
    31 | February 2, 2013 3:57 pm

one day we will learn to street fight as good as the dems

oh that’s and easy one…

he didn’t put his finger over the bong hole :)

31. Mars
    32 | February 2, 2013 3:58 pm

one day we will learn to street fight as good as the dems

Another odd thing is why the White House thinks this proves anything. There is already an article out there that speaks of the one or two times the won did shoot. He shot a couple shots, sucked at it, and left. He had no interest in it, but it was a tradition.

32. brookly red
    33 | February 2, 2013 4:00 pm

one day we will learn to street fight as good as the dems

in his case it seems sucking at it is becoming a tradition…

33. brookly red
    34 | February 2, 2013 4:02 pm

Tanker wrote:

although I may not have his special hardware!

yeah ear protectors that big gotta be custom made…

34. Tanker
    35 | February 2, 2013 4:05 pm

Tanker wrote:
    although I may not have his special hardware!
    yeah ear protectors that big gotta be custom made…

Special equip for special (read big ass) ears!

35. brookly red
    36 | February 2, 2013 4:11 pm

come let me tell you a story bout a man named Berry,
    a po community organizer everyone said was just a fairy,
    and then one day he was shootin at some food…

I wish Buzz was here :(

36. Mars
    37 | February 2, 2013 4:16 pm

come let me tell you a story bout a man named Berry,
    a po community organizer everyone said was just a fairy,
    and then one day he was shootin at some food…
    I wish Buzz was here

Didn’t hit his target, and his wife might be a dude.

37. brookly red
    38 | February 2, 2013 4:16 pm

Tanker wrote:

I have tried trap then… I could hit the target after like the third try cause I knew where it was going.

38. Tanker
    39 | February 2, 2013 4:17 pm

come let me tell you a story bout a man named Berry,
    a po community organizer everyone said was just a fairy,
    and then one day he was shootin at some food…
    I wish Buzz was here

Up from the ground came a bubbling Moooochie

39. brookly red
    40 | February 2, 2013 4:18 pm

come let me tell you a story bout a man named Berry,
    a po community organizer everyone said was just a fairy,
    and then one day he was shootin at some food…
    I wish Buzz was here

Didn’t hit his target, and his wife might be a dude.

ooooh that’s not bad… I could write the next lines but people would say that I was being racist. And I guess they would be right. Best to let it be.

40. 41 | February 2, 2013 4:18 pm

I still call bullshit on that “photo”.

42 | February 2, 2013 4:19 pm

Tanker wrote:

I can’t figure out the smoke coming from the side of the gun though.

me neither. but the pricey trap guns arent my cup of tea, so i havent a clue

42. brookly red
    43 | February 2, 2013 4:22 pm

Mike C. wrote:

I still call bullshit on that “photo”.

but yet Sarah Palin with a shotgun scares them…

43. brookly red
    44 | February 2, 2013 4:22 pm

Tanker wrote:

I can’t figure out the smoke coming from the side of the gun though.

me neither. but the pricey trap guns arent my cup of tea, so i havent a clue

2 words, photo shop

44. brookly red
    45 | February 2, 2013 4:24 pm

me neither. but the pricey trap guns arent my cup of tea, so i havent a clue

(or Maybe it was the Newport he stuck in the vent)

45. Tanker
    46 | February 2, 2013 4:26 pm

Tanker wrote:
    I can’t figure out the smoke coming from the side of the gun though.
    me neither. but the pricey trap guns arent my cup of tea, so i havent a clue

I don’t do pricey either. My trap gun is a 1932 Lefever double barrel, left side full choke. Great gun!

47 | February 2, 2013 4:27 pm

Mike C. wrote:

I still call bullshit on that “photo”.

butts too high on the shoulder, no shell bag on him, maybe use a vest to help with recoil and carrying shells. yeah, this is a one-off propaganda pic.

48 | February 2, 2013 4:27 pm

me neither. but the pricey trap guns arent my cup of tea, so i havent a clue
    (or Maybe it was the Newport he stuck in the vent)

yeah! like the great choomie jazz men used to do with their smokes!

48. Tanker
    49 | February 2, 2013 4:28 pm

Mike C. wrote:
    I still call bullshit on that “photo”.

but yet Sarah Palin with a shotgun scares them…

As it should, that Lady can shoot and hit the target!

50 | February 2, 2013 4:31 pm

that venting would sure reduce the recoil…just sayin…

50. Mars
    51 | February 2, 2013 4:32 pm

Tanker wrote:
    I can’t figure out the smoke coming from the side of the gun though.
    me neither. but the pricey trap guns arent my cup of tea, so i havent a clue

2 words, photo shop

Notice that Plouffe immediately said that in order to ridicule anyone who says that.

Personally I think it is more likely a photo op staged to “prove” that he’s done what they claimed. Made of course after the fact.

51. brookly red
    52 | February 2, 2013 4:32 pm

the few times I have fired a shot gun there was a lot more smoke and a surprising amount of how do you say? muzzle flash? (shit it lit up the whole block)

52. brookly red
    53 | February 2, 2013 4:36 pm

what is that thing on the end of the barrel? some kinda choke?

54 | February 2, 2013 4:40 pm

brookly red wrote:

what is that thing on the end of the barrel? some kinda choke?

i dont know. i really know next to nothing about trap guns.

but ole dead eye, barry ‘skeeter’ obama is clearly an expert

55 | February 2, 2013 4:44 pm

brookly red wrote:

what is that thing on the end of the barrel? some kinda choke?

the wading captured in the photo?

guess.

55. brookly red
    56 | February 2, 2013 4:44 pm

well here is my favorite “Libs w/guns” photo…

56. Mars
    57 | February 2, 2013 4:46 pm

brookly red wrote:
    what is that thing on the end of the barrel? some kinda choke?

i dont know. i really know next to nothing about trap guns.
    but ole dead eye, barry ‘skeeter’ obama is clearly an expert

Just did some searching online and apparently side venting like that is common on those skeet guns. (The side smoke.) The thing on the end of the barrel is interesting, you’d think it would be keeping anything from coming out.

57. brookly red
    58 | February 2, 2013 4:48 pm

brookly red wrote:
    what is that thing on the end of the barrel? some kinda choke?

i dont know. i really know next to nothing about trap guns.
    but ole dead eye, barry ‘skeeter’ obama is clearly an expert

Bay of Pigs comes to mind…

59 | February 2, 2013 4:48 pm

Mars wrote:

i guess my first hunch was right. ok.

does not help his terrible form tho

60 | February 2, 2013 4:49 pm

brookly red wrote:

well here is my favorite “Libs w/guns” photo…

good lord, AL!!!!!!!

61 | February 2, 2013 4:52 pm

too bad the white house couldn’t produce his college records, birth cert, writings as a so called professor so quickly.

61. Mars
    62 | February 2, 2013 4:52 pm

Mars wrote:
    i guess my first hunch was right. ok.
    does not help his terrible form tho

Nope, there’s no way in hell he’s shooting skeet. He’s pointing downrange at a target or something. Total photo op. Supposed to be from last year too, but I don’t think he had quite that much weight last year.

62. Mars
    63 | February 2, 2013 4:53 pm

Harder to stage those as photos after the fact.

64 | February 2, 2013 4:54 pm

new thread.

i predict this pic is gonna leave a mark.

64. 65 | February 2, 2013 4:54 pm

The thing on the end of the upper barrel is an interchangeable choke. Some high end guns have ones that visible, but both barrels have them (go figure.) If that part of that photo is real, it means that someebody didn’t even bother to install the one on the lower barrel.

I’m still waiting (in several places) for somebody to show me a high end skeet gun (OU type) with compensator cuts. I’ve sure never seen one, or even heard of one. Compensator cuts for shotguns I do know of have all been on single barrel (pump or semi-auto) weapons, usually ones designed for self-defense.

65. brookly red
    66 | February 2, 2013 4:55 pm

Mars wrote:

don’t worry in 10 years that picture will be in every textbook in the country telling school kids how he personally saved those guys in Benghazi

66. Tanker
    67 | February 2, 2013 4:58 pm

brookly red wrote:

what is that thing on the end of the barrel? some kinda choke?

The gun looks like a Benelli over and under which is really expensive and does have changeable chokes (which are silver). I’ve never seen a Benelli vent that way!

67. 68 | February 2, 2013 5:04 pm

brookly red wrote:
    what is that thing on the end of the barrel? some kinda choke?
    i dont know. i really know next to nothing about trap guns.
    but ole dead eye, barry ‘skeeter’ obama is clearly an expert

Where did you find something about gas venting to the side? The only thing I spotted with a search was about vent ribs, which is a totally different matter.

69 | February 2, 2013 5:07 pm

@ Mars:

Exactly, this is bull. You don’t shoot skeet at eye level/

69. Tanker
    70 | February 2, 2013 5:07 pm

Mike C. wrote:

brookly red wrote:
    what is that thing on the end of the barrel? some kinda choke?
    i dont know. i really know next to nothing about trap guns.
    but ole dead eye, barry ‘skeeter’ obama is clearly an expert

Me also, rib vents help with barrel cooling though!

70. Mars
    71 | February 2, 2013 5:08 pm

Mike C. wrote:

brookly red wrote:
    what is that thing on the end of the barrel? some kinda choke?
    i dont know. i really know next to nothing about trap guns.
    but ole dead eye, barry ‘skeeter’ obama is clearly an expert

Ok then I misunderstood, the things I found were talking about vent ribs. thought it was the same thing. They were talking about ventilated side and top ribs. Figured that was some form of venting.

71. Mars
    72 | February 2, 2013 5:11 pm

A gun forum is saying he’s using a ported gun, not quite sure what that is.

72. brookly red
    73 | February 2, 2013 5:12 pm

Mars wrote:

A gun forum is saying he’s using a ported gun, not quite sure what that is.

that’s ok … neither does he.

73. Tanker
    74 | February 2, 2013 5:13 pm

Mars wrote:

A gun forum is saying he’s using a ported gun, not quite sure what that is.

Saw that somewhere also, not sure what that means though. I shoot trap, but not all that big on the newer stuff out there. More into rifle pistol shooting theses days.

74. Mars
    75 | February 2, 2013 5:13 pm

Another guy says ported guns are ported on both sides.

75. Mars
    76 | February 2, 2013 5:14 pm

They’re guessing it’s a pretty expensive high end gun though. Doubt he knows how to treat it though.

76. Tanker
    77 | February 2, 2013 5:15 pm

Mars wrote:

Another guy says ported guns are ported on both sides.

What are they saying “ported” is for? Recoil?

78 | February 2, 2013 5:16 pm

Maybe this is giving the Choomster too much benefit of doubt but he could be shooting a “sporting clays” course which does have a ground target called “the rabbit” which rolls on the ground.
    Most journalists probably wouldn’t know the difference between skeet, trap and sporting clays.

78. Mars
    79 | February 2, 2013 5:17 pm

Mars wrote:
    Another guy says ported guns are ported on both sides.

What are they saying “ported” is for? Recoil?

No explanation. I’m guessing it’s to cut down recoil.

Here’s a cabelas forum on ported shotguns.

79. Tanker
    80 | February 2, 2013 5:19 pm

The Osprey wrote:

You can also get a clay from the side at shoulder level on some skeet courses also!

80. Tanker
    81 | February 2, 2013 5:19 pm

Mars wrote:
    Another guy says ported guns are ported on both sides.
    What are they saying “ported” is for? Recoil?

No explanation. I’m guessing it’s to cut down recoil.
    Here’s a cabelas forum on ported shotguns.

Thanks, will look it over!

82 | February 2, 2013 5:21 pm

@ Tanker:

That’s right, coming out of the “low house”.

82. brookly red
    83 | February 2, 2013 5:25 pm

The Osprey wrote:

or Bo might be sitting on a bed of rice now…

84 | February 2, 2013 5:28 pm

The Osprey wrote:

or Bo might be sitting on a bed of rice now…

Djakarta Style Dog Fried Rice :lol:

84. brookly red
    85 | February 2, 2013 5:30 pm

The Osprey wrote:

Djakarta Style Dog Fried Rice

is that a clove?

no… it’s number 6 shot.

86 | February 2, 2013 5:42 pm

I’m pretty sure the skeet are painted with Cheney and Bush faces.