First time visitor? Learn more.

After the fall of Timbuktu, ‘a time of revenge’

by 1389AD ( 56 Comments › )
Filed under Africa, Al Qaeda, France at February 4th, 2013 - 11:00 am

France24 has the story:

Latest update: 29/01/2013

A day after French and Malian troops gained control of Timbuktu from rebels, tensions were rising in the historic northern Malian city as hundreds of people broke into shops owned by ethnic Arabs and Tuareg on Tuesday in a backlash against perceived collaborators.

“After Timbuktu fell yesterday, the situation is now very different,” said FRANCE 24’s Matthieu Mabin, reporting from the centre of Timbuktu. “It’s a time of revenge here and we can see people – everybody, children, old men, women – attacking Arab shops in a misguided idea that those shops were linked to Islamist fighters, which is absolutely not true in many cases.”

According to Mabin, French and Malian troops around the city were stretched thin.

“At the moment, most of the Malian troops and all of the French troops are around the city to secure the battlefield,” said Mabin. “The war is not over around the region of Timbuktu. Hundreds of pickups [bearing rebels] left the city a few days ago. Some left just yesterday [Monday] morning. So, the Malian and French troops are very busy at the moment securing the area around the city.”

Human rights concerns mount

A vast, multi-ethnic West African nation, Mali is home to a variety of ethnic groups, including the Tuaregs and other ethnic groups of North African Berber origins, which comprise about 10 per cent of Mali’s total population of 14 million.

Signs of a backlash against the Tuareg and other lighter skinned groups – commonly called Arabs – were evident nearly 10 months ago in the capital of Bamako shortly after northern Mali fell to a motley mix of Tuareg and Islamist rebels.

In the wake of the French-led military intervention this month, there have been concerns of human rights abuses by the poorly trained Malian military.

Earlier this week, FRANCE 24’s Mehdi Chebil documented a case of Malian soldiers targeting an elderly man mistakenly assumed to have Islamist links in the central Malian city of Diabaly.

The Paris-based International Federation of Human Rights (FIDH) is currently investigating cases of alleged summary executions by Malian soldiers of individuals believed to have links with the Ansar Dine Islamist group.

Responding to reports of looting and targeting of civilians in the newly liberated areas, French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said France was in favour of rapidly deploying international observers to ensure that human rights are respected in Mali.

“Our troops have been told to show extreme caution in responding to acts of violence,” Ayrault told parliament on Tuesday. “I point out though that the International Committee of the Red Cross has not so far confirmed acts that have been reported on this subject by some non-governmental organisations,” he added.

But in a sign of the difficulties facing troops trying to secure northern Mali, Mabin noted that in some Timbuktu shops, he saw “some ammunition and weapons” being removed by Malian troops.

It was not known if the weapons confiscated from the Arab-owned shops were used or stored by Islamist militants.

International community issues pledges for Mali

The tensions in Timbuktu came as French President François Hollande called on African troops to be on the forefront of the mission to secure northern Mali.

“It is time for the Africans to take over,” Hollande told a news conference in Paris on Monday.

Hollande’s call came a day before an international donors conference opened at the African Union (AU) headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Tuesday.

According to a senior AU official, attending nations pledged $455.5 million for the United Nations-authorised, African-led Support Mission in Mali (AFISMA). The AU says AFISMA requires an initial budget of $461 million.

The pledges came from African nations such as Ethiopia, Ivory Coast and Gambia, as well as developed countries such as the US, Japan, Germany and the UK.

In terms of force deployments, there are currently around 3,500 French troops and 1,900 African soldiers – including Chadians and troops from Niger – deployed alongside the Malian army. In total, some 8,000 African soldiers are expected, but their deployment has been hampered by funding and logistical problems.

Speaking in Addis Ababa Tuesday, Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, head of the African Union Commission, noted that the situation in Mali requires a “fast and efficient” response because it “threatens Mali, the region, the continent and beyond”.
[...]
Meanwhile in Timbuktu, order was somewhat restored by Tuesday afternoon when Malian troops finally moved in.

Electricity had not returned and residents said there was no water supply since water-pumps were not working. The telephone network has also not been in service over the past few days and there were still food shortages.
[...]
Video, photos, and much more coverage here.

BBC: French forces take Mali’s Kidal

31 January 2013 Last updated at 09:23 ET

French forces have secured the northern Malian town of Kidal, the last main stronghold of Islamist rebels in the region, military officials say.

Militant Islamist fighters had already left the town, near the Algerian border, and are believed to be hiding in the surrounding mountains.

The capture of Kidal came days after French and Malian forces retook the provincial capitals Gao and Timbuktu.

Nick Childs reports.

Also see:


Tags: , ,

Comments

Comments and respectful debate are both welcome and encouraged.

Comments are the sole opinion of the comment writer, just as each thread posted is the sole opinion or post idea of the administrator that posted it or of the readers that have written guest posts for the Blogmocracy.

Obscene, abusive, or annoying remarks may be deleted or moved to spam for admin review, but the fact that particular comments remain on the site in no way constitutes an endorsement of their content by any other commenter or the admins of this Blogmocracy.

We're not easily offended and don't want people to think they have to walk on eggshells around here (like at another place that shall remain nameless) but of course, there is a limit to everything.

Play nice!

56 Responses to “After the fall of Timbuktu, ‘a time of revenge’”
( jump to bottom )

  1. coldwarrior
    1 | February 4, 2013 11:07 am

    a little pay back against the muzz. and so it is on the front line of the counter jihad in a language that the muzz understand.


  2. 2 | February 4, 2013 11:32 am

    attacking Arab shops in a misguided idea that those shops were linked to Islamist fighters, which is absolutely not true in many cases

    You can absolutely be certain however, that those who did collaborated with the Jihadists were… Arabs. Islam is the AIDS virus of political systems.


  3. citizen_q
    3 | February 4, 2013 11:34 am

    Sorry for the early O/T, islam in it’s glory.

    I won’t post more than the headline, which is horrible enough

    Celebrity Saudi preacher who ‘raped’ and tortured his five-year-old daughter to death escapes with light sentence


  4. RIX
    4 | February 4, 2013 11:48 am

    Signs of a backlash against the Tuareg and other lighter skinned groups – commonly called Arabs – were evident nearly 10 months ago in the capital of Bamako shortly after northern Mali fell to a motley mix of Tuareg and Islamist rebels

    .

    This has got to be so conflicting for Obama.
    He digs him some Arab Muslims, but he is not into “lighter skinned
    groups.”
    You know, “oppressors and white devils”and all of that.


  5. citizen_q
    5 | February 4, 2013 12:12 pm

    Haven’t we seen this show before?

    Chilling Video: Thousands of Neo-Nazis March Through Athens

    Tens of thousands of neo-Nazis rallied in Athens in support of Greece’s far-right Golden Dawn party, in the movement’s largest demonstration of support since its rise to power in last June’s general election.

    Men dressed in military uniforms, holding torches, donning swastikas and chanting anti-immigrant slogans, marched through central Athens in what was reportedly a memorial event paying tribute to the party’s “fallen soldiers,” The International Business Times reported.

    “This is a day of remembrance. It’s a day to remember that Golden Dawn is here to stay. And so long as it does, there will be hope for the country,” Golden Dawn spokesman Ilias Kassidiaris told supporters.

    Hundreds of riot police and security officials were deployed to the scene of the march, which took place near the prime minister’s office and the Turkish embassy in Athens, according to The Times.

    The party, which has become notorious for its blatant anti-Semitic and xenophobic rhetoric and has been responsible for perpetrating attacks on Jews and foreigners, has begun spreading its anti-immigration message in schools and youth clubs, as well as through online social media networks, according to recent reports in the international press.


  6. 6 | February 4, 2013 12:14 pm

    It was not known if the weapons confiscated from the Arab-owned shops were used or stored by Islamist militants.

    It is interesting to note that confiscating weapons is viewed with alarm here, where they are possibly confiscating the weapons of potential terrorists, but Obama’s aims of strictly regulating who may and may not possess weapons isn’t viewed similarly skeptically.


  7. 7 | February 4, 2013 12:18 pm

    @ coldwarrior:

    It’s Sabra and Shatila all over again. It’s the Jews fault for pulling out so suddenly, and leaving the Muslims unprotected against the Christians who had been so systematically victimized by the Islamofascists who used them as fodder for their evil plans. This isn’t the first time in history that the tables have been turned on the Jihadists and we heard them screaming about human rights and all. People remember, and once they feel secure that the worm has turned, all bets are off.


  8. lobo91
    8 | February 4, 2013 12:30 pm

    @ Flyovercountry:

    This isn’t the first time in history that the tables have been turned on the Jihadists and we heard them screaming about human rights and all.

    Before making any claims based on “human rights,” they should be required to prove that they are, in fact, human.


  9. 9 | February 4, 2013 12:51 pm

    @ citizen_q:

    These people grow in times like these like bacteria on a shower floor.


  10. RIX
    10 | February 4, 2013 1:03 pm

    lobo91 wrote:

    @ Flyovercountry:
    This isn’t the first time in history that the tables have been turned on the Jihadists and we heard them screaming about human rights and all.
    Before making any claims based on “human rights,” they should be required to prove that they are, in fact, human.

    If the criteria is harboring a soul & basic decency,then they fail.
    On the other hand, if the test is being grievance whores,perpetuating
    & cheering atrocities and scaring Liberals to death to gain their
    support, then they are super human.


  11. coldwarrior
    11 | February 4, 2013 1:06 pm

    @ Flyovercountry:

    the world would be a very different place if the lebanese kateb were left to finsish off the muzz that time


  12. coldwarrior
    12 | February 4, 2013 1:07 pm

    @ Flyovercountry:

    i have a sneaking suspicion that the foreign legion is purposely turning a blind eye if not encouraging this payback


  13. 13 | February 4, 2013 1:09 pm

    Rodan won’t know who to cheer for here:

    Karl Rove’s American Crossroads has started a new group to make sure the 2014 Senate races produce zero Todd Akins. But it turns out some conservatives like Rove less than Akin. The Conservative Victory Project will spend money in Republican primaries to defeat far-right candidates, The New York Times’ Jeff Zeleny reported this weekend. Republicans like Rove see Republicans like Akin, who failed to beat vulnerable Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill, and Richard Mourdock, who knocked off Indiana’s Sen. Richard Lugar in the GOP primary but failed to win the general election in a state that Mitt Romney won by 10 points, are costing the party winnable Senate seats. The backlash was immediate.

    Heh! I agree no more Akins. It wasn’t so much his views (abortion is a homicide, even in the case of rape) as his ham-handed way of expressing them. But I am not so keen on Rove being the keeper of the keys here. I tend to agree that it is a cure worse than the disease. Akin needed to go, but Rove needs to go even more.


  14. coldwarrior
    14 | February 4, 2013 1:13 pm

    @ Iron Fist:

    rodan’s head just exploded


  15. RIX
    15 | February 4, 2013 1:15 pm

    Chris Kyle’s death seems to confirm that “he who lives by the sword dies by the sword.” Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn’t make sense

    Ron Paul (@RonPaul) February 04, 2013

    Another reason to disdain on Paul.


  16. waldensianspirit
    16 | February 4, 2013 1:15 pm

    @ coldwarrior:
    Didn’t you read? They’re busy securing the battle field ;-)


  17. waldensianspirit
    17 | February 4, 2013 1:17 pm

    MacDuff wrote:

    @ citizen_q:
    These people grow in times like these like bacteria on a shower floor.

    Well said!


  18. coldwarrior
    18 | February 4, 2013 1:25 pm

    waldensianspirit wrote:

    @ coldwarrior:
    Didn’t you read? They’re busy securing the battle field

    indeed!


  19. brookly red
    19 | February 4, 2013 1:27 pm

    coldwarrior wrote:

    @ Flyovercountry:

    i have a sneaking suspicion that the foreign legion is purposely turning a blind eye if not encouraging this payback

    I am going to guess that the locals have a pretty good idea of who is who and what is what…


  20. Da_Beerfreak
    20 | February 4, 2013 1:30 pm

    waldensianspirit wrote:

    @ coldwarrior:
    Didn’t you read? They’re busy securing the battle field

    Just taking territory is not going to win this war if the French and their Allies are not killing great numbers of bad guys in the process.


  21. coldwarrior
    21 | February 4, 2013 1:33 pm

    RIX wrote:

    Chris Kyle’s death seems to confirm that “he who lives by the sword dies by the sword.” Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn’t make sense

    Ron Paul (@RonPaul) February 04, 2013
    Another reason to disdain on Paul.

    i have to agree with the doctor in this last sentence:

    “Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn’t make sense”

    seriously, it makes no sense at all. in fact it seems downright foolish. i need to see some real hard data on this sort of treatment before i believe it works and is not in fact detrimental.


  22. coldwarrior
    22 | February 4, 2013 1:33 pm

    brookly red wrote:

    coldwarrior wrote:
    @ Flyovercountry:
    i have a sneaking suspicion that the foreign legion is purposely turning a blind eye if not encouraging this payback

    I am going to guess that the locals have a pretty good idea of who is who and what is what…

    NO!!!! really?

    :lol:


  23. coldwarrior
    23 | February 4, 2013 1:35 pm

    bbl, off to lowes…because home depot is too lefty.

    its a buycott!


  24. citizen_q
    24 | February 4, 2013 1:37 pm

    Da_Beerfreak wrote:

    waldensianspirit wrote:
    @ coldwarrior:
    Didn’t you read? They’re busy securing the battle field

    Just taking territory is not going to win this war if the French and their Allies are not killing great numbers of bad guys in the process.

    Wonder if Israel will complain about disproportionate use of force? ///////


  25. citizen_q
    25 | February 4, 2013 1:38 pm

    coldwarrior wrote:

    bbl, off to lowes…because home depot is too lefty.
    its a buycott!

    Curious, please explain when you get a chance.


  26. brookly red
    26 | February 4, 2013 1:45 pm

    coldwarrior wrote:

    brookly red wrote:

    coldwarrior wrote:
    @ Flyovercountry:
    i have a sneaking suspicion that the foreign legion is purposely turning a blind eye if not encouraging this payback

    I am going to guess that the locals have a pretty good idea of who is who and what is what…

    NO!!!! really?

    just a guess…


  27. SciFiGuy
    27 | February 4, 2013 2:05 pm

    Funny of the day:

    Next years Superbowl is going to be held at Motel 6. They will keep the lights on for us.


  28. 28 | February 4, 2013 2:07 pm

    SciFiGuy wrote:

    They will keep the lights on for us.

    Incandecent bulbs? Stone the heretic!!!11ty!! 8O


  29. RIX
    29 | February 4, 2013 2:08 pm

    i have to agree with the doctor in this last sentence:

    “Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn’t make sense”

    seriously, it makes no sense at all. in fact it seems downright foolish. i need to see some real hard data on this sort of treatment before i believe it works and is not in fact detrimental.@ coldwarrior:

    It does seem odd & it was a tragic mistake in this case.
    But Ron Paul was gloating.


  30. waldensianspirit
    30 | February 4, 2013 2:31 pm

    @ RIX:
    Iwouldn’t think it’s the firing range so much as being around those with similar experiences and understand each other.

    We don’t know the why’s yet and motive may be coming from something other than PTSD


  31. brookly red
  32. RIX
    33 | February 4, 2013 2:46 pm

    waldensianspirit wrote:

    @ RIX:
    Iwouldn’t think it’s the firing range so much as being around those with similar experiences and understand each other.

    We don’t know the why’s yet and motive may be coming from something other than PTSD

    That’s true. There was a guy with some expertise on this morning.
    His opinion was that the range makes sense because it is a shared experience.
    This just went wrong.


  33. darkwords
    34 | February 4, 2013 2:51 pm

    Tammy Bruce ‏@HeyTammyBruce
    Hi @Ron Paul, ur tweet mocking Chris Kyle’s death is beyond craven. So every soldier deserves to be murdered at home? APOLOGIZE NOW.


  34. brookly red
    35 | February 4, 2013 2:54 pm

    darkwords wrote:

    Tammy Bruce ‏@HeyTammyBruce
    Hi @Ron Paul, ur tweet mocking Chris Kyle’s death is beyond craven. So every soldier deserves to be murdered at home? APOLOGIZE NOW.

    there will always be some paulbots, but this effectively ends his career


  35. darkwords
    36 | February 4, 2013 2:55 pm

    @ 13 Iron Fist: Rove is out of touch. If he was in touch he would be finding a touting a Tea Party candidate that represents a good candidate to him. He’s got that institutional thinking that is a few steps behind Obama’s institutional thinking. His days are done. I told myself if the GoP can’t get their s**T together this year then i need to invest my political time elsewhere. And they did much worse than I expected. I don’t expect they will do any better in 2016. Unless some grassroots change occurs and that is essentially tea party thought.


  36. RIX
    37 | February 4, 2013 2:59 pm

    brookly red wrote:

    darkwords wrote:

    Tammy Bruce ‏@HeyTammyBruce
    Hi @Ron Paul, ur tweet mocking Chris Kyle’s death is beyond craven. So every soldier deserves to be murdered at home? APOLOGIZE NOW.

    there will always be some paulbots, but this effectively ends his career

    It should.


  37. coldwarrior
    38 | February 4, 2013 3:01 pm

    RIX wrote:

    waldensianspirit wrote:
    @ RIX:
    Iwouldn’t think it’s the firing range so much as being around those with similar experiences and understand each other.
    We don’t know the why’s yet and motive may be coming from something other than PTSD

    That’s true. There was a guy with some expertise on this morning.
    His opinion was that the range makes sense because it is a shared experience.
    This just went wrong.

    the guy was a seal sniper, not a mental health doc. of course the range seems an obvious place to go for him, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

    his heart was in the right place. his brain? not in the right place.


  38. waldensianspirit
    39 | February 4, 2013 3:02 pm

    Good on Tammy Bruce


  39. waldensianspirit
    40 | February 4, 2013 3:03 pm

    @ coldwarrior:
    There are reports the guy’s mother called on Chris Kyle to help her son


  40. brookly red
    41 | February 4, 2013 3:04 pm

    RIX wrote:

    brookly red wrote:

    darkwords wrote:

    Tammy Bruce ‏@HeyTammyBruce
    Hi @Ron Paul, ur tweet mocking Chris Kyle’s death is beyond craven. So every soldier deserves to be murdered at home? APOLOGIZE NOW.

    there will always be some paulbots, but this effectively ends his career

    It should.

    this is going to force politicians to speak up on military and veteran’s issues. Unfortunately much will be lip-service.


  41. coldwarrior
    42 | February 4, 2013 3:05 pm

    and the race begins. buh-bye argies.

    The National Government has reached an agreement with the largest supermarket chains to freeze retails prices for two months in an effort to tackle inflation, the Domestic Trade Secretariat announced.

    The announcement was made after several economic analysts reported that inflation in January ranged between 2.6 and 2.9 percent. These results are a drastic variation of the inflation index registered in the previous months, which ranged between 1.6 and 2.6 percent.

    this wont end well


  42. lobo91
    43 | February 4, 2013 3:08 pm

    @ brookly red:

    this is going to force politicians to speak up on military and veteran’s issues. Unfortunately much will be lip-service.

    The problem is that what’s not lip service will probably turn out to be counterproductive, since we’re talking about government.


  43. coldwarrior
    44 | February 4, 2013 3:09 pm

    waldensianspirit wrote:

    @ coldwarrior:
    There are reports the guy’s mother called on Chris Kyle to help her son

    that doesnt change the questionable treatment venue. just because the guy was doing the right thing doesnt mean he was doing it the right way


  44. brookly red
    45 | February 4, 2013 3:10 pm

    coldwarrior wrote:

    and the race begins. buh-bye argies.

    The National Government has reached an agreement with the largest supermarket chains to freeze retails prices for two months in an effort to tackle inflation, the Domestic Trade Secretariat announced.

    The announcement was made after several economic analysts reported that inflation in January ranged between 2.6 and 2.9 percent. These results are a drastic variation of the inflation index registered in the previous months, which ranged between 1.6 and 2.6 percent.

    this wont end well

    just wait till it happens here…


  45. 46 | February 4, 2013 3:11 pm

    New Thread.


  46. brookly red
    47 | February 4, 2013 3:12 pm

    lobo91 wrote:

    @ brookly red:

    this is going to force politicians to speak up on military and veteran’s issues. Unfortunately much will be lip-service.

    The problem is that what’s not lip service will probably turn out to be counterproductive, since we’re talking about government.

    True that but the notion that we need to spend our money on those that serve this country and not those who break into it is a worthy one.


  47. coldwarrior
    48 | February 4, 2013 3:12 pm

    Rodan wrote:

    New Thread.

    u need to see comment 13


  48. coldwarrior
    49 | February 4, 2013 3:13 pm

    @ brookly red:

    i cant wait. let the mass lesson in economics begin!


  49. 50 | February 4, 2013 3:16 pm

    @ Iron Fist:

    Akin needed to go, but Rove needs to go even more.

    A pox on both their houses.


  50. 51 | February 4, 2013 3:17 pm

    @ coldwarrior:

    Argentina did this back in the 80′s and it was a disaster. It’s such a shame, that nation should not be the mess its in. That means more Argies moving to Chile or Colombia.


  51. coldwarrior
    52 | February 4, 2013 3:20 pm

    Rodan wrote:

    @ coldwarrior:
    Argentina did this back in the 80′s and it was a disaster. It’s such a shame, that nation should not be the mess its in. That means more Argies moving to Chile or Colombia.

    some peeps will never learn


  52. waldensianspirit
    53 | February 4, 2013 3:21 pm

    @ Rodan:
    :mrgreen:


  53. RIX
    54 | February 4, 2013 3:38 pm

    the guy was a seal sniper, not a mental health doc. of course the range seems an obvious place to go for him, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

    his heart was in the right place. his brain? not in the right place.@ coldwarrior:

    The guy was a real dinger. He once hit his target at 1,100 yards!


  54. 55 | February 4, 2013 5:00 pm

    citizen_q wrote:

    Sorry for the early O/T, islam in it’s glory.
    I won’t post more than the headline, which is horrible enough
    Celebrity Saudi preacher who ‘raped’ and tortured his five-year-old daughter to death escapes with light sentence

    I have that story blogged here too.

    RIX wrote:

    the guy was a seal sniper, not a mental health doc. of course the range seems an obvious place to go for him, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    his heart was in the right place. his brain? not in the right place.@ coldwarrior:

    The guy was a real dinger. He once hit his target at 1,100 yards!

    Yup.

    brookly red wrote:

    coldwarrior wrote:
    and the race begins. buh-bye argies.
    The National Government has reached an agreement with the largest supermarket chains to freeze retails prices for two months in an effort to tackle inflation, the Domestic Trade Secretariat announced.
    The announcement was made after several economic analysts reported that inflation in January ranged between 2.6 and 2.9 percent. These results are a drastic variation of the inflation index registered in the previous months, which ranged between 1.6 and 2.6 percent.
    this wont end well

    just wait till it happens here…

    I’m old enough to remember when Nixon tried that.

    Epic fail.


  55. Da_Beerfreak
    56 | February 4, 2013 6:38 pm

    @ 1389AD:
    I also remember Nixon’s ‘wage & price freeze’. It was a disaster. Businesses were quick to freeze wages and ignored the price freeze part…


Back to the Top

The Blogmocracy

website design was Built By David