BREAKING: Pope Benedict XVI To RESIGN!

by Macker ( 165 Comments › )
Filed under Christianity, History, Religion at February 11th, 2013 - 7:22 am

All good people of faith, please keep this man in your prayers. Here’s the text:

ROME (Reuters) – The following is the text of the speech that Pope Benedict delivered in Latin to members of a consistory, or church council, announcing his planned resignation on Monday. It was distributed by the Vatican in a statement:
“Dear Brothers,
I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.
“Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.”

With this first resignation of a Pope since the Middle Ages, Christianity in general, and the Roman Catholic Church in particular, is thrown into uncertainty once again. Keep the Faith! STAND.

Tags:

Comments

165 Responses to “BREAKING: Pope Benedict XVI To RESIGN!”

1. 1 | February 11, 2013 7:26 am

The first Papal resignation in 600 years. I guess it would be too much to hope that Timothy Cardinal Dolan could become the first American Pope….yeah, methinks too much.

2. eaglesoars
    2 | February 11, 2013 7:29 am

Not.

Happy.

3 | February 11, 2013 7:32 am

eaglesoars wrote:

Not.
    Happy.

Not.
    Happy.
    At.
    All.

4. 4 | February 11, 2013 7:35 am

It will be interesting to see who the next Pope is. Will the Church continue is slight rightward shift,or will the Liberation Theologists win out? Or doe it matter? The majority of the Catholic vote went to Obama in the last election, and he is the most anti-Catholic President we’ve ever had. If the Catholics are going to vote like that, maybe it no longer matters who the Pope is.

5. 5 | February 11, 2013 7:36 am

There have been rumors of his ill health for quite some time now, but he must be far sicker than anyone suspected. Damned shame.

6. 6 | February 11, 2013 7:38 am

I keep reading prophecies about Pope Benedict being the Next to Last Pope….

7. eaglesoars
    7 | February 11, 2013 7:48 am

will the Liberation Theologists win out? Or doe it matter

I doubt it. IIRC John Paul excommunicated a few.

I’m not clear on global demographics of the Catholic church, but I think the fastest growth is on the African continent so the cardinals may want to recognize that and promote those gains

Macker wrote:

I keep reading prophecies about Pope Benedict being the Next to Last Pope….

Yeah. I remember we were all reading that when Pope Ben was elected.

I’m very sad. I’m not even Christian, let alone Catholic, but the respect I have for this man is profound, both for his intellectual depth/honesty and for his generouse spirit. Early in his tenure he wrote a piece on charity that was transporting.

Also, he was no fool when it came to jihadis – unlike John Paul, who I thought was a bit naive.

8. 8 | February 11, 2013 7:48 am

It’s fascinating how this has caught everyone flatfooted. They’re saying even his closest advisors didn’t have a clue.

9. 9 | February 11, 2013 7:58 am

eaglesoars wrote:

Also, he was no fool when it came to jihadis — unlike John Paul, who I thought was a bit naive.

JPII was a bit naive; he was a wonderful man, but he oft appeared exclusively spiritual. Benedict seemed far more involved in the temporal world; I saw the most remarkable picture of him sitting at a table with an iPad!

10. eaglesoars
    10 | February 11, 2013 8:04 am

Here we go.

CARITAS IN VERITATE

Charity in Truth

11. 11 | February 11, 2013 8:12 am

Obama won the Catholic vote 50-48 because Hispanic Catholics voted 70% against the GOP who they perceive as hating them. Bush won the total Catholic vote in 04.

12. 12 | February 11, 2013 8:17 am

This is now the main thread.

13. 13 | February 11, 2013 8:22 am

I wonder what one calls a Pope after he steps down?

14. 14 | February 11, 2013 8:22 am

@ eaglesoars:

There is a purge of Liberation Theologists types.

15. eaglesoars
    15 | February 11, 2013 8:23 am

@ eaglesoars:

There is a purge of Liberation Theologists types.

As well there should be.

16. 16 | February 11, 2013 8:30 am

@ eaglesoars:

They are Marxists. Father Phleger is a prime example.

17 | February 11, 2013 8:31 am

this orthodox prays hard for a worthy successor. its gonna be hard to replace this guy

18 | February 11, 2013 8:32 am

MacDuff wrote:

I wonder what one calls a Pope after he steps down?

pope.

il papa

19. eaglesoars
    19 | February 11, 2013 8:33 am

@ eaglesoars:

They are Marxists. Father Phleger is a prime example.

Yes. And if you read Charity in Truth, you will find that Ben writes about ‘social justice’ but with a completely different foundation, i.e., logos It must be based on truth and there IS objective truth, it cannot be relativized.

20. 20 | February 11, 2013 8:34 am

@ eaglesoars:

Social Justice got hijacked by Progressive. Just like Obama’s balanced approach is not balanced.

21. 21 | February 11, 2013 8:50 am

The parade of the clueless, the buffoons and the mean and sick of spirit has begun…
    Piers Morgan:

As a Catholic, I’m not buying this. Popes don’t just quit because they’re tired. What’s going on here??

Solidad O’Brien:

There also has to be some pressure and impact from what you really talked about; the sex scandal that has been a huge problem and enveloped much of the Catholic Church over the last decade.

Someone named Alex Gibney:

The other part that Benedict has played here is as a man going very hard over dissenters in the church. He’s tried very hard to uphold to uphold charity of doctrine. So a lot of people have been drummed out of oppositions, only for questioning things like forced celibacy, or gay marriage, or the role of women.

22. 22 | February 11, 2013 8:50 am

Obama’s “balanced” approach is 100% tax increases, 0% spending cuts. That’s his definition of “balanced”. Tax-and-Spend Democrats are back in force. I wish the GOP would have the balls to run television ads against them decrying their tax-and-spend ways. That was very effective in the Reagan era, and I think most people realize that there is a real spending problem in our government. They can’t borrow and spend enough from the Chinese to cover everything that the Democrats want to spend. It is obvious to anyone paying attention that the Democrats are trying to break the country’s back with their out of control spending. Everybody can look forward to 2022 when it all comes crashing down, but nobody seems to be willing to do what is required to stop it.

23. eaglesoars
    23 | February 11, 2013 8:56 am

MacDuff wrote:

He’s tried very hard to uphold to uphold charity of doctrine

wtf?

I think he means CLARITY of doctrine.

Yeah, doofus, that’s what Popes do.

24. 24 | February 11, 2013 8:59 am

The Democrats think Ben Bernanke will keep printing money. They want to make the economy so bad that everyone is dependent on Government.

GOP would have the balls

Let me know when that happens! :lol:

25. 25 | February 11, 2013 9:00 am

@ MacDuff:

The Pope stepped down so he can have a say on his successor.

26. Guggi
    26 | February 11, 2013 9:00 am

@ eaglesoars:

But there is a new kind of “Liberation Theologists” and they are in the business of female priests, gay marriage, ending celibacy and of course: “social justice”

27 | February 11, 2013 9:03 am

@ MacDuff:

screw the idiot talking head marxists.

28. Buckeye Abroad
    28 | February 11, 2013 9:04 am

Solidad O’Brien:

It’s always about sex with that lot. Something many catholics have known since the whole “pedophiling priest” news stories evolved over the decades is there are plenty more pedophiling public school teachers. Ann Coulter once mentioned the odds for ever one pedo preist conviction there are 33 public school teachers. It’s the news you don’t hear you need to be weary of.

Any case, interesting times we live in.

29 | February 11, 2013 9:05 am

@ MacDuff:
    The Pope stepped down so he can have a say on his successor.

he would still only get one vote as cardinal of rome.

30. eaglesoars
    30 | February 11, 2013 9:05 am

Guggi wrote:

I get such a kick out of these people. Joining a club whose rules they don’t agree with. Like Bradley Manning.

The Beagle is bugging me. BIAB

31 | February 11, 2013 9:08 am

my single favorite event is papal succession. i will stay home from work to watch this. it fascinates me to no end

32. 32 | February 11, 2013 9:10 am

he would still only get one vote as cardinal of rome.

But he does pick the Cardinals…..

33. 33 | February 11, 2013 9:10 am

Not going to be easy to replace My man Joe. The drumbeat for electing some squishy Third World Liberationist starts today, and it will be huge.

34. 34 | February 11, 2013 9:11 am

@ Guggi:

Yup, that’s their new approach.

That said I do think its time to allow Priests to get marry. The Jews and Orthodox Christians allow Marriage, the Catholics should too.

35. 35 | February 11, 2013 9:12 am

Mike C. wrote:

I think that is why he stepped down. To make sure he has a say in his successor.

36. 36 | February 11, 2013 9:12 am

I was just reflecting that Benedict is the sixth pope during my lifetime……

Q: How old are you?

A: Six Popes.

37. 37 | February 11, 2013 9:13 am

That is true, but he still will have a big say. I think that’s what part of this is about.

38 | February 11, 2013 9:16 am

MacDuff wrote:

I was just reflecting that Benedict is the sixth pope during my lifetime……
    Q: How old are you?
    A: Six Popes.

i am 4.

39. Guggi
    39 | February 11, 2013 9:19 am

eaglesoars wrote:

and it workes so well for the Lutherans in Germany: open gay/lesbian priests, a divorced female bishop (and many divorced male/female priests) and an open association with the “Green Party”. The churches are empty and – now retired – Bishop Huber called for cooporation with Evangelicals “because they lack space and we lack people”.

40. 40 | February 11, 2013 9:23 am

eaglesoars wrote:

Their intention is to be a human metastasis within the organizations they despise; you gotta be a special kind of pompous, self-righteous a-hole to engage in that type of activity.

41. 41 | February 11, 2013 9:23 am

I dunno. I remember when Pious XII died…

42 | February 11, 2013 9:24 am

he was in charge of doctrine and was responsible for destroying the liberationists and bringing the heretical sspx renegades to heel. hopefully, the cardinals choose well. i have let them know that i am in the running. its the only job i really want.

43 | February 11, 2013 9:24 am

or a journalism major.

44. 44 | February 11, 2013 9:26 am

@ MacDuff:

Maybe Rick Santorum should be the next Pope. I think that is his true calling!

45 | February 11, 2013 9:27 am

@ Guggi:

iprefer the orthodox system. the parish priests are married. the monks and leadership are celibate. you must be married before you are ordained and if there is a divorce, you are no longer a priest.

46 | February 11, 2013 9:28 am

@ MacDuff:
    Maybe Rick Santorum should be the next Pope. I think that is his true calling!
    :lo:

pope sanctimonious assholius the first.

47. 47 | February 11, 2013 9:29 am

I can’t remember the last event that was described as happening “the first time in 600 years”; that’s pretty momentous, in itself.

48. 48 | February 11, 2013 9:31 am

That would be a nightmare. He would rant and rave about contraception.

49. citizen_q
    49 | February 11, 2013 9:31 am

or a journalism major.

Or a Supreme Court Justice? I am thinking of Justice Ginsberg and her comments to the a-rab spring governments advising them to not use the US Constitution as a model for their new constitutions.

50 | February 11, 2013 9:33 am

MacDuff wrote:

il papa has wisdom. if he is in poor health, this is the right move. this shows great humility as well. a rare thing these days.

51 | February 11, 2013 9:35 am

@ citizen_q:

stout hemp rope.

52. Guggi
    52 | February 11, 2013 9:36 am

I think it’s a good and honest decision. Ratzinger was very close to JPII and watched the long ongoing process af fading away of him while the Church was without a proper leadership. He’ll spare this the Church in his case.

53 | February 11, 2013 9:37 am

Guggi wrote:

i am thoroughly impressed by his wisdom and humility.

54. Guggi
    54 | February 11, 2013 9:41 am

i am thoroughly impressed by his wisdom and humility.

I was always impressed by him because he is a very deep thinker (and a human with failures)

55. 55 | February 11, 2013 9:41 am

@ Guggi:

This is the right move.

56. 56 | February 11, 2013 9:42 am

@ Guggi:

He’s a true Theologian/Philosopher.

57. 57 | February 11, 2013 9:43 am

Humility is indeed rare- not only these days, but throughout man’s history. I think that’s why it’s always such a valued virtue.

58 | February 11, 2013 9:45 am

as pope, i would renew the following:

deus volt

and i would dig up and re-inter pope formosus, just for good measure.

deus volt, yinz!

59 | February 11, 2013 9:47 am

Guggi wrote:

i am thoroughly impressed by his wisdom and humility.

the church is losing a great man.

60. 60 | February 11, 2013 9:47 am

@ Guggi:

He’s a true Theologian/Philosopher.

The profound intellectualism of Benedict, and Popes in general, is always overlooked. They’re far more than just the leader of the Catholic Church- they’re some of the most learned and prolific moral philosophers you’ll ever find.

61. 61 | February 11, 2013 9:51 am

the church is losing a great man.

Men like Benedict XVI belong to all of civilization.

62 | February 11, 2013 9:54 am

MacDuff wrote:

the church is losing a great man.
    Men like Benedict XVI belong to all of civilization.

true. and sadly rare

63 | February 11, 2013 9:54 am

bbl.

64. 64 | February 11, 2013 9:56 am

I hope I don’t go to hell for going OT on Benedict’s thread, his would make a helluva topic of discussion:

Artur Davis on “The House That Rove Built”

65. 65 | February 11, 2013 9:59 am

I am saddened by this news but I hope the next Pope will continue in Benedict’s vein. I personally loathe the current progressive form of Mass, the the use of the Protestant Pater Noster, that shake hands with your neighbors. Catholics want their traditions back – there’s a church in Vacaville that offers the Tridentine (Latin) Mass every Sunday at 11:00 – old traditions – women’s heads must be covered, no blue jeans, no sneakers and track suits – in other words, you dress for Mass like you did back in the day. They can’t offer a 10:00 Mass because people arrive an hour early just to be able to get in.

66 | February 11, 2013 10:00 am

@ Carolina Girl:
    As long as you don’t get involved with Mel Gibson type of Catholicism!

67. eaglesoars
    67 | February 11, 2013 10:00 am

I hope I don’t go to hell

Hell? nah.

Kansas mebbe

68 | February 11, 2013 10:01 am

eaglesoars wrote:

I hope I don’t go to hell
    Hell? nah.
    Kansas mebbe

I’ll see your Kansas and raise you Detroit, Michigan.

69 | February 11, 2013 10:02 am

MacDuff wrote:

Artur Davis on “The House That Rove Built”

Karl Pig Vomit Rove is the ultimate target rich environment.

70. 70 | February 11, 2013 10:02 am

@ Speranza:

Well, we all have those in the flock that embarrass us no end.

71 | February 11, 2013 10:02 am

MacDuff wrote:

the church is losing a great man.

Men like Benedict XVI belong to all of civilization.

There was a guy who understood what Islam was all about.

72 | February 11, 2013 10:05 am

@ Speranza:
    Well, we all have those in the flock that embarrass us no end.

Sedevacantism Catholicism I believe is what they (Gibson pere at fils) practices.

73. 73 | February 11, 2013 10:06 am

@ Speranza:

I don’t know if you caught Levin’s show on Friday (you can download free and load on a smartphone) but he DESTROYED all of Karl Rove’s claims re being a conservative. He flat out called him a liar.

74. eaglesoars
    74 | February 11, 2013 10:06 am

Speranza wrote:

I’ll see your Kansas and raise you Detroit, Michigan.

fold

75. 75 | February 11, 2013 10:07 am

@ Speranza:

Please dear God – Not DETROIT!!

76 | February 11, 2013 10:07 am

I hated it when fools referred to him as a Nazi because at age 15 he was in the Hitlerjugend (as if he had a choice).

77 | February 11, 2013 10:08 am

@ Speranza:
    Please dear God — Not DETROIT!!

Dante’s vision of Hell. Almost like a Hiernoymus Bosch painting.

78. 78 | February 11, 2013 10:08 am

Carolina Girl wrote:

I am saddened by this news but I hope the next Pope will continue in Benedict’s vein. I personally loathe the current progressive form of Mass, the the use of the Protestant Pater Noster, that shake hands with your neighbors. Catholics want their traditions back — there’s a church in Vacaville that offers the Tridentine (Latin) Mass every Sunday at 11:00 — old traditions — women’s heads must be covered, no blue jeans, no sneakers and track suits — in other words, you dress for Mass like you did back in the day. They can’t offer a 10:00 Mass because people arrive an hour early just to be able to get in.

You seem to be an “old school Catholic” like myself. We have a church here that offers the Tridentine Mass and yes, it’s generally filled.

The thing that I always loved about Catholicism was the air of mysticism that, alas, evaporated with the advent of the “protestantization” of the 60’s.

79. 79 | February 11, 2013 10:09 am

@ MacDuff:

I knew we were in trouble the first time I walked into a church and there was an acoustic guitar near the altar.

80. 80 | February 11, 2013 10:10 am

@ Speranza:

Dennis Miller described it best. “It looks like downtown Beruit, an open-air Nintendo Game.”

81 | February 11, 2013 10:12 am

As a Jew I always found it to be inspiring and sacred the Latin the one time I heard it (decades ago) when I went with a Catholic girlfriend to Mass (as a favor to her) at her R.C. Church. I sat in the back naturally.

82 | February 11, 2013 10:14 am

@ Speranza:

Up until 1962 it actually was a very nice and prosperous city.

83 | February 11, 2013 10:16 am

Good morning. Thhere will be all kinds of speculation about the reason
    for Pope Beneducts resignation & Vatican intrigue. some of it will sound
    like Angels & Demons.
    I think tht it is time for a Catholic Pope, but I doubt it will happen.

84. 84 | February 11, 2013 10:16 am

@ Speranza:

I miss the Latin – there was something incredibly mysterious. Of course, when I was a kid, I thought “Et cum spirtu tuo” was the Pope’s phone number….

[Catholics will get it immediately…non Catholics – sound it out.]

85. 85 | February 11, 2013 10:17 am

@ MacDuff:

Very good read and it makes some valid points. I think Rove understood the problem the GOP was facing, but when they had total power 2002-2006, they blew it. Now a large part of the electorate does not like them. Plus elements of the GOP base is stubborn and refuses to realize they need to reach out to others.

I think within the next few cycles we will see a different GOP or rather one that appears more like it’s 1980’s incarnation than the one that has existed since 92. But its going to be bloody. I wish this had happened after 2008, but too many thought Obama would be easy to beat. They were wrong.

86. 86 | February 11, 2013 10:17 am

The big speculation now is of course that the next Pope will be Black.

87. 87 | February 11, 2013 10:19 am

@ MacDuff:

I went to Orthodox Mass and it felt like an Old School Catholic mass. I think the Mysticism need to be brought back.

I prefer Spanish Mass because the language is close to Latin and those masses tend to be very traditional.

88 | February 11, 2013 10:19 am

@ MacDuff:

I was at a wedding Saturday & there was a beautiful rendition of Ave Maria.
    It occurred to me that we Catholics really have only two great musical
    pieces, Ave Maria & Silent Night.
    We need some more tunes.

89. 89 | February 11, 2013 10:22 am

@ Speranza:

Rove vs. The purists is exactly what is wrong with the GOP. I’m in the pox on both their houses category. I do not like the Wannabe Socialism of Rove nor do I like the The I am better than you attitude of parts of the base.

I think in a few cycles we will have a different GOP, but its going to be a fight to get there.

90. 90 | February 11, 2013 10:22 am

@ MacDuff:

The beautiful old church where I took my First Communion, located a wonderful old blue-collar neighborhood, was gutted in the 60’s and turned into a hideous, modern “in-the-round” abomination.

Traditional values were swept away with our traditional rituals…

91 | February 11, 2013 10:23 am

Carolina Girl wrote:

The big speculation now is of course that the next Pope will be Black.

There was a lot of that speculation last time around.

92. 92 | February 11, 2013 10:24 am

Well, we have that catchy tune by the Singing Nun….

93. 93 | February 11, 2013 10:26 am

@ MacDuff:

And that’s another thing. I want the communion handrail back and I want one Priest, one altar boy. This putting the host in your mouth with your hands makes me ill. I don’t CARE if it takes longer. Communion isn’t supposed to move like the drive-thru window at McDonald’s!

94 | February 11, 2013 10:26 am

Speranza wrote:

Back in the mid-90s, I met a fellow who had probably been in the Hitlerjugend as a kid. He was more or less the right age. It was at a conference in Amsterdam, and he wanted to go to the Anne Frank house; he asked me to go with him.

Very interesting afternoon. I’d been to the Anne Frank house in 1960, long before Anne Frank became Big Business; back then, you had to make an appointment and have a caretaker wrench back the bookcase that took you up to the secret annex where the Franks hid. The place looked almost as it did when the Gestapo hauled the family away—it was, after all, only 15 years after the end of the war.

It sure had changed by 1996: plexiglass museum entrance booth, background video playing in a room on the ground floor, new exterior metal staircase to accommodate all the visiting traffic. The bare floorboards had been covered with linoleum to prevent their being worn out by thousands of feet; the pictures from illustrated papers which the people hiding there had cut out and pasted on the wall to brighten up their hiding place had been covered over by plexiglass to prevent their being scrabbled off and stolen by souvenir hunters. Big gift shop, of course.

I found this transformation disturbing, having seen it in its early days—but my companion was visibly moved. We spent a long afternoon afterwards over some excellent glasses of beer discussing the experience, and discussing some of the racial unrest plaguing Germany at that time; there was a lot of skinhead/neo-Nazi violence directed at Turkish guest workers in those days before radical Islam had clearly reared its head.

I found his take on things much more complex, much more passionate and compassionate, than the German student I ended up speaking with at the conference later that evening. She was born long after the war—indeed, she was born long after my first visit to the Anne Frank house—and her assumption of a wholly vicarious guilt for what the Nazis had done terrified me. Because her spurious assumption of guilt was not grounded in any reality, it was clear that it could easily alter and turn itself inside out; it was a free-floating attitude that had no substance. The older man who had experienced some of the lingering horrors of the war, even if indirectly, was someone with whom it was possible to have a complex and intelligent discussion, whether or not one agreed with him. The student wallowing in an unearned guilt was a fascist waiting to happen.

95. 95 | February 11, 2013 10:29 am

@ Speranza:

50 years of unrestrained Democrat rule will do that to you. Detroit is a hole. It is one city that if the Islamonazis nuked it, no one would notice.

96 | February 11, 2013 10:30 am

Carolina Girl wrote:

Well, we have that catchy tune by the Singing Nun….

Yeah, but she went rogue with her gal pal.

97. 97 | February 11, 2013 10:30 am

Hey good real estate!

98 | February 11, 2013 10:36 am

@ Speranza:

Detroit is like futuristic horror movie.
    There are abandoned neighborhoods with packs of feral animals
    dominating, and vegetation growing in houses.

99. 99 | February 11, 2013 10:37 am

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

I think that may well be one of the more interesting paragraphs I’ll read today; it’s certainly the most thought provoking.

100 | February 11, 2013 10:37 am

vegetation growing in houses.

Pot farms?

101. 101 | February 11, 2013 10:38 am

Meanwhile, if you have a strong stomach, you can read what the tolerant left tweeted in response over at Weasel Zippers. I’m sure our favorite no-talent Jazzy Ponytail will join right in the chorus.

102 | February 11, 2013 10:39 am

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

vegetation growing in houses.

Pot farms?

I think that they do that right downtown.

103 | February 11, 2013 10:41 am

Carolina Girl wrote:

It’s all over Twitter, lots of hate.

104. 104 | February 11, 2013 10:44 am

I saw the Alouette post over at DoD. Interestingly, one of her minions who decided to go after me last time on Twitter has all of 8 followers and surprise, surprise, one of them is Charles Johnson. Hoping for me to fall into the Reply trap. Not gonna happen.

105. 105 | February 11, 2013 10:45 am

@ Carolina Girl:

Check DOD, Aloutte should her Catholic bigotry already.

106. 106 | February 11, 2013 10:46 am

I gave her a “see you next Tuesday” wave.

107 | February 11, 2013 10:49 am

Carolina Girl wrote:

That place is a nut house. The conformity with that
    clown Johnson should shame all of them.

108. eaglesoars
    108 | February 11, 2013 10:51 am

I feel a nap coming on.

later

109 | February 11, 2013 10:52 am

@ Carolina Girl:

Check DOD, Aloutte should her Catholic bigotry already.

She thinks that the next Pope does not have to be Catholic?
    Ok, I want to be President of the NAACP. Hey White is a color!

110 | February 11, 2013 10:56 am

Ok, I want to be President of the NAACP. Hey White is a color!

The Democrats, claiming to be “anti-racist,” are utterly race-obsessed, and their First Black President, elected by people who hoped and believed he would go beyond the race obsession and finally lay it to rest, injects race into everything.

The Democrats also claim to be the “party of science,” and deride conservatives for being “anti-scientific”—yet they endorse the anti-scientific fiction of “transgenderism,” which decrees that contrary to the physical evidence of the body and the scientific evidence of DNA, one can be a member of the opposite sex based solely on one’s feelings.

Accordingly, I hereby decree that–based upon one’s feelings, it is possible to be transracial—all that is necessary to be black, or brown, or yellow, or white is to feel that one is, and to really, really believe it. No hormone shots, creams, or lotions necessary—maybe a stack of Motown or Duke Ellington records, or some sides by the Ray Coniff singers.

111. Prebanned
    111 | February 11, 2013 11:02 am

@ buzzsawmonkey:
    Awesome!
    I KNEW I was a neanderthal.

112. 112 | February 11, 2013 11:05 am

@ buzzsawmonkey:

I like Buzz’s decree – I can see a boom for the t-shirt industry; for instance:

“A Carolina Cracker Who Keeps Gettin’ Blacker.”

113. Prebanned
    113 | February 11, 2013 11:06 am

@ Carolina Girl:
    Next Census I am checking every box

114. 114 | February 11, 2013 11:07 am

On the occasion of Benedict’s resignation, I checked LGF for the first time in months. It’s like flies on dog shit on a hot July afternoon, except flies don’t really have a choice.

115 | February 11, 2013 11:08 am

@ Prebanned:
    @ Carolina Girl:
    @ Prebanned:

It’s science! The Democrats say so!

116. 116 | February 11, 2013 11:09 am

@ buzzsawmonkey:

I’ve always felt i was a tall, thin black man, despite being 5’8″ and weighing in at 191 as of this morning. Feelings trump mere physical realities, after all… :roll:

117 | February 11, 2013 11:09 am

@ buzzsawmonkey:
    By any metrics race relations are worse under obama.
    When the Dems try to immunize him from criticism by screaming
    racism it kills debate & frustrates people.
    Obama has made it an us & them proposition by race & class.

118 | February 11, 2013 11:11 am

Johnson has a real grudge against the Catholic Church
    for some reason.

119 | February 11, 2013 11:13 am

I look forward to someone suing over a denial of benefits—scholarships, hiring preferences, etc.—on the basis that they are being discriminated against for being transracial.

About ten or fifteen such lawsuits scatter-sited around the country might kill off an awful lot of nonsense.

120. 120 | February 11, 2013 11:15 am

You may be White, but you are Black in spirit.

121. 121 | February 11, 2013 11:15 am

I think I need some Affirmative Action to get me in the NBA, too. Mere merit-based employment is so Twentieth Century… :roll:

122. 122 | February 11, 2013 11:16 am

@ Carolina Girl:

I know her real name.

123. 123 | February 11, 2013 11:16 am

He probably wishes he’d been molested by a priest… 8O

124 | February 11, 2013 11:19 am

You may be White, but you are Black in spirit.

Exacty right, I am dow with the struggle.

125. 125 | February 11, 2013 11:20 am

I should be sufficiently grouchy in a couple weeks since I observe traditional Lent of Fast and Abstinance. No meat, one full meal a day.
    By the time Easter rolls around, I’d kill for a chicken pot pie.

126 | February 11, 2013 11:20 am

He probably wishes he’d been molested by a priest…

Yeah, his ego is bruised because he got ignored.

127. 127 | February 11, 2013 11:21 am

Personally, deep inside, I think I’m Larry Elder.

128. 128 | February 11, 2013 11:21 am

BTW, I see where Mooch AND Clinton both lost at the Grammys last night.

129 | February 11, 2013 11:22 am

Johnson has a real grudge against the Catholic Church
    for some reason.

Johnson, the obese blogger
    Didn’t like the Catholic Church
    Though he was brought up within it
    He felt it left him in the lurch

All the other altar boys
    Used to laugh and call him names
    ‘Cause he was not included
    In the sexual-abuse games

Years later, the Pope resigned
    And he got to tweet
    “Good riddance to this old Pope
    Who’ll they choose for the next dope?”

Then all his posters loved him
    And they shouted with glee,
    “Johnson, the obese blogger,
    We’ll give you our sycophancy!”

—to the tune of “Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer”

130 | February 11, 2013 11:27 am

I want to be a power forward. I have a half inch veritical leap.

131 | February 11, 2013 11:28 am

@ buzzsawmonkey:
    He just feels left out.

132 | February 11, 2013 11:30 am

He just feels left out.

Oh, his Leftism is out there.

133. 133 | February 11, 2013 11:34 am

@ buzzsawmonkey:

Hee. I found it interesting that Jazzy follows this one nerd who snotted at me after I posted Alouette’s lies about the TGDN – this twit has 19 tweets and is following only one individual (not Chucky by the way). Guy has 8 followers and one of them is CHUCK? Sounds like a sock that he created or that he had one of his little elfs create “and when she replies to you, everybody pounce and block and report.” BTW, I went back to check his 19 tweets – it reads “no tweets.”

We all know what the “reply” trap is, Jazzy. And I NEVER respond to libturds. My time is too valuable to waste on idiots.

134. 134 | February 11, 2013 11:50 am

Carolina Girl wrote:

By the time Easter rolls around, I’d kill for a chicken pot pie.

I’m thinking seriously of observing a traditional Lent this year. I watched Fr. Jonathan Morris yesterday on Fpx and he was really in rare form in his discussion of giving up certain things and adding certain things in their place- quite inspiring and thought-provoking. Though I quit smoking two years ago, I’ve still some bad habits I could shed and some good ones I could acquire, as do we all.

The louder the critics of the Church become, the more they drive me toward her, funny how that works. The Latin Mass at St. Martin of Tours, Ash Wednesday, 8:00 AM. I’m there.

135. mtc
    135 | February 11, 2013 11:52 am

@ MacDuff:
    Yeah! But seriously, I was upset to hear this; I loved my “German shepherd. I hope and pray that God protects him and gives us a worthy successor.

136. 136 | February 11, 2013 11:53 am

I want to be a power forward. I have a half inch veritical leap.

It’d be cooler to be Dr. Benjamin Carson!

137. 137 | February 11, 2013 11:54 am

mtc wrote:

“…my German shepherd.”

I really like that!

138. 138 | February 11, 2013 11:55 am

@ MacDuff:

Yeah, but it pays more to be in the NBA. Those are some evil rich dudes…

139. mtc
    139 | February 11, 2013 11:57 am

Maybe Pope Emeritus or Emertus bishop of Rome.

140 | February 11, 2013 11:59 am

@ Carolina Girl:

I don’t really follow the fortunes of Mad King Yertle any more, except as they are mentioned in passing here. There are so many more interesting things to do.

He does, however, perform a service; in keeping his coterie of acolytes busy giving him tongue-baths, he occupies their time so that the adults have more freedom of movement around the rest of the Internet.

141. mtc
    141 | February 11, 2013 12:05 pm

The former pope won’t be able to vote as he is over 80

142 | February 11, 2013 12:06 pm

MacDuff wrote:

I want to be a power forward. I have a half inch veritical leap.

It’d be cooler to be Dr. Benjamin Carson!

Yes it would.

143. mtc
    143 | February 11, 2013 12:08 pm

I’m 5 Popes old since John XXIII

144. 144 | February 11, 2013 12:11 pm

@ MacDuff:

The Latin Mass is enjoying an enormous upsurge in popularity, especially among younger Catholics. I get that the Church wanted to make Mass “more accessible” but in their zeal they turned us all into Anglicans(NTTAWWT).

145. 145 | February 11, 2013 12:13 pm

@ mtc:

Pius XII was Pope when I was born, but John XXIII was the first one that I knew, so to speak. Followed by Paul VI. My mother was one of the most religious Catholics EVER and even SHE didn’t like Paul VI. She adored John-Paul I and John-Paul II. I think she would have liked Benedict.

146. 146 | February 11, 2013 12:15 pm

@ mtc:

We must be just about the same age, you and I. I’ll be 60 (and 7 Popes old) in May. :D

147. 147 | February 11, 2013 12:15 pm

Had I but known…..I’d have grabbed a couple dozen for the California contingent….

148. 148 | February 11, 2013 12:16 pm

@ MacDuff:

Same. In October. Exactly 6 months AFTER Jazzy.

149. mtc
    149 | February 11, 2013 12:18 pm

@ MacDuff:
    I got that off a bumper sticker

150. Lily
    150 | February 11, 2013 12:44 pm

MacDuff wrote:

Normally the Pope stays whether sick or not unless the Pope sees something coming that a stronger Pope will be needed. This is by far not normal.

151. Lily
    151 | February 11, 2013 12:46 pm

Macker wrote:

I keep reading prophecies about Pope Benedict being the Next to Last Pope….

Something is wrong…the Cardinals had no clue about him stepping down. If it was his health this would not be a surprise….to the Cardinals.

152. 152 | February 11, 2013 12:50 pm

@ Lily:

I think he wants to make sure he gets to influence who his successor is.

153. Lily
    153 | February 11, 2013 12:53 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

will the Liberation Theologists win out? Or doe it matter
    I doubt it. IIRC John Paul excommunicated a few.
    Macker wrote:
    I keep reading prophecies about Pope Benedict being the Next to Last Pope….
    Yeah. I remember we were all reading that when Pope Ben was elected.

This is highly unususal to say the least!!! Something is terribly wrong and it isn’t his health in my opinion. Popes normally stay til death.

154. Lily
    154 | February 11, 2013 12:54 pm

MacDuff wrote:

Because something is terribly wrong and it isn’t his health…

155. 155 | February 11, 2013 1:03 pm

I think he wants to make sure he gets to influence who his successor is.

I wonder how many Cardinals he’s appointed. If Dolan is any indication, he’s leaving a far more conservative, traditionalist Church than he found, not to take anything away from John Paul II, a Saint if there ever was one.

156. Lily
    156 | February 11, 2013 1:07 pm

@ Lily:
    I think he wants to make sure he gets to influence who his successor is.

You could be correct..but when I heard it…I thought something is wrong…he saw something spiritual or something.

157. Lily
    157 | February 11, 2013 1:09 pm

MacDuff wrote:

I think he wants to make sure he gets to influence who his successor is.

Yes this Pope did correct some of the errors of Vatican II …

158. 158 | February 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Lily wrote:

Because something is terribly wrong and it isn’t his health…

I’ve no real reason to think this, but he may have Alzheimer’s or some other progressive condition. Then again, he seems very interested in keeping the Church front and center on the world stage and he may feel that an 85 year-old man in ill health is up to performing that historically all-important task.

159. 159 | February 11, 2013 1:21 pm

@ MacDuff:

“…is NOT up to performing that historically all-important task.”

160 | February 11, 2013 1:38 pm

mtc wrote:

Maybe Pope Emeritus or Emertus bishop of Rome.

I LOVE IT!

161 | February 11, 2013 3:06 pm

@ 94 buzzsawmonkey:

free-floating attitude that had no substance

. That is OBama today isn’t it?

162. Lily
    162 | February 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Lily wrote:
    Because something is terribly wrong and it isn’t his health…

If it is his health …the Cardinals would not be taken so aback…but it could be his …it also could be something coming in the very near future that the Pope thinks the Church will need a younger stronger Pope.

163. Aussie Infidel
    163 | February 12, 2013 5:49 am

As long as the new Pope doesn’t take the name Pope Peter II I’m cool. If he does however I’m heading for the hills folks !

164. Aussie Infidel
    164 | February 12, 2013 5:51 am

You all realise of course that the next guy is supposed to be the last Pope and he’s not at all good.

Brought to you by the folks who said that the world ended in 21st. December 2012.

165. Aussie Infidel