First time visitor? Learn more.

Al-Qaeda’s secret plan left behind by fleeing Mali Islamists

by 1389AD ( 45 Comments › )
Filed under Africa, Al Qaeda, Sharia (Islamic Law) at February 17th, 2013 - 9:38 am

RT has the story:

A still from a video shows armed Islamists patrolling in the streets of Gao, the biggest city in northern Mali (AFP Photo)
A still from a video shows armed Islamists patrolling in the
streets of Gao, the biggest city in northern Mali (AFP Photo)

Fleeing advancing French and Malian forces, al-Qaeda militants left a strategic blueprint outlining their general plan for Mali and the region. The nine-page document unlocks a door to the world’s most feared terrorist network.

­The letter was discovered by the Associated Press in Timbuktu in a pile of papers and trash inside a building occupied by the Islamists for almost a year. It is signed by Abu Musab Abdul Wadud, the nom de guerre of Abdelmalek Droukdel, the senior commander appointed by Osama bin Laden to run al-Qaeda’s branch in Africa.

The document is comprised of six chapters, only three of which were recovered. The pages are not dated, but a reference to June 2012 events in Mali indicates that the message was sent as recently eight months ago.

In his address to the fighters, Droukdel, the emir in the Islamic Maghreb, predicts that Western intervention would occur sometime in January. He writes, “It is very probable, perhaps certain, that a military intervention will occur… which in the end will either force us to retreat to our rear bases or will provoke the people against us because of starvation or the cutting of supplies and salaries….”

The document also debates how to apply Sharia, or Islamic law, “one of the wrong policies that we think you carried out is the extreme speed with which you applied Shariah, not taking into consideration the gradual evolution that should be applied in an environment that is ignorant of religion, and a people which hasn’t applied Shariah in centuries,” the letter reads.

If the law is applied too rigorously in such circumstances, the document says, “it will lead to people rejecting the religion, and engender hatred toward the Mujahedeen, and will consequently lead to the failure of our experiment.”

The treatment of women and the destruction of Timbuktu’s temples are also discussed as Droukdel argues that his militia are too brutal in applying the Islamic law to northern Mali.

Despite the possibility of defeat, the letter also notes that al-Qaeda is to stay in the region through infiltration into the local tribal society.

“It is an important golden opportunity to extend bridges to the various sectors and parts of Azawad …to end the situation of political and social and intellectual separation (or isolation) between the Mujahedeen and these sectors, particularly the big tribes, and the main rebel movements with their various ideologies…”

Once trust is established, Droukdel argues, it is better to use local movements to promote the group’s agenda. “We should also take into consideration not to monopolize the political and military stage. We should not be at the forefront,” he says. “Better for you to be silent and pretend to be a ‘domestic’ movement that has its own causes and concerns. There is no reason for you to show that we have an expansionary, jihadi, al-Qaeda or any other sort of project.”

AP claims that Droukdel’s writing is one of only a few internal documents of al-Qaeda’s African wing that has been found, and probably the first one made public.

According to Islamic scholar Mathieu Guidere, who helped authenticate the letter, the document is numbered 33/234, a system reserved for al-Qaeda’s internal communications.

“It confirms something very important, which is the divisions about the strategic conception of the organization. There was a debate on how to establish an Islamic state in North Mali and how to apply Shariah,” Guidere says.

AP’s finding emerges as US Secretary of State John Kerry, on Thursday, praised the “successful” intervention by France in January to push Islamist rebels, who took over part of the country last year and applied strict Sharia law, from northern Mali.

France began its military mission on January 11, after Mali’s interim government asked for help combating the insurgency there.

More here.


Tags: ,

Comments

Comments and respectful debate are both welcome and encouraged.

Comments are the sole opinion of the comment writer, just as each thread posted is the sole opinion or post idea of the administrator that posted it or of the readers that have written guest posts for the Blogmocracy.

Obscene, abusive, or annoying remarks may be deleted or moved to spam for admin review, but the fact that particular comments remain on the site in no way constitutes an endorsement of their content by any other commenter or the admins of this Blogmocracy.

We're not easily offended and don't want people to think they have to walk on eggshells around here (like at another place that shall remain nameless) but of course, there is a limit to everything.

Play nice!

45 Responses to “Al-Qaeda’s secret plan left behind by fleeing Mali Islamists”
( jump to bottom )

  1. coldwarrior
    1 | February 17, 2013 10:08 am

    they are operating not unlike a virus.


  2. 2 | February 17, 2013 10:36 am

    coldwarrior wrote:

    they are operating not unlike a virus.

    There is only ONE WAY to exterminate a virus…it involves Light and Heat.
    ISLAM DELENDA EST.


  3. heysoos
    3 | February 17, 2013 11:05 am

    Macker wrote:

    coldwarrior wrote:
    they are operating not unlike a virus.

    There is only ONE WAY to exterminate a virus…it involves Light and Heat.
    ISLAM DELENDA EST.

    starve them to death…but to do that we’d need an energy/security policy that allows us to break away from ME supplies…very doable using calories as leverage…that’s why AQ is moving into subSaharan Africa…for the fertile lands…duh?


  4. brookly red
    4 | February 17, 2013 11:14 am

    RE: The document also debates how to apply Sharia, or Islamic law, “one of the wrong policies that we think you carried out is the extreme speed with which you applied Shariah, not taking into consideration the gradual evolution that should be applied in an environment that is ignorant of religion, and a people which hasn’t applied Shariah in centuries,” the letter reads.

    If the law is applied too rigorously in such circumstances, the document says, “it will lead to people rejecting the religion, and engender hatred toward the Mujahedeen, and will consequently lead to the failure of our experiment.”

    Consider this part carefully…


  5. coldwarrior
    5 | February 17, 2013 11:21 am

    heysoos wrote:

    starve them to death…but to do that we’d need an energy/security policy that allows us to break away from ME supplies…very doable using calories as leverage…that’s why AQ is moving into subSaharan Africa…for the fertile lands…duh?

    its going to come down to water and calories.


  6. brookly red
    6 | February 17, 2013 11:23 am

    coldwarrior wrote:

    heysoos wrote:

    starve them to death…but to do that we’d need an energy/security policy that allows us to break away from ME supplies…very doable using calories as leverage…that’s why AQ is moving into subSaharan Africa…for the fertile lands…duh?

    its going to come down to water and calories.

    Stock pile beer it has plenty of both.


  7. coldwarrior
    7 | February 17, 2013 11:24 am

    @ brookly red:

    creeping sharia. just like we have observed elsewhere. of course if you point it out you are a right wing zionist &/or christian fool. more evil than satan himself.


  8. coldwarrior
    8 | February 17, 2013 11:24 am

    brookly red wrote:

    Stock pile beer

    i’m wayyyyy ahead of ya


  9. Dolphin
    9 | February 17, 2013 11:25 am

    The Military Chanel is running their “Black Ops” series today. If you have nothing better to do, it is a good watch.

    http://military.discovery.com/tv-shows/black-ops

    http://military.discovery.com/tv-shows/black-ops/tv-schedule.htm


  10. brookly red
    10 | February 17, 2013 11:27 am

    coldwarrior wrote:

    @ brookly red:

    creeping sharia. just like we have observed elsewhere. of course if you point it out you are a right wing zionist &/or christian fool. more evil than satan himself.

    right wing zionist &/or christian fool? as opposed to raaacist?

    I am moving up in the world :)


  11. buzzsawmonkey
  12. Bumr50
    12 | February 17, 2013 11:31 am

    brookly red wrote:

    right wing zionist &/or christian fool? as opposed to raaacist?

    Would New Gun Laws Spark Widespread Civil Disobedience?

    ht- PJM

    Something tells me it’s not going to be widely called “civil disobedience” when it occurs…


  13. brookly red
    13 | February 17, 2013 11:34 am

    Bumr50 wrote:

    brookly red wrote:

    right wing zionist &/or christian fool? as opposed to raaacist?

    Would New Gun Laws Spark Widespread Civil Disobedience?

    ht- PJM

    Something tells me it’s not going to be widely called “civil disobedience” when it occurs…

    yet they can’t even round up the guns in Chicago…


  14. 14 | February 17, 2013 11:40 am

    @ Bumr50:

    The American Revolution gradually arose over a number of issues; discreditation or ignoring local legislatures, taxation without representation, transportation for trial or punishment, etc. But let’s remember what actually caused the shooting to start -- gun confiscation. Lexington and Concord, anyone?


  15. buzzsawmonkey
    15 | February 17, 2013 11:44 am

    brookly red wrote:

    yet they can’t even round up the guns in Chicago…

    “Can’t?” No, won’t—not just because the guns in Chicago are mostly illegal and therefore not pre-tracked, but because they are in the hands of de facto political allies. The violence in Chicago are a tacit admission that the gangs, not the law and certainly not the police, control the black areas of the city, and that whether the gangs pay protection to the Machine or are, in fact, the Machine in their own areas (the two are not, of course, mutually exclusive), permitting this localized lawlessness in the unproductive areas of the city allows the Machine to retain its control over the productive areas.


  16. brookly red
    16 | February 17, 2013 11:51 am

    buzzsawmonkey wrote:

    brookly red wrote:

    yet they can’t even round up the guns in Chicago…

    “Can’t?” No, won’t—not just because the guns in Chicago are mostly illegal and therefore not pre-tracked, but because they are in the hands of de facto political allies. The violence in Chicago are a tacit admission that the gangs, not the law and certainly not the police, control the black areas of the city, and that whether the gangs pay protection to the Machine or are, in fact, the Machine in their own areas (the two are not, of course, mutually exclusive), permitting this localized lawlessness in the unproductive areas of the city allows the Machine to retain its control over the productive areas.

    very true, I do however question the tacit admission</em part… the sheer volume suggests cooperation if not actual enablement.


  17. buzzsawmonkey
    17 | February 17, 2013 11:53 am

    @ brookly red:

    Yours is far more politic and a better phrasing—over and above the lousy verb agreement that I used.


  18. brookly red
    18 | February 17, 2013 11:55 am

    buzzsawmonkey wrote:

    @ brookly red:

    Yours is far more politic and a better phrasing—over and above the lousy verb agreement that I used.

    you are far too kind… let’s just say the fuckers are in on it :)


  19. RIX
    19 | February 17, 2013 11:58 am

    @ buzzsawmonkey:
    Chicago Police Chief Gary McCarthy went to Father Pflagers
    St. Sabina church & blamed the Tea Party for violence.
    He was at Ground Zero for South Side gang violence & blames
    the Tea Party?


  20. brookly red
    20 | February 17, 2013 12:00 pm

    I heard a rumor, just a rumor no, links no evidence, that guns used in crimes in places like Newark and Philadelphia that are supposed to be destroyed are actually showing up in Chicago…


  21. lobo91
    21 | February 17, 2013 12:04 pm

    Bob Woodward: Democratic Senators Calling WH Asking If Hagel Will Withdraw

    Blood in the water…


  22. Bumr50
    22 | February 17, 2013 12:05 pm

    @ brookly red:

    Wouldn’t that be a story?


  23. brookly red
    23 | February 17, 2013 12:08 pm

    lobo91 wrote:

    Bob Woodward: Democratic Senators Calling WH Asking If Hagel Will Withdraw

    Blood in the water…

    hey Buzz… remember Deep Purple/Smoke on the Water? you could do this one in less than 15 minutes… it is now 12:08 :)


  24. brookly red
    24 | February 17, 2013 12:12 pm

    Bumr50 wrote:

    @ brookly red:

    Wouldn’t that be a story?

    well yes… it’s odd how the mayor of Chicago never does like the mayor’s of other big blue cities and grandstands about the source of these guns… every time someone gets shot in NYC Bloomy gets all crazy about out of state gun sales. Rahm? not a peep.


  25. coldwarrior
    25 | February 17, 2013 12:16 pm

    that traitor to western civ john mccains friends in action:

    ­

    Libyan authorities have arrested four foreign nationals in the eastern city of Benghazi on suspicion of being Christian missionaries. The arrests come as Libya celebrates two years since the start of the revolution that ousted Muammar Gaddafi.

    One of the alleged missionaries held dual Swedish-US citizenship, Swedish authorities have confirmed. The others detained were from South Africa, Egypt and South Korea.

    The arrested foreigners were reportedly interrogated before being handed over to Libyan intelligence authorities. They are currently being held in ‘Preventative Security’ – a parallel security body created during the 2011 war made up of several rebel brigades that fought in the conflict. With the general power vacuum in the region, it is unclear what charges the alleged missionaries would face if found guilty of evangelizing.

    “They were arrested on Tuesday at a publishing house where they were printing thousands of books that called for conversion to Christianity,” security official Hussein bin Hmeid told Reuters. Police reported finding 45,000 books, and said that another 25,000 had already been distributed.

    “Proselytizing is forbidden in Libya. We are a 100 percent Muslim country and this kind of action affects our national security,” Hmeid added.


  26. brookly red
    26 | February 17, 2013 12:30 pm

    @ coldwarrior:

    next time print the books out of country and ship them in…


  27. heysoos
    27 | February 17, 2013 12:36 pm

    brookly red wrote:

    @ coldwarrior:
    next time print the books out of country and ship them in…

    or stay home and mind your own business


  28. brookly red
    28 | February 17, 2013 12:39 pm

    heysoos wrote:

    brookly red wrote:

    @ coldwarrior:
    next time print the books out of country and ship them in…

    or stay home and mind your own business

    that too..


  29. coldwarrior
    29 | February 17, 2013 12:39 pm

    wonder how long it will be until the libyan muzz murders the copts who have been in libya since 200ad


  30. brookly red
    30 | February 17, 2013 12:46 pm

    coldwarrior wrote:

    wonder how long it will be until the libyan muzz murders the copts who have been in libya since 200ad

    they will probably wait till after our midterm elections…


  31. 31 | February 17, 2013 1:07 pm

    @ buzzsawmonkey:

    If dem gangz be da Machine, dey be callin demselfs da Sheen….

    /winning!


  32. brookly red
    32 | February 17, 2013 1:28 pm

    Hey! now here is a promising idea… maybe be the English will start realizing being armed is not such a bad thing…

    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Defence/article1189106.ece


  33. buzzsawmonkey
    33 | February 17, 2013 2:14 pm

    @ lobo91:
    @ brookly red:

    Obama nominated Kerry
    To be Secretary of State
    Everybody shuddered to see who else
    He’d decide to nominate
    Chuck Hagel and John Brennan
    He asked the Senate to confirm
    But Ted Cruz and Lindsay Graham
    Made that nominee Hagel squirm
    Blood in the water, Obama’s second try
    Blood in the water, Obama’s second try

    He couldn’t answer the questions
    That the committee put to him
    His view of our Israeli allies
    Can be described at best as grim
    Hagel’s nomination
    Met with approval from Iran
    And that has to outweigh
    His past service in Vietnam
    Blood in the water, Obama’s second try
    Blood in the water, Obama’s second try

    When asked about past statements
    Hagel “could not seem to recall”
    And when asked about who had paid him money
    He’d say nothing at all
    The Senate went to recess
    And Hagel didn’t have the votes
    But you know for sure that Obama
    Will try to cram him down our throats
    Blood in the water, Obama’s second try
    Blood in the water, Obama’s second try


  34. brookly red
    34 | February 17, 2013 2:16 pm

    buzzsawmonkey wrote:

    @ lobo91:
    @ brookly red:

    Obama nominated Kerry
    To be Secretary of State
    Everybody shuddered to see who else
    He’d decide to nominate
    Chuck Hagel and John Brennan
    He asked the Senate to confirm
    But Ted Cruz and Lindsay Graham
    Made that nominee Hagel squirm
    Blood in the water, Obama’s second try
    Blood in the water, Obama’s second try

    He couldn’t answer the questions
    That the committee put to him
    His view of our Israeli allies
    Can be described at best as grim
    Hagel’s nomination
    Met with approval from Iran
    And that has to outweigh
    His past service in Vietnam
    Blood in the water, Obama’s second try
    Blood in the water, Obama’s second try

    When asked about past statements
    Hagel “could not seem to recall”
    And when asked about who had paid him money
    He’d say nothing at all
    The Senate went to recess
    And Hagel didn’t have the votes
    But you know for sure that Obama
    Will try to cram him down our throats
    Blood in the water, Obama’s second try
    Blood in the water, Obama’s second try

    nice… not your best, but helluva job anyway


  35. buzzsawmonkey
    35 | February 17, 2013 2:18 pm

    brookly red wrote:

    nice… not your best, but helluva job anyway

    Hey, they can’t all be the best…


  36. brookly red
    36 | February 17, 2013 2:20 pm

    buzzsawmonkey wrote:

    brookly red wrote:

    nice… not your best, but helluva job anyway

    Hey, they can’t all be the best…

    exactly! but you stood up to the task so well done.


  37. Da_Beerfreak
    37 | February 17, 2013 3:16 pm

    Bumr50 wrote:

    brookly red wrote:

    right wing zionist &/or christian fool? as opposed to raaacist?

    Would New Gun Laws Spark Widespread Civil Disobedience?

    ht- PJM

    Something tells me it’s not going to be widely called “civil disobedience” when it occurs…

    “Peacefully deny the corrupt system’s authority over your life by supplying your own needs and your own security, rather than lashing out blindly. Force them to show their true colors. Expose their dishonor and maliciousness. Make them come after you like the predators they are, and then, once they can no longer play the role of the “defending hero” in the eyes of the public, use your right to self defense to send them a message they won’t forget.”
    Anaughtymouse :twisted:


  38. Da_Beerfreak
    38 | February 17, 2013 3:21 pm

    RIX wrote:

    @ buzzsawmonkey:
    Chicago Police Chief Gary McCarthy went to Father Pflagers
    St. Sabina church & blamed the Tea Party for violence.
    He was at Ground Zero for South Side gang violence & blames
    the Tea Party?

    If that ain’t proof that it’s all political; I don’t know what it will take to wake people up. :evil:


  39. yenta-fada
    39 | February 17, 2013 3:50 pm

    @ Da_Beerfreak:

    IMHO, the deafening silence tells you that they will wake up one morning to find themselves already boiled like lobsters.


  40. Alberta Oil Peon
    40 | February 17, 2013 3:59 pm

    coldwarrior wrote:

    heysoos wrote:
    starve them to death…but to do that we’d need an energy/security policy that allows us to break away from ME supplies…very doable using calories as leverage…that’s why AQ is moving into subSaharan Africa…for the fertile lands…duh?
    its going to come down to water and calories.

    Or exajoules of thermal energy, released all at once.


  41. Alberta Oil Peon
    41 | February 17, 2013 4:02 pm

    brookly red wrote:

    @ coldwarrior:
    next time print the books out of country and ship them in…

    Yes. And start printing korans spiked with Ebola virus.


  42. brookly red
    42 | February 17, 2013 4:21 pm

    Da_Beerfreak wrote:

    RIX wrote:

    @ buzzsawmonkey:
    Chicago Police Chief Gary McCarthy went to Father Pflagers
    St. Sabina church & blamed the Tea Party for violence.
    He was at Ground Zero for South Side gang violence & blames
    the Tea Party?

    If that ain’t proof that it’s all political; I don’t know what it will take to wake people up.

    well you have to understand that when libs say “T-party” it doesn’t actually refer to The Tea Party, it a code word for “all the other white people” but not us… we are your friend…

    I mean look who the audience is when they makes those statements


  43. buzzsawmonkey
    43 | February 17, 2013 4:24 pm

    brookly red wrote:

    well you have to understand that when libs say “T-party” it doesn’t actually refer to The Tea Party, it a code word for “all the other white people” but not us… we are your friend…

    Well said. It’s part of the White People’s Opt-Out program from the president’s all-racist agenda.


  44. brookly red
    44 | February 17, 2013 4:30 pm

    buzzsawmonkey wrote:

    brookly red wrote:

    well you have to understand that when libs say “T-party” it doesn’t actually refer to The Tea Party, it a code word for “all the other white people” but not us… we are your friend…

    Well said. It’s part of the White People’s Opt-Out program from the president’s all-racist agenda.

    well look they never say T-Party when talking about the economy or foreign policy, only when discussing social issues. Can you imagine if they tried that shit on Wall st.? they would be laughed out of the room… but gang banger shooting each other? It’s da man!


  45. 45 | February 17, 2013 9:28 pm

    brookly red wrote:

    heysoos wrote:
    brookly red wrote:
    @ coldwarrior:
    next time print the books out of country and ship them in…
    or stay home and mind your own business

    that too..

    ONLY if we can summarily imprison and/or deport every Muslim suspected of proselytizing Islam outside of Muslim countries.


Back to the Top

The Blogmocracy

website design was Built By David