Black Velvet OOT

by lobo91 ( 12 Comments › )
Filed under Canada, Music, OOT, Open thread at February 19th, 2013 - 1:22 am

A little Southern rock, Canadian style.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkXNEmtf9tk

Black Velvet won Alannah the 1990 Grammy for best female rock vocalist. Original Canadian release in the fall of 1989 met with #1 response in Quebec, preferring BV to her first Love Is single in Western Canada. BV was released to US radio in the fall of 1990, the single went to number 1 for 2 weeks with a bullet on Billboard’s Top 40 Chart by April,1990.

Comments

12 Responses to “Black Velvet OOT”

1 | February 19, 2013 1:25 am

This is pretty amazing.

An 11 year old Christina Aguilera performing a cover version of the same song in 1991.

2 | February 19, 2013 1:36 am

3 | February 19, 2013 1:45 am

Looks like I’m the only one here. I guess I’ll just continue with the late-’80s thing, then:

4 | February 19, 2013 1:52 am

David Coverdale and Tawny Kitaen. Their relationship was probably doomed from the start, because they fought over the hairspray.

Well, either that or the fact that she’s reportedly a psycho.

5 | February 19, 2013 2:00 am

Asteroids a reminder of space program weakness

“Asteroids,” tweeted astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, “are nature’s way of asking: ‘How’s that space program coming along?’”

:shock:

Slow night, lurking, ain’t got much to say… :grin:

6 | February 19, 2013 2:04 am

@ Da_Beerfreak:

Slow night, lurking, ain’t got much to say…

It’s pretty obvious that I don’t either…

7. 7 | February 19, 2013 2:50 am

Well don’t look at me… I still haven’t finished the first cup of coffee.

8. 8 | February 19, 2013 3:34 am

The Coyote identifies our problem -- we elected James I of England as president.

That’s a rather eerie and accurate historical analogy there. Note the outcome…

9. 9 | February 19, 2013 3:51 am

A friend in Houston reminds me that CMP is not the only source for M1 Garands and other rifles of the era. There’s James River Armory. These are restored rifles, and not cheap, but if you’ve got the coin, what the heck…

Springfields, K98s and M1 Carbines, too! I want one of each!

10 | February 19, 2013 5:17 am

I’d love to have an M1, or even just shoot one…an old buddy had one and a carbine…I shot the carbine, but the M1 had some sort of hold on me…just hefting it and aiming down the sights gives you a sense of of supremacy, perfection…I dunno, something almost mystic…maybe I’m just a nerd…I’ve shot just a few high powered rifles but I hit what I aimed at, kinda of a natural

11. 11 | February 19, 2013 6:01 am

@ heysoos:

Well, indulge yourself, then! “Field grade” M1 Garand from CMP $ 525 + $ 29.95 S&H, “service grade” $ 625 + $ 29.95 S&H. Both only H&R manufacture available now, but what the hey. Both shipped in a CMP hard case and delivered right to your doorstep in most states. Or there’s more expensive options, of course.

12. 12 | February 19, 2013 6:25 am

@ heysoos:

And while I didn’t shoot it, I did get handle my BiL’s new Hepburn (not dissimilar to a Sharps or Ballard) in .40/60 that he is now using in BPC competition. Cost $ 5000, not counting the rear tang sight and the spirit level globe front sight. Weighs 13 pounds. The barrel looks like it was machined out of a drive shaft for a large truck. Designed for 100-500 yard shots with black powder cartridges and iron sights. Woof!

I did fire a British Martini-action rifle in .45/550 once. Think the Battle of Rourk’s Drift. 600 grain bullet. Cartridge the size of a small flashlight.