Captain Scott Expedition Photography

by coldwarrior ( 73 Comments › )
Filed under History at February 20th, 2013 - 7:00 pm

Taken By Herbert Ponting:

Please go here and enjoy the slide show.
“London’s largest ever display of Herbert Ponting’s Captain Scott expedition photography opens shortly at the Chris Beetles Gallery in central London.

More than 60 photos will be exhibited, taken from the 1910 expedition. Here are a few of the highlights. ”

Huckfunn sez go here to for more exciting pics!

Comments

73 Responses to “Captain Scott Expedition Photography”

1 | February 20, 2013 7:04 pm

that looks like one hell of a fine boat

2 | February 20, 2013 7:22 pm

@ heysoos:

its beautiful

3. rain of lead
    3 | February 20, 2013 7:24 pm

hey ya’ll
    very cool pics

for them it was as alien as going to the moon

4 | February 20, 2013 7:24 pm

Makes me chilly just looking at those pics, but they are nice.

5. rain of lead
    5 | February 20, 2013 7:26 pm

aggggggghhhhhh
    me want
    me want NOW!!!!

The Beercade machine rewards winners with free beer

Developed for Big Boss Brewing, the Beercade machine is a fighting game that takes cups instead of quarters and dispenses beer to the winning player

6 | February 20, 2013 7:33 pm

Here’s another photo stream entitled “The Lost Photographs of Captain Scott”.

7 | February 20, 2013 7:37 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Here’s another photo stream entitled “The Lost Photographs of Captain Scott”.

thx, i forgot to add that earlier

8 | February 20, 2013 7:38 pm

Yar.

9 | February 20, 2013 7:42 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

Yar.

indeed!

10. Dolphin
    10 | February 20, 2013 7:47 pm

Really cool pics. Are they of the Antarctic? I looked, but didn’t find anywhere it said.

Can you imagine being an explorer back in the day? What an exciting life. Lewis & Clark’s exploration fascinates me.

11 | February 20, 2013 7:52 pm

Dolphin wrote:

Have you read Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose? A great read.

12. Dolphin
    12 | February 20, 2013 8:00 pm

@ huckfunn:
    No I have not. Thanks for the tip! Excellent timing, will be finished with the current book by the weekend and this will be the next one! Wasn’t sure what I was going to listen to next, you just saved me some hunting!!

13 | February 20, 2013 8:05 pm

this is just hard going. wow, no internal combustion engines, no tech.

just hard assed work.

14. rain of lead
    14 | February 20, 2013 8:07 pm

man vs nature

man gets a draw

15 | February 20, 2013 8:08 pm

rain of lead wrote:

man vs nature
    man gets a draw

unless man is chuck norris

16. Dolphin
    16 | February 20, 2013 8:17 pm

When men were men!

A short story. I grew up in Oregon. Lived in both western and eastern Oregon. Took many, many road trips with the parents. Both around Oregon and across the US. One time we stopped at a place in central OR (lava beds). It had an observation area (built out of lava rock), you could walk around inside and use steps to view surrounding land marks like certain mountains, etc. The also had trails through the lava fields. We walked out on one (it seemed far at the time), maybe 2 miles. It took you to the “Oregon Trail” The ruts from the wagons were still visible in the lava beds and for miles in either direction you could see where the beds had been smoothed out for the wagons.

Can you even imagine being the first wagon train through that area?

17 | February 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Dolphin wrote:

Can you even imagine being the first wagon train through that area?

nope.

i’ve been in some pretty remote places but always had a radio to call a helicopter or someone to get me out.

those cats lived without a net.

18 | February 20, 2013 8:21 pm

we should double the investment in Freeze Dried History…there’s phone number

19 | February 20, 2013 8:24 pm

Dolphin wrote:
    Can you even imagine being the first wagon train through that area?
    nope.
    those cats lived without a net.

I require a 4 star resort, with beach…I’ll not be visiting those lava beds anytime soon

20 | February 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Dolphin wrote:

@ huckfunn:

Another good one is Nothing Like it in the World; the Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad, also by Ambrose.

21. Dolphin
    21 | February 20, 2013 8:26 pm

If I had to guess, this may have been the place.

And this is similar to the type of lava beds.

22 | February 20, 2013 8:27 pm

heysoos wrote:

i need 3 stars and a golf course, thanks.

23 | February 20, 2013 8:28 pm

the Oregon Trail, Santa Fe trail, the Bozeman, California Cutoff, the Chisholm trail, Trail of Tears…trails are the foundation of our history

24 | February 20, 2013 8:28 pm

huckfunn wrote:

well, the trans-siberian railroad is like it….its longer…worse weather…

25. Dolphin
    25 | February 20, 2013 8:29 pm

@ huckfunn:

Wonderful!! Just added that one to my wish list!

26. Dolphin
    26 | February 20, 2013 8:33 pm

@ heysoos:
    Mt. Bachelor is “right” around the corner!

27 | February 20, 2013 8:34 pm

that was another good tale from Ambrose…I read all his stuff

28 | February 20, 2013 8:35 pm

huckfunn wrote:

well, the trans-siberian railroad is like it….its longer…worse weather…

In 1938, my missionary grandfather and his entire family (including my Dad) had to leave Japanese occupied Korea. They took the Trans-Siberian Railroad all across Stalin’s Soviet Union and then continued through Warsaw, Berlin and back to England. My Dad said that he and his siblings made up rhymes about the Russian towns they went through. Omsk and Tomsk are the ones I remember from the story.

29 | February 20, 2013 8:36 pm

I still prefer snorkling to snow shoeing…I float like a manatee

30 | February 20, 2013 8:37 pm

heysoos wrote:

that was another good tale from Ambrose…I read all his stuff

Yep, I read all of Ambrose’s books and enjoyed them all. Unfortunately, just before he died, there were accusations of plagerism, inaccuracies and faulty research. Good reads, though. Nobody’s perfect.

31 | February 20, 2013 8:39 pm

@ huckfunn:
    that must have been one hell of an adventure

32 | February 20, 2013 8:40 pm

Dolphin wrote:

@ heysoos:
    Mt. Bachelor is “right” around the corner!

nice!

33 | February 20, 2013 8:42 pm

huckfunn wrote

heysoos wrote:
    that was another good tale from Ambrose…I read all his stuff

‘Citizen Soldier’ was a masterpiece, a stark reminder of just how bad ass the average American male is…the feds might take note

34 | February 20, 2013 8:44 pm

huckfunn wrote:

please tell me that they wrote this adventure down.

35. Dolphin
    35 | February 20, 2013 8:44 pm

@ huckfunn:
    Had a similar experience with “The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom

Wanted to find out more after I listened to it and some reports were skeptical of its authentication.

Still an amazing story.

36. brookly red
    36 | February 20, 2013 8:47 pm

heysoos wrote:

huckfunn wrote

heysoos wrote:
    that was another good tale from Ambrose…I read all his stuff

like they don’t? T-party hate? Watch lists? gun control? domestic drone surveillance? Uhhh I think they done took notice.

37 | February 20, 2013 8:49 pm

heysoos wrote:

I still prefer snorkling to snow shoeing…I float like a manatee

sting like a bee!

38 | February 20, 2013 8:51 pm

heysoos wrote:

And you didn’t even mention the Great Wagon Road.

39 | February 20, 2013 8:51 pm

@ brookly red:
    not sure…but the capacity for the feds to spy on the civilians is doubling or tripling every year…Big Brother is already here

40 | February 20, 2013 8:51 pm

please tell me that they wrote this adventure down.

My Grandfather was actually writing an account of some of his experiences when he died. I’ll email you the portion of it that I have. Other than that, there’s just word of mouth. My Dad’s youngest brother is the last of that generation and he’s now 85. He’s 6’5, lives on the 9th floor of 14 story condo in Pompano Beach, FL and has never taken the elevator in the 20 years that he’s lived there. I need to check with him on some of this before he leaves the room.

41 | February 20, 2013 8:53 pm

heysoos wrote:
    I still prefer snorkling to snow shoeing…I float like a manatee

sting like a bee!

I’m old…the fight has passed me by…except for the Alamo, if it comes to that, I’ll be there

42 | February 20, 2013 8:53 pm

It is snowing this afternoon/evening in Phoenix and surrounding burbs.

Payson is totally snowed in. School was cancelled.
    Flagstaff and Prescott are going to get some serious snow as well.

Al Gore must be somewhere in the area…

43 | February 20, 2013 8:54 pm

@ The Osprey:
    a lot of trails…every one means something

44 | February 20, 2013 8:55 pm

huckfunn wrote:

please tell me that they wrote this adventure down.

get it on audio. now

or you will never forgive yourself

45 | February 20, 2013 8:58 pm

heysoos wrote:

that goes without saying, until you get alzheimers…then you wont remember the alamo

46 | February 20, 2013 8:58 pm

I’ve got 25 years of my kids on tape…and now grandkids…wowzer how times have changed…history at your fingertips

47. Dolphin
    47 | February 20, 2013 9:03 pm

@ huckfunn:
    I would love to read it also if you are willing to share.

I so agree. Someday our history will be relevant again. It takes those of us willing to capture it.

48 | February 20, 2013 9:06 pm

I’m just not good with paperwork, channels and hoops…I don’t like appointments…I don’t like interviews or forms, or phone calls, I want to beat up the people looking at me, I want to be left alone, I have fed the feds more than it deserves and I never see anything good from the robbery…I don’t want anything to do with the feds…should I peel off my fingerprints?…I pay, so why can’t these assholes leave me alone?

49. Dolphin
    49 | February 20, 2013 9:07 pm

@ heysoos:
    And important lesson to be learned in each of them.

Night all. Got to get some dinner and hit the sack.

50 | February 20, 2013 9:14 pm

I can’t take it…so I retreat, like this

51 | February 20, 2013 9:17 pm

heysoos wrote:

where we have a few photos of our youth, they have the whole thing in digital.

52 | February 20, 2013 9:18 pm

Dolphin wrote:

i did an audio history of korean war vets locally for part of my secondary degree here.

handed it over to the govt for archive.

53 | February 20, 2013 9:18 pm

@ Dolphin:
    Check yer mail.

54 | February 20, 2013 9:19 pm

where we have a few photos of our youth, they have the whole thing in digital.

One thing people forget about, though, is that you have to periodically update those digital records, or they’ll become useless.

Not many people have the ability to use 5 1/4″ floppies or digital tapes anymore, after all.

55 | February 20, 2013 9:23 pm

heysoos wrote:

where we have a few photos of our youth, they have the whole thing in digital.

we just didn’t think, and a lot is gone…I’m okay with me and my kin, but I had money for cameras and the trimmings…looking back, it’s not short of a miracle the way things turned

56 | February 20, 2013 9:44 pm

got it

57 | February 20, 2013 9:44 pm

truth.

i just moved all ours to a terrabyte usb drive.

58 | February 20, 2013 9:45 pm

man up…

59 | February 20, 2013 9:51 pm

now to get skype set up on g’ma’s tablet and puti’s tablet…

60 | February 20, 2013 9:52 pm

got it

The pages were out of order and I tried to fix them. You’ll end up with an extra 14 or 17 pages at the end.

61 | February 20, 2013 9:55 pm

When I moved up from Arifjan to Buehring last year, I started going through the cabinets in the office. There were two Sony digital cameras in there that used 3 1/2″ floppies to record on.

Utterly useless, but still on the hand receipt at over $800 apiece.

62 | February 20, 2013 10:00 pm

now to get skype set up on g’ma’s tablet and puti’s tablet…

that was easy.

63 | February 20, 2013 10:01 pm

huckfunn wrote:

got it

a fun read

64 | February 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Utterly useless, but still on the hand receipt at over $800 apiece.

my bil still works on tape drive faa air traffic systems.

65. brookly red
    65 | February 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Utterly useless, but still on the hand receipt at over $800 apiece.

useless? did you check what is on them?

66 | February 20, 2013 10:10 pm

a fun read

Trip to Manchuria on ponies and a raft ride down the Yalu river in about 1920. Real stuff.

67 | February 20, 2013 10:11 pm

huckfunn wrote:

a fun read

i cant wait to print this stuff out!

68 | February 20, 2013 10:17 pm

@ brookly red:

useless? did you check what is on them?

I might have if I’d had a 3 1/2″ drive anywhere.

69 | February 20, 2013 10:21 pm

@ brookly red:
    useless? did you check what is on them?
    I might have if I’d had a 3 1/2″ drive anywhere.

coulda been a 5 1/4.

70 | February 20, 2013 10:32 pm

coulda been a 5 1/4.

True. Although that would be kind of big for a digital camera.

Pictures you could store on one would be awfully low resolution, too.

71 | February 20, 2013 10:33 pm

I remember going through the stockroom when I took over my Radio Shack and finding a package of 8″ floppies. Still sealed.

72 | February 20, 2013 11:02 pm

Serious snow coming down.

Leia needs 4WD…