Essential VDH: Liberal grandees attack the rich while enjoying their lifestyle

by Speranza ( 56 Comments › )
Filed under Democratic Party, Politics, Progressives, taxation at February 21st, 2013 - 12:00 pm

This fine article amplifies why I have written that it is foolish for Republicans to fall on their swords to protect millionaires, many of whom are progressives.  I am sad to see that The New Republic (a liberal but more of an old fashioned liberal magazine and when Martin Peretz was the Editor, a very pro Israel anti-Totalitarian magazine) was sold to a hard core leftist.

by Victor Davis Hanson

In his first term, President Obama was criticized for trash-talking the 1-percenters while enjoying the aristocracy of Martha’s Vineyard and the nation’s most exclusive golf courses.

Obama never quite squared his accusations that “millionaires and billionaires” had not paid their fair share with his own obvious enjoyment of the perks of “corporate jet owners,” “fat cat bankers,” and Las Vegas junketeers.

Now, that paradox has continued right off the bat in the second term. In the State of the Union, Obama once more went after “the few” and “the wealthiest and the most powerful,” whom he blasted as the “well-off and the well-connected” and the “billionaires with high-powered accountants.”

Like clockwork, the president then jetted to West Palm Beach for yet another golfing vacation at one of the nation’s priciest courses, replete with lessons from a $1,000-an-hour golf pro to improve the presidential putting.

[……..] Meanwhile, below the stratosphere, unemployment rose to 7.9 percent for January — the 49th consecutive month it has been 7.8 percent or higher. The economy shrank in the last quarter of 2012, gas is back to almost $4 a gallon, and the government continues to borrow almost $4 billion a day.

Today, lots of liberal grandees attack the rich and yet do their best to act and live just like them.

Take financial speculator and leftist billionaire George Soros, who is back in the news. Soros is able to fund several progressive think tanks that go after the 1 percent because he is the most successful financial buccaneer of the age — notorious as “the man who broke the Bank of England” and who was convicted of insider trading in France. [……..] That made Soros $1.2 billion in just three months — enough capitalist lucre to keep funding Media Matters and other attack-dog progressive groups for years to come.

Facebook co-founder and Obama campaign organizer Chris Hughes just bought The New Republic and has rebranded the magazine as an unapologetic progressive megaphone.

How odd that hip Facebook just confessed that it paid no federal or California state income taxes for 2012 on its $1.1 billion in pre-tax profits from its U.S. operations alone. Odder still, Facebook will probably receive a federal-tax refund of about $429 million.  [……..]

Perhaps treasury secretary-designate Jack Lew should have a look at Facebook’s tax contortions. He should be familiar with the big-money paper trail, given that Lew himself took a nearly $1 million bonus from Citigroup after it had received billions of dollars in federal funds to cover its gargantuan losses.

Lew, like his tax-dodging predecessor, Timothy Geithner, has a propensity for doing just the opposite of what the president used to preach against.  [……]

Obama also derided dubious Cayman Islands tax shelters. Yet he apparently forgot to tell that to Lew, who invested in a fund registered to the same Potemkin Cayman Islands building that Obama had used as a campaign prop to bash the 1-percenters.

One of the nation’s best-known class warriors is former U.S. representative Jesse Jackson Jr. of Chicago, who for years has damned the wealthy for their ill-gotten gains. He is expected to plead guilty to fraud charges after he and his wife allegedly siphoned off $750,000 from their campaign accounts to pay for an assortment of 1-percenter extravagances such as a $43,000 Rolex watch.

Today’s leftists like the high life as much as their demonized conservative rivals do. The more they damn the bad “millionaires and billionaires,” apparently the less guilt they feel about living it up in Palm Beach or Aspen — paying no taxes, offshoring their profits, or wearing Rolex watches.

The vast growth of the federal government has splashed so much big money around New York and Washington that even muckraking progressives can’t resist. Loud redistributionist rhetoric offers the necessary vaccination shot that makes privileged leftists immune from any criticism — or guilt — over indulging in tax avoidance, billion-dollar speculation, or aristocratic tastes.

George Orwell long ago noticed the same thing: In “Animal Farm” the pig elite loudly damned reactionary humans even as they sought to copy them by walking on two legs.

Read the rest – Gilded Class Warriors

Tags: , ,

Comments

56 Responses to “Essential VDH: Liberal grandees attack the rich while enjoying their lifestyle”

1 | February 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Has Warren Buffet paid the $1 billion in back taxes that he owes the IRS yet?

Didn’t think so…

2. 2 | February 21, 2013 12:12 pm

The Republicans should become defenders of the Middle Glass against the Globalist Progressive Rich. But that will not happen.

3. 3 | February 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Has Warren Buffet paid the $1 billion in back taxes that he owes the IRS yet?
    Didn’t think so…

That is why he is calling for higher taxes. He will not pay for it.

4. 4 | February 21, 2013 12:41 pm

It’s easy to call for more taxes when you know you won’t have to pay. That is why everybody should have to pay taxes. The 47% that don’t pay taxes anyway don’t see anything wrong with raising taxes on teh ebil Rich. They don’t realize (or probably care) that the evil “rich” are really just the upper middle class. Too many of them go to places like Obama’s Church where they “disavow” “Middle-Classedness” in favor of poverty pimps who are, by the way, getting rich off their constituents’ misery.

5. 5 | February 21, 2013 12:53 pm

As much as I hate the idea, maybe its time for VAT tax. Yeah things will get more expensive, but everyone will pay.

Republicans if they had any balls should propose an Entertainment industry tax. That will hurt Rich Dems in their pockets. But we are talking about a party that has no spine and is disorganized.

Hey you saw my headline about Al-Qaeda ambushing the Hezzies? :lol:

6. 6 | February 21, 2013 12:57 pm

Saw it. Dead Hezzies == good. If there were only some way for them both to lose. Actually, that is looking to be the outcome of the Syrian Civil War. It’ll be another failed State along with Libya, Somolia, and possibly Egypt.

7. 7 | February 21, 2013 12:57 pm

Again with the Rolex watches? I wear a Rolex – bought it 31 years ago. And I assure you, I am far from rich, then or now.

Don’t much care for the common trash talk about Subarus, either. Not my fault if urban hipsters drive them. They’re good all-weather cars you feel safe putting your wife and daughters in.

8. 8 | February 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Yeah Syria is going to break up probably. Then AQ will launch their Jihad against the Hezzies.

Good times. I love nothing better than seeing the Muzz self destruct.

9 | February 21, 2013 1:12 pm

@ Mike C.:

Subies are great. I had a Forester as a rental car in Utah a few years back. Took it up a mountain road outside SLC, it was a blast to drive. That frumpy looking lesbo-mobile handled like a rally car! :lol:

10. Buffalobob
    10 | February 21, 2013 1:14 pm

Not paying taxes is one thing, collecting money by scamming the taxpayers is level of fraud only convicts in prison can dream up. Ref the story published this past week detailing imprisoned convicts across the country collecting mega millions in unemployment benefits. Couple that with incompetent and lazy enabling non-fireable government workers.

11 | February 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Mike C. wrote:

Again with the Rolex watches? I wear a Rolex — bought it 31 years ago. And I assure you, I am far from rich, then or now.

Still kicking myself for passing up a 1930s stainless-steel Oyster which my watchmaker had a few years ago for about $300.

12 | February 21, 2013 1:24 pm

@ Mike C.:

Apple products get trash talked as stereotype lib stuff as well, even though Bill and Melinda Gates donate just as much, if not more money to liberal causes than Steve Jobs did. But Jobs was a fashion plate hipster who lived in the Bay Area.

Some guy named Rush Limbaugh is one of the biggest Mac/iPhone/iPad fans in the nation, but that doesn’t seen to faze some of the dorks on Free Republic who want to characterize all Apple users as libs.

13 | February 21, 2013 1:46 pm

Someone needs to send this to Obama:

Oh My: UN Climate Change Chief Admits No Global Warming Over Last 17 Years…

THE UN’s climate change chief, Rajendra Pachauri, has acknowledged a 17-year pause in global temperature rises, confirmed recently by Britain’s Met Office, but said it would need to last “30 to 40 years at least” to break the long-term global warming trend.

Dr Pachauri, the chairman of the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, said that open discussion about controversial science and politically incorrect views was an essential part of tackling climate change.

I notice that he didn’t attempt to explain this “17 year pause,” which clearly doesn’t fit into their bogus computer models.

We’re just supposed to trust him. He works for the UN, after all.

14. 14 | February 21, 2013 1:48 pm

Facts do not matter to these clowns.

15. 15 | February 21, 2013 1:48 pm

@ The Osprey:

Of course, since CHINA is the assemblage point of Apple products and they’ve been entertaining themselves stealing our trade and military secrets by hacking our computers, I imagine Apple is going to be quite shocked when the Chinese offer their version of the iPhone in the coming months. No doubt they have had the factory give them an iPad, iPhone, iMac, etc. and even now have their slave laborers hard at work at patent infringement.

I don’t knew where Samsung is assembled – I was going to assume Japan or Korea.

Looking at my iPhone 4S, my first thought was “well, this is the last Apple product I’ll be buying,” since I’m going to work very very hard on avoiding the purchase of anything made in China. Not going to be easy though. I mean, if we’re sitting waiting for Obama and Lockjaw the SoS to say anything about the hacking, we’ll die sitting in the chair, covered with cobwebs.

16 | February 21, 2013 1:50 pm

The assault on the Constitution continues:

Obama Considers Intervening In California’s Prop 8 Gay Marriage Case…

17. 17 | February 21, 2013 1:51 pm

He didn’t explain it because there is no even remotely plausible explanation. Thermodynamics is a pretty well sussed-out topic. Not to say it’s “settled science”, because there is no such thing.

18 | February 21, 2013 1:52 pm

@ Carolina Girl:

They have more important things to worry about, like overturning the will of the people in California, or fighting non-existent “global warming.”

19 | February 21, 2013 1:54 pm

@ Mike C.:

Not to say it’s “settled science”, because there is no such thing.

Sure there is…it’s “settled” as soon as there’s a “consensus.”

20. 20 | February 21, 2013 1:57 pm

@ Carolina Girl:

The Chinese laugh at us and view us as suckers.

21. 21 | February 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Science expert, Charles Johnson has said so!

22 | February 21, 2013 1:58 pm

@ Carolina Girl:
    The Chinese laugh at us and view us as suckers.

Can’t say that I blame them…

23. 23 | February 21, 2013 1:59 pm

Me either, they do what they have to in their interest. We are the ones concerned about global interests.

24. 24 | February 21, 2013 2:01 pm

I just commented on that over at Weasel Zippers — the federal government has no effing STANDING to intervene in matters of marriage – it is one of the enumerated powers of the states.

And furthermore, the trial of Prop 8 was tainted at the district court level because the judge in the case, Vaughan Walker, was gay and had an interest in the outcome. This alone should call for reversal of his verdict.

Walker was a piece of work – he actually entertained motions for requiring Prop 8 supporters to be “outed” and wanted cameras in the courtroom, which, in a rare moment of sanity, the Circuit Court slapped down. Vaughan wanted to become a national star over this.

25. 25 | February 21, 2013 2:05 pm

I imagine Oblahblah will try the same tactics that he used in Obamacare – attempts to intimidate the justices, letting his attack dogs in the MSM steno pool call them homophobic and bigoted if they don’t go along with re-defining marriage.

However, one thing I would love particular to the Prop 8 case is for them to bitch slap Walker for staying on the case when he had a vested interest in and stood to gain advantage in the outcome.

26. 26 | February 21, 2013 2:22 pm

@ Carolina Girl:

Rove vs. Wade all over again. If the Supreme Court rules on this, we can expect 40 years about hearing about this decision.

27 | February 21, 2013 2:27 pm

Don’t go to war over millionaires!

28 | February 21, 2013 2:29 pm

@ Carolina Girl:

I commented on this at some length over at WZ too. Oddly enough, the thread seems to have suddenly vanished. If it reappears, I will post the same comment here.

29 | February 21, 2013 2:30 pm

Science expert, Charles Johnson has said so!

Sahib Johnson is all wise and all knowing.

30. 30 | February 21, 2013 2:31 pm

@ Speranza:

The Republicans sabotage over Boehner’s plan B was politically the dumbest ever. Obama got an even better deal.

31 | February 21, 2013 2:33 pm

@ Speranza:

Oh I agree.

32. 32 | February 21, 2013 2:35 pm

@ Speranza:

For the life of me I will never understand why Republicans fight on political hills not worth doing so. The Democrats do not do that. They let go of an issue and come back to it when its political plausible.

33. Tanker
    33 | February 21, 2013 2:39 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

What’s up with PJM, they seem to have awaken a sleeping shark? Comments have moved to a Facebook feel which I refuse to be part of!

34. 34 | February 21, 2013 2:40 pm

@ Tanker:

They have gone to a register based system. A few places are doing that.

35 | February 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Tanker wrote:

It was a complete surprise—to me, anyway, and apparently to a lot of other people. It took me half a day or so to actually manage to get registered to be able to comment; some software glitch or other.

I have to say that I am NOT a fan of the new format—worse, however, is that in the changeover process ALL the past comments were disappeared. I was in the middle of some fairly involved discussions, one about religion, the other about copyright, and all the comments in those discussions vanished. All the comments to my posts vanished, too—indeed, for a brief hideous moment all of my stuff in the archives disappeared, though they are back again now.

I have no idea what prompted this switch, nor who is responsible; but I think it foolish to trample on readers’ loyalty by removing the comments, no matter what benefit a new format is supposed to bring. Mad King Yertle learned the hard way that it is the commenters that make the site; one might have thought that others would have learned by his inadvertent example.

36. 36 | February 21, 2013 2:47 pm

I am not a fan of facebook commenting.

37. 37 | February 21, 2013 2:48 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

I agree, it was a dumb move.

38. brookly red
    38 | February 21, 2013 2:49 pm

I am not a fan of facebook commenting.

that’s good cause I don’t do FB :)

39. Tanker
    39 | February 21, 2013 2:50 pm

@ Tanker:
    They have gone to a register based system. A few places are doing that.

I can live with a register system. It’s the comment format that’s one I just can’t deal with. I hate Facebook! I know it puts me in that group that just doesn’t get into the new media that’s required to move ahead in this day and time. Oh well, I am who I am!

Probably has to do with the evil money thingy!

40. brookly red
    40 | February 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Tanker wrote:

@ Tanker:
    They have gone to a register based system. A few places are doing that.

Probably has to do with the evil money thingy!

I am with you… no FB for me EVAH

41 | February 21, 2013 2:53 pm

Tanker wrote:

Probably has to do with the evil money thingy!

I’ve got no problem with people earning money off their sites. I just don’t see how you’re going to do it if you slap your participants in the face by wiping out their comments.

42. Tanker
    42 | February 21, 2013 2:54 pm

I am not a fan of facebook commenting.

Really glad to hear, as I’m not a really active commenter hear (more than anywhere else) or anywhere (reader mainly), I’d hate to have to give up my desire to comment here as well!

43. 43 | February 21, 2013 2:54 pm

@ Tanker:

I am not a fan of Facebook nor of using it for political commentary.

44. 44 | February 21, 2013 2:54 pm

@ Tanker:

That is NOT happening here.

45. Tanker
    45 | February 21, 2013 2:56 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

Tanker wrote:
    Probably has to do with the evil money thingy!

I actually liked reading comments there, although there was some really lengthy one.

46 | February 21, 2013 3:03 pm

I am not a fan of Facebook nor of using it for political commentary.

Facebook is one of the great destroyers of the concept of personal privacy today. I view them with extreme wariness.

I also consider it pernicious to see that we are increasingly relying on people with the knowledge, judgment, and maturity of college freshmen in all areas of life.

47. 47 | February 21, 2013 3:07 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

The Obama team used Facebook to get their voters out.

48. brookly red
    48 | February 21, 2013 3:08 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

I am not a fan of Facebook nor of using it for political commentary.

I recently had to explain to someone that her social media presence was kinda like dressing in public… yeah it is your right, but then also accept the unwanted attention that comes with it.

49 | February 21, 2013 3:09 pm

The Obama team used Facebook to get their voters out.

…and? The point?

A campaign using something like Facebook as a tool is understandable, and an intelligent use of campaign resources. Using Facebook as a basis for the type of political commentary that goes on here is, in my opinion, a bad idea.

50. brookly red
    50 | February 21, 2013 3:10 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

The Obama team used Facebook to get their voters out.

well it’s legal… some of their other tactics not so much.

51 | February 21, 2013 3:13 pm

@ brookly red:

And the same people who see nothing wrong with posting pretty much every detail of their daily lives online are worried about the government spying on them.

52 | February 21, 2013 3:14 pm

BTW: My companion comment to Carolina Girl’s above, on Obama intervening in the DOMA case, appears in the next thread.

53. brookly red
    53 | February 21, 2013 3:14 pm

@ brookly red:

Ironic that Roe v Wade was based on privacy…

54 | February 21, 2013 3:30 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

You grumpy old Walt “Get off my lawn” Kowalski types are turning the yoof off of the Republican Party! :lol:

55. 55 | February 21, 2013 4:08 pm

@ The Osprey:

Eff ‘em.

56. Canoe Convoy
    56 | February 21, 2013 8:07 pm

It is this reason why I favor a Flat Tax — everyone pays, no matter what the total amount happens to be. Same with a sales tax — everyone pays.