The Palooka Party

by Flyovercountry ( 74 Comments › )
Filed under Uncategorized at February 21st, 2013 - 7:00 pm

Political Cartoons by Eric Allie

Palooka, a definition – Prize fighter who agrees to throw fights for the short term easy payoffs, bum, loser.

I had an epiphany today, or more specifically, I’ve had a decades long epiphany brought into that most acute clarity that can only occur when an outside influence accidentally refocuses the lens through which life is viewed. When reading an article on Governor Rick Scott’s latest attempt at pandering to the non existent world of moderates, ie., capitulating on the Medicaid and Medicare expansion provision of the Obamacare monstrosity, which was actually struck down by the Supreme Court, an insightful fellow who travels the internet under the moniker, Buzzsawmonkey, wrote the following.

I’m tired of the Palooka Party always taking a dive for the guaranteed short money.

There it is, the reason why Republicans have lost the popular vote in 5 of the last 6 Presidential elections. They are the Palooka Party. Rick Scott was not the only recently elected Republican Governor to break a specific promise to his voters with this particular action. Taking the same action were Governors, Kasich of Ohio, Dalrymple of North Dakota, Martinez of New Mexico, and Sandoval of Nevada. I wish to be wrong here, but feel certain that more will follow. Bear in mind that this all plays out simultaneously as almost every Democrat Senator, Representative, and cheer leader who supported this monstrosity of a nation killing law are backing away from responsibility for its passage just as fast as their crooked little legs will carry them. So, for those of you reffing this fight at home, the people who passed this steaming pile of legislation are trapped against the ropes by its self destruction. Fear not oh fans representing the political left. Five supposedly conservative Republican Governors have agreed to take that political dive in order to receive the short end money which they believe to be reelection during their next campaign. They’ll happily take the blame for this steaming pile of legislation if it means survival past 2014.

This is not the first time we’ve faced this with our chosen candidates though, is it? The words, “gang of fourteen,” still brings a bad taste to my mouth. Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe routinely voted with the Democrats in every crucial vote with clear partisan divisions throughout their entire careers. It just so happens that for all of those little meaningless votes, they went with the caucus leaders so as to boast a high percentage of voting with their party. John Boehner’s fumblings during his tenure as House Speaker are already the stuff of legend. Ours is the Palooka Party, and we’re getting tired of this universal truth. It isn’t just Obamacare’s implementation, Bush’s judicial nominees being filibustered, the constant deals that give us massive spending increases today for the always promised but never delivered future cuts ten years from now that anger us. The simple fact that we as Republican voters hold pretty simple criteria when deciding for whom we will vote. We, meaning most of us, choose to support candidates who will deliver us smaller government, reducing the regulatory environment, lower taxation rates, reduced government largess, uphold a strict interpretation of our Constitution, (Second, Ninth, and Tenth Amendments included,) and a foreign policy that promises to project American Strength and exceptionalism rather than weakness and mediocrity. When these Republican politicians courted our votes as candidates, they all promised, without fail to uphold those very principles. The anger is that as soon as the short term money becomes available, the dive is taken, without pretense and seemingly without exception.

As angering as that is, it is worse when victory is at hand. I’m not talking specifically about the Romney dive which happened shortly after the first debate during the last election. I’m not even specifically thinking of the McCain led gang of fourteen that came up with that weak compromise that saw a fight in the Senate which was clearly going to be won by Republicans negotiated into a stunning defeat over the Bush judicial nominations. It is about all of these things. These five Palooka governors have taken the certain implosion of the Obamacare law, and rejuvenated the viability of something America would be much better served in allowing to die the horrible death it deserves. The problem is, this is not an isolated incident in Republican politics, but something that we have come to expect as inevitable. We are the Palooka Party, plain and simple. No matter how many times these guys promise us that they get it, and they’re going to be different some how, the dive is what we get.

After elections recently, we’ve seen increasing amounts of hand wringing from the establishment of the GOP. Soul searching as to why voters are increasingly turning their noses at the party which professes to be advocates for smaller government. Reasons are hashed out on Sunday talk shows, fingers are pointed, and truthfully speaking, none of them has the slightest clue. The reason is really quite simple. After watching this game play out for the better part of three decades now, we people who make up the Republican base are starting to get the clue, the dive is eminent. We are tired of pulling defeat from the jaws of victory, tired of Palookas taking our money and diving, tired of voting for what is promised, and handed something else entirely.

Take a good look at the cartoon above. Realize that it may be the single most accurate piece of journalism seen this decade, and then repeat to yourself three times aloud. We lost an election to that. Wring your hands all you want Palookas, the answer is not in slick messaging, pandering to the moderates, or even outreach to specifically targeted interest groups. The answer is in your mirror. Stop being Palookas, and start sticking to the principles you’ve espoused. The only thing you’ve not tried yet, imagine that.

Cross Posted from Musings of a Mad Conservative.

Comments

74 Responses to “The Palooka Party”

1. brookly red
    1 | February 21, 2013 7:19 pm

it is all a pack of lies lets just burn it down.

2 | February 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Mark Levin just read a good part of this Forbes article on his radio show, which is on a similar topic:

As Country Club Republicans Link Up With The Democratic Ruling Class, Millions Of Voters Are Orphaned

It’s long, but worth reading.

3 | February 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Raging Bull shit…gotta beat the MSM first, and that’s up to the individual voter

4 | February 21, 2013 7:49 pm

I’d bet there is an algorithm that can prove the theory that if 47% of voters do not pay taxes, liberals will win every election…we need to cut the dole-ites out of the equation…dead beats are killing our representative democracy

5 | February 21, 2013 7:53 pm

heysoos wrote:

EVERYONE who pays taxes should be allowed the vore. if you do not. no vote for you.

taxation WITH representation.

6 | February 21, 2013 7:53 pm

if your living expenses are given to you by the feds, you cannot vote….pretty simple

7 | February 21, 2013 7:55 pm

agreed…produce SOMETHING besides babies I gotta feed

8 | February 21, 2013 7:59 pm

@ heysoos:
    @ heysoos:

PREACH IT!

9 | February 21, 2013 8:05 pm

if I were King (and I should be)…I’d go into Detroit and stand in the middle of the street and proclaim…
    “I’ll pay anybody $10k to tear down this house, and rip up the surface to prepare for planting…I suggest dividing up into groups, find a leader, work together and you’ll make some good money…so go figure it out and get back with me”

10 | February 21, 2013 8:11 pm

@ heysoos:

dude, in was in detroit last year.

i was sacred. if you knew me to look at me you would say that i should never be scared. i was shocked and scared to the bone.

11. Canoe Convoy
    11 | February 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Yes !! I say that, even as someone who has taken some funds from welfare in the past — you don’t pay taxes, then no vote for you! One should not be able to vote more $$$ for one’s handout !

12. 12 | February 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Flyover,
    This is one of your best threads. You wrote our frustration in this post.

Bravo and Kudos!

13. 13 | February 21, 2013 8:13 pm

I’m starting to like a VAT tax. It will force everyone to pay.

14. 14 | February 21, 2013 8:14 pm

That article is spot on. You see the frustration here on a daily basis.

15 | February 21, 2013 8:19 pm

@ heysoos:
    dude, in was in detroit last year.

Detroit means something to me, having grown up a couple hours from there…I’ve seen it’s entire demise, I have kin over there…simply unbelievable…whole blocks are relics of the ’67 riots

16 | February 21, 2013 8:21 pm

I’m starting to like a VAT tax. It will force everyone to pay.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

vat is HIDEOUS!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

17. brookly red
    17 | February 21, 2013 8:21 pm

@ heysoos:

dude, in was in detroit last year.

what scared you… the fact that you saw the future?

18 | February 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Canoe Convoy wrote:

my dad inlaw had to take welfare when he got here from russia. he paid it back.

paid it back.

19 | February 21, 2013 8:22 pm

I’m starting to like a VAT tax. It will force everyone to pay.

The problem is that they’d add it on top of the existing income tax.

And it would undoubtedly include some sort of rebate for low income people, so no, they ultimately wouldn’t pay anything.

20 | February 21, 2013 8:23 pm

That article is spot on. You see the frustration here on a daily basis.

yeah..I want to express my deepest gratitude to the big dogs that run this place and put up all the posts…it’s a hell of a thing and if I were rich I’d send you all to Jamaica for as long as you want…so thank you

21. brookly red
    21 | February 21, 2013 8:24 pm

I’m starting to like a VAT tax. It will force everyone to pay.

The problem is that they’d add it on top of the existing income tax.

the problem is they spend too fucking much and if they taxed us at 300% it would still not be enough.

22 | February 21, 2013 8:24 pm

@ heysoos:

whole blocks are relics of the ’67 riots

Give them time…it’s only been 45 years, after all.

23 | February 21, 2013 8:24 pm

personal liberty

smaller govt

state’s rights.

period.

24 | February 21, 2013 8:25 pm

brookly red wrote:

@ heysoos:
    dude, in was in detroit last year.

what scared you… the fact that you saw the future?

dude, this was the one time i wished i was armed.

messed up.

25 | February 21, 2013 8:25 pm

my dad inlaw had to take welfare when he got here from russia. he paid it back.

paid it back.

I’ll bet that confused the hell out of whatever bureacrat he tried to give the check to.

26 | February 21, 2013 8:29 pm

Detroit is a very spooky place…ghosts and bad mojo everywhere…I compare it to East St Louis…urban hell

27. 27 | February 21, 2013 8:32 pm

Good point, they would not make everyone share the burden.

28. 28 | February 21, 2013 8:34 pm

@ heysoos:

No problem, we just speak our minds and people can disagree. Everyone here hates the current Regime, some of just disagree how to get rid of the Progressive Machine. Unfortunately the Left has a 100 year start.

29 | February 21, 2013 8:34 pm

my dad inlaw had to take welfare when he got here from russia. he paid it back.
    paid it back.

it did. he’s an orthodox priest and worked at green giant in NJ. he took welfare/foodstamps for 3 months. after he he got the gig at gg, every month he made a check to the treasury until it was all paid back. took him one year.

30. 30 | February 21, 2013 8:35 pm

I’m sorry for making that ignorant economic idea. I should know better. I was just coming up with an idea to make everyone pay. That does not just include low income people. Tax Cheats like Buffet should pay as well.

31 | February 21, 2013 8:35 pm

heysoos wrote:

east st louis is messed up too. phillie is bad too. one drive into penn or temple will curl your toes.

32 | February 21, 2013 8:36 pm

I’ll bet they didn’t even have a form for that.

33 | February 21, 2013 8:36 pm

sales tax works much better than vat. vat is awful.

34 | February 21, 2013 8:36 pm

West Memphis

35 | February 21, 2013 8:38 pm

I’ll bet they didn’t even have a form for that.

he sent the check, they cashed it

36 | February 21, 2013 8:38 pm

sash is jammin to some club.

37. 37 | February 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Cool! :-)

38 | February 21, 2013 8:43 pm

West Memphis

never been.

phillie is bad enough for me.

39 | February 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Obama Say He “Better Keep His Day Job” After Golfing With Tiger Woods…

He has a day job?

40 | February 21, 2013 8:46 pm

It’s in Arkansas, directly across the river.

Reminded me of the scene in the first National Lampoon’s Vacation movie where they got lost in the ‘hood.

41 | February 21, 2013 8:46 pm

Cool!

kantik

42 | February 21, 2013 8:47 pm

Cool!

kantik

might need some africa bambaattaa here shortly.

43 | February 21, 2013 8:48 pm

It’s in Arkansas, directly across the river.

dude, me and mrs coldwarrior in a miata in camden at 3am satruday morning.

yeah.

44 | February 21, 2013 8:50 pm

bambaattaa and kraftwerk…yeah funk.

45 | February 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Heh…Jesse Watters caught up with Obama’s illegal alien uncle.

He called the cops, rather than talk to him.

Sounds like he’s been briefed well.

46. 46 | February 21, 2013 8:54 pm

I’ve been telling everyone this here for years now. Perhaps now you will discover the sense to join The Stout Hemp Rope Party.

47. 47 | February 21, 2013 8:55 pm

sash is jammin to some club.

I guess it beats some of the other crap she’s been listening to lately… :twisted:

48. Dolphin
    48 | February 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Drive by/ot post. Some may remember me trying to find a home for my neighbors dog. She is a German shepherd/black lab mix. The neighbor was in poor health and was going to turn Lucy over to spca. This is his post today on the forum she was adopted out to with my help. I am so happy I could bust.

Lucy

As some of you know I adopted a dog from here last year. Figured Id give yall an update and do a little bragging. When I first got Lucy she almost made me go crazy…… hyper, jumping on you all the time, didnt have one window that didnt have paw marks on the house. She had what seemed like a ton of bottled up energy, the darn dog wouldnt slow down. Finally after a few months and extensive catch games she slowly but shurely started to calm down. No paw marks on the windows in 4 months.She has put on some weight and her bald spots in her coat have all filled in. She is quite a pretty dog.

Well I live kinda out in the country on a road where everyone has a cpl acres or more. We all know each other, my neighbor next door is retired and we watch out for each other. In 6yrs we havent had any issues out there.

Lucy was going crazy at 3 am this morning. I wake up and go on the front porch to get her to calm down so she doesnt wake my kiddo. At that time I notice a car parked down the road a bit. I holler at Lucy and about that time 2 guys run from my neighbor across the streets vehicles, jump their gate and haul tail out of there. Sherrif was there in less than 5 minutes. Nothing was stolen they did manage to get 1 of their trucks unlocked but seems Lucy did her job. My neighbor next door also witnessed the whole thing as she was heading out to see what Lucy was going crazy over. They were lucky to have vacated the area in a hurry or im sure one of my trigger happy neighbors would have done a number on them.

I am eternally grateful to the guy that took Lucy and so happy that Lucy has a forever home and is doing good.

49 | February 21, 2013 8:56 pm

i am all in SHRP!

solidarity reg!

50 | February 21, 2013 9:01 pm

I prefer the M852 party

51 | February 21, 2013 9:03 pm

doriangrey wrote:

sash is jammin to some club.

I guess it beats some of the other crap she’s been listening to lately…

i cant get some rock star off of her tablet.

52. 52 | February 21, 2013 9:10 pm

If firearms and ammunition sales are any indication, then a large percentage of American citizen recognize that America is headed for a violent bloody civil war. It is inevitable because the self anointed political aristocracy both GOP and Dem no longer believe in or practice the Constitutional republican principals laid down in our Constitution. Instead they believe themselves to be wise benevolent aristocrats who govern over imbeciles to stupid to make the right decision regarding their own lives.

53. 53 | February 21, 2013 9:11 pm

doriangrey wrote:
    sash is jammin to some club.
    I guess it beats some of the other crap she’s been listening to lately…

i cant get some rock star off of her tablet.

The dirty bastard… :twisted: Bet he hasn’t taken a shower or gotten a haircut all year… :razz:

54 | February 21, 2013 9:18 pm

rockstars.

55 | February 21, 2013 9:19 pm

man, if i have to get into my stash its gonna be a bad time.

bad.

56. 56 | February 21, 2013 9:19 pm

rockstars.

There ought to be a law against being a Rock Star…. or something… :twisted:

57 | February 21, 2013 9:25 pm

doriangrey wrote:

rockstars.

There ought to be a law against being a Rock Star…. or something…

yeah.

58 | February 21, 2013 9:28 pm

rock stars….
    or how did they do that?

59. 59 | February 21, 2013 9:30 pm

There should be a law allowing the use of Industrial Hemp. It makes for good clothes and awesome rope! :evil:

60. 60 | February 21, 2013 9:31 pm

there should be allowing not allowing Obese washed up Jazz Guitarists running blogs.

61. 61 | February 21, 2013 9:33 pm

doriangrey wrote:

They are the Neo-Feudal elite.

62 | February 21, 2013 9:35 pm

Let’s not forget the scene from “On the Waterfront.”

Rod Steiger as Karl Rove, and Marlon Brando as the Conservative Voter.

63. 63 | February 21, 2013 9:50 pm

heysoos wrote:

taxation WITH representation.
    CW you hit exactly the formula that David Weber used in his “Honor Harrington Universe”. Quoting a character, “To vote in the Kingdom of Manticore you simply had to prove that you paid in one cent more than you received in largess. For example any retirement pay you received from the Government did not count as you paid taxes on it. The negative count was only that which you received for FREE!”

Sounds like a winner to me! :)

64 | February 21, 2013 9:56 pm

@ AZOlddog:

i’m all for it.

65 | February 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Winners never cheat.
    Cheaters never win.

66 | February 21, 2013 10:08 pm

darkwords wrote:

Winners never cheat.
    Cheaters never win.

or words to that effect.

67. 67 | February 21, 2013 10:11 pm

@ AZOlddog:
    i’m all for it.

I was all for it in the early 60s when I read it the same place Weber admits he stole it from. Robert Anson Heinlein, who else!

68 | February 21, 2013 10:19 pm

AZOlddog wrote:

@ AZOlddog:
    i’m all for it.

heinlien…ok…i can see that.

69 | February 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Now this looks like funn. Syrian Rebels Attack Hezbollah. The big game we’ve all been waiting for… Queda vs the Hezbohs. Who are we gonna pull for? I can think of several analogies; Alien vs Predator; Cancer vs leprosy; Florida vs Florida State. At any rate, pass the popcorn.

70 | February 21, 2013 10:28 pm

huckfunn wrote:

the blackhawks versus redwings.

all blacks versus australia

ali versus frazier

71 | February 21, 2013 10:29 pm

It’s gonna be a thrilla. :grin:

72. pat
    72 | February 21, 2013 10:32 pm

Obama said his calls to Boehner and McConnell went really well. We are screwed.

73 | February 21, 2013 11:01 pm

pat wrote:

Obama said his calls to Boehner and McConnell went really well. We are screwed.

Yup

Top House Dem Steny Hoyer Calls For Tax Hikes On 99% Of Americans…

74 | February 21, 2013 11:13 pm

heysoos wrote:

Friends don’t let Friends vote ‘liberal’.