First time visitor? Learn more.

Ex-Duke Lacrosse Players End Lawsuit Against School

by Speranza ( 2 Comments › )
Filed under Headlines, Media at March 2nd, 2013 - 7:04 am

That whole incident was media frenzy driven disgrace. I hope the falsely accused players took the university to the cleaners!

by Andrew Harris

Thirty-eight former Duke University lacrosse players ended a 2008 lawsuit alleging that the institution lent its credibility to rape allegations against three other team members who were later vindicated.

An agreement to drop the case against the university, President Richard Brodhead and other officials was filed Feb. 27 in federal court in Durham, North Carolina. That document referenced a Feb. 20 accord that doesn’t appear on the court’s electronic docket.

“My clients settled their lawsuit with Duke,” plaintiffs’ attorney David H. Thompson said today in a telephone interview. The terms of that agreement are confidential, he said.

Michael J. Schoenfeld, a spokesman for the university, said yesterday the case had been resolved. In a phone interview, he too declined to elaborate on the terms of the resolution.

The prosecution of players David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann began in 2006 with a stripper’s claim that she had been attacked after dancing at a team party.

State prosecutors took over the case in 2007 after the original prosecutor, Michael Nifong, was accused of unethical behavior during the investigation. Charges against the players were later dropped and Nifong was disbarred.

The accused players filed a separate lawsuit against the school in 2007.

The 38 settling players will continue to press claims against the city of Durham, public officials and police for “inappropriate and illegal conduct,” Thompson said today.

The case is Carrington v. Duke University, 08-cv-119, U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina (Durham).

Comments

Comments and respectful debate are both welcome and encouraged.

Comments are the sole opinion of the comment writer, just as each thread posted is the sole opinion or post idea of the administrator that posted it or of the readers that have written guest posts for the Blogmocracy.

Obscene, abusive, or annoying remarks may be deleted or moved to spam for admin review, but the fact that particular comments remain on the site in no way constitutes an endorsement of their content by any other commenter or the admins of this Blogmocracy.

We're not easily offended and don't want people to think they have to walk on eggshells around here (like at another place that shall remain nameless) but of course, there is a limit to everything.

Play nice!

2 Responses to “Ex-Duke Lacrosse Players End Lawsuit Against School”
( jump to bottom )

  1. 1 | March 2, 2013 3:27 pm

    It’s too bad they settled this. It should have been tried in a court of law, and (God willing) the reputation of the university & those involved destroyed. Plus massive payouts for the accused, not only from the school, but from the ‘victim’.


  2. Speranza
    2 | March 2, 2013 7:34 pm

    mfhorn wrote:

    It’s too bad they settled this. It should have been tried in a court of law, and (God willing) the reputation of the university & those involved destroyed. Plus massive payouts for the accused, not only from the school, but from the ‘victim’.

    81 members of the faculty signed a petition denouncing them.


Back to the Top

The Blogmocracy

website design was Built By David