Pope Francis had issues with the Kirchner regime

by Rodan ( 97 Comments › )
Filed under Argentina, Christianity, Religion at March 14th, 2013 - 7:00 am

The Conclave Of Cardinals Have Elected A New Pope To Lead The World's Catholics

The news that Jorge Bergoglio becoming Pope had me worried since he was a Jesuit. My concerns have been alleviated after reading he was an enemy of Argentina’s coke head President, Cristina Kirchner. He also had rejected the Marxist Liberation Theology and believes charity, not wealth redistribution is how you assist the poor.

Pope Francis is the first ever from the Americas, an austere Jesuit intellectual who modernized Argentina’s conservative Catholic church.

Known until Wednesday as Jorge Bergoglio, the 76-year-old is known as a humble man who denied himself the luxuries that previous Buenos Aires cardinals enjoyed. He came close to becoming pope last time, reportedly gaining the second-highest vote total in several rounds of voting before he bowed out of the running in the conclave that elected Pope Benedict XVI.

[....]

Bergoglio’s influence seemed to stop at the presidential palace door after Nestor Kirchner and then his wife, Cristina Fernandez, took over the Argentina’s government. His outspoken criticism couldn’t prevent Argentina from becoming the Latin American country to legalize gay marriage, or stop Fernandez from promoting free contraception and artificial insemination.

His church had no say when the Argentine Supreme Court expanded access to legal abortions in rape cases, and when Bergoglio argued that gay adoptions discriminate against children, Fernandez compared his tone to “medieval times and the Inquisition.”

This kind of demonization is unfair, says Rubin, who obtained an extremely rare interview of Bergoglio for his biography, the “The Jesuit.”

“Is Bergoglio a progressive — a liberation theologist even? No. He’s no third-world priest. Does he criticize the International Monetary Fund, and neoliberalism? Yes. Does he spend a great deal of time in the slums? Yes,” Rubin said.

One does not have to be on the Left to be a critic of the IMF or free trade policies. From a theological perspective, Pope Francis I is solid.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

97 Responses to “Pope Francis had issues with the Kirchner regime”

1. 1 | March 14, 2013 7:06 am

What happens between these votes? Do they debate the merits of one candidate or another? Pray?

What is it about the Jesuits that have moved them to the left, in general?

2. 2 | March 14, 2013 7:32 am

@ mfhorn:

Money & power?

3. Tanker
    3 | March 14, 2013 8:02 am

Not being Catholic, I have no skin on the line. It is really interesting reading the different takes on the new Pope. My Sister and BIL are excited with the pick, but they are for the most part leftist (take to give leftist), not personal charity. So I don’t know what to think. I guess time will tell for the church! I believe it will create much more interesting reading!

Researching/reading up on the Jesuits is really eye opening!

As the saying goes “Elections have consequences”!!

4. 4 | March 14, 2013 8:25 am

Though I have concerns about his comments vis a vis the Falklands, I’m highly optimistic about this new Pope. Besides, the Pope is an instrument of God and God will do with him as He sees fit and past comments Archbishop Bergoglio may or may not be indicative of what we can expect from Pope Francis. One of the sources of my optimism is the fact that he’s lived his life among people rather than living his life among somewhat cloistered academic theologians. I believe God sends us the Holy Father we need at that particular time and I believe He did so yesterday.

As an aside, he pushed back hard against Kirchner and I’ve no doubt he’ll do he same with Obama.

5. 5 | March 14, 2013 8:32 am

@ MacDuff:

Rather, I intended to say “just as he pushed back against Kirchner, he’ll push back against Obama”…….

6. 6 | March 14, 2013 8:44 am

Looks like the College of Cardinals once again chose a pope who’s actually a Catholic, judging by the whining on the left.

S. Weasel pointed out on her blog that the new pope’s choice of the name “Francis” is fortuitous, because now any time a papal edict is issued, she can say “Lighten up, Francis.” Heh. Wish I’d thought of that.

7. 7 | March 14, 2013 8:45 am

Interesting Drudge juxtaposition between the new Pope and physicists claiming proof of the “God Particle”- you just can’t make this stuff up!

8. 8 | March 14, 2013 8:49 am

Mike C. wrote:

:D That’s pretty funny, I kinda wish I’d thought of that too!

9. 9 | March 14, 2013 8:49 am

@ MacDuff:

I’m still left wondering on that Higg’s Boson stuff, and apparently so are a bunch of people who are actually qualified to have an opinion. Film at 11…

10. 10 | March 14, 2013 8:51 am

And it was so obvious!

11. 11 | March 14, 2013 8:51 am

@ Mike C.:

The Left is claiming he had ties to Argentine Rightwing death squads.

12. 12 | March 14, 2013 8:53 am

Mike C. wrote:

The more they squeal, the better I feel. Hey, I ought to copyright that or something…..

13. 13 | March 14, 2013 8:58 am

The Left is claiming he had ties to Argentine Rightwing death squads.

Color me unsurprised. I’ve no doubt they’re trying to, somehow, connect him with escaped Nazi war criminals. The Pope is God’s tool, these lowlifes are Satan’s tool- that’s the simple truth we all need to remember.

14 | March 14, 2013 9:03 am

Good morning. Catholic University sociologist William D’Angelo thinks
    that if the new Pope is really devoted to the poor, he should promote
    unions worldwide.
    He should visit Detroit and see what unions have done.

15. 15 | March 14, 2013 9:09 am

Top o’ the morning, RIX!

God save us from unions and sociologists. At least unions fulfilled a purpose at some point in history, I’m not so sure sociologists can say the same.

16. 16 | March 14, 2013 9:10 am

@ Mike C.:
    The Left is claiming he had ties to Argentine Rightwing death squads.

Needless to say, The Left can bite my ass… Remember all the agonizing over the choice of My Man Joe last time around? Eff ‘em.

17 | March 14, 2013 9:20 am

MacDuff wrote:

Top o’ the morning, RIX!

Hey Mac. I agree, back in the day unions filled an important role.
    Later though they decided that they had a duty to destroy their
    employer, then wonder what happened to their jobs.

18. 18 | March 14, 2013 9:22 am

@ Mike C.:

They can cry me a river.

19. 19 | March 14, 2013 9:26 am

Pope Francis is an unabashed devotee of the Blessed Virgin Mary, another big plus in my estimation- one of his first prayers as Pope was a devotion to Mary. Unsurprising as the Latin Church has always had a particularly special relationship with the Virgin Mary, but still very comforting as I believe that Mary has a very special relationship with the people of the Church. I’m really liking this guy….

20. 20 | March 14, 2013 9:36 am

@ MacDuff:

October 7th is the day of Rosary which was dedicated to the greatest victory won by Latins, The Battle of Lepanto.

During Spain’s Liberation war against Islam, The Virgin was on their banners.

21. 21 | March 14, 2013 9:52 am

Gotta love the Latins; what a splendid history of Muslim ass-kicking!

22. 22 | March 14, 2013 9:54 am

MacDuff wrote:

Gotta love the Latins; what a splendid history of Muslim ass-kicking!

Does the term Latins apply to the Spanish only, or also to the French and Italians? Oh, can’t leave the Portuguese out!

23. 23 | March 14, 2013 10:02 am

Macker wrote:

Good question- I kinda use “Latins” and “Hispanics” interchangeably, perhaps (and likely) incorrectly. Spanish speakers are a pretty diverse group and hard to pin down….

24. 24 | March 14, 2013 10:04 am

@ MacDuff:

Since Obama sending pro-abortion Joe Biden to the investiture, I’d love to see that arrogant ass plant his slimy butt at the communion rail and be told by the new Pope – “no, get up and go back.”

He doesn’t mince words – if you legislate for abortion, you are not following Catholic principles and you are denied communion. Of course, like I said yesterday, Queen Nancy is not going to be able to take communion at St. Mary’s Cathedral (our archbishop believes likewise), but I’m sure she’ll be able to find a lefty priest who’ll give her the sacrament.

25. 25 | March 14, 2013 10:08 am

@ Macker:

Latin refers to any Spanish, Italian, Romanian, Portuguese or French speaker. Culturally, Albanian Christians and Filipinos are Latins as well. In the US the term Latin/Latino is totally used wrong and it doe not denote a race, but a cultural/Linguistic grouping.

This is a Brazilian video that explains it.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kADcMaqq46U

26. 26 | March 14, 2013 10:09 am

Macker wrote:

MacDuff wrote:
    Gotta love the Latins; what a splendid history of Muslim ass-kicking!

For cencus and other purposes, the official US term is “Hispanic” and it refers only to to people that speak Spanish or whose ancestors did so. Portugese, French and Italians don’t count.

27. 27 | March 14, 2013 10:09 am

See my 25.

28. 28 | March 14, 2013 10:10 am

@ Mike C.:

Yup, the term is used wrong in America for political reasons. All Hispanics are Latin, but not all Latins are Hispanic.

29. Lily
    29 | March 14, 2013 10:11 am

MacDuff wrote:

@ MacDuff:

He is pushing back against obama that is for sure and that is a good thing.

30. 30 | March 14, 2013 10:13 am

Carolina Girl wrote:

@ MacDuff:

Since Obama sending pro-abortion Joe Biden to the investiture, I’d love to see that arrogant ass plant his slimy butt at the communion rail and be told by the new Pope — “no, get up and go back.”

He doesn’t mince words — if you legislate for abortion, you are not following Catholic principles and you are denied communion. Of course, like I said yesterday, Queen Nancy is not going to be able to take communion at St. Mary’s Cathedral (our archbishop believes likewise), but I’m sure she’ll be able to find a lefty priest who’ll give her the sacrament.

I think I saw an article about him favoring denial of Communion in Argentina as an Archbishop and a Cardinal to facilitators of abortion. He seems to have no qualms to taking on the powers that be….this could become very interesting.

31. Lily
    31 | March 14, 2013 10:14 am

Mike C. wrote:

Actually the choice of Francis bring this to mind especially if you are Catholic.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFkjdFgqOY4

32. 32 | March 14, 2013 10:16 am

Thank you Rodan! That is very informative.

33. Lily
    33 | March 14, 2013 10:18 am

MacDuff wrote:

Oh and this too~!

Angel in sky photos: South Florida sees a message from above

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_c_palm_beach_county/west_palm_beach/a-message-from-above?llll#ixzz2NWWjfoYt

34. 34 | March 14, 2013 10:18 am

@ Macker:

This is a Brazilian video that explains it.

Thanks, history lessons with hot babes are particularly informative!

35. Lily
    35 | March 14, 2013 10:19 am

@ Mike C.:
    The Left is claiming he had ties to Argentine Rightwing death squads.

What???? Rightwing death squads?? Good grief!

36. 36 | March 14, 2013 10:20 am

Very interesting!

37. 37 | March 14, 2013 10:20 am

@ Macker:

This video debunks anything La Raza claims. Fist of all what Race? They then bitch about European invaders, who were Latins (Spanish/Italians). Yet they call themselves Latins, but emphasize their Aztec heritage who were Meso-American natives. The Southwest was called New Spain, not Aztlan. They should also look at who rules Mexico, hint it aint Aztecs.

38. Lily
    38 | March 14, 2013 10:24 am

Carolina Girl wrote:

@ MacDuff:

The lefty priests are getting harder to find…Biden and Nancy need to be not allowed to take Communion. Period.

39. 39 | March 14, 2013 10:26 am

@ MacDuff:

That video confirms what you saw in Puerto Rico. You said that many Puerto Ricans you met and saw looked very fair skinned. Others are not. But they are all Puerto Ricans. The Light skin ones are descended from Spanish or Italians. The darker ones are either Black or of Taino roots. Many who look White have some Black or Taino. Many who are dark have Latin-European in them.

Their identity is not base on race, but cultural and linguistics.

40. Lily
    40 | March 14, 2013 10:27 am

MacDuff wrote:

Very interesting!

Indeed. Didn’t have time to get on the computer yesterday..but I was extremely surprised the Cardinals were about apoint a new Pope so quickly!

41. 41 | March 14, 2013 10:28 am

@ Lily:

Yup, they claim he snitched out Leftist Priests to the Argentine death squads.

42. Lily
    42 | March 14, 2013 10:28 am

PIMF…ABLE TO APOINT
    /darn it.

43. 43 | March 14, 2013 10:29 am

@ Lily:

I think the Benedict wanted this guy as his successor.

44. Lily
    44 | March 14, 2013 10:30 am

@ Lily:
    Yup, they claim he snitched out Leftist Priests to the Argentine death squads.

And where is there proof? Other than their imagination?

45. 45 | March 14, 2013 10:31 am

They are making it up.

46. Lily
    46 | March 14, 2013 10:32 am

@ Lily:
    I think the Benedict wanted this guy as his successor.

Could be…all I know is there is something spirital going on…not just bad health. This Pope was picked very quickly.

47. 47 | March 14, 2013 10:33 am

@ MacDuff:

Their identity is not base on race, but cultural and linguistics.

Indeed, I thought about the blond Puerto Ricans while I was watching it! (Get outta my head, Rodan!)

48. Lily
    48 | March 14, 2013 10:33 am

Of course. …. I have heard enough of them to know they make up crap to support their opinion.

49. 49 | March 14, 2013 10:36 am

@ MacDuff:

BTW, there is an Irish presence in Latin America. During the Spanish Empire, many Irish joined the Spanish Armies. They received Land grants in Latin America after their service. There was also immigration to Latin America. You can find Irish communities in Colombia, Argentina, Uruguay and Chile.

In fact in Puerto Rico, that big fort in San Juan, El Moro was built by the Irish!

50. 50 | March 14, 2013 10:38 am

@ Lily:

The anti-Catholic bigotry I saw across Leftists and even Conservative blogs yesterday disgusted me.

These are miserable people who take out their misery on others. They live a very sad existence.

51. Lily
    51 | March 14, 2013 10:38 am

Rodan did it surprise you who they picked for Pope?
    /I know I was surprised at how quickly he was picked.

52. 52 | March 14, 2013 10:42 am

Anti-Catholic bigotry is still fashionable in certain circles. Look at Obama and you can see that. He is the most anti-Catholic President we’ve ever had. Period. And he gets away with it because the pro- abortion fanatics will support anything that promotes abortion.

53. Lily
    53 | March 14, 2013 10:43 am

You are kidding (no I know you aren’t) the anti-Catholic bigotry on Conservative blogs yesterday????

They have no idea how powerful the Rosary is…..yesterday I was in solid Catholic Country I live in it (even the non-Catholic’s do not diss the Catholic’s here) so I heard nothing negative, plus I wasn’t on the computer either yesterday. But I certainly got word from several people about them picking a Pope and who he was.

54. Lily
    54 | March 14, 2013 10:45 am

Digusting isn’t it? Because even some of these anti-Catholic’s are religious or so they claim…and they think abortion is okay? Sickening.

55. 55 | March 14, 2013 10:50 am

Yup, plus as you see in the popular culture its OK to bash Catholics. You can relate being a Southern White Christian. Is open season on you as well.

BTW, There was some asshole on Twitter calling the Pope a Wetback and he was sick of Latinos going to his Church. The Left promoted this twitter account as proof of Conservative bigotry. I did some reach and as I dug deeper into his time line, it turned out. He was OFA doing a false flag.

56. 56 | March 14, 2013 10:51 am

@ Lily:

It could be OFA false flags and some bigots. But I am discovering a tactic OFA is using. See my #55 above.

57. Lily
    57 | March 14, 2013 10:56 am

I saw that ….. never in my life have I heard any Catholic diss another Catholic….much less the Pope! I haven’t heard Catholic’s diss even other Christians or Jewish people. But I live Catholic country for sure …..

58. 58 | March 14, 2013 10:58 am

@ Lily:

I am starting to conclude that much of the bigoted comments on Conservative blogs are OFA related.

59. 59 | March 14, 2013 10:58 am

That wouldn’t surprise me. Benedict is still alive and would have been able to communicate who he thought his successor should be. If that is the case, from what I have read so far, his selection is pleasing me no end.

It doesn’t surprise me that the leftists are doing all they can to denigrate this new Pope, in the same way they tried to paint Benedict as a Nazi collaborator.

60. Lily
    60 | March 14, 2013 10:59 am

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Y_ztEW1NE

61. 61 | March 14, 2013 11:00 am

Interesting. The OFA types are all into false flag operations. They can be successful at them if people let them get away with it. It is dispicable behavior, but our enemies are dispicable. U

62. 62 | March 14, 2013 11:01 am

You know these clowns can’t make up their minds. Either the influence of the Church is gone in America and it shouldn’t matter who the Pope is, or the Pope is a conservative and woe is us because he won’t sanction gay marriage and abortion.

Seriously? They’ve lived so long in the Democrat/Progressive bubble they love that they really believe that Church dogma is open to polling? You could hear it in the words of the pundits. Well, blah, blah, he has to do this and do that. No he doesn’t assholes. It’s not the roll of the Church to conform to YOUR beliefs.

63. 63 | March 14, 2013 11:02 am

@ Lily:

My friend brought me a rosary blessed by Pope Benedict. It gives me great comfort in these trying times.

64. Lily
    64 | March 14, 2013 11:03 am

@ Lily:

The high C notes in this is awesome in this piece!

It was only played on Good Friday at 3:00 pm at the Vatican….

65. Lily
    65 | March 14, 2013 11:05 am

Carolina Girl wrote:

@ Lily:

WoW!!!! The Rosary is one of the most powerful prayers! You say Jesus Christs name 150 times in one Rosary.

66. 66 | March 14, 2013 11:06 am

Oh, and the Vogue is out with Mooch on the cover. They’ve airbrushed her down to a size 4.

67. 67 | March 14, 2013 11:07 am

This is what they do on the Illegal topics. Are some people into the issue because they do not like Hispanics, sure (Ann Coulter). But the vast majority are just concerned because of legality. Just from a law enforcement aspect.

What OFA is doing is planting anti-Hispanic comments on Conservative blogs and Twitter to discredit being against illegal immigration. Sadly it has worked, hence the push for amnesty.

That is one example out of many. I and someone else are researching different nics and Twitter accounts. I have concluded the Left is engaged in Cyber warfare.

Now about Ann Coulter, I believe she’s false flag. She’s buddies with Bill Maher and supports Turncoats like Chris Christie. She makes comments to discredit Conservative stances.

I really think the Left has planted many false flag operatives on the Right.

68. Lily
    68 | March 14, 2013 11:07 am

@ Lily:

I can believe that!!!! Lies!!!

69. 69 | March 14, 2013 11:07 am

@ Carolina Girl:

They the Church should bow to their will.

70. 70 | March 14, 2013 11:08 am

@ Lily:

Good Friday service for the full three hours – makes you realize how much Christ gave – it emphasizes just how long that time he spent on the cross – and you wonder how lonely and even afraid he might have felt during that time.

71. Lily
    71 | March 14, 2013 11:09 am

Carolina Girl wrote:

I saw that … and without that new hair cut too.

72. 72 | March 14, 2013 11:09 am

@ Lily:

Yes, I have met many different people in my walks of life. When I discuss with Conservative leaning people about my Hispanic heritage they tend to ask questions and are interested. When I encounter Leftists, they argue with me about my own heritage and stereotype me.

Again, who is the bigot?

What I see online dos not jive with my real world experience.

73. Tanker
    73 | March 14, 2013 11:10 am

Lily wrote:

Not my opinion, but it may come from the fact that many Religious conservatives (Non-Catholic) feel betrayed by the overwhelming Catholic support for Obama and leftist in elections. I have to say I’ve felt some of that when I talk to my Catholic family members (they all vote leftist). Makes for many interesting family gatherings.

It’s hard to come to grips with people that vote totally against their religious teachings.

I know social issues aren’t important or shouldn’t be brought up in elections though!

74. Lily
    74 | March 14, 2013 11:10 am

@ Carolina Girl:

And how much he suffered…look at how much he suffered for us!!!!
    /that is what I get!

75. 75 | March 14, 2013 11:12 am

@ Lily:

Yes. And my heart aches for Mary.

76 | March 14, 2013 11:18 am

Carolina Girl wrote:

Beyonce can you see?
    I was airbrushed all right
    And they showed off my arms
    Naked, oiled up and gleaming
    I look like a real star
    With my waist cinched in tight
    While my husband Barack
    Gives the taxpayers a reaming
    My new sheepdog hair
    Is in evidence there
    But they somehow removed
    My trademark angry glare
    This time I don’t look like I’m fresh out of a cave
    And I’m sure my adoring claque of fans will rave

—the National Anthem, slightly adjusted

77. Lily
    77 | March 14, 2013 11:19 am

Tanker wrote:

Lily wrote:

I should have said *good Catholic’s*….this happens in my own family who are all Catholic’s….I should have thought this through..these are Catholic’s in name only! But honestly it is 50/50 not all Cahtolic’s are leftists…there are a lot that aren’t. But there is those that are. But if you notice *where I live*. My extended family doesn’t live here in Louisiana….

78. 78 | March 14, 2013 11:19 am

@ MacDuff:

I knew none of that thanks so much for the information! As I’ve always believed, that which unites us is far greater than that which divides us.

79. mtc
    79 | March 14, 2013 11:22 am

yeah, especially Hot Air. That surprised me.

80. 80 | March 14, 2013 11:22 am

Anti-Catholicism is oft called “the last socially acceptable prejudice“…..

81. Lily
    81 | March 14, 2013 11:23 am

@ Carolina Girl:

She tries to warn us….and too many do not listen.

82 | March 14, 2013 11:23 am

MacDuff wrote:

Anti-Catholicism is oft called “the last socially acceptable prejudice“…..

But anti-white-male prejudice is comin’ round the turn on the outside…

83. mtc
    83 | March 14, 2013 11:31 am

And some of the mainstream Catholic blogs said they didn’t likethe new pope because he wasn’t traditional enough.

84. 84 | March 14, 2013 11:32 am

mtc wrote:

yeah, especially Hot Air. That surprised me.

Its probably False Flags.

85. 85 | March 14, 2013 11:33 am

@ MacDuff:

that which unites us is far greater than that which divides us.

Amen to that!

86. 86 | March 14, 2013 11:33 am

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

But anti-white-male prejudice is comin’ round the turn on the outside…

Ain’t it da truth!

87. 87 | March 14, 2013 11:35 am

@ MacDuff:

Here is the most famous Irish-Latin American.

Bernardo O’Higgins

Bernardo O’Higgins Riquelme (Spanish: [berˈnarðo oˈxiɣins]; 1778–1842) was a Chilean independence leader who, together with José de San Martín, freed Chile from Spanish rule in the Chilean War of Independence. Although he was the second Supreme Director of Chile (1817–1823), he is considered one of Chile’s founding fathers, as he was the first holder of this title to head a fully independent Chilean state. O’Higgins was of Spanish and Irish[1] ancestry.

88. Lily
    88 | March 14, 2013 11:36 am

Carolina Girl wrote:

@ Lily:
    Yes. And my heart aches for Mary.

To have watched her Son suffer so much…….

CG…this is required reading for priests…if this book doesn’t have you on your knee’s and crying nothing will…

89. Lily
    89 | March 14, 2013 11:37 am

mtc wrote:

Give him time first before judging him I say…..

90. 90 | March 14, 2013 11:39 am

New Thread.

91. 91 | March 14, 2013 11:41 am

@ MacDuff:

Here’s another shall I say infamous Irish Latin American.

Che Guevara

Ernesto Guevara was born to Celia de la Serna y Llosa and Ernesto Guevara Lynch on June 14, 1928[1] in Rosario, Argentina, the eldest of five children in an Argentine family of Spanish, Basque and Irish descent

92. 92 | March 14, 2013 11:46 am

mtc wrote:

I consider myself a traditionalist, have a pretty dim view on much of Vatican II and try to go to Tridentine Masses whenever possible but a lot of these people drive me up a wall! At some point one has to invest their faith in The Church and all it stands for, or get the hell out and find somewhere else to invest their faith- they’re disruptive and destructive. The sedevacantists are the worst.

93. Lily
    93 | March 14, 2013 11:49 am

@ MacDuff:

Vatican II let the smoke in …there was only one or two good things that came out of that.. mostly bad.

94. 94 | March 14, 2013 11:50 am

@ MacDuff:

Here’s another shall I say infamous Irish Latin American.

Che Guevara

Well, there’s one we’d all just as soon forget, no?

95. 95 | March 14, 2013 11:53 am

@ MacDuff:

I figure you would not want to claim him!

:lol

96. 96 | March 14, 2013 11:57 am

Lily wrote:

@ MacDuff:

I agree- much was well-intentioned but it served to water down Catholicism rather than strengthen it. We need a well-defined Catholicism, not just another Christian sect.

97. 97 | March 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Well, it isn’t like someone hasn’t snuck on there before and left vile comments pretending to be a conservative.