Celtic Round Hounds

by Bunk X ( 224 Comments › )
Filed under Art, History, OOT, Open thread, Weapons at March 16th, 2013 - 10:00 pm

Celtic_round_dogs grn

Dogs o’ War they be. Irish Wolfhounds were used as weapons, as they could take a man off his horse for killing by others. Celtic dogs are also regarded as good luck as they were the protectors of highways and crossroads, and of lost souls in the Celtic Otherworld.

Many Irish myths and legends include mentions of hounds. The most famous involves the Celtic hero Cuchulainn (The Hound of Ulster) or (The Hound of Culann) who stroked a blacksmith’s Celtic hound with his bare hands. When Culann, the blacksmith asked who would now guard his shop the young Cuchulainn offered to take the dog’s place thus gaining himself the title of ‘The hound of Culann’. The offer was turned down and Cuchulainn went on to become one of the greatest warrior legends of that era, but the nickname stuck. Other famous Irish hounds were Bran and Seolan who belonged to the warrior, Fionn mac Cumhaill. The mother of Bran and Sceolan was Tuiren, and was Fionn Mac Cumhaill’s aunt, transformed into a hound by a fairy or Sidhe. [via]

Whether you like it or not, everyone becomes Irish tomorrow, so here’s a big green steaming pile of The Overnight Open Thread.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

224 Responses to “Celtic Round Hounds”

1 | March 16, 2013 10:17 pm

ex wife is from kinsale, i lived in ireland. i do miss a great night in a pub in the middle of nowhere with a peat fire, music in the corner, a gale at the door and good pint in hand.

2 | March 16, 2013 10:23 pm

‘”Thewr was many a sad heart in Dublin that morning when they murdered
    James Connley, the Irish rebel.”
    The Ballad of James Connley.

my ex wife’s grandma lived through the 1916 rising in dublin. i had the great honor to take her from her retirement home at 8 am one morning and drive her into dublin so i could pick her brain. my ex and her mum went shopping, i sprang grama!

i got the whole and unexpurgated history of the rising over the next 14 hours as we went from pub to place. i still have my notes of that adventure.

i look at them every once in a while, and smile

3 | March 16, 2013 10:28 pm

i look at them every once in a while, and smile@ coldwarrior:

That must have been quite an experience. We are related to Michael Collins
    & my Grandfather was a rebel.

4 | March 16, 2013 10:29 pm

cheers.

5 | March 16, 2013 10:31 pm

she was quite neutral on the event of the day. very factual as we went round.

that was one of the top 20 days of my life. i had a ball!

6 | March 16, 2013 10:31 pm

cheers.

Slainte!

7 | March 16, 2013 10:32 pm

of course.

8 | March 16, 2013 10:34 pm

she was quite neutral on the event of the day. very factual as we went round.

that was one of the top 20 days of my life. i had a ball!

It’s fascinating historically. The movie “Michael Collins” is worth a look.

9 | March 16, 2013 10:35 pm

my ex-dad in law owned the moorings in kinsale, ireland.

a bigger and better guy never walked the earth.

rip pat. i miss ya.

10 | March 16, 2013 10:36 pm

of course.

We are having corned beef & Cabbage tomorrow.
    My non Irish wife is convinced that I like it & I don’t
    have the heart to tell her.

11 | March 16, 2013 10:36 pm

It’s fascinating historically. The movie “Michael Collins” is worth a look.

i keep wanting to see that.

if its historical i might buy it.

see, my peeps were molly mcguires. we just got pardoned not too long ago

12 | March 16, 2013 10:37 pm

We are having corned beef & Cabbage tomorrow.
    My non Irish wife is convinced that I like it & I don’t
    have the heart to tell her.

yeah. well…its lent.

howz that.

13 | March 16, 2013 10:40 pm

It’s fascinating historically. The movie “Michael Collins” is worth a look.

i keep wanting to see that.

if its historical i might buy it.

see, my peeps were molly mcguires. we just got pardoned not too long ago

Sinn Fein, my friend.
    Sean Connery was in a good movie about the McGuires in PA

14 | March 16, 2013 10:43 pm

yeah. well…its lent.

howz that.

Dispensation on St. Patricks, even if it was Friday.

15 | March 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Sinn Fein, my friend.
    Sean Connery was in a good movie about the McGuires in PA

my ancestors.

of course, we arent as good looking as mr connery (a scot) and richard harris

16 | March 16, 2013 10:44 pm

yeah. well…its lent.
    howz that.

Dispensation on St. Patricks, even if it was Friday.

indeed.

m ex father in law would give up alcohol for lent, except for the 72 hours of st paddy.

17 | March 16, 2013 10:46 pm

Scots?…what about it?

18 | March 16, 2013 10:47 pm

The Wolfhounds are remarkable & huge.
    Any dog that can take down a wolf has my respect.
    They would protect the flock from wolves & other
    predators.

19. Lily
    19 | March 16, 2013 10:47 pm

Sinn Fein, my friend.
    Sean Connery was in a good movie about the McGuires in PA
    my ancestors.
    of course, we arent as good looking as mr connery (a scot) and richard harris

Oh the Scots in my family are good looking….none on that side of the family are ugly. None. Of course we come from the Highlander Scots.

20. Lily
    20 | March 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Scots?…what about it?

Not Scotch…Scotish people. ;)

21. Calo
    21 | March 16, 2013 10:49 pm

@ heysoos:
    Are you Scottish, my friend?

22 | March 16, 2013 10:49 pm

indeed.

He gave up alcohol? That’s inhumane!

23 | March 16, 2013 10:50 pm

my gramma was convinced i look like mr connery,

24 | March 16, 2013 10:50 pm

I’m a Taylor…
    a MacLeod

25. 25 | March 16, 2013 10:51 pm

@ heysoos:
    Ditto. As one of Scots-Irish ancestry that was long denied existance by the Catholic Church, I’ll offer this:
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsyjfJn0kb4

26. Lily
    26 | March 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Dear heavens this would scare anyone…. Yikes!

27 | March 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Sinn Fein, my friend.
    Sean Connery was in a good movie about the McGuires in PA

my ancestors.

of course, we arent as good looking as mr connery (a scot) and richard harris

Sure you are!

28. Lily
    28 | March 16, 2013 10:51 pm

@ Lily:

Of course they are on clearance…

29. Calo
    29 | March 16, 2013 10:52 pm

The Wolfhounds are remarkable & huge.
    Any dog that can take down a wolf has my respect.
    They would protect the flock from wolves & other
    predators.

Bite your tongue, my wolf has full command of the couch tonight and will harm any of you Irish pillow thieves threatening to take her spot tonight.

30 | March 16, 2013 10:52 pm

@ Calo:
    indeed I am…in a large part
    but I don’t wear a skirt

31. Lily
    31 | March 16, 2013 10:53 pm

my gramma was convinced i look like mr connery,

You probably do! Grandma’s are always correct!!! ;)

32. poteen
    32 | March 16, 2013 10:53 pm

This conversation reminds me of me dear old grandfar.
    The definition of contrarian he was.
    A year after his not too distant Irish cousin was executed for his part in the Easter Uprising, Gramps married his German girlfriend, signed on as a Doughboy and marched off to fight the Kaiser.

If you want a good read on the times try ‘Trinity’ by Leon Uris.

If you’re not Irish you’ll learn a lot.
    If you are you won’t be able to put it down.

33 | March 16, 2013 10:53 pm

@ Bunk X:
    hoy!…have another!

34. 34 | March 16, 2013 10:53 pm

An Irish Wolfhound, standing on its hind legs, pushes 7 feet tall.

35 | March 16, 2013 10:55 pm

I wouldn’t dare. :)

36. Lily
    36 | March 16, 2013 10:55 pm

I’m a Taylor…
    a MacLeod

MacGregor that was forced to change their last name to another Mc something.
    I must admit the Scottish side of my family argue like there is no tomorrow…

37 | March 16, 2013 10:57 pm

Bunk X wrote:

An Irish Wolfhound, standing on its hind legs, pushes 7 feet tall.

Exactly, huge dogs. They are also great family dogs & great with kids.

38 | March 16, 2013 10:59 pm

fighting is sport for a Scot…just for it’s own sake

39. Calo
    40 | March 16, 2013 11:00 pm

Lily wrote:

Dear heavens this would scare anyone…. Yikes!

I feel a shoe thread hijack coming up soon.

40. 41 | March 16, 2013 11:01 pm

I never want to see a pug that big.

41. 42 | March 16, 2013 11:02 pm

@ Calo:
    I’ve got my phaser set on STFU.

43 | March 16, 2013 11:02 pm

Bunk X wrote:

I never want to see a pug that big.

They’re big.

43. Lily
    44 | March 16, 2013 11:02 pm

fighting is sport for a Scot…just for it’s own sake

You telling me something I don’t know??? Dear heavens…my father is a Mc …….and yes they argue for sport.

44. 45 | March 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Bigger than Oprah. Bigger than Michelle’s caboose. Bigger than Charles.

46 | March 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Good night all. I plan to Dream that Obama is not actually President.
    A great dream!

46. Lily
    47 | March 16, 2013 11:05 pm

@ Calo:
    I’ve got my phaser set on STFU.

If I find the right shoe it would scared you so much you would drop that drop that phaser and that’s a fact Jack…. ;)

47. Calo
    48 | March 16, 2013 11:05 pm

@ Calo:
    I’ve got my phaser set on STFU.

Oh, do you see that CW? Bunk is telling me to piss off.

49 | March 16, 2013 11:06 pm

Bunk X wrote:

Bigger than Oprah. Bigger than Hichelle’s caboose. Bigger than Charles.

But all three weigh more than a wolfhound

49. Lily
    50 | March 16, 2013 11:06 pm

That is kinda of really what is going on ….obama doesn’t do president things but he does have the title.

50. Lily
    51 | March 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Calo wrote:

@ Calo:
    I’ve got my phaser set on STFU.
    Oh, do you see that CW? Bunk is telling me to piss off.

It’s On LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!!!!!!

51. Calo
    52 | March 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Good Night Rix, it was nice to see you here on the OOT tonight.

52. eaglesoars
    53 | March 16, 2013 11:09 pm

Do you know where the phrase ‘beyond the pale’ is from?

In the time of Elizabeth I, when the Brits were being beastly to the Irish, there was one area inside Dublin proper called The Pale where the Brits were safe. To leave it was risky and called going beyond the Pale.

53. Lily
    54 | March 16, 2013 11:10 pm

Calo wrote:

Lily wrote:
    Dear heavens this would scare anyone…. Yikes!
    I feel a shoe thread hijack coming up soon.

No…only if we start talking about scary things….fashion crimes really can un-nerve me.

54. Lily
    55 | March 16, 2013 11:13 pm

Nite Rix!

55. Lily
    56 | March 16, 2013 11:17 pm

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTukSakeqr4

56. Calo
    57 | March 16, 2013 11:22 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Do you know where the phrase ‘beyond the pale’ is from?

Another version of Beyond the Pale

2006: (Also see ‘beyond the pale – Dublin, Ireland). That area of Iraq outside the US trenches surrounding Baghdad, where ‘democracy’ has failed to flower. Lawless (see: ref. ‘Sharia’), anarchic territory under the influence of sunni-VS.-shia warlords and suicide bombers.
    “Gee, sure we brought deemocrazy to I-rak. It’s just those terrorists beyond the pale that don’t want to enjoy freedom. Baghdad, Iraq after US-lead invasion.

58 | March 16, 2013 11:25 pm

poteen wrote:

well played.

58. eaglesoars
    59 | March 16, 2013 11:25 pm

@ Calo:

yeah, well now I think it applies to the entire country

59. Lily
    60 | March 16, 2013 11:30 pm

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPL_SV3n7IU

61 | March 16, 2013 11:30 pm

a late night phone call from rodan is a hoot.

61. Calo
    62 | March 16, 2013 11:30 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    Yep, nothing new to see here, same crap different day.

How is Molly tonight?

62. Calo
    63 | March 16, 2013 11:32 pm

No, no, no, no.

Not that song. It brings up memories of a long lost friend for me.

64 | March 16, 2013 11:32 pm

i got to see them do

the wall

at the wall

65 | March 16, 2013 11:33 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Do you know where the phrase ‘beyond the pale’ is from?

damn right

65. eaglesoars
    66 | March 16, 2013 11:34 pm

Calo wrote:

How is Molly tonight?

Not too bad. Thanks. I don’t want to bore everyone, but I told CW about work on a melanoma vaccine you might be interested in. Ask him offline.

67 | March 16, 2013 11:35 pm

then watch this>

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCXqcBpURZE

67. Lily
    68 | March 16, 2013 11:37 pm

K something else then……

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upR7GQ5ToCs

68. Lily
    69 | March 16, 2013 11:38 pm

i got to see them do
    the wall
    at the wall

Lucky you!!!! Bet that was a blast! :)

70 | March 16, 2013 11:41 pm

i got to see them do
    the wall
    at the wall

Lucky you!!!! Bet that was a blast!

there was a time where i thought pink floyd was following me.

70. Lily
    71 | March 16, 2013 11:41 pm

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNm0Gj14Qac

71. Lily
    72 | March 16, 2013 11:43 pm

i got to see them do
    the wall
    at the wall
    Lucky you!!!! Bet that was a blast!
    there was a time where i thought pink floyd was following me.

Gosh when I was younger…I had fun…and my first boyfriend really was following me around..that was rather creepy…for 30 years.

72. Calo
    73 | March 16, 2013 11:44 pm

i got to see them do
    the wall
    at the wall
    Lucky you!!!! Bet that was a blast!

there was a time where i thought pink floyd was following me.

Somehow, I think you were dippin’ into haysoos’ bowl when you thought that.

74 | March 16, 2013 11:46 pm

i got to see them do
    the wall
    at the wall
    Lucky you!!!! Bet that was a blast!
    there was a time where i thought pink floyd was following me.

heres the trick:

i never had to leave the city i was in by assignment , i saw them 8 times in 3 years.

i was getting irritated that they were following me.

75 | March 16, 2013 11:47 pm

Calo wrote:

i got to see them do
    the wall
    at the wall
    Lucky you!!!! Bet that was a blast!
    there was a time where i thought pink floyd was following me.

Somehow, I think you were dippin’ into haysoos’ bowl when you thought that.

i prefer the dead.

but that’s just me

76 | March 16, 2013 11:50 pm

@ Calo:

i’m grumpy i’m not in IC tonight.

76. Lily
    77 | March 16, 2013 11:52 pm

WOW! I had to put my phone number in my son’s name….so he can’t find it and telling me how he watches me. Last time he called me and hubby were watching Fatal Attraction…I made my husband answer the phone. Naturally husband didn’t see the creepiness like I did. It was really creepy!

77. Lily
    78 | March 16, 2013 11:54 pm

Calo wrote:

i got to see them do
    the wall
    at the wall
    Lucky you!!!! Bet that was a blast!
    there was a time where i thought pink floyd was following me.
    Somehow, I think you were dippin’ into haysoos’ bowl when you thought that.

Are you sure that isn’t shrooms you are talking about?

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oRKvpZ7PjE

79 | March 16, 2013 11:56 pm

Lily wrote:

Are you sure that isn’t shrooms you are talking about?

;)

oh! what?

80 | March 16, 2013 11:57 pm

two words…
    peyote

80. Lily
    81 | March 16, 2013 11:59 pm

I like a variety of bands…depends on my mood…

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKBttQmhDBw

81. Lily
    82 | March 17, 2013 12:00 am

two words…
    peyote

There ya go! That is what I was thinking….I knew it..

Lily goes *boom* on being right and nobody knew. ;)

83 | March 17, 2013 12:00 am

two words…
    peyote

i might be last person that you want to get into psychedelic bona fides with.

peyote twice.

and i raise you an ayawhasca

83. Lily
    84 | March 17, 2013 12:01 am

two words…
    peyote

Hey that’s one word. Not two. Just saying. It’s all good though. ;)

84. Calo
    85 | March 17, 2013 12:03 am

I’m patiently waiting for my friend.
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKLVmBOOqVU

86 | March 17, 2013 12:03 am

two words…
    peyote
    Hey that’s one word. Not two. Just saying. It’s all good though.

its two sylabi?

that counts.

86. Lily
    87 | March 17, 2013 12:03 am

Lily wrote:
    Are you sure that isn’t shrooms you are talking about?

oh! what?

I knew someone knew what I was talking about…never had them though. I swear..I didn’t want to see little green men. :lol:

87. Lily
    88 | March 17, 2013 12:04 am

two words…
    peyote
    Hey that’s one word. Not two. Just saying. It’s all good though.
    its two sylabi?
    that counts.

Well….maybe…. :lol:

89 | March 17, 2013 12:05 am

did quite a bit of peyote back in the 70s with some peopleI met In Nederland CO…they bought it from a licensed Indian…man I tell you that was something…I blended it into a smoothie o get it down..best natural buzz by far

90 | March 17, 2013 12:10 am

heysoos wrote:

i prefer it. its just too hard to come by now.

that makes me sad.

i’m an old dead head, did 2 burning man’s, 2 bonarroos,

90. Lily
    91 | March 17, 2013 12:10 am

@ Calo:

Ah yeah you want some Stones???

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi90jHzFb3E

92 | March 17, 2013 12:12 am

Lily wrote:

would they want to see you?

its all up to you.

92. Lily
    93 | March 17, 2013 12:12 am

Ah you like head music…..not the band but the group of kids that liked to smoke the herb…that is what they were called in the 70’s.

94 | March 17, 2013 12:14 am

@ heysoos:

check this:
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsMRoQr0ujM

94. Lily
    95 | March 17, 2013 12:14 am

Lily wrote:
    would they want to see you?
    its all up to you.

Good one …. let’s flip a coin! Back in the day hell yeah…now? Depends. This lady has seen better looking days. I look like a chicken when I wake up now. ;)
    Ask Calo….I think I’m ugly.

96 | March 17, 2013 12:16 am

CW was a grateful head

96. Lily
    97 | March 17, 2013 12:16 am

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJT0Suanqhg

97. Lily
    98 | March 17, 2013 12:17 am

@ heysoos:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

99 | March 17, 2013 12:18 am

@ Lily:

maybe they are after a good buscuit recipe?

100 | March 17, 2013 12:19 am

CW was a grateful head

do check some robert randolph, i think you will like

100. rain of lead
    101 | March 17, 2013 12:21 am

hey ya’ll
    well if this is a drinkin thread and a drinkin holiday is comming then we must have this

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZbN_nmxAGk

101. Lily
    102 | March 17, 2013 12:22 am

@ Lily:
    maybe they are after a good buscuit recipe?

Little green men …. no, no, no! I’d have a freak out…so no shrooms for me. I’d freak! I knew back then and know it now. Yikes!

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4uvS9l-FcQ

103 | March 17, 2013 12:22 am

@ rain of lead:

if rain is here….

103. Calo
    104 | March 17, 2013 12:22 am

@ Lily:
    Good God Lily, you were a beautiful woman all curled up in a hospital bed minus your finest shoes and post Open Heart surgery.

Again, the pleasure is all mine to call you my friend in real life.

105 | March 17, 2013 12:23 am

that cat is really under appreciated by the mainstream, typical of the blues…he works really hard and can flat out play

105. Lily
    106 | March 17, 2013 12:24 am

@ rain of lead:

RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! How the hell are you doing????? You can tune a piano but you can’t tuna fish!!! ;)

107 | March 17, 2013 12:24 am

@ Lily:

reo was a skosh before my time. i saw them with blue oyster cult a few years ago.

they were fantastic

108 | March 17, 2013 12:25 am

@ rain of lead:
    if rain is here….

i’m breakn out the 18 single malt

108. rain of lead
    109 | March 17, 2013 12:25 am

@ rain of lead:

note of interest
    the record company did NOT want to make this vid…at all
    there was NO money for it
    rick schroder(the soldier) BEGGED brad p to let him make it
    they practicaly paid for it out of their own pockets

109. eaglesoars
    110 | March 17, 2013 12:25 am

@ heysoos:

lobo91 took your name in vain last nite. He said you don’t like the Eagles.

Then we started to wonder if it was the band or the football team.

So?

110. 111 | March 17, 2013 12:26 am

Danny Boy, played by jazz great Maynard Ferguson

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kousGJgHt4

111. rain of lead
    112 | March 17, 2013 12:28 am

@ heysoos:

hey ya’ll
    just been busy as a one legged man at an ass-kickin contest
    got some vaca time coming up so I’m taking momcat and the girl down to the gulf for a few days

112. Lily
    113 | March 17, 2013 12:28 am

@ Calo:

You are going to make me cry!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so nice to say! I just feel like I’m not aging well….very insecure ..you know that by now!
    Now something happy to you my friend…gosh we are alike except for the you know I’m very challenged in my height. ;)

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-7XPCNrD5Y

114 | March 17, 2013 12:29 am

@ eaglesoars:
    football Eagles…from that godforsaken Philadelphia town…I hate those guys

114. 115 | March 17, 2013 12:31 am

The Wild Rover

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYPuz0EYPSo

115. rain of lead
    116 | March 17, 2013 12:32 am

heh
    from one shorty to another
    (this came out when I was in jr h.s.

and I hate this F-ing song

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFmv22ghzQw

116. Lily
    117 | March 17, 2013 12:32 am

they were fantastic

Yes they were….they were cool …..and awesome…

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l9ZbnzUUKg

117. eaglesoars
    118 | March 17, 2013 12:32 am

@ eaglesoars:
    football Eagles…from that godforsaken Philadelphia town…I hate those guys

heh. Thought so. Told him that even if you didn’t like the Eagles’ music you would never disrespect their talent.

Lobo doesn’t know much about football apparently, so I clued him into that thug Dirty Waters.

Just wanted to be sure.

118. rain of lead
    119 | March 17, 2013 12:33 am

here is a fun drinking song in honor of st paddys day

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orh0kV31Bi4

119. Lily
    120 | March 17, 2013 12:34 am

@ rain of lead:

I was 16 when that came out…never liked it or disliked it…let’s just say I didn’t buy it…so that says a whole lot. ;)

121 | March 17, 2013 12:35 am

@ mfhorn:

now pay attention all yinz. the hardest song in the western world to sing:

go ahead…try:

happy st pats.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfngKaaDVro

luke never loses his breath.

121. Lily
    122 | March 17, 2013 12:37 am

@ rain of lead:

Down to the gulf…you can’t go wrong….my living area….

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIjUY3pjN8E

123 | March 17, 2013 12:41 am

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGCMfprPJoA

the same band,

123. rain of lead
    124 | March 17, 2013 12:42 am

loves me some ccr
    my running buddies from high school made susie q as our party anthem
    (yeah, there is a story there)

124. Lily
    125 | March 17, 2013 12:43 am

@ rain of lead:
    if rain is here….
    i’m breakn out the 18 single malt

18? Oh that reminds me of this then….don’t know why I like this song …but I do.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qHWJML0Skg

125. rain of lead
    126 | March 17, 2013 12:45 am

ummm
    does that good old Irish drinkin song come with lyrics
    cause I couldn’t understand a word he said

126. Lily
    127 | March 17, 2013 12:45 am

rain of lead wrote:

loves me some ccr
    my running buddies from high school made susie q as our party anthem
    (yeah, there is a story there)

Oh man you have no idea how close suzie Q is close to my name…and I am called that at times too. Small world!!!

127. 128 | March 17, 2013 12:46 am

Hell, I couldn’t sing that if I had the lyrics in front of me.

129 | March 17, 2013 12:47 am

well.

an 18 single malt from the outers….

i might counter with

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw2o_Go4QWI

130 | March 17, 2013 12:49 am

rain of lead wrote:

ummm
    does that good old Irish drinkin song come with lyrics
    cause I couldn’t understand a word he said

In the merry month of June from my home I started left the girls
    Me darling mother drank a pint of beer, my grief and tears to
    Smother then off to reap the corn, leave where I was born cut
    A stout blackthorn to banish ghosts and goblin, brand-new
    Pair of brogues, rattling o’er the bogs frightening all the dogs

Of Taum nearly brokenhearted saluted me father dear, kissed
    In Mullingar last night, I rested limbs so weary started by
    On the rocky road to Dublin.
    To keep me heart from sinking that’s the daddy’s cure when
    Daylight next morning bright and early took a drop of the pure
    He’s on the drinking see the lassies smile, laughing all the
    While at me darling style, would set your heart a-bubblin’
    Asked me was I hired, wages I required ’til I was almost tired
    Of the rocky road to Dublin.

Hunt the hare and turn her down the rocky road and all the
    Chorus:
    Way to Dublin, whack-fol-la-de-da!

In Dublin next arrived, I thought it such a pity to be so soon
    Deprived a view of that fine city decided to take a stroll all
    Among the quality bundle, it was stole in that neat locality
    Something crossed my mind when I looked behind no bundle
    Could I find upon me stick a-wobblin’ crying for a rogue said
    To Dublin.
    Me connaught brogue wasn’t much in-vogue on the rocky road

From there I got away, me spirits never failing landed on the
    Quay just as the ship was sailing captain at me roared, said
    That no room had he then I jumped aboard a cabin found for
    Daddy down among the pigs, played some funny rigs, danced
    Wished myself was dead or better far instead on the rocky
    Road to Dublin.
    Some hearty jigs, the water ’round me bubblin’ off to hollyhead

Fool, I could no longer stand it blood began to boil, temper
    The boys in Liverpool, when we safely landed called myself a
    Me soul, says I, let the shellaillagh fly some galway boys
    I was losing poor old Erin’s Isle they began abusing hooray
    Were nigh, saw I was a-hobblin’ with a loud array, they joined
    Me in the fray and soon we cleared the way on the rocky road
    To Dublin

130. Lily
    131 | March 17, 2013 12:50 am

eaglesoars wrote:

@ eaglesoars:
    football Eagles…from that godforsaken Philadelphia town…I hate those guys
    Just wanted to be sure.

Eagles??? My all time favorite song of theirs…there is a story to it…but I’m not talking!
    I don’t care what anyone says this is a good song. There I said it! Just hope a damn coon (raccoon) doesn’t fall on you if you disagree with me. ;)

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmmWJBwxvz0

131. rain of lead
    132 | March 17, 2013 12:50 am

@ Lily:

heh, much drunken….stuff was commited at the playing of susie q

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mxaA-bJ35s

132. 133 | March 17, 2013 12:50 am

:D

133. rain of lead
    134 | March 17, 2013 12:52 am

hahahaha
    you too ?
    maybe someday when the statute of limitations expires

hahahahahaha

135 | March 17, 2013 12:52 am

rain of lead wrote:

mfhorn wrote:

Hell, I couldn’t sing that if I had the lyrics in front of me.

THAT my laddies IS the real irish boozin song.

136 | March 17, 2013 12:55 am

mfhorn wrote:

it goes like this

Drop Kick Murphies:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhVqit0I4EU

136. 137 | March 17, 2013 12:56 am

@ Lily:
    Gonna rumble tonight, boy.

137. Lily
    138 | March 17, 2013 12:59 am

@ rain of lead:

This song is one I remember I was drunk as a skunk..and I don’t drink. My head was spinning to this one. Now ladies and gents this was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day. The only thing I drink now is ice tea and soda’s. Someone get a Bible so I can swear to that!
    But back in the day lime daiquiri on the rocks could kick your rear..

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKXseagzH8w

138. 139 | March 17, 2013 1:00 am

@ eaglesoars:
    “Beyond the pale” is an overused phrase. On the other hand, I enjoy the etymology of obscure idioms.

139. eaglesoars
    140 | March 17, 2013 1:01 am

Bunk X wrote:

On the other hand, I enjoy the etymology of obscure idioms.

glad you liked it

140. 141 | March 17, 2013 1:01 am

Czech yinzbox.

141. Lily
    142 | March 17, 2013 1:02 am

@ Lily:
    Gonna rumble tonight, boy.

Damn straight Bunk….just make sure that damn coon doesn’t fall on you….bad things happen…or good things coon gumbo! ;)
    /plus pink is a good color for me too.

142. 143 | March 17, 2013 1:02 am

Rodan happens. :D I usually can’t keep up with him.

144 | March 17, 2013 1:03 am

@ eaglesoars:

me too.

145 | March 17, 2013 1:05 am

UP THE REPUBLIC!

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yr0nwIX_gc

145. 146 | March 17, 2013 1:06 am

@ Lily:
    Bookmark this and save it for later.
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uUpRCKtAw8

146. Lily
    147 | March 17, 2013 1:06 am

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRiaroLhTEo

147. Lily
    148 | March 17, 2013 1:07 am

@ Bunk X:

I know that album back and front….thanks and I will bookmark it! :)

149 | March 17, 2013 1:08 am

Bunk X wrote:

Rodan happens. I usually can’t keep up with him.

we might go to rodan in the spring.

149. 150 | March 17, 2013 1:09 am

@ Lily:
    Tell the whole story. I stopped eventually. Sorry.

151 | March 17, 2013 1:10 am

@ Bunk X:

hey yo.

this is all schmutzed up. can we get a new thread?

151. Lily
    152 | March 17, 2013 1:10 am

Bunk X wrote:

Rodan happens. I usually can’t keep up with him.

The few times I went on the radio show we talk over each other. In the south you got your slow talkers and fast talkers…nothing in between. Nothing. Although Rodan is a transplant …you adapt to the south and take on it’s ways. The circle of life.

153 | March 17, 2013 1:11 am

Czech yinzbox.

ok

153. Lily
    154 | March 17, 2013 1:12 am

@ Lily:
    Tell the whole story. I stopped eventually. Sorry.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

154. 155 | March 17, 2013 1:14 am

@ Calo:
    One of the prettiest songs the Stones did. Mick does that rummy windmill.
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja2evWhGWHA
    It just dawned on me that I can keep commenting on this thread by re-using the same post tonight by updating it. Cool. Saves a lot of trouble.

Pray for Dolores Gonzales Perez.

Dody was diagnosed with multiple cancers recently, and decided to forgo chemotherapy. The missus and I saw her last Thursday. She was able to talk, and I made her laugh a bit before her meds kicked in.

Her prescriptions are enough to kill a person – morphine injections, morphine patch, morphine pills.

Dody was cool. She did sexy voice overs for commercials, and she was good looking, too. 5 foot 10 or so and busty, she was one of the few women who could have made me stray…

156 | March 17, 2013 1:15 am

:::

well…golf….

i’ll get with ya

156. Lily
    157 | March 17, 2013 1:15 am

@ Lily:

I never called the police on you at least. :)

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXzFCS72QIA

158 | March 17, 2013 1:17 am

Lily wrote:

rodan is not a circle of life.

nope

158. Calo
    159 | March 17, 2013 1:18 am

@ Bunk X:
    It’s 42 fuc*ing minutes long. Really, can you post an Idiot’s Guide?

159. Lily
    160 | March 17, 2013 1:18 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now that there is funny!
    /don’t tell him I said that though.

160. Lily
    161 | March 17, 2013 1:21 am

@ Bunk X:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJY8jJkDoMY

161. Lily
    162 | March 17, 2013 1:25 am

Calo wrote:

@ Bunk X:
    It’s 42 fuc*ing minutes long. Really, can you post an Idiot’s Guide?

Hey, hey, hey!

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bpOBAwrFVw

162. Lily
    163 | March 17, 2013 1:28 am

Damn everyone has passed out…and left me alone. It’s a cruel world I tell ya!

164 | March 17, 2013 1:29 am

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3QE22ZsWE

164. Calo
    165 | March 17, 2013 1:31 am

@ Bunk X:
    Some nights deserve a distraction, albeit, a bit awkward.

Prayers for Dody’s family and friends.
    May she have a gentle passing on.

165. Lily
    166 | March 17, 2013 1:33 am

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhbN1LCDcAM

167 | March 17, 2013 1:33 am

nope

167. Lily
    168 | March 17, 2013 1:35 am

@ Bunk X:

Prayers sent…and #166 posted for ya!

168. Lily
    169 | March 17, 2013 1:36 am

nope

It’s an Irish and Scottish miracle!!!!! :)

171 | March 17, 2013 1:42 am

wt hell

172 | March 17, 2013 1:43 am

000000

173 | March 17, 2013 1:45 am

hmmm,

90 s

172. Lily
    174 | March 17, 2013 1:46 am

wt hell

This is the problem….it’s bad for sure.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAzTnsSgs2s

175 | March 17, 2013 1:46 am

Pretoria, you were always there
    Because you lay in my vault I call you my home
    I never forget your name
    Pretoria, asking if my child
    Is the name so much so bitter and bad
    Why throw you away

And I know that the country should exist
    together,
    But it hurts so many people
    If all those old names perish
    Pretoria, Pretoria, I’ll never forget your name

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMcIV0JvTfw

174. Lily
    176 | March 17, 2013 1:48 am

wt hell

It gets strange late at night…and fun…

175. Lily
    177 | March 17, 2013 1:56 am

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4

176. Lily
    178 | March 17, 2013 2:01 am

Okay I’m done for the evening…nite all!

179 | March 17, 2013 2:11 am

wanz is gonna get big

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktCWU6R-CNk

put it down now

180 | March 17, 2013 2:42 am

So I just noticed, there’s three of those hounds in that Celtic doohickie…

It’s a TRISKEL!

Like AWB!

And Tennessee!

Chuck Sees Neo Not Sees!

179. 181 | March 17, 2013 2:57 am

Lily wrote:
    rodan is not a circle of life.
    nope

Oh c’mon. Chicks dig him. Rodan is a pretzel of life.

182 | March 17, 2013 2:58 am

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zalndXdxriI

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHkr4pb8Hcc

181. 183 | March 17, 2013 3:04 am

@ Lily:
    Thanks for the memories. You a John Prine fan?
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DYQe454YVs

182. 184 | March 17, 2013 3:09 am

@ The Osprey:
    :D Snamp me!

183. 185 | March 17, 2013 4:04 am

@ The Osprey:
    The Prisoner. No. 6 could never get his mind right, so they kept making him dig invisible holes.
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fuDDqU6n4o

184. 186 | March 17, 2013 4:17 am

Not dead yet, eh?

My relatives may have taken part in the Easter Rebellion, but my direct ancestors were alread here in America. But I suspect the Easter Rebellion was pretty small stuff in County Leitrim andyway. Still the poorest, least populous county in Ireland.

185. 187 | March 17, 2013 4:58 am

Okay, now it’s dead.

The wife’s family tree, OTOH, is English. English, English, English, with just a bit of English thrown in for variety, as far back as records go. And for her main descent lines, they go back pretty damned far. All kinds of interesting relatives, including George Washington and Daniel Morgan, all documented to DAR standards.

186. BatGuano
    188 | March 17, 2013 5:09 am

@ Mike C.:
    That is fascinating. I’m always interested in these kind of facts. Washington and Morgan (hero of Cowpens) were great American heroes. I wish all Americans were aware of what it took to create this country and what their ancestors did to effect that.

187. 189 | March 17, 2013 5:28 am

@ eaglesoars:
    The Celtic term “bean sidhe” is prounounced “beyan ishee” and is the word known as “banshee.”

188. 190 | March 17, 2013 5:31 am

Lemme know. I might be in the area.

189. 191 | March 17, 2013 5:35 am

@ BatGuano:

After the war, Morgan came back to this area and built and operated a mill near Berryville, VA. One of the wife’s brothers (the gun nut one, and my personal favorite amongst her siblings) had a big hand in restoring that mill a number of years back – very cool. Our town here is where Washington had his office (still standing) back when he was starting out and working as a surveyor for Lord Fairfax. We’re up to our everlovings in history in these parts. A number of Mort Kunstler paintings (http://mortkunstler.com/) depict loacal and town scenes, and it’s easy to spot excactly where they are, as many of the buildings are still here.

190. BatGuano
    192 | March 17, 2013 5:55 am

@ Mike C.:
    Wow! I love these historical facts. We shouldn’t forget our history.I believe that wellington,at Waterloo, learned from Morgan to keep troops concealed behind hills to surprise enemy troops.

191. BatGuano
    193 | March 17, 2013 6:16 am

Alrighty, then. Sorry I woke anyone up.

192. 194 | March 17, 2013 6:18 am

Oh, I’m still here. JUst reading other things to raise my blood pressure. No shortage of that stuff these days, you know.

193. BatGuano
    195 | March 17, 2013 6:24 am

@ Mike C.:
    Yes I know. We have a very dangerous president, the economy is stagnant, the Dow appears to be racing toward a bubble, artificially low interest rates, etc.

194. mawskrat
    196 | March 17, 2013 6:25 am

Good Mornin All….and CJ can go eat carp//

The Great Green Con no. 1: The hard proof that finally shows global warming forecasts that are costing you billions were WRONG all along

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2294560/The-great-green-1-The-hard-proof-finally-shows-global-warming-forecasts-costing-billions-WRONG-along.html#ixzz2Nn86UieN
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

195. 197 | March 17, 2013 6:30 am

@ BatGuano:

Drones, gun confiscation, police militarization, etc., etc., etc. Got ammo?

@ mawskrat:

Read WUWT. The latest version of the “Hocky Stick” has already been shot down, and ClimateGate 3.0 e-mails are being reviewed. And the latter is just as bad as 1.0 and 2.0.

196. BatGuano
    198 | March 17, 2013 6:43 am

@ Mike C.:
    The Mann hockey stick has been proven a fraud. why do these bastards keep doing this? Rhetorical question.

197. 199 | March 17, 2013 6:47 am

@ The Osprey:

selrahC probably sees a Beast with Three Backs!

198. 200 | March 17, 2013 7:08 am

@ BatGuano:

Well, this time it’s Marcotte et al, and once again, Steve McIntyre blows their shit away.

199. 201 | March 17, 2013 8:14 am

My second try at Irish soda bread is in the oven…

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzA8ZyX3lgU

202 | March 17, 2013 8:55 am

Goood morning & Happy St. Pats.
    Today is a true celestial covergence, St. Patricks Day
    & March Madness Brackets Sunday.
    ‘Schwing!

201. mawskrat
    203 | March 17, 2013 9:00 am

gees I thought section8 was bad…..

‘Get me back to Belgravia’: Mother of six demands she is rehoused in exclusive suburb after a cap on housing benefit forced her out of £2MILLION home

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2294693/Get-Belgravia–Mother-demands-rehoused-exclusive-suburb-cap-housing-benefit-forced-2MILLION-home.html#ixzz2Nnl2fzZZ
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

202. mawskrat
    204 | March 17, 2013 9:08 am

you can have the B..ball/ A couple of football contests
    on Fox Soccer Channel today

205 | March 17, 2013 9:10 am

mawskrat wrote:

you can have the B..ball/ A couple of football contests
    on Fox Soccer Channel today

?

the real men finished yesterday ;)

wales is the 6 nations champs.

give blood,
    play rugby.

206 | March 17, 2013 9:14 am

Today is a true celestial covergence, St. Patricks Day
    & March Madness Brackets Sunday.

a very high holy day indeed!

the prophet dickie vitale shall appear today and give us insight into the murky times ahead.

205. 207 | March 17, 2013 9:17 am

@ mawskrat:

More than a little ridiculous. And outrageous. Kind of like the assorted imams who are living on the taxpayer dime with multiple wives & kids, while ranting about the evils of anyone who isn’t Muslim.

208 | March 17, 2013 9:17 am

mawskrat wrote:

you can have the B..ball/ A couple of football contests
    on Fox Soccer Channel today

Interesting.

209 | March 17, 2013 9:20 am

Today is a true celestial covergence, St. Patricks Day
    & March Madness Brackets Sunday.

a very high holy day indeed!

Amen. Verily the prognosticator of prognosticators Dick Vitale,
    shall reveal the future. Baby!

208. mawskrat
    210 | March 17, 2013 9:21 am

save the baby whales/////

congrats to wales on a great season!

209. 211 | March 17, 2013 9:23 am

Well, this loaf of soda bread turned out a little more shapely, at least. How it tastes I’ll have to get secondhand, because I baked it for the younger daughter, who’s birthday is today.

212 | March 17, 2013 9:27 am

mawskrat wrote:

save the baby whales/////
    congrats to wales on a great season!

cardiff is hung-over this morning

213 | March 17, 2013 9:27 am

@ Mike C.:

soda bread is a PITA to get right.

214 | March 17, 2013 9:29 am

jeeze…10 yrs ago today i was i boston for the dropkick murphys anual st paddies day concert.

tempus fugit.

213. mawskrat
    215 | March 17, 2013 9:43 am

CW…I’m making a new asparagus bed this spring. it’s
    alot of work becuase you’re making it to last 15-20 years.
    the pay off is great though as I’ll be planting Jersy Giant
    crowns.

216 | March 17, 2013 9:53 am

mawskrat wrote:

CW…I’m making a new asparagus bed this spring. it’s
    alot of work becuase you’re making it to last 15-20 years.
    the pay off is great though as I’ll be planting Jersy Giant
    crowns.

you got the right soil for that?

217 | March 17, 2013 10:00 am

wisdom from gov palin:

“The last thing we need is Washington D.C. vetting our candidates,” she said, criticizing the GOP politicos who have had little success. And she referred to “the architects,” a none-too-subtle dig at Karl Rove, Stu Stevens, and others.

She wrapped up the speech with a call to action: “We deserve better than the people who call themselves our leaders,” she said. “But we won’t get it unless we’re ready to fight, and this is one fight that is worth it.”

216. mawskrat
    218 | March 17, 2013 10:02 am

yep….I’m making the right soil. my trench is about 30
    inches deep x about 25 feet long x 3 foot wide. I won’t be planting
    the crowns untill this fall though I have them started
    in buckets already

217. 219 | March 17, 2013 10:20 am

@ Mike C.:
    soda bread is a PITA to get right.

I tasted it over at the daughter’s – I think I got it right this time. With a bit of assist from TGoP, who actually knows how to bake stuff.

220 | March 17, 2013 10:34 am

There was just a former GOP Congressman, LaTureete who now heads some
    interest group.
    He is really Old Guard & blames the Tea Party for no budget comprimise
    and for losing the Presidency.
    The Republican mainstream is losing its grip & I get the feeling that they
    would rather lose elections than see the new Tea Party members rise.

221 | March 17, 2013 10:54 am

Boehner: “Absolutely” Trusts Obama, Also Says U.S. Doesn’t Have Immediate Crisis In Terms Of Debt

One of the many reasons I never was or will be a Republican.

220. eaglesoars
    222 | March 17, 2013 11:05 am

I’m not sure that isn’t just a feint to keep the media sharks from feeding. It could be he doesn’t actually believe it.

Another interpretation: “I absolutely trust him to lie to my face every chance he gets”.

I could be wrong.

223 | March 17, 2013 11:13 am

@ eaglesoars:
    I kind of take it the same way, at least I hope so.
    If Boehner actually trust Obama, he is naive in the extreme.

222. Calo
    224 | March 17, 2013 10:31 pm

@ Bunk X:
    That’s about my favorite song I have never heard. Thanks for posting it, Bunk.