by 1389AD ( 38 Comments › )
Filed under Open thread, Technology at March 21st, 2013 - 8:00 pm

On YouTube:

Published on Mar 4, 2013 by Pajamasmedia

Welcome aboard Air Whittle. Bill Whittle brings you a detailed description of what it takes to fly a jet from Los Angeles to New York City. While flying a modern jetliner is complicated, and difficult, it is done with amazing standards of safety. Hear the details on this Afterburner.

Tags: , ,

Comments

38 Responses to “The Window Seat: Bill Whittle gives a pilot’s eye view of a commercial airline flight”

1. brookly red
    1 | March 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Bullshit, it is completely automated

2 | March 21, 2013 9:21 pm

brookly red wrote:

Bullshit, it is completely automated

What is?

3 | March 21, 2013 9:31 pm

@ 1 brookly red: until you have to crash land it.

4 | March 21, 2013 9:40 pm

it’s so easy, a caveman could do it

5 | March 21, 2013 10:45 pm

Nothing new. Large multi-engine aircraft have been flying be the ‘numbers’ for years. Pilots ride along in case there are problems and have to figure out something on the fly.

6 | March 21, 2013 10:50 pm

heysoos wrote:

it’s so easy, a caveman could do it

Unless there’s a problem. That’s when the Pros earn their pay.

7 | March 21, 2013 10:52 pm

I want one of these!

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWcUiBMD90

8. Bob-Crotchit
    8 | March 21, 2013 10:55 pm

I never thought I’d root for a Lobos team, having hailed from SoCal for all too many years. Go Lobos.

9. 9 | March 21, 2013 10:57 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

heysoos wrote:
    it’s so easy, a caveman could do it

Unless there’s a problem. That’s when the Pros earn their pay.

Just about all their training has to do with recognizing, diagnosing, and handling things that might go wrong, in many possible combinations.

10. song_and_dance_man
    10 | March 21, 2013 11:08 pm

I’d like to own a squadron of tanks.

11 | March 21, 2013 11:09 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

I’d like to own a squadron of tanks.

Can I have the fuel supply contract for them?

12. rain of lead
    12 | March 21, 2013 11:10 pm

@ 1389AD:

yeah, like when a bird takes out your engine and you have to land
    in the freakin river

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G2TLqxWM04

13. song_and_dance_man
    13 | March 21, 2013 11:12 pm

Can I have the fuel supply contract for them?

Only if your corp logo doesn’t have a circle or a K

14. Suki Wong
    14 | March 21, 2013 11:15 pm

@ Bob-Crotchit:
    No, I’m rooting for the New Jersey Vikings NHL team lambasting the Canadian Kunucks (or, whatever they are called) while my rickshaw runner is rewinding the moneyshot play looking for a flag and 15 yards penalty.

{{Bob}}

15. song_and_dance_man
    15 | March 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Seriously now. The world as we know it is going catiwampus. I blame the ill-informed.

16. rain of lead
    16 | March 21, 2013 11:18 pm

bwahahahahahahahah
    betcha won’t see this shit on NBC news….
    hahahahahahaha
    scroll to the third picture down…
    HA…hahahahaha

Gazans Torch Obama Effigy – Protesters in Jordan Torch US Flag Before Obama

17 | March 21, 2013 11:20 pm

@ rain of lead:

Those people are so poor that they can’t even afford an actual US flag to burn.

18. Bob-Crotchit
    18 | March 21, 2013 11:21 pm

@ Suki Wong:

Babe, we were pon the sub jeck of bball. Vikings from Jersey are like Valley Girls from TJU.

19. Suki Wong
    19 | March 21, 2013 11:26 pm

@ Bob-Crotchit:
    I’ll just let you know right now Bob, I am furiously dialing up Jack and he will tell you all about my career at TJU as a couch hugger.

20. 20 | March 21, 2013 11:31 pm

@ Suki Wong:
    Hey Suki! The haus frau just woke me up and said someone called about a crotch or a couch or something. You’re the first one I thought of.

21. 21 | March 21, 2013 11:32 pm

@ Bob-Crotchit:
    Bob! Fancy meeting me here! Live around here often?

22. rain of lead
    22 | March 21, 2013 11:32 pm

the poster with Obama as Nixon just made me laugh my ass off
    and on that cheery note….

night all

23. Bob-Crotchit
    23 | March 21, 2013 11:41 pm

@ Jack Asbeiter:

OMG has we One chance?
    I grew up here

24. 24 | March 21, 2013 11:43 pm

@ Bob-Crotchit:
    You in the loops, Bob? I mean, you look a little damp and wrinkly. How long you been in the clubhouse this week?

25. Bob-Crotchit
    25 | March 21, 2013 11:44 pm

Suki Wong wrote:

@ Bob-Crotchit:

I was once furious, but then I realized I had more anger for anything that was anathema, based on that sragga-fragga.

26. 26 | March 21, 2013 11:49 pm

@ Bob-Crotchit:@ Suki Wong:
    Better fire up that percolator of yours, Suki. Bob don’t sound so good. I’ll grab some towels before he urps all over the couch.

27. Bob-Crotchit
    27 | March 21, 2013 11:50 pm

@ Jack Asbeiter:
    I’ve been in the treadmill. It’s a curricula thing. It’s a ways back from the Taxi and Baggies and Nahcos, but it motivates.

28. 28 | March 21, 2013 11:52 pm

@ Bob-Crotchit:
    Curricula? I don’t trust health foods. Give me gas.

29. Suki Wong
    29 | March 21, 2013 11:53 pm

@ Bob-Crotchit:
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious or whatever I am suppose to murmur in the parking lot behind the bathroom whenever Jack drags himself here for a guest appearance.

30. Suki Wong
    30 | March 21, 2013 11:57 pm

@ Bob-Crotchit:
    Bob, I understand you, broh. The treadmill of life, the circuit of bugeye light fixtures on back order. It’s paralyzing, damn it.

31. Bob-Crotchit
    31 | March 22, 2013 12:00 am

This is so great. Who else here has alternate nics that sometimes work?

Thank you. Charles Foster Kid Johnson out. /

32. Bob-Crotchit
    32 | March 22, 2013 12:05 am

@ Suki Wong:

My aoles are an extension of my soul, so when I walk there is something profound about where I trek. If only my tongue had a shoe.

33. 33 | March 22, 2013 12:05 am

@ Bob-Crotchit:
    You need socks? Thrift Shop.
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cnm0tdkJEU

34. Calo
    34 | March 22, 2013 12:31 am

Good night Bob, thanks for staying up so late tonight.

And Jack, grab a couch and enjoy your evening.

I’m out.

35. 35 | March 22, 2013 4:11 am

For Brookly Red…

You say you want some support for NY from the NRA? Here ya go…

Takes a while to put these things together, you know.

36. Guggi
    36 | March 22, 2013 5:01 am

Three Marines die in shootings at Quantico

An incident at Quantico Marine Corps Base Thursday night resulted in the deaths of three Marines, according to reports.

Military officials put the base on lockdown shortly after the initial incident at about 11 p.m. Thursday.

The Associated Press reported base spokesman Lt. Agustin Solivan said one Marine was killed in the initial incident. The suspected gunman and another Marine were found dead when authorities entered a barracks where the gunman had fled, the spokesman told the AP.

(…)

37. 37 | March 22, 2013 5:09 am

Good morning everyone. Ending the week, and a little more to come. Salmon Run, Steam Whistle Brewery, and a frozen harbour. It was a good day for interesting sights.

38. Aussie Infidel
    38 | March 23, 2013 11:14 pm

brookly red wrote:

Bullshit, it is completely automated

Yeah ! Riiiiight :)

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PCOcyt7BPI

i loved bring my passengers into Kai Tak. Hong kong.