Saturday Lecture Series: Open Thread

by coldwarrior ( 39 Comments › )
Filed under Academia, College Basketball, Open thread, saturday lecture series at March 23rd, 2013 - 8:00 am

Sorry all. Got called out to work. The quick turnaround last night left me no time to post a lecture.

Enjoy this March Madness Open Thread.

Comments

39 Responses to “Saturday Lecture Series: Open Thread”

1. 1 | March 23, 2013 8:36 am

Wow. Makes me wish I had something worthwhile to say.

2 | March 23, 2013 9:09 am

I got a nifty new LaserLyte laser sight for my LC9. Only $100 from Amazon as opposed to $288 for the Crimson Trace. It’s a side mount and works every bit as well as the Crimson. Also came with 4 replacement batteries.

3. 3 | March 23, 2013 9:22 am

This will be good if he can pass it:

Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, will offer an amendment to the Democrats’ fiscal 2014 budget resolution that seeks to require a two-thirds majority for the passage of any gun control legislation in the Senate.

The amendment by Lee, a member of the Judiciary Committee who has tea party backing, comes ahead of the biggest floor debate on gun control in nearly two decades. Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., announced Thursday that he would bring a package of gun-related bills to the floor during the week of April 8, when lawmakers return from their two-week spring recess.

Lee’s amendment, which his office provided to CQ Roll Call, features a broad definition of gun control and seeks to require a 67-vote supermajority threshold for passage of a number of the proposals that are expected to be debated on the floor next month.

Sounds good to me. If Harry Reid couldn’t get 40 votes for the “Assault Weapons” Ban, he won;t be able to get a supermajority for anything gun control related.

4. 4 | March 23, 2013 9:23 am

@ huckfunn:

Will that fit in the Sneaky Pete holster?

Never mind -- they do make one to fit that. No laser on my LC9, but I insist on the extended magazine baseplate.

5 | March 23, 2013 9:35 am

@ Mike C.:
    Yep. The extended mag is a perfect rest for my pinkie. I’ve got 3 of them (extended mags; just 2 pinkies).

6. 6 | March 23, 2013 9:41 am

huckfunn wrote:

@ Mike C.:

I had to bump my number of magazines for it up to 5. I have to be able to get 3 fingers on the grip to do any good with it. Not a problem with the Beretta 92, but the LC9 is my default for warm weather carry. The Beretta requires a shoulder holster and a jacket for concealement -- not good here in July and August. That’s why I like that Sneaky Pete holster -- looks like a large cell phone case. Nobody would give that a second glance these days, and there’s no need to dress around it.

7 | March 23, 2013 9:41 am

That might just work. I think that there’s a group of red state dems that would love the cover that such an amendment would provide them when gun control comes up. In fact, I wonder if any dims collaborated with Lee behind the scenes in writing that amendment.

8 | March 23, 2013 9:47 am

@ Mike C.:
    I might just get myself a Sneaky Pete.

9. 9 | March 23, 2013 9:51 am

huckfunn wrote:

@ Mike C.:
    I might just get myself a Sneaky Pete.

I think I’ll order one today myself. Thinking about the clip rather than the loop, because you can switch it from side to side easily depending on whether you’re the driver of a car or in the passenger seat. Having the seat belt over it would render it useless.

10. 10 | March 23, 2013 9:54 am

We got a defacto gun thread here. Oh woe!

11 | March 23, 2013 10:04 am

@ Mike C.:
    I’ve thought about clip vs loop. My concern is that under certain circumstances the clip could come unclipped and then I’d be a screwed dewd.

12. eaglesoars
    12 | March 23, 2013 10:25 am

Mike C. wrote:

@ huckfunn:
    Will that fit in the Sneaky Pete holster?
    Never mind — they do make one to fit that. No laser on my LC9, but I insist on the extended magazine baseplate.

I see someone kindly remembered us southpaws. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the last time I wore a belt

13. 13 | March 23, 2013 10:49 am

@ eaglesoars:

I can’t remember the last time I didn’t wear a belt.

14. 14 | March 23, 2013 10:54 am

huckfunn wrote:

@ Mike C.:

The loops are more secure, no doubt about that. I guess it wouldn’t take but a minute to yank the belt, switch the holster to the other side, and get the belt back right again. OTOH, the clip arrangement would be easier if one had to leave the gun in the car, stuffed under the seat or some such. Here you can carry in a place that serves booze, but you can’t have any yourself. So if you were planning on having a glass of wine with dinner, best not be carrying.

15 | March 23, 2013 10:55 am

@ Mike C.:

Twice in the past year I’ve forgotten to belt up my pants, and both times I was forced to construct one out of twisted up duct tape.

No belt = no tool pouch.

No tool pouch = much less effective me.

16. 16 | March 23, 2013 11:07 am

@ Bumr50:

Hmm… I would think a tool pouch would be on a seperate belt. OTOH, I don’t own one, so what the hell do I know?

I could always just stuff the LC9 or the 637 in the right front pocket of my jeans (either will fit), but that’s neither comfortable nor a particularly good idea.

17 | March 23, 2013 11:11 am

@ Mike C.:

My little brother just got a job here.

He moves out to Idaho next month.

I’m sure they make some suitable clothing for your needs.

18. 18 | March 23, 2013 11:17 am

Mike C. wrote:

@ Bumr50:

I actually have both kinds. My old Construction pouches (commonly referred to as nail bags) had their own belt, but my maintenance pouches required a belt.

19. 19 | March 23, 2013 11:28 am

Bumr50 wrote:

@ Mike C.:
    My little brother just got a job here.
    He moves out to Idaho next month.
    I’m sure they make some suitable clothing for your needs.

No, see, now that’s the whole point. I dress like I dress, and at my age, I have no intention of changing. So only solutions that work with what I already wear are acceptable. A shoulder rig can work in cool weather where I’m going to wear a jacket anyway, and allows carrying full-sized weapons. I bought the LC9 specifically because it could be carried otherwise, and that oversized phone case solution is perfect, so long as you have a belt on, even if it’s on a pair of shorts.

I hate shopping for clothes, and I’m sure not going to go out and buy special clothes just to carry. I know a lot of people who do, and good on them, but it’s not my curmudgeounly thing.

20. 20 | March 23, 2013 11:31 am

Used to wear one of those construction bags myself, way back when.

21. 21 | March 23, 2013 11:36 am

Mike C. wrote:

Used to wear one of those construction bags myself, way back when.

Back before it was a law that you had to be an illegal alien to work in the construction industry I presume… :shock: :twisted:

22. 22 | March 23, 2013 11:37 am

Actually, my SiL is fairly typical of some people I know. Carries a compact Glock. And it “prints.” And he doesn’t care. Which is okay, I guess. Hell, open carry is legal here. I tend to be a bit more conservative on the issue.

23. 23 | March 23, 2013 11:38 am

doriangrey wrote:

Mike C. wrote:
    Used to wear one of those construction bags myself, way back when.

Ayup. Back in college. Weren’t a lot of Hispanics in VA back then, legal or otherwise.

24 | March 23, 2013 11:39 am

@ Mike C.:

I can see these clothes for folks who travel by air on a regular basis. (By regular, I mean more than five or six times a month)

That’s pretty much who they’re advertising to, along with young techies that always have at least three gadgets on them.

I was just sort of pimping little bro’s new company.

The site loads slow, and he’s going to be head of IT.

I’d also be surprised if Big Sis doesn’t have a problem with them manufacturing clothes designed expressly for massive concealment. Not that I think that’s a good thing -- just observing the behavior of the Obama cabinet. More work for an already incompetent TSA.

25. 25 | March 23, 2013 11:49 am

@ Bumr50:

Never tried to take a gun anywhere on an aiplane. Legally, I mean.

26. 26 | March 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Mike C. wrote:

@ Bumr50:
    Never tried to take a gun anywhere on an aiplane. Legally, I mean.

When one considers that the only thing keeping an airplane in the air is the lack of Islamic terrorist on the plane, and that it is illegal to deny them the religious expression of blowing airplanes up… I think that I am rather content to not do any flying… :twisted: (Now as long as the airplane doesn’t land on me :shock: )

27. 27 | March 23, 2013 12:13 pm

Well, if you live in the US and you next paycheck is in China or Bolivia, there aren’t a whole lot of options…

28. 28 | March 23, 2013 12:14 pm

@ Mike C.:

Of course, you couldn’t legally take a gun to either of those places.

29. Lily
    29 | March 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Mike C. wrote:

Wow. Makes me wish I had something worthwhile to say.

Same here…but I got nothing.

30. Lily
    30 | March 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

No belt = no tool pouch.
    No tool pouch = much less effective me.

An unfortunate happening there.

31. Lily
    31 | March 23, 2013 1:30 pm

Mike C. wrote:

Bumr50 wrote:
    @ Mike C.:
    My little brother just got a job here.
    He moves out to Idaho next month.
    I’m sure they make some suitable clothing for your needs.

Uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? I understand your dilemma. I don’t care for clothes shopping either because they don’t have what I have in mind or the correct size. But I do believe in make-overs…which I needed one just recently. I have one word…internet. Awesome. Found everything I needed and oh…. more. Correct size, correct style and just what I needed and didn’t need. ;)

32. Lily
    33 | March 23, 2013 1:32 pm

Ooooooooooooooh this thread is dead….

33. Calo
    34 | March 23, 2013 1:39 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Celebrate “Energy” Hour Tonight from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM Local

Make me celebrate the occasion.

34. Moe Katz
    35 | March 23, 2013 1:42 pm

I’d celebrate Energy Hour but I don’t have the energy.

CW, this article referencing the Pens might be of interest to you.

35. Lily
    36 | March 23, 2013 2:00 pm

@ Calo:

The thread upstairs might ….maybe….might not…could be? ;)

37 | March 23, 2013 6:56 pm

@ Moe Katz:

When I think “moneyball,” the Pens don’t come to mind.

This team was built primarily through the draft.

I doubt the analytics would’ve told them to pick up Chris
    Kunitz or Pascal Dupuis.

James Neal was a GREAT pickup, and so I guess they worked -- but only because the TEAM needed a big winger with a good shot due to having the two two talented centers in hockey.

Thanks for the linkage, though!

I just think the writer is streeeeeetching the word “Moneyball” here into something it’s not.

38 | March 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

the two two most talented centers in hockey.

38. Moe Katz
    39 | March 23, 2013 7:23 pm

@ Bumr50:
    I think your skepticism is well founded, personally.