Tips for Buying Your First Handgun

by huckfunn ( 22 Comments › )
Filed under Education, Open thread, Special Report, Weapons at March 24th, 2013 - 10:38 am

Yay! A gun thread that actually starts off as a gun thread. Here are some commonsense tips for anyone who is unfamiliar with firearms but is contemplating buying a handgun. The original title of the article is “Tips for Women Buying Their First Handgun”, but the tips Ms. Foxwell offers are not really gender specific and would apply equally to men and women.

Price

You get what you pay for and you also pay for what you get.

There are a few misnomers out there but largely a solid, reliable pistol will cost in- between $400-$600 and slightly less for a revolver. You may have to do a bit of shopping but there is no reason to stray outside of your budget.

A week after I decided to purchase a handgun, I bought a pistol for $250 and I thought it was an amazing deal. After going to the range to shoot my new gun I decided I hated handguns period. It took a year to find out I simply did not own the right handgun for me.

Simplicity =Reliability

The simpler it is to break down and clean your firearm the more often you will do it, and that makes for a reliable firearm.

I fell in love with a gun when I saw my first Kimber. However it was complex to disassemble and that meant it would be a very dirty gun if it were mine. Maintenance is much of what makes the difference in reliability. Be honest with yourself; if it makes you nuts to put it back together how often will you take it apart? Buy something simple to use and maintain.

Read the entire article here.  Hat tip The Daily Caller

Comments

22 Responses to “Tips for Buying Your First Handgun”

1. Prebanned
    1 | March 24, 2013 11:38 am

Definately buy a a good quality firearm.
    Ask your friends who enjoy firearms for advice, offer to buy the ammo and they will probably take you to a gun range and let you shoot thier firearms.
    You should shoot your firearm regularly, I spend more in ammo than I do on firearms so spending an extra 100-200 to purchase a high quality firearm makes good sense.
    Enjoy your constitutional rights!

2. 2 | March 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Point 1 -- If you can actually make sense of a sewing machine, you’re fully qualified to operate and maintain virtually any gun you can buy. Sewing machines are more complicated.

Point 2 -- Resign yourself to making mistakes or changing your mind. While you should of course try to make the right decision out of the box, your intentions may easily change over time. That’s why so many gun owners own multiple guns. No one gun, even if you like it, is right for every purpose.

Point 3 -- When asking others for advice, try this. Tell them you want to buy a gun and ask them what they recommend. If the first thing out of their mouth isn’t something along the lines of “What do you want to use it for, and under what circumstances?”, go ask somebody else. See Point 2 above.

Point 4 -- As mentioned, quality counts. There’s a galaxy of quality weapons out there of every size, shape and description, but there’s also a good deal of crap. Find out which is which.

Point 5 -- Practice, practice, practice. Okay, a bit harder and more expensive to do now than it was a year ago, due to ammo shortages and price, but it’s still necessary. Caliber and muzzle energy can be important, but hitting what you are aiming at is more important still.

And a final Point 6 -- Start small if you’re new. Yes, it is possible to start on handguns with a true hand cannon and get it. But it’s one hell of a lot easier (and generally cheaper) to work your way up. Gun shops generally have a good supply of lightly-used heavy caliber handguns bought by newbies that wanted the baddest thing they could get and found out the hard and expensive way how difficult they were to handle and how expensive they were to feed. This relates back to trying before you buy. Don’t let anybody talk you into more gun than you feel comfortable firing.

3. brookly red
    3 | March 24, 2013 12:32 pm

@ Mike C.:

Point 7 I live in NYC :(

4. eaglesoars
    4 | March 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Point 8: (apologies in advance to brookly). The NRA provides some of the best training you can get. And it’s damn near free.

Point 9: Don’t be afraid to be afraid when you first start. In my first class, there were people who were so embarrassed by their fear they refused to even fire (and they were headed for Kabul!). My knees shook but my instructor had seen it before. He braced me from behind for the first cylinder -- after that I was fine. Aced the test.

5. brookly red
    5 | March 24, 2013 12:53 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

none required, NYC has not been part of America for as long as I can remember… I hope that someday the courts will rectify this but I am not holding my breath.

6. brookly red
    6 | March 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Hey! Drudge has a “rumor” Assad killed by body guard… the link is to a french site.

7. 7 | March 24, 2013 2:10 pm

brookly red wrote:

@ Mike C.:
    Point 7 I live in NYC

Mayflower, Allied, U-Haul, Ryder….

8 | March 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Well, I actually found some ammo, so the weekend turned out okay. I picked up 200 rounds of .40 at the Whitington Center pro shop at normal prices, and 40 rounds of .223 (all they’d let me have), again at normal prices.

9. 9 | March 24, 2013 8:23 pm

That counts as a good score these days.

10 | March 24, 2013 8:42 pm

@ Mike C.:

They had a bunch of .40, and most rifle ammo (other than .223).

No 9mm or .22LR, though.

11 | March 24, 2013 8:43 pm

@ Mike C.:

It’s a really nice facility, too. I’m going back next month to get my rifle instructor certification.

12 | March 24, 2013 8:54 pm

@ Mike C.:

That looks like a really great place. I’m always impressed when any any campground or resort has a well planned hangout for dogs. I’ve been through Raton several times and prefer the ride south.

13 | March 24, 2013 8:56 pm

@ huckfunn:

They even have an airfield

14 | March 24, 2013 8:59 pm

@ huckfunn:

I’m probably going to get an annual membership. It’s pretty much a no-brainer.

Informal range use (not part of a class or some organized event) is $20 a day.

An annual membership is $30, which gives you unlimited range use.

15 | March 24, 2013 9:06 pm

I need to think of an excuse to get up there. I’ll probably be back in Ruidoso in the next 10 days or so. However, my travels will mostly take me to the scenic city of Clovis. :roll:

16 | March 24, 2013 9:09 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Even if you’re not going to shoot, it’s still worth stopping if you’re in the area. They have a really nice museum with a bunch of pieces on loan from the NRA museum in Fairfax, a library, and a nice gift shop/pro shop.

If you get off I-25 at exit 446, it’s 4 miles west. The main building is right off the highway.

17 | March 24, 2013 9:20 pm

I was just looking at it on Google Erf. 300 miles from Ruidoso. At any rate, it’s on my list.

18. 18 | March 25, 2013 5:17 am

# 30/year to shoot? Damn! I’d have to sign up myself, the wife the kids and the grandson.

19. 19 | March 26, 2013 10:00 am

Ladies (some metro men) if you plan to shoot from inside your handbag (side wallet, you know who you are) purchase a changed hammer (hammerless) revolver. A semi-auto with a slide may fail to cycle.

20. 20 | March 26, 2013 10:04 am

sorry, that should be “caged” hammer revolver. A friend of mine’s wife went in asking specifically for a handgun that she should shoot from inside her handbag (court reporter that has to take depositions in the bad, bad part of town) and they were tying to sell here a semi-auto. Not really sure if they are stupid or I am, but I pointed them to a nice S&W hammerless revolver in .357/38 special -she likes!!!

21. 21 | March 26, 2013 3:14 pm

@ rgranger:

Firing from inside a purse (or from a jacket pocket), except as a last-ditch desperation move, is stupid. She would be firing without aiming. That’s no way to hit a target. It may look cool in the movies, but life is rarely like a movie.

If a woman is going to carry in a purse, she should get a purse with a separate compartment for the handgun. All kinds of crap tends to accumulate in a purse, and a lot of it is capable of jamming any type of handgun. Many good manufacturers make purses especially for this purpose.

22 | March 26, 2013 6:58 pm

@ Mike C.:

I agree. There are also briefcases and organizers that serve the same purpose.