City of New Orleans

by Bunk X ( 101 Comments › )
Filed under OOT, Open thread, Technology, Transportation at March 29th, 2013 - 10:30 pm

httpv://youtu.be/9lgIplZKCl8

New Orleans to Hammond Louisiana in real time. Best way to view it is to open it up in a separate window, keep the sound on, and pay attention when the speed kicks in.  Don’t miss the “Lac Pontchartrain” bridge. From the comments:

“At least 70% of America’s railroads still use wooden cross ties, but can certainly do higher speeds even so. The reason for the slow speed across Lake Ponchartrain is the fact that if there is a derailment, the chances are less that the train will end up in the drink. The train’s maximum speed in this video – given the schedule of 73 Miles in 60 Minutes – is 79 MPH, with the average speed of 72 MPH.”

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNb-TN1J3Hg

For those who thought I was gonna post an Arlo Guthrie tune, you’re out of luck. I posted Steve Goodman because he wrote it especially for those of us who still ride the rails on The Overnight Open Thread.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

101 Responses to “City of New Orleans”

1 | March 29, 2013 10:39 pm

httpv://youtu.be/xdxxSBVwRYg

2. 2 | March 29, 2013 10:52 pm

@ huckfunn:
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufzRV3xspYA

3. 3 | March 29, 2013 11:03 pm

httpv://youtu.be/6lutNECOZFw

4. yenta-fada
    4 | March 29, 2013 11:07 pm

Wikipedia is great site for music info. Politics…not so much.

5. CynicalConservative
    5 | March 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Good call removing (and re-scheduling?) FoC’s thread, needs a better window.

(not that I’m a great contributer)

/galt

6. 6 | March 29, 2013 11:43 pm

KRAPP… as if things weren’t bad enough already, it looks like the hard drive on my main computer took a dump…

7. Calo
    7 | March 29, 2013 11:59 pm

Ive been in IT hell for a week now. Welcome to my world, as pitiful as it may be.

May I offer your computer a quick, swift kick, a new hard drive and some idiots who will program your router to hell?

8. CynicalConservative
    8 | March 30, 2013 12:04 am

@ Calo:
    1 week? Damn, I’ve been in IT for 15 years (it’s hell by default).

/galt

9. Calo
    9 | March 30, 2013 12:11 am

@ CynicalConservative:
    You are the reason I dislike you tonight,

WTH is a naked DSL/dry loop and why can’t I get one??

10. 10 | March 30, 2013 12:19 am

@ CynicalConservative:
    I wasn’t aware of any rescheduling. I just kind of do it and let the admins mess around.

11. CynicalConservative
    11 | March 30, 2013 12:20 am

@ Calo:
    Way outside of my IT sphere. I’m in the DBA / Web master realm. You’re talking network / infrastructure. Can I offer some Nightwish.

/galt

12. 12 | March 30, 2013 12:21 am

@ Calo:
    We crossed Lake Pontchartrain. What’s your problem?

13. 13 | March 30, 2013 12:25 am

35 minutes in, we’re flying.

14. CynicalConservative
    14 | March 30, 2013 12:26 am

@ Bunk X:
    Nothing you did Bunk. Just saw a good thread give a 404 error so figured some power that is decided to reschedule. Appreciate the OOT’s.

/galt

15. 15 | March 30, 2013 12:27 am

@ CynicalConservative:
    I missed it, but I’ve been accused of worse.

16. 16 | March 30, 2013 12:29 am

Less than 20 minutes to Hammond.

17. 17 | March 30, 2013 12:36 am

10 minutes.

18. Calo
    18 | March 30, 2013 12:37 am

@ Bunk X:
    Huh? Y’all are flying in to LA for the holiday?

Enjoy your family, I ain’t coming across the border to stalk you.
    Happy Easter to the Missus and your girls. May they find the chocolate bunny first.

19. 19 | March 30, 2013 12:40 am

Looks like it’s sunny in Hammond.

20. 20 | March 30, 2013 12:40 am

Humid as hell.

21. 21 | March 30, 2013 12:41 am

Huge flag at 54.

22. 22 | March 30, 2013 12:43 am

Lol. Roadkill.

23. 23 | March 30, 2013 12:46 am

Water tower @ 59.

24. Calo
    24 | March 30, 2013 12:52 am

I’m gong Galt.

Bunk is down South tonight.

25. 25 | March 30, 2013 12:52 am

That was a nice ride. Did you see all the Confederate crackers popping pellets to catch ‘em some vittles and to mark the train’s passage? See alla dem neonazi flags peppering the periphery? Neither did I.

26. 26 | March 30, 2013 12:53 am

@ Calo:
    Trim it, don’t shave it.

27. Bordm
    27 | March 30, 2013 12:55 am

Bunk that’s Elmer’s country, pick up some “Elmer’s Gold Brick Eggs,” your sweet tooth will love you for it.

28. 28 | March 30, 2013 12:59 am

@ Calo:
    Why would I fly into LA? I could drive to San Diego, toss a brink at Dorian, and be back in time for The Bob and Jack Show in the same amount of time.

29. Suki Wong
    29 | March 30, 2013 1:06 am

@ Bunk X:
    You are backwards left-handed Louisiana swamprat Bunk.

I think Calo was fearful she owed you a beer, and your plane landed outside of Los Angeles into the Southern Zone.

30. 30 | March 30, 2013 1:06 am

@ Bordm:
    Oh no. I hated those even when I was a grownup.
    Gimme these instead.

31. 31 | March 30, 2013 1:18 am

@ Suki Wong:
    Yep. That.

32. Bordm
    32 | March 30, 2013 1:19 am

@ Bunk X:
    I’ll be noshing on one of those for desert on Sunday. Mom usually makes a plain and a chocolate pecan pie for Easter. /burp

33. AZfederalist
    33 | March 30, 2013 1:20 am

Bunk X wrote:

Gimme these instead.

Oh yeah! Now you’re talking. With some whipped cream. Yum.

34 | March 30, 2013 1:22 am

Bunk X wrote:

Well, here’s “Trans Karoo” the Afrikaner equivalent to “City of New Orleans” , so maybe Chucky can find some Neo Nazi Tennessee Afrikaner WeerstandsBeweging flags in it. :lol:

httpv://youtu.be/gN2-qYw6tGI

35. 35 | March 30, 2013 1:23 am

@ Bordm:
    Chocolate? Blasphemy!
    AZfederalist
    wrote:
    Whipped cream? Blasphemy!

36. 36 | March 30, 2013 1:28 am

@ The Osprey:
    I think the big boy is due for some major smackage soon, and that is a very nice song given my mood tonight. :D

37. Bordm
    37 | March 30, 2013 1:30 am

@ Bunk X:

Chocolate? Blasphemy!

Not blasphemy, another level of heaven. Gotta agree about the whipped cream though, now a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream……

38 | March 30, 2013 1:48 am

Bunk X wrote:

@ The Osprey:

I thought you might like that. The original has lyrics but this particular guitarist
    does all instrumental interpretations.

Go to YouTube and search for Leon Van Tonder. Dude makes guitars from oil cans.

httpv://youtu.be/p1YIsemU2dk

39. 39 | March 30, 2013 2:49 am

@ The Osprey:
    That’s interesting, but the guy needs a good friend to sit him down and tell him the truth:
    “4 minutes of that is 3.5 minutes too long.”
    I mean, I’d rather watch a vid about ferrous putty.
    httpv://youtu.be/2bx3PYFwnnA

40 | March 30, 2013 3:13 am

@ Bunk X:

All right, now I am having nightmares about Lovecraftian alien black putty monsters.

41. 41 | March 30, 2013 3:22 am

I think that’s racist….

42. 42 | March 30, 2013 3:39 am

@ The Osprey:
    I see I’ve completed all my assignments for today.

43. BatGuano
    43 | March 30, 2013 4:40 am

@ Bunk X:
    Does that mean I am running this site now?

44. 44 | March 30, 2013 4:49 am

I think so…

45. BatGuano
    45 | March 30, 2013 4:53 am

I think so…

Crap.

46. 46 | March 30, 2013 5:02 am

@ BatGuano:

Well, if I took charge, we’d wind up with another gun thread.

47. BatGuano
    47 | March 30, 2013 5:07 am

Mike, by the way a belated answer to you quest from yesteday:
    Mike C. wrote:

I doubt it. But why shouldn’t he? It was supposed to be a pension scheme. He paid in, why shouldn’t he take out? I don’t see that the fact that he is fabulously rich (or liberal) has anything to do with that. A contract is a contract.

I agree that a contract is a contract.I am worried that many such contracts will be violated. Warren Buffet is entitled to everything he is owed.I am concerned about people like me and possibly you (I don’t know) who depend on the system to remain solvent until such time as there can be real reform.

48 | March 30, 2013 5:07 am

@ BatGuano:

Well, if I took charge, we’d wind up with another gun thread.

You make it sound like that’s a bad thing… :wink:

49. BatGuano
    49 | March 30, 2013 5:08 am

@ BatGuano:
    Well, if I took charge, we’d wind up with another gun thread.

Go for it!

50. BatGuano
    50 | March 30, 2013 5:10 am

@ BatGuano:
    Well, if I took charge, we’d wind up with another gun thread.

And if I were in charge it would be an evolution thread.

51 | March 30, 2013 5:25 am

BatGuano wrote:

@ BatGuano:
    Well, if I took charge, we’d wind up with another gun thread.

And if I were in charge it would be an evolution thread.

then write up a post on it and we will run it.

52. BatGuano
    52 | March 30, 2013 5:31 am

then write up a post on it and we will run it.

That is a very kind offer and I will do it. You understand that many here remember the evolution threads at the swamp and will not take kindly to it?

53. 53 | March 30, 2013 5:36 am

Oh, God – not another evolution knife-fight…

54 | March 30, 2013 5:37 am

BatGuano wrote:

too bad for them.

i prefer a blog where people can disagree and discuss issues. we have lost a few posters who dont seem to grasp that everyone doesn’t have to agree with them to be on the same side. its a shame, frankly.

i am all for an open discussion.

55 | March 30, 2013 5:40 am

Mike C. wrote:

Oh, God — not another evolution knife-fight…

it aint a knife fight if everyone leaves their blades in their pockets.

56 | March 30, 2013 5:40 am

Mike C. wrote:

Oh, God — not another evolution knife-fight…

Why not?? I’m with CW on this one.

(Plus we could use a good rumble here to wake Folks up. :twisted: )

57 | March 30, 2013 5:42 am

the only problem with signing up for extra time is that you might get cancelled, i got cancelled today. that meant i had to be in bed nice and early and be ready to go at 0500. now i am up way too early on a day off.

that’s cool tho, i’ll bottle this fat beagle brewery princess vika divided sky india pale ale and take the puti golfing this afternoon.

58. 58 | March 30, 2013 5:42 am

Mike C. wrote:
    Oh, God — not another evolution knife-fight…
    it aint a knife fight if everyone leaves their blades in their pockets.

Which, of course, is not going to happen. I’ve been down this road many times.

59 | March 30, 2013 5:44 am

Mike C. wrote:
    Oh, God — not another evolution knife-fight…
    it aint a knife fight if everyone leaves their blades in their pockets.
    Which, of course, is not going to happen. I’ve been down this road many times.

you could very well be right. but i am gonna have faith that it wont get too bad.

:lol: at myself

60. 60 | March 30, 2013 5:47 am

Good luck!

61. BatGuano
    61 | March 30, 2013 5:56 am

i am all for an open discussion.

Sounds good to me.

62 | March 30, 2013 5:58 am

Good luck!

*breaks out the kevlar helmet, flack vest, and starts filling sandbags*

thanks.

63 | March 30, 2013 6:01 am

BatGuano wrote:

i am all for an open discussion.
    Sounds good to me.

holla when its done.

64. 64 | March 30, 2013 6:02 am

Make certain all the weapons magazines are loaded…

65. BatGuano
    65 | March 30, 2013 6:03 am

Mike C. wrote:

Which, of course, is not going to happen. I’ve been down this road many times.

Peace is possible if it is discussed as other threads are with the free exchange of opinions. I promise to not let my experience at lgf be a factor.

66. 66 | March 30, 2013 6:07 am

@ BatGuano:

I’ll try my best to just sit on the sidelines and eat popcorn…

67. BatGuano
    67 | March 30, 2013 6:15 am

Mike C. wrote:

I’ll try my best to just sit on the sidelines and eat popcorn…

That’s the spirit! You learn more that way.

68. 68 | March 30, 2013 6:17 am

I will note, however, that yer gonna need music to go with that evolution thread. Here’s one possibility…

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7zo2zY1Zqg

69. 69 | March 30, 2013 6:24 am

Or another possibility…

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClJ5lwl_wM0

70. BatGuano
    70 | March 30, 2013 6:27 am

@ Mike C.:
    Excellent idea, but not appropriate. Paleontology does not support evolution. Catchy tune tho.

71. 71 | March 30, 2013 6:31 am

Links seem to have blown up.

BatGuano wrote:

@ Mike C.:

Now I said I was going to sit on the sidelines and munch popcorn, yes?

72. 72 | March 30, 2013 6:32 am

@ Mike C.:

Oh, the links did’t blow up. Just a temp glitch on the old laptop, I guess.

73 | March 30, 2013 6:39 am

Background Checks Needed For Members of Bloomberg’s Mayors Against Illegal Guns

Started by Mayor Bloomberg in 2006, Mayors Against Illegal Guns is a coalition of over 800 mostly Democrat Mayors in all states except Alaska, Montana, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Wyoming.

Since pretty much everyone is against illegal guns, the group would more accurately be called, Mayors For Gun Control.

Bloomberg may want to consider background checks on these pro gun-control Mayors before they are accepted into the group, because the reckless and criminal behavior of some of the members is not helping their cause, from a PR standpoint.

The Washington Free Beacon recently reported that some current and former members of the group have been charged with crimes as serious as felony corruption, assault of a police officer, and child sex crimes.

Just last week, MAIG member and Gainsville, FL Democrat Mayor Craig Lowe was arrested on charges of driving under the influence and property damage after police found him asleep in his car at the scene of a crash.

:twisted:

74. BatGuano
    74 | March 30, 2013 6:41 am

It would be a shame if everything Mike C. wrote:

Links seem to have blown up.
    BatGuano wrote:
    @ Mike C.:
    Now I said I was going to sit on the sidelines and munch popcorn, yes?

Indeed you did.

75 | March 30, 2013 6:42 am

@ Da_Beerfreak:

how DARE you back-sass your superiors!

76. 76 | March 30, 2013 6:45 am

Well, not quite getting the intro phrase to that, but no matter… My first attempt at collard greens last night worked out, so I’m in a mellow mood today. So far.

77 | March 30, 2013 6:49 am

@ Da_Beerfreak:

how DARE you back-sass your superiors!

Next up, we all need to call on our elected officials to support a total ban on the sale of all sugary drinks smaller then 20oz. :twisted:

78 | March 30, 2013 6:55 am

@ Da_Beerfreak:

the entire political class on both sides need to be strung up with SHR.

79 | March 30, 2013 7:05 am

@ Da_Beerfreak:

the entire political class on both sides need to be strung up with SHR.

That’s why a third party is inevitable. The two parties we have now are not capable of solving any problems, only capable of making more problems. Everyday more Folks are sick of their crap. Their time is running out.

80 | March 30, 2013 7:18 am

What’s wrong with this statement??
    Fusion center director: We don’t spy on Americans, just anti-government Americans

Law enforcement intelligence-processing fusion centers have long come under attack for spying on Americans. The Arkansas director wanted to clarify the truth: centers only spies on some Americans – those who appear to be a threat to the government.

In trying to clear up the ‘misconceptions’ about the conduct of fusion centers, Arkansas State Fusion Center Director Richard Davis simply confirmed Americans’ fears: the center does in fact spy on Americans – but only on those who are suspected to be ‘anti-government’.

Sure I’m paranoid, but am I paranoid enough??

“When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you – you know your nation is doomed.”
    -Ayn Rand

81 | March 30, 2013 7:19 am

@ Da_Beerfreak:

i’d prefer to take the gop back to the fiscon/goldwater right, the purge would be worth it…ah, to see the look on rove’s face when he is asked to get the hell out would be priceless.

82. 82 | March 30, 2013 7:22 am

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

Actually, I believe the Demo☭rats and Today’s Republicans will coalesce into another Demo☭rat-Republican Party, with thew new party stepping to represent the TRUE Conservatives. What to name that party is another subject for debate.

83 | March 30, 2013 7:57 am

@ Da_Beerfreak:

Lack of real Party Discipline has always been a problem with the GOP. Purging the RINOs is long over due and it may already be too late to save the party’s brand.

84. 84 | March 30, 2013 8:04 am

@ Da_Beerfreak:
    the entire political class on both sides need to be strung up with SHR.

Amen brother… :twisted:

85. 85 | March 30, 2013 8:14 am

I don’t understand this continual concentration on old-fashioned technology (other than mechanical watches, revolvers, lever guns and manual transmissions for cars, I mean) – Nylon or, better yet, polypropelene rope will work just fine.

86 | March 30, 2013 8:21 am

Mike C. wrote:

I don’t understand this continual concentration on old-fashioned technology (other than mechanical watches, revolvers, lever guns and manual transmissions for cars, I mean) — Nylon or, better yet, polypropelene rope will work just fine.

I’s just more fun to say ‘Stout Hemp Rope’ rather then ‘durable
    polypropelene line’ something like ‘tough nylon cord’ comes close, but is still lacking… :wink:

87 | March 30, 2013 8:21 am

It’s just more fun to say ‘Stout Hemp Rope’ rather then ‘durable

88 | March 30, 2013 8:21 am

It’s just more fun to say ‘Stout Hemp Rope’ rather then ‘durable

89 | March 30, 2013 8:21 am

It’s just more fun to say ‘Stout Hemp Rope’ rather then ‘durable

90 | March 30, 2013 8:21 am

It’s just more fun to say ‘Stout Hemp Rope’ rather then ‘durable

91 | March 30, 2013 8:21 am

It’s just more fun to say ‘Stout Hemp Rope’ rather then ‘durable

92 | March 30, 2013 8:21 am

It’s just more fun to say ‘Stout Hemp Rope’ rather then ‘durable

93 | March 30, 2013 8:22 am

Mike C. wrote:

Nylon or, better yet, polypropelene rope will work just fine.

they dont have the right flex to snap the neck. for real.

94 | March 30, 2013 8:25 am

I think WordPress is messing with my posts… :shock:

95 | March 30, 2013 8:26 am

@ Da_Beerfreak:

you can say that again.

96. 96 | March 30, 2013 8:26 am

@ Da_Beerfreak:

Dude, stop hitting the “post” button!

Polyprope doesn’t stretch at all. Enough drop and they little heads pop right off!

97 | March 30, 2013 8:29 am

there is a fine line between strangling, hanging properly, and ripping someone’s head off. hanging is a science.

it has to do with height, weight, and rope flex.

SHR has the right flex.

98 | March 30, 2013 8:30 am

see my above.

snapping heads off is in very bad form.

99. 99 | March 30, 2013 8:39 am

Oh, pish-tosh. This isn’t the Olympics, and even if it was, the East German judge is going to give you a 5.3 at best anyway.

100 | March 30, 2013 8:42 am

Mike C. wrote:

scimitars and guillotine are for separating heads from bodies.

SHR makes sure you do the job right, the first time with no mess (added bonus)

lecture is up as well all y’all / yinz / youse

101. 101 | March 30, 2013 9:17 am

Mike C. wrote:
    Nylon or, better yet, polypropelene rope will work just fine.
    they dont have the right flex to snap the neck. for real.

Yup, want them to hang there till the buzzards or other carrion bird peck out their dead and lifeless eyeballs… :twisted: