Obama’s European trip shows how far America has fallen

by Speranza ( 108 Comments › )
Filed under Barack Obama, Cold War, Germany, History, Russia, Syria at June 20th, 2013 - 11:30 am

There is an element of schadenfreude in seeing the Europeans disappointed in the man they hailed and fervently wished would win the presidency 5 years ago. I guess the bromance between Obama and Putin has flamed out.

by Michael Hirsh

President Obama’s honeymoon with the world is over.

What was it, exactly, about Obama’s controversy-marred trip to Germany and the G8 Summit in Northern Ireland that fell so flat? Ummm, how about … everything?

There were the snarky words from Vladimir Putin, who expressed an almost Soviet-esque distance from Washington in his views about Syria. “Of course our opinions do not coincide,” the Russian leader said bluntly. There was the coded warning from Chancellor Angela Merkel about spying on friends, and her and Obama’s continuing frostiness over the issue of economic stimulus versus austerity. Above all, there was Obama’s vague attempt at the Brandenburg Gate to capture some wisp of his past glory by pledging vague plans to cut nuclear arms and an even vaguer concept of “peace with justice.”

The “peace with justice” line was a quote from John F. Kennedy, Obama’s attempt to steal just a little of JFK’s thunder from 50 years before.  [........] A crowd that, at about 4,500, was also much, much smaller than Obama drew as a candidate in 2008.

Not only is the honeymoon long over, folks. The marriage is becoming deeply troubled and, increasingly, loveless.

On June 26, 1963, you may recall from your history books, Kennedy flew to West Berlin, which was isolated behind the Iron Curtain, and declared “Ich bin ein Berliner” to delirious roars from a crowd of 450,000 Germans who immediately understood that he  was telling them that  ”all free men, wherever they may live,” stood behind them.

Some linguists later quibbled that Kennedy should have said “Ich bin Berliner,” and that by adding the “ein” he was really saying, “I’m a jelly doughnut,” since “Berliner” was the name of a pastry in some parts of Germany. [.......]

In contrast to JFK, and Ronald Reagan’s almost-as-famous line 24 years later — “Mr, Gorbachev, tear down this wall!” — Obama came across as more of a jelly doughnut, a little soft and perhaps too sweet inside, especially compared to the hard-edged Putin. After their meeting, it was clear that Putin, right or wrong, was pursuing a set course on Syria and other issues, frankly backing the regime of Bashar al-Assad, while Obama was continuing to temporize over how much and what kind of aid he would give to the Syrian rebels.

“We cannot dictate the pace of change in places like the Arab world, but we must reject the excuse that we can do nothing to support it,” the president declared in his Brandenburg Gate speech. It wasn’t much of an applause line.  [........]

Compare that to Putin’s active military support of Assad, which has helped the Syrian dictator regain the advantage against the rebels, and Putin’s harsher words. After his meeting with British Prime Minister David Cameron, in opposition to arming the rebels, Putin declared:  ”You will not deny that one does not really need to support the people who not only kill their enemies, but open up their bodies, eat their intestines in front of the public and cameras. Are these the people you want to support? Is it them who you want to supply with weapons? Then this probably has little relation to humanitarian values that have been preached in Europe for hundreds of years.”

And even as he quoted Kennedy in his Brandenburg Gate speech  Obama appeared to hop lightly from topic to topic, much as his foreign policy has. “The Russians know what they want.   [.........]

Indeed, as I have previously written, to a degree that the administration has not really acknowledged, Russia under Putin has become the chief countervailing force to U.S. power and influence around the world, even more so than China, which often follows Moscow’s lead in the U.N. Security Council.

So now, instead of the Americans, it’s the Russians who are delivering up the challenging quotes, and drawing the hard lines, in Europe. History may well still be on Obama’s side, as he suggested by touting Berlin’s “lesson of the ages” in his speech. The audiences, perhaps not so much.

Read the rest - Obama’s turbulent European vacation

Tags: , , ,

Comments

108 Responses to “Obama’s European trip shows how far America has fallen”

1 | June 20, 2013 12:08 pm

apologies to Rudyard Kipling and “Mandalay”:

Ship me somewhere in east Berlin where the best food’s, like, the wurst
    Where being the black President’s my sole historic “first”
    Where the sun is on the ‘prompter and I can’t read what I say
    As I call for nuclear reductions on my way to Africay
    On the road to Africay
    Where my family will play
    Traveling with our huge entourage no matter what folks say
    On the road to Africay
    Where we’ll get down and par-tay
    And the taxpayers will foot the bill as I piss cash away!

2. eaglesoars
    2 | June 20, 2013 12:19 pm

As much as he has hurt us -- I think we’ll recover someday -- maybe, just maybe, the EUnichs are re-thinking the plan that let us cover their defense so they could hand out the welfare chits.

3 | June 20, 2013 12:34 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

As much as he has hurt us — I think we’ll recover someday — maybe, just maybe, the EUnichs are re-thinking the plan that let us cover their defense so they could hand out the welfare chits.

I am trusting in the greatness and resiliency of America to overcome the effects of Obamism.

4. pat
    4 | June 20, 2013 12:43 pm

He made a fool of himself.

5. 5 | June 20, 2013 12:57 pm

@ pat:

Nothing new there. I’ve always seen him as a fool. The world, though, has been viewing him through theprism of the FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT, and thought he could do no wrong. He just kept pushing that boundry until he broke through it. The question is, will the blinders stay off? I doubt it. Obama may never be quite back to perfect for them, but they’ll excuse his flaws in the name of diversity.

6. eaglesoars
    6 | June 20, 2013 12:59 pm

Speranza wrote:

I don’t know how old you are but I’m not sure I’ll live to see it

7 | June 20, 2013 1:04 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Speranza wrote:
    I am trusting in the greatness and resiliency of America to overcome teh effects of Obamism.

I don’t know how old you are but I’m not sure I’ll live to see it

I am one year younger than you are.

8 | June 20, 2013 1:06 pm

Nothing new there. I’ve always seen him as a fool.

The Europeans loved him in 2008 because he was not the evil Booooosh.

9. Lily
    9 | June 20, 2013 1:09 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Speranza wrote:

I don’t know how old you are but I’m not sure I’ll live to see it

It might come very quickly or slowly…at this point no one knows..but one does know his admirers are dropping like flies. Not a good thing for ole Obama.

10. eaglesoars
    10 | June 20, 2013 1:11 pm

And it has done and will do more to hurt race relations in this country than anything in my lifetime other than the assassination of MLK

Put it this way. I no longer give some people the benefit of the doubt.

11. 11 | June 20, 2013 1:12 pm

@ Speranza:

At this point I believe hat Obama has done all the things that they were hyperventilating that Bush might do, from drone assassinations to renditions to keeping Gitmo open. But Obama intends to surrender to the Taliban. That is something that I couldn’t see Bush doing. I wonder if our erstwhile allies consider that good or bad?

12. eaglesoars
    12 | June 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Lily wrote:

Lily I don’t want to get personal on a public blog but I have a question. You have adult children if I’m not mistaken. Do you worry for them? Not ABOUT them but FOR them.

13. 13 | June 20, 2013 1:16 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I agree completely with the only exception being I wasn’t born when MLK was assassinated. I think the Obama Presidency has brought black racism out of the closet, to the degree that it ever was in the closet. Martin Luther King dreamed of a world where his children wouldn’t be judged by the color of their skin. Obama, OTOH, demands nothing so much as that people judge him by the color of his skin, not the content of his character.

14 | June 20, 2013 1:17 pm

But Obama intends to surrender to the Taliban.

The Taliban destroyed the Buddhas carved from mountainsides out of solid rock.

Obama and his partisans want to see him on Mount Rushmore. He wants the Taliban’s expertise.

15. eaglesoars
    15 | June 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Speranza wrote:

The Europeans loved him in 2008 because he was not the evil Booooosh.

I think it goes deeper than that. Bush was denigrated with what they intended as an epithet -- ‘cowboy’. That is a quintessential American icon. Who was the author Hitler read as a boy who wrote about the American west -- Karl May? Two world wars they got themselves into -- one with horrific crimes unknown to civilization before that -- And in large part it was the former colonies that had to fix it.

Obama is European in his world view and that validates their pride and diminishes their shame.

just a thought

16 | June 20, 2013 1:20 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Tom Wolfe discussed black racism and the gaming of the welfare system in “Radical Chic and Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers”—in the latter essay, “Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers,” in particular. He was roundly excoriated for doing so, but it’s instructive to revisit his observations.

17 | June 20, 2013 1:21 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Ironic, since he hates Europe and Europeans with a passion—for their whiteness, for their colonialism. Yet all the theories which undergird that hatred are, in fact, European in origin.

18. Tanker
    18 | June 20, 2013 1:22 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Lily wrote:

I’m not Lilly (she can speak for herself), I do worry for my children and grandchildren. If the s--t hitting the fan is inevitable, I’d sure like it to happen so I could help and not leave it all on their backs to solve. My desire is to see this Nation come to it’s senses and right the ship. I don’t see it happening, but it is my wish!

19. eaglesoars
    19 | June 20, 2013 1:23 pm

not the content of his character.

A good plan seeing as how it is so despicable

20 | June 20, 2013 1:28 pm

They are very much “into” surrender.

21 | June 20, 2013 1:29 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

He hates Europe although he wants us to adopt the European welfare state.

22. Buffalobob
    22 | June 20, 2013 1:30 pm

The most divisive community organizer ever. This jerk even had the temerity to scold the people of Ireland about their religious schools.

23. eaglesoars
    23 | June 20, 2013 1:32 pm

gotta go -- crisis in the office

24 | June 20, 2013 1:32 pm

Buffalobob wrote:

Insufficient madrassas, probably.

25. 25 | June 20, 2013 1:32 pm

Bloomberg’s gun controllers also lamented the demise of cop-killers:

Although Mayor Bloomberg’s Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG) has apologized for listing Boston bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev as a victim of gun violence at their Concord, NH rally on June 18, it is now apparent that the “list of names” was pregnant with criminals and cop killers as well.

In fact, the New Hampshire Republican State Committee is pointing out the list also included Christopher Dorner, the former Los Angeles police officer who went on a killing spree before finally dying in a fire after a gun fight with police. Dorner killed two police officers.

The name of Kevin Bailey was also read in Concord at the gun control rally. Bailey died in a shootout after exiting his car in Solon, OH and opening fire on police.

Rally organizers also read the name of Kurt Myers, a 64-year old man who was killed by police after he fired on them. The police were searching for Myers on suspicion that he had killed four people.

Like I said, they are just letting you know whose side they are really on.

26 | June 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Nanny Bloomberg is (in my opinion) having a break down.

27. 27 | June 20, 2013 1:48 pm

@ Speranza:

How could you tell, though? As far as I know, he’s always been a nasty little fascist.

28 | June 20, 2013 1:57 pm

@ Speranza:

Believe me he has gotten worse.

29 | June 20, 2013 2:38 pm

Speranza wrote:

Believe me he has gotten worse.

He’s probably boiling inside over the realization that he will never be President, or governor, and he can’t bribe the city council again to get another illegal term as mayor. All that petty tyranny, with no place to put it.

30. 30 | June 20, 2013 2:45 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

I figure he’s pissed because people don’t want him telling them what they can and cannot eat. He needs to control people absolutely, or he can’t stand it. I imagine that Himmler was much the same way.

31 | June 20, 2013 2:46 pm

I think JWF tweeted this about OBama.

“Ich bin ein scanner”

32 | June 20, 2013 2:50 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

I call him Napoleon Bonparte Bloomberg because he is such an imperious little man.

33 | June 20, 2013 2:50 pm

@ 13 Iron Fist: There is a modern racsim around. Yes. It has a curriculum. Kids are being educated in it everyday. It’s called Race and Social Justice. People that partake of it like Obama has then consider whiteness an immutable class that oppresses them now and forever more because of their black class.

A reasonable person would I assume then think of obama as evil. :-)

34 | June 20, 2013 2:50 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

Yeah he is a real attention whore.

35 | June 20, 2013 2:52 pm

There has to be a “Mayor’s for the 2nd amendment and gun safety” group somewhere? Just one mayor?

36. 36 | June 20, 2013 2:54 pm

@ darkwords:

Obama always likes to pretend that he isn’t part white. If “whiteness” makes you an “oppressor”, then Obama is one of the oppressors, not the oppressed. That is especially true when you look at how he has abused his office and power.

37 | June 20, 2013 2:59 pm

@ darkwords:

Good points.

38. 38 | June 20, 2013 3:01 pm

@ darkwords:

It sounds so innocuous, though. “Mayors Against Illegal Guns”. After all, who is for “illegal guns”? Until you realize that Bloomberg’s game is to make all guns illegal. As far as mayors for the Second Amendment, I am not aware of any formal group. I don’t know if the NRA does rankings for mayors, either. I guess maybe for big cities, but it seems like all the big city mayors are members of Bloomberg’s neo-fascists. Of course, being against “illegal guns” doesn’t mean Rahm Emmanual is going after guns in the hands of, say, the Gangsta Deciples, either. They’re part of the Chicago Machine, and thus exempt from such things.

39 | June 20, 2013 3:05 pm

Many of the same people love to say that “No person is illegal,” too.

40. 40 | June 20, 2013 3:07 pm

There are no Illegal Guns, just Unconstitutional Laws…

41 | June 20, 2013 3:07 pm

@ darkwords:

Speaking of modern racism, I hear they just finished picking the Zimmerman jury: All women, 5 white and 1 hispanic.

Countdown to heads exploding on MSNBC…

42 | June 20, 2013 3:09 pm

There are no Illegal Guns, just Unconstitutional Laws…

There really are no illegal guns, anyway. Just illegal gun owners.

Any gun made is legal for someone to own, after all.

43 | June 20, 2013 3:10 pm

I wonder if Bloomberg will be buying weapons for OBama’s syrian army once funds dry up here.

44 | June 20, 2013 3:10 pm

I guess they couldn’t find even one black juror who could pretend to be impartial.

45. 45 | June 20, 2013 3:11 pm

You can already hear the editorializing if they find him innocent. I’d say that probably puts illegal pressure on them to find him guilty.

46. 46 | June 20, 2013 3:12 pm

@ darkwords:

I still want to know if Obama is making al Qaeda in Syria undergo a background check before he gives them machineguns?

47 | June 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Holder will probably bring a federal civil rights case against him if he’s acquitted.

48 | June 20, 2013 3:15 pm

I think that he has already threatened that.

49. 49 | June 20, 2013 3:18 pm

No doubt that he will. I’d call that an act of Official Oppression, if he does. Not that Holder will be bothered by that. Holder’s whole career has been an act of oppression.

50 | June 20, 2013 3:22 pm

He just lied to Congress again, too:

Holder Tells Congress He Didn’t Lie To Them About James Rosen… Even Though He Did…

51. 51 | June 20, 2013 3:24 pm

Hey, what are they going to do? Find him in contempt? He has nothing but contempt for their contempt charge…

52 | June 20, 2013 3:25 pm

MSNBC’s Pompous Lib Rachel Maddow: White Supremacist Views Still Ruling GOP Policy On Immigration…

Wednesday night on “The Rachel Maddow Show,” host Rachel Maddow discussed how white supremacist ideology lies at the heart of Republican immigration policy, no matter how vehemently the party may deny it. Maddow suggested to the GOP that perhaps their minority outreach program would go more smoothly if they tried to act just a little less crazy and racist.

53 | June 20, 2013 3:26 pm

It’s prety obvious that he either lied to Congress or he lied to the judge who approved that warrant.

Either one is perjury.

54. 54 | June 20, 2013 3:28 pm

He had to go judge shopping to get the warrent, too. I’d be interested to find out if his testimony was different to different judges. I’d think that judges would frown on that…

55 | June 20, 2013 3:30 pm

“In order to proceed under the Privacy Protection Act, the government was required to establish that there was probable cause to believe that the reporter had committed or was committing a criminal offense to which the needed materials related,” Holder wrote in the letter.

Sorry…”We didn’t really mean it” only works as a defense up until 3rd grade.

56 | June 20, 2013 3:32 pm

Alternately, I suppose he could go with “Yes, we said that we thought he was a criminal, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we were going to prosecute him. Look how many other criminals we don’t prosecute every day!”

57. 57 | June 20, 2013 3:37 pm

Hey, he didn’t say he was testifying for funsies, so the Court took him seriously. Whose fault was that? Obviously, the Court’s! I swear every day that Holder spends out of prison is an affront to all law abiding Americans.

58 | June 20, 2013 3:42 pm

without the threat of impeachment, this is all just an exercise in futility…I’m rapidly losing interest

59. 59 | June 20, 2013 3:43 pm

Everybody knows what a kidder the Attorney General is. They should have known he was just kidding… :roll:

60. Guggi
    60 | June 20, 2013 3:46 pm

darkwords wrote:

I think JWF tweeted this about OBama.

“Ich bin ein scanner”

My favorite is: Yes, we scan! :-)

61. 61 | June 20, 2013 3:47 pm

@ Guggi:

Yeah, but he says that when he’s talking about reading your email…

62 | June 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Report: Obama Regime Negotiating Release Of Gitmo Terrorists With The Taliban…

The Afghan Taliban are ready to free a U.S. soldier held captive since 2009 in exchange for five of their senior operatives imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay as a conciliatory gesture, a senior spokesman for the group said Thursday.

The offer follows this week’s official opening of a Taliban political office in Doha, the capital of the Gulf state of Qatar.

63 | June 20, 2013 3:52 pm

seems like a reasonable deal, since AQ is shot out and the WOT is over

64 | June 20, 2013 3:56 pm

UNREAL: Bloomberg’s Anti-Gun Groups Lists Cop Killer Chris Dorner As Victim Of Gun Violence…

65 | June 20, 2013 3:58 pm

heysoos wrote:

I’m rapidly losing interest

Yeah, my bank account is like that too.

66. Guggi
    66 | June 20, 2013 4:04 pm

@ Guggi:

Yeah, but he says that when he’s talking about reading your email…

I’ve nothing to hide////////

67 | June 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Dem Rep. Jim McDermott Complains To FBI Their Ad Of Most Wanted Terrorists Is “Racist” And “Offensive” Because They’re All Muslims…

In a letter to the FBI requesting they pull the campaign from Seattle buses, McDermott sounds off on what he says is “offensive to Muslims and ethnic minorities” and “encourages racial and religious profiling.”

The ad shows sixteen faces of wanted terrorists, all of whom appear to be from predominantly Muslim regions. McDermott calls foul, writing that the FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorists list includes people of other races and “associations with other religions and causes.”

“But their faces are missing from this campaign,” he writes.

“The…ad will likely only serve to exacerbate the disturbing trend against Middle Eastern, South Asian and Muslim Americans.”

The ad is the work of the Puget Sound Joint Terrorism Task Force, and are part of the U.S. Department of State’s Rewards for Justice Program.

How dare they show pictures of Muslim terrorists in an ad aimed at catching Muslim terrorists!

68 | June 20, 2013 4:22 pm

Michelle Malkin ✔ @michellemalkin

Gaffetastic! MT @FreeBeacon VID: Hagel asks man at U of Nebraska if he’s in Taliban; turns out 2 b Indian professor http://wfb.tc/11oM04P
    12:02 AM -- 20 Jun 2013

Have you noticed that Obama surrounds himself with
    stupid, White guys, Hagel, Biden , Kerry, Clapper…..?

69. eaglesoars
    69 | June 20, 2013 4:28 pm

@ Guggi:
    Yeah, but he says that when he’s talking about reading your email…

oh well done!!

70. 70 | June 20, 2013 4:32 pm

Something like 29 of the top 30 most wanted terrorists are Muslim. The one exception is an Animal Rights/Eco freak. The nerve of them not using him as the emblematic terrorist. I’m sure that hurts his feelings!

71. 71 | June 20, 2013 4:33 pm

@ Guggi:

I’m sure if I had something to hide they’;d have already kicked in my front door and shot me…

72 | June 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Have you noticed that Obama surrounds himself with
    stupid, White guys, Hagel, Biden , Kerry, Clapper…..?

Throw in stupid females such as Susan Rice (1/2 white just like Obama), Janet Napolitano, Kathleen Sebelius, and Samantha Power.

73. eaglesoars
    73 | June 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Have you noticed that Obama surrounds himself with
    stupid, White guys, Hagel, Biden , Kerry, Clapper…..?

Let’s talk about the women……..starting with Samantha Powers -- or maybe Mooch. Ever read her thesis she did at Princeton? I think Christoper Hitchens said something to the effect that if anyone said they had read it they were lying bacause it was not written in any known language.

74 | June 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Dana Bash ✔ @DanaBashCNN

Ruh Ruh -- @tedbarrettcnn reports @DianneFeinstein is currently stuck in a senate elevator with her aides.
    1:42 PM -- 20 Jun 2013

HT Twitchy

Ok, this is a start. Now lower down Pelosi, Maxine Waters,
    Sheila Jackson Lee , Patty Murray & toss in Cynthia
    McKinney.

75. 75 | June 20, 2013 4:37 pm

@ Speranza:

Obama has to, has to believe that he’s the smartest person in the room. Always. The only way he can convince himself of tat is if everyone else in the room’s IQ is lower than the room temperature…

76 | June 20, 2013 4:41 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Have you noticed that Obama surrounds himself with
    stupid, White guys, Hagel, Biden , Kerry, Clapper…..?

Let’s talk about the women……..starting with Samantha Powers — or maybe Mooch. Ever read her thesis she did at Princeton? I think Christoper Hitchens said something to the effect that if anyone said they had read it they were lying bacause it was not written in any known language.

I actually did read it. It was completely incompressible.
    She was race grudging, but it was impossible to
    Bad vibe for the Ivy League..

77. 77 | June 20, 2013 4:44 pm

I didn’t read it, but I could have told you it was Hate Whitey, all the time. It’s really the only thing she’s good at.

78. eaglesoars
    78 | June 20, 2013 4:48 pm

I actually did read it.

I got to page 6 before the migraine set in

79 | June 20, 2013 4:53 pm

That’s what it was. But Hitches was right, it was no known language.

80 | June 20, 2013 4:55 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

I actually did read it.

I got to page 6 before the migraine set in

Actually , it is appalling that someone at her educational
    level at the time, could not string two coherent sentences
    together.

81 | June 20, 2013 4:56 pm

Speranza wrote:

Have you noticed that Obama surrounds himself with
    stupid, White guys, Hagel, Biden , Kerry, Clapper…..?

Sebelius is evil, she’s just evil.

82. 82 | June 20, 2013 5:00 pm

Sebelius likes killing children. She’d have let that little girl die, just for kicks.

83. eaglesoars
    83 | June 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Actually , it is appalling that someone at her educational
    level at the time, could not string two coherent sentences
    together.

That would require constructing one coherent sentence first

84. eaglesoars
    84 | June 20, 2013 5:07 pm

this is one way you can tell Obama is not going to heaven.

I’m at a loss to think of any other state that George Tiller could have practiced his Mengeleian horrors in than Kansas while she was governor

85 | June 20, 2013 5:12 pm

Priests Demand Pelosi Condemn Abortion Or Leave The Catholic Church…

A pro-life group called on California Democrat Rep. Nancy Pelosi to “exercise your duties as a public servant and a Catholic, or have the honesty to formally renounce them,” in a widely-circulated open letter Wednesday.

“Public servants are supposed to be able to tell the difference between serving the public and killing the public. Apparently, you can’t,” wrote national director of Priests for Life Father Frank Pavone. “Otherwise, you would have been able to explain the difference between a legal medical procedure that kills a baby inside the womb and an act of murder.”

86. eaglesoars
    86 | June 20, 2013 5:18 pm

The Catholic Church has fallen down on this one. SOMEBODY has the authority to excommunicate her (and Sebelius) and hasn’t done it.

Yammering at that whore to do the right thing gives the phrase ‘pissing up a rope’ a whole new meaning

87 | June 20, 2013 5:23 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Since the Administration, and its supporters—very much including Pelosi—seem to be looking to pick fights everywhere, and have certainly done their damnedest to do so with the Catholic Church, could Pelosi’s “sacred ground” statement have been made as a provocation, intended to provoke a reaction from the Church, in order to provide a pretext for another round of pushing Obamacare abortion/birth control rules?

88. eaglesoars
    88 | June 20, 2013 5:35 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

Interesting. But the Church has been so spineless about her I’m not sure what she could think would provoke it other than yanking a fetus out of the womb and snipping its spine on national television during the Super Bowl

89 | June 20, 2013 5:35 pm

She is a truly vile woman.

90 | June 20, 2013 5:36 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Actually , it is appalling that someone at her educational
    level at the time, could not string two coherent sentences
    together.

That would require constructing one coherent sentence first

Good point, she didn’t even accomplish that.

91 | June 20, 2013 5:51 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

There is a certain blatancy since the election, with the Administration and its supporters trying to lay out everything they can to provoke those who disagree with them. In my opinion, they are trying to simultaneously rub the election in their opponents’ faces and see how much more they can get away with before some sort of incident is provoked. If they can get the Church to react, that’s the cue to push on the abortion/contraception rules; if someone decides to do something on their own, provoked by the statements and the Church’s inaction, that will be the cue for creating a new crisis that will not be allowed to go to waste—whether for gun control, additional spying, or something else.

They’re trying to foment as much crisis as they can, even as they “get the scandals out of the way” before ramping up OFA to bulldoze the midterms.

92. eaglesoars
    92 | June 20, 2013 6:07 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

There is a certain blatancy since the election,

Oh dear lord yes

As far as OFA goes -- I’m beginning to think that maybe it’s not as formidable as we think -- didn’t they have a rally the other day and only 3 people showed up?

Contrast that with the Tea Party rally

93 | June 20, 2013 6:11 pm

@ eaglesoars:

OFA rallies are irrelevant. Those people are just props to make it look like an actual grass roots group.

94 | June 20, 2013 6:16 pm

Exactly.

95. eaglesoars
    95 | June 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Those people are just props to make it look like an actual grass roots group.

then I think they need more props and more grass

96 | June 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Obama the Grievance POTUS had to keep stupid white guys around to ward off the happen chance he’d be disabused of his world view. Can’t have that. Grievance all the way baby!

97 | June 20, 2013 6:22 pm

I’ve been rundown
    I’ve been lied to
    don’t know why I let that mean woman
    make me a fool
    she took all my money
    wrecked my new car
    now she’s with one of my good time buddies
    drinkin in some cross town bar
    Allman Bros

I like metaphore

98. eaglesoars
    98 | June 20, 2013 7:03 pm

So I just listen to Kirsten Powers -- an utterly decent person but an idiot liberal -- pontificate about how she doesn’t want to live in a country with a fence.

The merits of a physical fence are worth a debate I guess but really -- there is no security w/o border control

I get so weary of this touchy-feely crap

99 | June 20, 2013 7:17 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    I bet she lives in a gated community, probably even locks her door at night…personally I find sports stars more in tune with America than tv personalities…at least they are not whores, paid for their opinion

100 | June 20, 2013 7:27 pm

well, isn’t this nice…
    Boehner, showing off his keen grasp of politics and astute powers of observation, finally gets what I’ve been yelling about for FORTY YEARS!
    this is the GOP, the cats you support with your precious time and money…

101 | June 20, 2013 7:31 pm

when a dumb ass blue collar guy like me is out in front of the Speaker of the House by decades, you might consider their leadership…Boehner mentions 7.5% unemployment the new norm…duh…he’s just now figuring this out?

102. eaglesoars
    102 | June 20, 2013 7:49 pm

heysoos wrote:

@ eaglesoars:

She was born to a Baltimore politician and cut her teeth on it. She’s married to a multi-millionaire (Paul?) from California who does the real estate thing. They own a winerie or 5. Think they use union labor?

*ahem*

103 | June 20, 2013 8:01 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    she is part of the AmIdol info complex…I have no use for her or her wine…paying people for their opinion, influencing people because of your tv ratings is repulsive to me…even tho this is what people demand, I’m not a part of it…you touch the FOX news button at my house and I’ll cut your fingers off…I don’t do pop news…the vast wealth generated by this totally fake industry is the biggest reason we have this mess on our hands…I don’t trust anybody…in principle there is no difference to me if you watch MSNBC or whatever it is, to watching FOX news…it’s about influence, not truth

104 | June 20, 2013 8:08 pm

liberals are like Orcs…vast armies of half wit, semi human creatures…screeching, and clammoring, and shitting on everything…feed them, dope them up and send them to the polls…perfect

105. eaglesoars
    105 | June 20, 2013 8:17 pm

heysoos wrote:

you touch the FOX news button at my house and I’ll cut your fingers off…

I’m watching O’Reilly now. Are we still friends?

106 | June 20, 2013 8:25 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    of course…late in the day after so much insanity, I get a lot less forgiving, I become more hostile, my cynicism goes into orbit and I start throwing punches…at the media, the feds, liberals and anyone else that gets in my way…I try to relax, post some music or chill

107 | June 20, 2013 8:29 pm

NBA Finals
    game 7
    30min

108. eaglesoars
    108 | June 20, 2013 9:08 pm

heysoos wrote:

late in the day after so much insanity, I get a lot less forgiving,

If memory serves, bongs can come in handy

enjoy the game -- I have to catch up on some reading I missed today