The reliably unreliable Colin Powell

by Speranza ( 118 Comments › )
Filed under Barack Obama, Election 2008, Elections 2012 at August 6th, 2013 - 3:00 pm

Whether it is breaking faith with the Republican Party which advanced his career far above his mediocre talents, or his cyber affair with a Romanian communist sympathizer 30 years his junior (and whose English grammar is amusing) thereby betraying his wife Alma, Colin Powell is not exactly a  pillar of loyalty.

by Jeanne De Angelis

In 2008 and then again in 2012, after retired four-star General Colin Powell endorsed and then voted for Barack Obama, the former Secretary of State’s sanity was already in question. At least now, after having his email account hacked by high-level security-breacher Guccifer, Colin Powell’s besmirching of the Republican Party’s “shift to the right” and “identity crisis” finally makes sense.

It seems that for years the mannerly and always professional Colin Powell has been cyber-comporting with a 46-year-old Romanian European Parliament member, Social Democrat, and past spokesperson for Romanian president Ion Iliescu named Corina Creţu. So it’s safe to say that Colin Powell was probably the one in the throes of an “identity crisis.”

As vice chair of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats in the European Parliament, Corina Creţu, who once called Powell the “love of her life,” had, on occasion, spoken out against cruelty to women worldwide. Yet thanks to her progressive mindset, seducing in hopes of ‘sharing’ someone else’s husband must not be a problem for her.

The fact that Colin Powell would associate with a communist sympathizer, never mind carry on titillating banter with a woman 30 years his junior, indicates risky and immature behavior just a notch above Weinergate. Either way, the revelations do put into context Powell’s ability to support progressive socialist Barack Obama. General Powell lowered standards within his marriage, which apparently translated into lower standards politically.

Not for nothing, but it is kind of ironic that Colin Powell, whom many believed voted for Barack Obama simply because he’s black, cyber-cheated on his African-American wife Alma with a blonde Marxist from Romania.

[.......]

In an older email, Corina Creţu wrote Powell “Good weather to make you come,” to which he responded, “You and the weather could make that happen.” Yikes, General Powell, who knew?

Then, when the famously fickle Powell attempted to end the cyber-canoodling, much like the Republican Party came to realize in 2008 and 2012, Ms. Creţu probably noticed that something about the general had changed.

Clearly dejected and heartbroken, Creţu wrote, “I am sorry, we are completely deplorable as we don’t assume what we had together [sic].” Over the past few years, the spurned Romanian official intermittently provoked the general in emails that indicated that her fluency in English probably wasn’t what attracted the articulate statesman in the first place.

Nonetheless, in late 2011, Corina the Persistent dropped Powell another lovelorn lamentation, where she said she missed him… loved him “too, much, too many years… [and] fond finally a reaistc love [sic].” Included in Creţu’s sentiments was no doubt the same thing that Republicans have been contemplating about Colin Powell for years: “I hope to be at least afriend to you [sic].”

Recently, the notorious Guccifer hacked into Powell’s AOL account. Fearing the worst, the general’s reaction was similar to the one Anthony Weiner had when he requested that Sydney Leathers scrub their erotic exchanges. Allegedly, Colin Powell also asked the Romanian seductress to delete their emails.

Sorry, but only in Obama-supporter circles could you have a Huma and an Alma being cheated on by a Weiner and a Colin.  [..........]

When nabbed, unlike Mr. Weiner the former Secretary of State did not bring up his commitment to the middle class, but he did confess that during his tenure at the State Department, he and Corina “occasionally attended the same diplomatic and international meetings.” The diplomatic nature of the relationship was confirmed in an email in which Corina asked, “Is first time when you tell me, dplomatically, of course, that is better not to speak until the holiday [sic]?”

[.........] Let us consider that this is a two-timing, I mean two-time Obama supporter who pledges faithfulness to the Republican Party and, despite admitted online cheating claims, he’s been faithful to his wife for half a century.

What Colin has failed to explain was how he made the jump from potential Republican presidential candidate to supporting a left-winger like Obama, or how the conversation changed from diplomatic and international affairs to suggestions that Corina lie naked sipping wine with him on a couch.

Mr. Powell clarified: “Those type [sic] of e-mails ended a few years ago. There was no affair then, and there is not one now.”

[........]

To date, the perpetually-conflicted Colin Powell remains married to the very classy Alma, and if you can believe it, as of January 2013 still considered himself a member of the Republican Party. Quintessential Colin Powell: Faithfulness in word, but in deed, evidently not so much.

In the end, the moral of the story is this: after being disloyal to a party that would have supported him all the way to the White House and straying from a wife who has stood by him for 50 years, it’s clear now that Colin Powell’s unfaithfulness is something Americans can count on.

Read the rest -  The dependably undependable Colin Powell

Comments

118 Responses to “The reliably unreliable Colin Powell”

1 | August 6, 2013 3:05 pm

I always thought Colin Powell was a fraud.

2 | August 6, 2013 3:06 pm

I have no doubt that Powell was boinking that communist.

3 | August 6, 2013 3:11 pm

Romania, Romania…

4 | August 6, 2013 3:12 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

Romania, Romania…

They make good tenderloin steaks there. :)

5. 5 | August 6, 2013 3:12 pm

@ Speranza:

I wasn’t particularly impressed with him before he did the Sec State thing, and was even less impressed with him after his tenure. This doesn’t really make me think less of him for not other reason than that I never had a high opinion of him to begin with.

6 | August 6, 2013 3:13 pm

Same here

7 | August 6, 2013 3:14 pm

Speranza wrote:

I have no doubt that Powell was boinking that communist.

It recalls the “Captain Boning” chapter of “The Ugly American.”

8. Colin Powell
    8 | August 6, 2013 3:15 pm

I was getting some on the side. I voted for Obama so that makes up for any indiscretion I have had.

9. Colin Powell
    9 | August 6, 2013 3:16 pm

As my friend Obama said, this is a phony scandal.

10. Colin Powell
    10 | August 6, 2013 3:18 pm

You fail to recognize my intellectual genius. My name shall be uttered centuries from now, while others will be forgotten into the dust bin of history.

11. Colin Powell
    11 | August 6, 2013 3:21 pm

People just hate me because I am the awesome Colin Powell.

12 | August 6, 2013 3:24 pm

Colin Powell wrote:

I was getting a some on the side.

Old joke:

You getting any on the side?

I haven’t had any in so long, I didn’t know they’d moved it!

13. 13 | August 6, 2013 3:25 pm

Well, I can see where someone who was hard up for a piece of tail might think this commie rat bag attractive. She’s not worth selling out every single principle you may have had plus your nation’s well being though. Better than self abuse maybe, but that’s where it ends, at least from my perspective.

Unfortunately, Colin did not feel the same.

14. Colin Powell
    14 | August 6, 2013 3:28 pm

@ Flyovercountry:

Don’t hate the player, hate the game!

15 | August 6, 2013 3:31 pm

steroids in sports is more relevant than this tabloid gossip

16 | August 6, 2013 3:31 pm

Flyovercountry wrote:

Unfortunately, Colin did not feel the same.

At the risk of pointing out something politically incorrect, he was getting a white woman.

17 | August 6, 2013 3:33 pm

@ Speranza:

The Armitage incident ended any respect I ever had for him.

18 | August 6, 2013 3:34 pm

@ Colin Powell:
    General Colin Powell you are the greatest American general since Ulysses S. Grant.

19 | August 6, 2013 3:35 pm

Well maybe the greatest American general since Ambrose E. Burnside.

20 | August 6, 2013 3:35 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

A Romanian woman is white? Who knew??

21 | August 6, 2013 3:36 pm

steroids in sports is more relevant than this tabloid gossip

We already did a steroid thread.

22. Colin Powell
    22 | August 6, 2013 3:36 pm

@ Speranza:

Thank you for recognizing my great military skills. I won the Gulf War all with tactics that would put Hannibal to shame.

23. Colin Powell
    23 | August 6, 2013 3:37 pm

@ Speranza:

Stop hating my game!

24. Colin Powell
    24 | August 6, 2013 3:38 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

Some Vanilla in life is good!

25 | August 6, 2013 3:40 pm

M. Şerif Yıldırım @DrYldrm

George W. Bush undergoes surgery for blocked artery. He will die because of prays of Iraqi people…
    9:19 AM -- 6 Aug 2013

HT Twitchy.
    There are all kinds of vile tweets, but this one is actually unintentionally humorous.
    Serif, you are to being a wild & crazy guy. You are being really good with infidel English, talking about “prays of Iraqi people.”
    You are being spending Kafir money very gooder to be learning English.

26. 26 | August 6, 2013 3:43 pm

You just have to know that this guy was a thug under Saddam Hussein. For him things were better under Saddam Hussein.

27 | August 6, 2013 3:43 pm

Speranza wrote:

A Romanian woman is white? Who knew??

Well, close enough for government work—particularly after being thoroughly steamed.

She looks pretty pale in the pic.

28 | August 6, 2013 3:44 pm

Yeah, he sounds like it.

29. eaglesoars
    29 | August 6, 2013 3:44 pm

Nope. Sorry. Not buying it. Powell is a loser, no doubt, but -excuse the phrase -- I’m going to need much more evidence before I question his patriotism.

And speaking personally, Romania is known for trying to exploit the honey trap. No links, just personal experience. I just don’t think he would have fallen for it.

Alma, btw, from what I’m told, is indeed a very nice person. But she has suffered most of her life from clinical depression. That was the deciding facter in Powell’s decision to not run for president.

30 | August 6, 2013 3:44 pm

A General’s Weiner pics! Right up there with all renowned civilizations

31 | August 6, 2013 3:53 pm

Wanna cheap lemon?
    Government Motors Slashes Volt Prices To Sell Them (At A Loss)
    On the backs of the American Tax payer. Obama, the most successful robber baron in recorded human history!

32. eaglesoars
    32 | August 6, 2013 4:02 pm

@ waldensianspirit:

talk about cognitive dissonance. We elected Obama twice but we’re not stupid enough to buy that POS

33 | August 6, 2013 4:10 pm

Fort Hood Shootings @FtHoodShootings

#Hasan apologizes; not for killing soldiers, but for “mistakes” in helping to establish strict version of Muslim religion.
    10:02 AM -- 6 Aug 2013

HT Twitchy.
    The guy admitted that he is the shooter & never denied it.
    You would think that they could go directly to the penalty phase, but because it is a trial with a possible death penalty, the military court can’t accept a guilty plea.
    When this happened Charles wen’t into some weird jag that Hassan can’t be a Jihadi, or he would not have been promoted to Major.

34. BatGuano
    34 | August 6, 2013 4:10 pm

Colin Powell wrote:

I won the Gulf War all with tactics that would put Hannibal to shame.

That is right. Hannibal also had overwhelming air superiority , GPS and high tech tanks.But your tactics were crucial! Hannibal had Gisgo and you only had Schwartzkopf. :)

35 | August 6, 2013 4:15 pm

BatGuano wrote:
    I always liked Schwartzkopf briefings:

36. BatGuano
    36 | August 6, 2013 4:27 pm

@ waldensianspirit:
    I watched his briefings daily in ’91. He was kind of a Patton like character without the profanity. Mission oriented. It is too bad during WW2 we didn’t have the technology for Patton briefings. That would have been fun!They could cut to Eisenhower with his head in his hands.

37. BatGuano
    37 | August 6, 2013 4:39 pm

And to think, I actually considered Powell ,in the late ’90′s as a presidential candidate. To whatever forces compelled him not to run I am grateful.

38 | August 6, 2013 4:40 pm

Colin Powell wrote:

@ Speranza:

Like Obama -- is there anything you cannot do?

39 | August 6, 2013 4:40 pm

Colin Powell wrote:

@ Speranza:
    Stop hating my game!

I thought that cricket would be your game.

40. BatGuano
    40 | August 6, 2013 4:41 pm

Speranza wrote:

Like Obama — is there anything you cannot do?

Tell the truth?

41. BatGuano
    41 | August 6, 2013 5:03 pm

Speranza wrote:

I thought that cricket would be your game.

Apparently everyone is on an extended pee break.

42 | August 6, 2013 5:04 pm

I don’t care how many people a war winning general screws over. That being said I don’t classify Colin Powell as a war winning general. Norman Schwarzkopf…

43 | August 6, 2013 5:06 pm

darkwords wrote:

Schwarzkopf was a great tactician but a geopolitical naif.

44 | August 6, 2013 5:06 pm

we are the polite military these days. Sort of like the Officer Corps in the old British Army. Words hurt more than sticks or stones.

45 | August 6, 2013 5:06 pm

BatGuano wrote:

Speranza wrote:
    I thought that cricket would be your game.

Apparently everyone is on an extended pee break.

Commute time.

46 | August 6, 2013 5:07 pm

BatGuano wrote:

Speranza wrote:
    Like Obama — is there anything you cannot do?

Tell the truth?

The truth is irrelevant. There is that which helps your cause and that which hurts it.

47 | August 6, 2013 5:08 pm

Speranza wrote:

darkwords wrote:

Scwarzkopf was a great tactician but a geopolitical naif.

I always thought the vaunted ‘Left Hook’ was tactically pretty obvious

48 | August 6, 2013 5:08 pm

@ 43 Speranza: He was probably constrained more. I didn’t see any geo politics come out of him. Just that narrowly defined theater. Inside that theater he was a killer. Lots of errors after the battles.

49. BatGuano
    49 | August 6, 2013 5:08 pm

Speranza wrote:

Commute time.

I see. I’m on the west coast and I knew that!

50. BatGuano
    50 | August 6, 2013 5:11 pm

I always thought the vaunted ‘Left Hook’ was tactically pretty obvious

It was. Any decent commander in history would have looked at that possibility.

51 | August 6, 2013 5:11 pm

BatGuano wrote:

You weren’t the only one. Back in 2000-2006 this guy was The Great Black Hope of the Republican Party.
    He was going to be the First Black President.

That really worked out well.

52 | August 6, 2013 5:12 pm

Love knows no bounds. But anyone who falls in love with a married person and is heartbroken over rejection wrote their own story.

I think rap music suggests all men are dogs. Women should be faithful and men don’t have to care about it. That thought has flowed through a few culturally black women’s twitter feeds lately as they deal with infidelity. One said a high standard for myself, but not for my man. He is who he is.

53 | August 6, 2013 5:15 pm

I think we can safely assume every US general has a mistress in every port? The ones who didn’t have been demoted for being politically incorrect.

54. 54 | August 6, 2013 5:20 pm

@ Colin Powell:

Oh it’ll be uttered all right. And the words “turncoat dumbass” will also be in the immediate vicinity.

55 | August 6, 2013 5:24 pm

BatGuano wrote:

I always thought the vaunted ‘Left Hook’ was tactically pretty obvious
    It was. Any decent commander in history would have looked at that possibility.

even the Roman legions were sensitive about their right flank, having their shields on their left arm…pretty basic, an open flank and nothing behind you

56. 56 | August 6, 2013 5:24 pm

@ BatGuano:

It is similar to the way the Hitler got past the supposedly invulnerable Maginot Line. Saddam Hussein thought he was going to fight a repeat of the Iran-Iraq War. The First Gulf War is another example for how our political leaders will snatch defeat out of the jaws of Victory after our Military has kicked ass.

57 | August 6, 2013 5:44 pm

Viet Nam…
    58000+ dead down the tubes in the blink of an eye…that was the day I began to hate democrats

58. 58 | August 6, 2013 5:48 pm

@ heysoos:

Yep, I was a very small child when Vietnam ended, but I remember the Fall of Saigon to a degree. The Democrats started the Vietnam War, and they in Congress made Vietnam a defeat. The Democrats also helped the Russians during the Cold war.

59 | August 6, 2013 5:50 pm

heysoos wrote:

pretty basic, an open flank and nothing behind you

Like a hospital gown

60. 60 | August 6, 2013 5:56 pm

@ waldensianspirit:

And doing what we did, we could have trapped Hussein’s army in Kuwait and destroyed them in detail. We chose not to do that, just as we chose to allow Saddam Hussein to stay in power.

61 | August 6, 2013 6:02 pm

@ heysoos:

my brother who I worship did almost three tours before he got sick and came back…he was drafted but he somehow inspired both my sisters boyfriends and they signed up…I was the runt…unreal, one boyfriend died 3 days after he got there and the other died 3 days before his time was up, no shit…my best friend was killed over there, another lost a leg and another lost an eye…it was devastating, a heart wrenching, soul killing time…my exMarine patriot dad was totally wiped out…it just gutted families and friends and all for nothing…the democrats just blinked and kept going

62 | August 6, 2013 6:14 pm

3 rules…
    the govt is not my friend…
    the govt will use me or harm me or both…
    the govt takes care of itself first, no exceptions

63 | August 6, 2013 6:32 pm

Desert Storm also showed just how valuable modern technology is on the battlefield. We had long range communications, aerial and satellite recon, GPS, and drones. The Iraqis had relatively modern tanks, but no means of command and control beyond line-of-sight.

We destroyed their air force on the ground, for the most part. They had no satellites. They couldn’t even talk to their troops in the field, because we destroyed all their land lines and antennas.

They were basically reduced to fighting at a pre-WWII level as a result.

64 | August 6, 2013 6:40 pm

As I understand it where they had gps, the US military used it!

66. eaglesoars
    66 | August 6, 2013 6:55 pm

3 rules…
    the govt is not my friend…
    the govt will use me or harm me or both…
    the govt takes care of itself first, no exceptions

I bet I could design a cross stitch design for that.

‘Nam was a mess. I lost friends. Who among our generation didn’t? And for what? What the hell were we going to do with it? Stop the Chinese? Not bloody likely.

Here in the Wash D.C. area, you can map the wars of the world by noting the ethnicity of the new restaurants that open. They all come here. I remember walking into a bank during the Afghan war (Russian invasion) and there were these men in Afghan/Muslim dress there. They were openly armed and no one blinked an eye.

67 | August 6, 2013 6:57 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

As I understand it where they had gps, the US military used it!

The Iraqis didn’t have GPS in 1991. Neither did anyone else outside of western militaries. Civilian GPS didn’t exist at the time, and it was restricted technology.

All that changed under Clinton.

Honestly, the military GPS receivers we had back then were pretty useless. They were big, heavy, ate batteries like popcorn, and were so weak that they wouldn’t even get a signal through the canvas top of a vehicle.

You can buy something today for $129 at Target that we would have killed for back then.

68 | August 6, 2013 7:11 pm

if wishes were horses, beggars would ride

69. 69 | August 6, 2013 7:14 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

Fort Hood Shooter Gets To Grill His Own Victims

I think the victims would rather have it this way around.

I know I would

70. eaglesoars
    70 | August 6, 2013 7:17 pm

Civilian GPS didn’t exist at the time, and it was restricted technology.

You have NO idea how happy I am that my father did not have GPS. I would have never survived.

71 | August 6, 2013 7:19 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Civilian GPS didn’t exist at the time, and it was restricted technology.

what’s the connection between you, your father and GPS?

72 | August 6, 2013 7:25 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

My father had the worst sense of direction. He could get lost going around the block.

73. 73 | August 6, 2013 7:26 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Romania is known for trying to exploit the honey trap

I find references to Czech, East German and Russian honey-traps; but I’m not turning up much for Romania.

I know that Ian Pacepa has claimed this, but . . .

Ceaucescu’s Romania was to the Warsaw Pact what France was to NATO. It went its own way and became something of a hermit-kingdom, like Albania and North Korea.

It doesn’t stand much to reason that Romania would have made this much effort, when there were Czechs and native Russians on hand, who are cuter anyway.

74. 74 | August 6, 2013 7:29 pm

- but maybe the Romanians are getting into the honeypot thing post Communism. For the $.

75. brookly red
    75 | August 6, 2013 7:33 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

As I understand it where they had gps, the US military used it!

All that changed under Clinton.

I hear the Pali terror rocket crews just luv googel maps….

76 | August 6, 2013 7:35 pm

@ brookly red:
    ah, there you are right on schedule with all the promise of keen insight…I wonder what the lurkers think of this blog

77. Calo
    77 | August 6, 2013 7:38 pm

@ heysoos:
    We are called keen eyed observers, not lurkers.

78. brookly red
    78 | August 6, 2013 7:38 pm

@ brookly red:

that’s funny because as far as I can tell you never care about what anyone thinks about anything. Well maybe about Savoy Brown, but other than that, nada.

79. CynicalConservative
    79 | August 6, 2013 7:40 pm

@ heysoos:
    Mostly I don’t give a shit. Your mileage may vary.

/galt

80. brookly red
    80 | August 6, 2013 7:45 pm

Calo wrote:

@ heysoos:
    We are called keen eyed observers, not lurkers.

I gotta remember that… I was observing, not leching… yeah observing. That’s the ticket!

81. Calo
    81 | August 6, 2013 7:46 pm

@ CynicalConservative:
    Heh.

82. 82 | August 6, 2013 7:46 pm

What is somewhat surprising to me is that with all the massive advances we’ve had in military technology, our main infantry arm (i.e. rifles, SAWs, and GPMGs) have had only minor mostly cosmetic changes. Our primary cartridges are still 5.56 or 7.62, our rifles are M-4s instead of M16s, but the changes are small between the two weapons. The technology behind them is 50 years old at least. I think that the 5.56X45 NATO round has seen the longest peiod of being our standard caliber ever. I had hoped that we would move over to the 6.8 SPC as our primary round, but that is out of the question now. It is a pity, because the 6.8 round is pretty much the best of all possible worlds ammunition wise. In any event, we haven’t seen the rapid change in infantry weapons that we’ve seen in most other areas of the military.

83 | August 6, 2013 7:47 pm

brookly red wrote:

@ brookly red:

so do you think that the House republicans should vote against any funding for Obamacare?…would that be the same as voting to impeach Holder? in terms of future elections?

84. brookly red
    84 | August 6, 2013 7:51 pm

brookly red wrote:

@ brookly red:

I think political resistance against 0-care should be total and unrelenting. What connection that has to any action against Holder I fail to see.

85 | August 6, 2013 7:51 pm

.30-06 was the standard infantry rifle caliber for about the same length of time.

.308 only lasted about 8 years.

86 | August 6, 2013 7:54 pm

brookly red wrote:

brookly red wrote:
    @ brookly red:

the connection is that the House resists and many people here have decided that impeaching Holder puts them at electorial risk…it’s fair to ask if voting to defund Ocare carries the same weight considering it’s his hallmark law

87 | August 6, 2013 8:03 pm

Ocare carries the same weight considering it’s his hallmark law

Obamacare is a Hallmark law; when you care enough to destroy the very best.

88. brookly red
    88 | August 6, 2013 8:03 pm

brookly red wrote:

brookly red wrote:
    @ brookly red:

I think any collaboration by any member of the resistance party in regards any policy or person of the current administration or it’s expressed or implied goals qualifies the said collaborator(s)as ennemi du peuple.

89 | August 6, 2013 8:04 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

Ocare carries the same weight considering it’s his hallmark law
    Obamacare is a Hallmark law; when you care enough to destroy the very best.

dude, you might have made millions writing thank you cards…think about it

90 | August 6, 2013 8:07 pm

Yemeni Government Chides U.S. Over Embassy Closure

Yemen on Tuesday slammed the decision by the U.S. and its allies to close their embassies and withdraw diplomatic staff, saying such action plays into the hands of extremists.

“The evacuation of embassy staff serves the interests of the extremists,” the Yemeni government said, adding that it “undermines the exceptional cooperation between Yemen and the international alliance against terrorism.”

91. yenta-fada
    91 | August 6, 2013 8:08 pm

OT Why are these guys getting a paycheck?

92 | August 6, 2013 8:09 pm

What a difference a year makes…

93 | August 6, 2013 8:10 pm

Yemen using BO against himself…I would have sent a battalion of Marines to each post…come get some

94 | August 6, 2013 8:11 pm

So? Are all these embassies getting thoroughly trashed?

95. eaglesoars
    95 | August 6, 2013 8:12 pm

heysoos wrote:

what’s the connection between you, your father and GPS?

he would have ALWAYS been able to find me.

I did not always want to be found.

So I see a fight is about to begin so I’ll see you guys tomorrow.

96. brookly red
    96 | August 6, 2013 8:12 pm

allow my to translate… yo dawg we stepped up fo you wit blood like dat and you punked yo bitch-ass like a crack ho, we gonna dump ya ghetto ass an roll wit Putin like dat.

97 | August 6, 2013 8:15 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

So? Are all these embassies getting thoroughly trashed?

down to the last pebble…this is huge imo…BO has forfeited sovereign territory, without a fight

98 | August 6, 2013 8:16 pm

Lois Lerner Discusses Political Pressure on the IRS in 2010

Newly uncovered video shows Lois Lerner discussing the political pressure that swirled around the IRS in 2010. Lerner says “everyone” was “screaming at” the IRS to stop the flood of money pouring into the 2010 elections through 501(c)(4) groups as a result of Citizens United.

Lerner spoke to a small group at Duke’s Sanford School of Public Policy on October 19, 2010, just two weeks before the wave election that brought the Tea Party and Republicans significant gains in Congress. During her appearance Lerner was asked about the flow of money from corporations to 501(c)(4) groups. “Everyone is up in arms because they don’t like it” Lerner replied, adding “Federal Election Commission can’t do anything about it; they want the IRS to fix the problem.”

Lerner goes on to outline the fact that 501(c)(4) organizations have the right to do “an ad that says vote for Joe Blow” so long as their primary activity is social welfare. However Lerner again emphasizes the political pressure the IRS was under at the time saying, “So everybody is screaming at us right now ‘Fix it now before the election. Can’t you see how much these people are spending?’” Lerner concludes by saying she won’t know if organizations have gone too far in campaigning until she looks at their “990s next year.”

Contrary to Lerner’s statement, everyone did not object to the Citizens United decision. The pushback was clearly partisan with the most high profile opponent being President Obama himself. Days after the decision, Obama used his weekly radio address to attack the ruling saying it would “open the floodgates” to special interest advertising in elections.

99 | August 6, 2013 8:17 pm

@ brookly red:

Something like that, yeah

100. brookly red
    100 | August 6, 2013 8:17 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

So? Are all these embassies getting thoroughly trashed?

indeed

101 | August 6, 2013 8:22 pm

@ brookly red:

Even the embassy in Yemen hasn’t been completely evacuated. The security forces are still there.

The rest are just shut down for the moment. None of them have been “abandoned.”

102 | August 6, 2013 8:23 pm

time to nuke Yemen

103. yenta-fada
    104 | August 6, 2013 8:26 pm

Sometimes when you guys talk about a third political party, I think it would be nice to have even two. /

105 | August 6, 2013 8:27 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

No kidding

106 | August 6, 2013 8:29 pm

be nicer if we didn’t need political parties…our doom

106. BatGuano
    107 | August 6, 2013 8:30 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

Why the sarc tag? I think it was fine as it was. :)

107. BatGuano
    108 | August 6, 2013 8:32 pm

be nicer if we didn’t need political parties…our doom

Some of the founders felt the same way. But they banded together based on their beliefs and called themselves something to distinguish themselves from the others.

108. 109 | August 6, 2013 8:35 pm

The 2 Party system has been a cancer on this country. It does not give us a real choice. It’s a matter of voting for who you hate less.

110 | August 6, 2013 8:35 pm

BatGuano wrote:

be nicer if we didn’t need political parties…our doom

the sport of politics

111 | August 6, 2013 8:35 pm

@ BatGuano:

It’s pretty much inevitable that parties of some sort will develop.

111. 112 | August 6, 2013 8:36 pm

New thread.

113 | August 6, 2013 8:36 pm

yep…I’m done with that, gone like a cool breeze

113. brookly red
    114 | August 6, 2013 8:37 pm

I kind of agree but I would say for the last 20 years or so I have never voted for anybody, I vote against the other guy.

114. BatGuano
    115 | August 6, 2013 8:37 pm

Right! We should have one party, “The peoples Front of America!”, e.g.

115. BatGuano
    116 | August 6, 2013 8:38 pm

brookly red wrote:

You and me both. The last enthusiastic ballot I cast was for Reagen

117 | August 6, 2013 8:40 pm

@ BatGuano:

Right! We should have one party, “The peoples Front of America!”, e.g.

Otherwise known as OFA

117. BatGuano
    118 | August 6, 2013 8:48 pm

Otherwise known as OFA

” Under the federal tax code 501(c)(4) the group will have tax-exempt status as long as it is not primarily involved in activity that could influence an election.”

Did they have a problem getting that status? I think not.