The Calico Dragon (1935)

by Bunk X ( 179 Comments › )
Filed under Art, History, Humor, Media, Music, OOT, Open thread at August 17th, 2013 - 9:00 pm

In the early days of animation, many companies were competing for movie theater bookings as a box-office draw, just as comic strips sold newspapers. Both were aimed at an adult audience.

The Calico Dragon is not spectacular until you consider that early film animation was a brute-force endeavor. At 12-16 frames per second, a five minute short could require 4,800 cells, sketched, inked and painted by hand, sandwiched under glass one at a time over the adjusted moving background, and each cell photographed by a motion picture camera capable of shooting one frame at a time. Then they had to develop and edit the film, add an etched soundtrack AND make duplicates of the master to distribute. Talk about labor-intensive artistry. Were it not profitable, no sane human would have bothered with it.

Harman-Ising figured out a way to animate fabric patterns, not just for the backgrounds, but for the moving figures.

I don’t blame you if you don’t watch the whole thing – the cloying sappiness of it all was tiring for me, too – so jump to The Dragon Song at about 04:20. I’ll wait.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Did you spot it? Happens at about 05:25. It wasn’t blatant but the song and the subtle innuendo had to have been an inside joke to the animators.

CALICO DRAGON
[Cell image via Tralfaz.]

So with that out of the way, it’s PPPL Night on The Overnight Open Thread.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments

179 Responses to “The Calico Dragon (1935)”

1. 1 | August 17, 2013 9:04 pm

Those dragon heads look like something from “Stitch”….

2. 2 | August 17, 2013 9:13 pm

Stitch was an a hole.

3 | August 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Like Lilo and Stitch Stitch?

4. rain of lead
    4 | August 17, 2013 9:27 pm

penis penis penis lol….
    oh wait, wrong website

5. eaglesoars
    5 | August 17, 2013 9:32 pm

Ok, I don’t get it.

6. 6 | August 17, 2013 9:37 pm

@ rain of lead:
    @ eaglesoars:

We’ve been tag-teaming for the top sluts slots for Google Search.

7 | August 17, 2013 9:38 pm

If I play a long video will it it “bog” the thread down more than a short vid?

8. 8 | August 17, 2013 9:39 pm

@ Bumr50:
    Yeah. That bastard screwed Lilo out of a sequel.

9. 9 | August 17, 2013 9:40 pm

@ Bumr50:
    Like it matters?
    (No, a link is a link.)

10 | August 17, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks, smartass!:-)

Here’s some fresh Phish!

11. eaglesoars
    11 | August 17, 2013 9:45 pm

@ rain of lead:
    @ eaglesoars:
    We’ve been tag-teaming for the top sluts slots for Google Search.

dude. way too much time on your hands

12 | August 17, 2013 9:57 pm

Macker wrote:

Those dragon heads look like something from “Stitch”….

Stitch had offspring with one of the gremlins from “Gremlins”.

13 | August 17, 2013 10:00 pm

rain of lead wrote:

penis penis penis lol….
    oh wait, wrong website

Soutpiel, soutpiel, soutpiel lol…

That means you, Piers Morgan!

14. eaglesoars
    14 | August 17, 2013 10:03 pm

ok EVERYBODY on this thread has too much time on their hands

15. 15 | August 17, 2013 10:14 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

@ rain of lead:
    @ eaglesoars:

We’ve been tag-teaming for the top sluts slots for Google Search.

dude. way too much time on your hands

It’s been an ongoing inside joke at DoD for years. Here’s the original.

16 | August 17, 2013 10:21 pm

I went up to Lonetree (one of the southern Denver suburbs) today to check out the new Cabelas that opened on Thursday.

Holy Crap.

They had cops directing traffic…the Douglas County Sheriff’s Department had their mobile command post set up, and an MRAP…there were so many people that they had them park in a park and ride lot on the other side of the Interstate and used shuttle buses to take them to the store.

17. 17 | August 17, 2013 10:26 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

ok EVERYBODY on this thread has too much time on their hands

It’s Saturday Night for goddsakes. Lighten up.

18. eaglesoars
    18 | August 17, 2013 10:27 pm

eaglesoars wrote:
    @ rain of lead:
    @ eaglesoars:
    We’ve been tag-teaming for the top sluts slots for Google Search.
    dude. way too much time on your hands

It’s been an ongoing inside joke at DoD for years. Here’s the original.

Ah. I’m not a DoD person -- I stopped caring about you know who years ago and when I stop I stop

Holy Crap.

very good news

19. eaglesoars
    19 | August 17, 2013 10:29 pm

@ Bunk X:

just not my sense of humor, I guess

20. Calo
    20 | August 17, 2013 10:33 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    The dickishness has started without me, I see.

Off work, finally!

21. eaglesoars
    21 | August 17, 2013 10:35 pm

Off work, finally!

anything interesting?

22. Calo
    22 | August 17, 2013 10:37 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    Some summer market stuff has started to roll in the back door.
    So, there’s that to entertain me.

23. eaglesoars
    23 | August 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Calo wrote:

So, there’s that to entertain me.

entertainment value should never be underestimated.

I’m tired, going to bed. 2 new puppies and I’m exhausted.

24. 24 | August 17, 2013 10:53 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    What did I ever do to you? Honest question.

25. eaglesoars
    25 | August 17, 2013 10:59 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    What did I ever do to you? Honest question.

nothing sweetie, I think the world of you and greatly appreciate the work you do for this blog. It’s just that sometimes I think you ARE REALLY WEIRD.

now it’s time to power down and get some sleep.

26. 26 | August 17, 2013 11:02 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    Thanks for the condescension. That’s one of the reasons I don’t hang around here much anymore.

27. Calo
    27 | August 17, 2013 11:08 pm

@ Bunk X:
    But, she enjoys haysoos in all his dickishness some nights. So, there’s that for entertainment.

28. CynicalConservative
    28 | August 17, 2013 11:10 pm

Um, what?

/I quit

29. Calo
    29 | August 17, 2013 11:15 pm

@ CynicalConservative:
    Too much coffee consumed tonight.
    Fetch me a glass of Merlot and a sammich, please.

That is, if you didn’t go all out Galt already tonight.

30. CynicalConservative
    30 | August 17, 2013 11:19 pm

@ Calo:
    How about dill pickles and tomato sauce. Garden called today. Win 8 sucks (touch screen is interesting). Nothing but stale music on tap so I won’t bork Bunk’s thread.

/galt

31. Calo
    31 | August 17, 2013 11:23 pm

@ CynicalConservative:
    I really hate Windows 8 where is the frikkin’ start icon?

I actually use my phone more these days.

32. CynicalConservative
    32 | August 17, 2013 11:26 pm

@ Calo:
    I still use a KRZR for a phone. Not sure if google records go that far back.

Weird combo of using keyboard, mouse and touch.

/galt

33. Calo
    33 | August 17, 2013 11:31 pm

@ CynicalConservative:
    Fresh tomato sauce? I’m jealous, and so is my spaghetti sauce that’s been simmering in the pot all day for tomorrow’s dinner.

34. CynicalConservative
    34 | August 17, 2013 11:36 pm

@ Calo:
    Hoping for 5-6 gallons this year, crop’s looking good so far.

/galt

35. 35 | August 17, 2013 11:42 pm

@ Calo:
    She can call him sweetie, but when I post a rare animation that I found while searching for something entirely different, and that cartoon just happens to have a three-headed stitched-up singing dragon, illustrated with tongues that deliberately suggest vaginas and a penis, somehow I’m the weirdo?

36. 36 | August 17, 2013 11:47 pm

Tweet of The Day:
    @HistoryInPics: “If you have one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow, you’re pissing all over today.” -- Michael J. Fox http://t.co/US4i6hcdN7
    In other words, he’s a Soutpiel, eh Osprey! :cool:

37. 37 | August 17, 2013 11:48 pm

Here’s the original Tom And Jerry. It’s creep-o.

The comic strip Mutt ‘n Jeff morphed into the animated Tom n’ Jerry.

[BTW. the soundtrack for that racist bit was by King Oliver. Louis Armstrong played 2nd trumpet in one of Oliver's bands.]

38. 38 | August 17, 2013 11:52 pm

@ Bunk X:

Ah, two Creepy-Ass Crackas! Good thing they weren’t Otherwise!

39. Calo
    39 | August 17, 2013 11:52 pm

@ Bunk X:
    Bunk, your posts always have some type of knowledge to soak up even without clicking the links in it leading to more fun facts. Your mind is extremely creative with an eye out for retro and offbeat stories, art and music, Sorry some missed the meme.

40. 40 | August 17, 2013 11:52 pm

@ Macker:
    What does MJFox’ comment even mean? Ignore the past and the future, and live as a #rumpswab?

41. 41 | August 17, 2013 11:56 pm

@ Calo:
    Chicks dig me.

42. Calo
    42 | August 17, 2013 11:57 pm

Ok, Sweetie. ;*

43. 43 | August 18, 2013 12:02 am

@ Calo:
    Is that an emoticon with an asshole on its face? I’m a bit behind the times.

44. 44 | August 18, 2013 12:15 am

@ Bunk X:

Good way of putting it, which means he’d fit right in over at The Swamp!

45. 45 | August 18, 2013 12:18 am

A Twitter convo a few days ago was interesting. A supposed “Native American” was cranking on white Europeans for harshing the mellow or something, so I played The Possum Game, and told her that Europeans introduced the buffalo to North America. She spun out.
    But it’s true.
    Buffalo are native to Asia.
    Bison are a different animal and were probably in the Americas before the asians showed up.

46. yenta-fada
    46 | August 18, 2013 12:30 am

Bunk, I just wanna say…

47 | August 18, 2013 12:31 am

@ Bunk X:

Speaking of creep-o, and strange offspring… here’s “Fatty Boom Boom” from Die Antwoord, (The Answer) a South African rap/punk duo.

Lady Gaga takes a trip to South Africa, gets carjacked, has a voodoo curse put on her, and gives birth to a Prawn…

48 | August 18, 2013 12:33 am

@ The Osprey:

…and then eaten by a lion.

49. 49 | August 18, 2013 12:33 am

@ Macker:
    MJFox is an idiot who uses his Parkinson’s as a weapon. It’s a nasty incurable progressive disease, but to use it as a tool to get sympathy in order to promote a liberal agenda is disgusting.

My sister’s boyfriend has it. Parkinson’s is bad news.

50. yenta-fada
    50 | August 18, 2013 12:35 am

@ Bunk X:

We have 15,000 comix in the house. Believe me I’m not bragging. I like early animation. It has an enthusiasm that isn’t cloying.

51. 51 | August 18, 2013 12:36 am

:D
    Don’t misread me on this thread. I’m having fun. Joe Cocker was one of my favorite reggae stars.

52. Calo
    52 | August 18, 2013 12:37 am

@ yenta-fada:
    Oh, Yenta…. Yes, yes, yes!

Thread winner on the OOT.

53. yenta-fada
    53 | August 18, 2013 12:40 am

@ The Osprey:

Just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean you HAVE to do it.
    Yeah.

54. Calo
    54 | August 18, 2013 12:41 am

@ yenta-fada:
    My hubbies dad had a comic strip that ran in a Chicago newspaper. He went on to paint cutsie chicks on Air Force planes during WWII. My kids seem to have inherited that artistic talent, I know they didn’t get the creative gene from me.

55. yenta-fada
    55 | August 18, 2013 12:41 am

@ yenta-fada:
    Oh, Yenta…. Yes, yes, yes!
    Thread winner on the OOT.

It was all worth it to just to see Bunk use an emoticon. :-)

56. yenta-fada
    56 | August 18, 2013 12:43 am

@ yenta-fada:

I seem to remember seeing old posters of those chicks painted on planes on the Antiques Roadshow. They went for high prices.

57 | August 18, 2013 12:43 am

Calo wrote:

He went on to paint cutsie chicks on Air Force planes during WWII.

WWII “nose art” is the best.

58. yenta-fada
    58 | August 18, 2013 12:45 am

Macker wrote:

Tweet of The Day:
    @HistoryInPics: “If you have one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow, you’re pissing all over today.” — Michael J. Fox http://t.co/US4i6hcdN7
    In other words, he’s a Soutpiel, eh Osprey!

You love saying “eh” eh?

59. 59 | August 18, 2013 12:46 am

And excreted by a lion.

60. yenta-fada
    60 | August 18, 2013 12:46 am

@ yenta-fada:

I really like reggae by Brahms.

61. yenta-fada
    61 | August 18, 2013 12:48 am

@ yenta-fada:

You gotta dig the cravat.

62. 62 | August 18, 2013 12:50 am

Just do it.

63. yenta-fada
    63 | August 18, 2013 12:51 am

And excreted by a lion.

Totally rad.

64. Calo
    64 | August 18, 2013 12:53 am

@ The Osprey:
    FIL’s house burned down a few years before he passed and we lost all of his artwork except for a few cherished pieces.

65 | August 18, 2013 12:53 am

yenta-fada wrote:

@ The Osprey:

Just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean you HAVE to do it.
    Yeah.

I’d heard of Die Antwoord for a while but didn’t look them up on Youtube until yesterday, when I was reading a review of Neill Blomkamp’s “Elysium” and the reviewer said Blomkamp should have gotten Ninja from Die Antword to play the role of Max instead of Maaaaaaaat Daaaaaaaamon. The reviewer linked to the Fatty Boom Boom vid and once you have seen it it can’t be unseen, so I needed to share. :lol:

C’mon admit it, the traffic light bit was cute.

66 | August 18, 2013 12:54 am

Arrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhh!

67. yenta-fada
    67 | August 18, 2013 12:56 am

68. 68 | August 18, 2013 12:56 am

:P

69. yenta-fada
    69 | August 18, 2013 12:57 am

@ The Osprey:

That is terrible. The treasures of the work of a lifetime. :-(

70 | August 18, 2013 12:58 am

yenta-fada wrote:

@ The Osprey:

Just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean you HAVE to do it.
    Yeah.

That critter is a Parktown Prawn a large cricketlike insect common in the suburbs of Jo-burg and related to the North American “Jerusalem Cricket” and the Weta of New Zealand which Kirly informs me is pronounced “wet-ah” and not “weetah”.

The Parktown Prawn may have been the inspiration for the alien “prawns” in Neill Blomkamp’s “District 9″.

71. 71 | August 18, 2013 1:02 am

@ yenta-fada:
    One of my earliest ambitions was to be a cartoonist. I found it too easy. That meant that anyone could do it and it wouldn’t pay much. So I got a job scrubbing pots.

72. 72 | August 18, 2013 1:04 am

And yeah, I hate emoticons because they don’t allow trollface. :trollface:

73 | August 18, 2013 1:05 am

And yeah, I hate emoticons because they don’t allow trollface. :trollface:

Yes, but they have rollface :roll: and lolface :lol:

74. Calo
    74 | August 18, 2013 1:06 am

@ Bunk X:
    I was rumbling around DoD the other night looking for a cartoon you drew of CJ walling off his bunker brick by brick to retweet. Do you have a link handy that I can bookmark?

75. yenta-fada
    75 | August 18, 2013 1:06 am

@ The Osprey:

The traffic light bit was cute. Take 2 peyote buttons and set your alarm for Monday. lol

76. yenta-fada
    76 | August 18, 2013 1:08 am

@ yenta-fada:

The guy who does Dilbert prolly doesn’t make much either.

77. yenta-fada
    77 | August 18, 2013 1:10 am

@ The Osprey:

How do you do the eyeroll? My niece said I spend too much time on the computer when I said “eyeroll” during dinner. WTHDIK?

78. yenta-fada
    78 | August 18, 2013 1:11 am

@ Calo:

Bunk’s Chunks ‘toons are brilliant.

79. yenta-fada
    79 | August 18, 2013 1:12 am

@ The Osprey:

So it was YOU who told me to watch “District 9″? Let’s talk.

80. Calo
    80 | August 18, 2013 1:12 am

:roll:

Try roll

81 | August 18, 2013 1:15 am

yenta-fada wrote:

: roll : with no spaces.

82. 82 | August 18, 2013 1:18 am

83. 83 | August 18, 2013 1:20 am

@ yenta-fada:
    District 9 was awesome. Got a pirated DVD. Took me two views to get it.

84. 84 | August 18, 2013 1:21 am

:rock:
    :paper:
    :scissors:
    :roll:

85 | August 18, 2013 1:23 am

yenta-fada wrote:

@ The Osprey:

So it was YOU who told me to watch “District 9″? Let’s talk.

You didn’t find it, um, “lekker”? :lol:

What’s not to like?

Cool South African military hardware.
    A hapless bureaucrat
    Vicious Nigerian gangsters
    Vicious Afrikaner mercenaries
    Manipulative Corporations
    Cat food
    More cat food

86. 86 | August 18, 2013 1:24 am

Totally.

87. yenta-fada
    87 | August 18, 2013 1:24 am

The Osprey wrote:

yenta-fada wrote:
    : roll : with no spaces.

Carp. I’m dyslexic in emoticon.

88. yenta-fada
    88 | August 18, 2013 1:25 am

The Osprey wrote:

yenta-fada wrote:
    @ The Osprey:
    So it was YOU who told me to watch “District 9″? Let’s talk.
    You didn’t find it, um, “lekker”?
    What’s not to like?
    Cool South African military hardware.
    A hapless bureaucrat
    Vicious Nigerian gangsters
    Vicious Afrikaner mercenaries
    Manipulative Corporations
    Cat food
    More cat food

Starring Alien Prawns. Got it.

89. 89 | August 18, 2013 1:28 am

@ The Osprey:
    We get potato bugs occasionally. Ugly mofos.

90 | August 18, 2013 1:28 am

91 | August 18, 2013 1:33 am

@ yenta-fada:
    District 9 was awesome. Got a pirated DVD. Took me two views to get it.

What, you mean the ending? With the flower?
    Dude! That hit me like a sack of bricks.

I’m not going to spoil it for Yenta though if she hasn’t seen it.

92. yenta-fada
    92 | August 18, 2013 1:33 am

2:30 intro? Too old to wait that long./

93. yenta-fada
    93 | August 18, 2013 1:35 am

The Osprey wrote:

@ yenta-fada:
    District 9 was awesome. Got a pirated DVD. Took me two views to get it.
    What, you mean the ending? With the flower?
    Dude! That hit me like a sack of bricks.
    I’m not going to spoil it for Yenta though if she hasn’t seen it.

I’d have to remember the ending to spoil it.

94. yenta-fada
    94 | August 18, 2013 1:37 am

@ yenta-fada:

See, that’s the one good thing about getting old. You forget movies, books, decades. /

95. yenta-fada
    95 | August 18, 2013 1:38 am

Try roll

roll

96. 96 | August 18, 2013 1:41 am

@ Calo:
    That was the work of Johnny Molecule. I liked his simple to-the-point style.

97. yenta-fada
    97 | August 18, 2013 1:43 am

@ Calo:
    That was the work of Johnny Molecule. I liked his simple to-the-point style.

hahaha :roll:

98 | August 18, 2013 1:44 am

@ yenta-fada:
    District 9 was awesome. Got a pirated DVD. Took me two views to get it.

If you liked “District 9″ you’ll probably like “Elysium”. Even though it has

in it. :lol:

99 | August 18, 2013 1:44 am

because it is

100 | August 18, 2013 1:45 am

101 | August 18, 2013 1:49 am

i got to see Ramstein. live…

checkem out.

102. yenta-fada
    102 | August 18, 2013 1:50 am

i got to see Ramstein. live…
    checkem out.

I feel like there might be Irish music coming up.

103 | August 18, 2013 1:50 am

oh ys

104. Calo
    104 | August 18, 2013 1:52 am

@ Bunk X:
    My mistake, but those cartoons still make me laugh.

105 | August 18, 2013 1:52 am

yenta-fada wrote:

hi yenta. havent run ito you. how are ya

106. yenta-fada
    106 | August 18, 2013 1:54 am

yenta-fada wrote:
    hi yenta. havent run ito you. how are ya

So so. Can’t take the suspense.

107 | August 18, 2013 1:54 am

@ Calo:

bagged 2. i’m shot. off till wednesday.

i have nothing left. i havent been this exhausted in 20 yrs.

108. yenta-fada
    108 | August 18, 2013 1:55 am

@ Bunk X:
    My mistake, but those cartoons still make me laugh.

Ditto!

109 | August 18, 2013 1:56 am

thank you! me and mrec coldwarrior were there in boston in 2004

110. yenta-fada
    110 | August 18, 2013 1:58 am

thank you! me and mrec coldwarrior were there in boston in 2004

Ah well…

111 | August 18, 2013 1:59 am

,,,,,

112 | August 18, 2013 2:03 am

may i offer another:

Chorus: Say hey johnny boy, the battle call United we stand, divided we fall Together we are what we can’t be alone We came to this country you made it our home

This man so humble, this man so brave A legend to many, he fought to his grave Saved family and friends from the hardship and horror In a land of depression he gave hope for tomorrow

Say johnny boy this ones for you With the strength of many and the courage of few To what do we owe this man who’s fight Was for the masses, he gave his life

(chorus)

A friend to the locals who dabbled in crime He’d give you a job and he’d give you his time He wasn’t a crook but he couldn’t be conned John knew the difference between right and wrong Say johnny me boy, you live hear no longer Others forgotten, your memories stronger Lets drink to the causes in your life Your family, your friends, the union, your wife

(chorus)

And the boys on the docks needed john for sure When they came to this country he opened the door He said men I’ll tell ya they don’t like our kind Though it starts with a fist it must end with your mind

(chorus)

i was a boy on the dock!

113. 113 | August 18, 2013 2:04 am

@ yenta-fada:
    Scott Adams is an aberration, as is Darby Conley. Newspapers are hurting these days, and comic strips have been supplanted by the internest. Walt Kelly would not have made it in today’s market… or maybe he would have. Bruce Tinsley’s “Mallard Fillmore” is still popular.

In the early 80s I looked into the comics business, and I was told that you had to submit 6 weeks of dailies for review by a syndication (like King Features). The syndicates sold packages, so they could sell a hot popular strip like “Peanuts” and bundle in with losers like “Family Circus” and still make money.

The pay was based on the number of newspapers that purchased the bundle and picked up the comic strip. A typical start up might be $600/month tops. Huge competition with no guarantee.

I’ll also say that drawing is not the hard part. Writing is.

114 | August 18, 2013 2:05 am

i started after the army on the dock, ups. teamster.

i look back and am proud, ‘what starts with your fist must end with your mind.’

teamster 249

115. yenta-fada
    115 | August 18, 2013 2:08 am

,,,,,

116 | August 18, 2013 2:09 am

@ Bunk X:

farside, calvin and hobbes.

what do you do after that?

117. yenta-fada
    117 | August 18, 2013 2:11 am

@ Bunk X:

The drawing is not the hard part for you. I take your point about the writing. Modern audiences have changed cartoons like they have changed movies and TV. Short little attention span and history never happened.

118 | August 18, 2013 2:11 am

@ yenta-fada:

ah, jeez. i drank with them. i know the dubliners.

119 | August 18, 2013 2:14 am

sorry.

120. yenta-fada
    120 | August 18, 2013 2:14 am

@ Bunk X:
    farside, calvin and hobbes.
    what do you do after that?

Art Speigelman “Maus” Frank Miller “Sin City” Alan Moore “The Watchmen”
    All violent.
    Will Eisner has been re-discovered.

121. yenta-fada
    121 | August 18, 2013 2:15 am

< @ yenta-fada:
    guess what?

More German stuff? Social Distortion?

122 | August 18, 2013 2:16 am

heh…

123. yenta-fada
    123 | August 18, 2013 2:16 am

@ yenta-fada:
    ah, jeez. i drank with them. i know the dubliners.

Lucky you. Great voices.

124 | August 18, 2013 2:16 am

why the bold

125. yenta-fada
    125 | August 18, 2013 2:17 am

@ yenta-fada:
    ah, jeez. i drank with them. i know the dubliners.

Wait a minute. You drank with everybody.

126. yenta-fada
    126 | August 18, 2013 2:17 am

why the bold

Dunno. Thought it was just me. Disturbance in the farce.

127 | August 18, 2013 2:18 am

yenta-fada wrote:

tst

128 | August 18, 2013 2:19 am

129. yenta-fada
    129 | August 18, 2013 2:20 am

Started at #119 with the bold.

130 | August 18, 2013 2:20 am

oh canada

131 | August 18, 2013 2:21 am

@ yenta-fada:

we’re going to need a bigger boat.

132. Calo
    132 | August 18, 2013 2:23 am

Totally OT, but I have to ask the question.

Why in the world would you cook a piece ribeye on the grill first and then throw it in the crockpot?

133. 133 | August 18, 2013 2:23 am

The Wild Rover

134 | August 18, 2013 2:24 am

Calo wrote:

GAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

135 | August 18, 2013 2:25 am

>aaaa

136. yenta-fada
    136 | August 18, 2013 2:25 am

@ yenta-fada:
    we’re going to need a bigger boat.

Good, ‘cuz I wanna get these. :-)

‘night OOTsies.

137 | August 18, 2013 2:25 am

v

138. yenta-fada
    138 | August 18, 2013 2:27 am

Calo wrote:

Totally OT, but I have to ask the question.

Don’t talk about religion.

139 | August 18, 2013 2:27 am

@ mfhorn:

ya need to hear the wlf tones or dropkick murpys do this, live.

x

140. Calo
    140 | August 18, 2013 2:27 am

@ yenta-fada:
    Mikimoto pearl clutching tonight.
    Classic. Night.

141. yenta-fada
    141 | August 18, 2013 2:28 am

@ yenta-fada:
    Mikimoto pearl clutching tonight.
    Classic. Night.

Love poils. ‘night again.

142 | August 18, 2013 2:29 am

@ yenta-fada:
    Mikimoto pearl clutching tonight.
    Classic. Night.

its not robotech, sadly,

143 | August 18, 2013 2:31 am

Calo wrote:

Totally OT, but I have to ask the question.

i am stilll angry on that.

144 | August 18, 2013 2:34 am

i just realized this is the oot.

i cant fix it.

145. Calo
    145 | August 18, 2013 2:34 am

This piece of advice landed in my inbox.
    “” you expose the meat to very high temperatures first to seal the surface and char it and trap the juices then you slow cook the crispy critter on low heat.”"

I cried foul. What do I know, but it seemed like an English attempt at a Texas BBQ competition.

146. 146 | August 18, 2013 2:35 am

I had a version on my old Zune. If I could get everything off of it (my hard drive crashed & I’m not having any luck putting the software on the new drive) an on to my ipod, I’d be in great shape! And I can’t find the album it was on, either! :(

147 | August 18, 2013 2:35 am

@ yenta-fada:
    Mikimoto pearl clutching tonight.
    Classic. Night.

i prevented an intube today

148 | August 18, 2013 2:38 am

death to the brits,

ohhhhhh pray for them

149. 149 | August 18, 2013 2:39 am

Bloom County.

150 | August 18, 2013 2:40 am

So, if you highlight something in bold now, will it show up in normal type?

I guess not.

151. 151 | August 18, 2013 2:40 am

The Perry Bible Fellowship.

152 | August 18, 2013 2:42 am

not my job

153 | August 18, 2013 2:43 am

Bloom County.

k. farside

154 | August 18, 2013 2:44 am

The Osprey wrote:

So, if you highlight something in bold now, will it show up in normal type?
    I guess not.

fxd

155. Calo
    155 | August 18, 2013 2:45 am

@ Bunk X:
    Oomph, way too much to read tonight.

156 | August 18, 2013 2:47 am

this is what it is!

157 | August 18, 2013 2:47 am

death to the brits,

ohhhhhh pray for them

158. 158 | August 18, 2013 2:49 am

@ yenta-fada:
    The drawing is NOT the hard part. Look at some of the most successful poorly drafted strips -- B.C. & Wizard of Id, Peanuts, Spy vs. Spy, even Big George.
    Walt Kelly’s POGO was well written AND well drafted.

159 | August 18, 2013 2:49 am

Calo wrote:

This piece of advice landed in my inbox.
    “” you expose the meat to very high temperatures first to seal the surface and char it and trap the juices then you slow cook the crispy critter on low heat.””

it ant right.

160 | August 18, 2013 2:52 am

@ The Osprey:

i cant watch that. i cant.

161. 161 | August 18, 2013 2:56 am

@ yenta-fada:
    I’m not a “adult graphic novel” (i.e. comic book) geek, but The Watchmen was a great series. It wasn’t so much the cool stories, but the attention to graphic detail that got me. Then the writers got bored and killed it all with a radioactive giant octopus or something.

162. 162 | August 18, 2013 2:58 am

163 | August 18, 2013 3:05 am

breaker.

164 | August 18, 2013 3:15 am

@ The Osprey:

i cant watch that. i cant.

Ah, but that poem is simply brilliant. He wrote it the night before they shot him, you know.

“Well, Peter, this is what comes of empire building.”

165 | August 18, 2013 3:16 am

@ Bunk X:

osprey has me at checkmate. i thing its best to look at breaker later.

166 | August 18, 2013 3:19 am

The Osprey wrote:

@ The Osprey:
    i cant watch that. i cant.

“Well, Peter, this is what comes of empire building.”

i read kipling to my girls…

167. 167 | August 18, 2013 3:31 am

i read the riot act to my girls boyfriends

168 | August 18, 2013 3:34 am

Well, it’s important to teach them all about bi-coloured Python rock snakes and young elephants with ” ‘satiable curiosity.” :lol:

“On the banks of the great grey-green greasy Limpopo River, all set about with fever trees.”.

I loved the Just So Stories when I was a little kid. I need to scrounge up a copy and read them again.

169 | August 18, 2013 3:36 am

kipling!

170 | August 18, 2013 3:37 am

The Osprey wrote:

my gir;s love those

171 | August 18, 2013 3:41 am

The Osprey wrote:

i have been reading the mahabarta Bunk X wrote:

i read the riot act to my girls boyfriends

clean the gunz

172 | August 18, 2013 3:49 am

173. 173 | August 18, 2013 4:00 am

A lot of action for this time of day…

174. 174 | August 18, 2013 4:51 am

@ Mike C.:

Or maybe not…

175 | August 18, 2013 6:37 am

ht Ace

/test

176 | August 18, 2013 6:39 am

http://www.investors.com/image/RAMclr_081813_trap_IBD_COLOR_FINALFINAL.gif.cms” alt=”The Sand Trap”

ht Ace

177. 177 | August 18, 2013 10:09 am

kipling!

Don’t those little fishies come in a can with tomato sauce? :twisted:

178 | August 18, 2013 12:07 pm

doriangrey wrote:

kipling!
    Don’t those little fishies come in a can with tomato sauce?

tomato sauce?????

no sir. kippers are to be in oil. no other way!

kipling, of course, is to be read after a bombay sapphire gin and tonic. but that goes without saying.

to expand on churchill:

where there is ice, there is civilization, where there is good gin, english is spoken.

179 | August 18, 2013 1:58 pm

doriangrey wrote:

kipling!
    Don’t those little fishies come in a can with tomato sauce?

tomato sauce?????

no sir. kippers are to be in oil. no other way!

Tomato sauce! Oh God no! That would be an abomination.

You are absolutely correct CW, olive or canola oil. Tomato sauce would totally drown that wonderful subtle smokey flavor.

Speaking of UK type smoked fish delicacies, I’m disappointed I
    I didn’t get a chance to sample some Arbroath Smokies when I was in Scotland. Maybe you can order them online.