Bashar Assad’s American ‘useful idiots’ have turned on him

by Speranza ( 110 Comments › )
Filed under Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Hillary Clinton, Iraq, Joe Biden, Lebanon, Syria at September 3rd, 2013 - 4:00 pm

It is funny seeing folks such as Obama, Hagel, Biden, and Kerry who used to so vociferously criticize W. sound a lot like him today.  As the guys from Powerline have written “Kerry is a man of limited intelligence who loves money and glamour” – proof of that is Kerry’s visits as Senator to Damascus where he became one of Bashar Assad’s biggest boosters back home in America.

by Rowan Scarborough

The Obama national security team that wants to go to war with Syria and demonizes President Bashar Assad is the same group that, as senators, urged reaching out to the dictator.

As a bloc on the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, President Obama, Secretary of State John F. Kerry, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and Vice President Joseph R. Biden all opposed the George W. Bush administration’s playing tough with Mr. Assad.

None grew closer to Mr. Assad and promoted him in Washington more than Mr. Kerry.

“President Assad has been very generous with me in terms of the discussions we have had,” Mr. Kerry, as a senator from Massachusetts, told an audience at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in March 2011. He predicted that Mr. Assad would change for the better.

But that same month, pro-democracy demonstrations erupted in Syria that would lead to a civil war, unmasking Mr. Assad’s brutal tactics, including the Aug. 21 unleashing of nerve gas that killed more than 1,400 civilians.

Today, Mr. Kerry is a leading advocate for attacking Mr. Assad’s regime. On Friday, he called the man he once befriended a “thug and murderer.”

Mr. Hagel is assembling a small armada in the eastern Mediterranean Sea to launch scores of cruise missiles at the Assad regime as punishment for the gas attack. Mr. Obama and Mr. Biden are lobbying allies and Congress to approve an attack.

[......]

When Mr. Assad succeeded his late father, Hafez, as dictator in July 2000, there was hope in Washington that the young ophthalmologist who was trained in London would shift the country from its brutal ways in neighboring Lebanon and its deep association with Iran and terrorism.

‘Constructive behavior’

But in the Bush administration’s view, Mr. Assad proved as devious as his father. He increased ties to Hezbollah and Hamas, two U.S.-designated terrorist groups backed by Iran, and grew even closer to Iran, which used Syria to pass rockets to terrorists.

In 2005, the Assad regime rocked Lebanon by playing a role in Hezbollah’s assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, who had led an anti-Syrian bloc in Beruit.

By that year, Mr. Assad had begun helping al Qaeda by opening his country to jihadists who passed through the Damascus airport on their way to safe houses and then across the border into Iraq, where they killed U.S. troops.

The Bush administration made repeated demands in Damascus for Mr. Assad to stop the flow of al Qaeda killers but saw no progress.

Noting that behavior, the Bush national security team refused to engage Mr. Assad in peace talks until he changed. That stance riled senators, especially Mr. Kerry, Mr. Hagel and Mr. Biden.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice explained the administration’s position on Mr. Assad to the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations in 2007.

[.......]

“But the problem is, they are not engaging in constructive behavior. And we don’t see how that would change, currently, by talking to them.”

Mr. Biden, then the committee’s chairman, scolded her and reminded her of her duties.

“I do not agree with your statement, Madame Secretary, that negotiations with Iran and Syria would be extortion, nor did most of the witnesses we heard in this committee during the last month,” Mr. Biden said. “The proper term, I believe and they believe, is diplomacy, which is not about paying a price but finding a way to protect our interests without engaging in military conflict. It is, I might add, the fundamental responsibility of the Department of State, to engage in such diplomacy, as you well know.”

[.......]

“Have you included in those conversations, whether second- or third-party conversations, Iran and Syria?” Mr. Hagel said. “Because I don’t know how we could come up with any kind of a plan or focus, working with the United Nations or anyone else, if Iran and Syria are not included in that.”

One of Mr. Obama’s major foreign policy positions as a senator was unconditional direct talks with the leaders of Iran over its quest for nuclear weapons.

He also favored talks with Mr. Assad. Once in office, Mr. Kerry became his main emissary to Damascus, engaging in talks there in 2009, a month after Mr. Obama took office, and 2010, marking his third and fourth visits as a senator.

A ‘reformer’

Before the 2009 visit, the U.S. Embassy in Damascus sent a cable to Mr. Kerry and other senators on the trip.

“You should expect an enthusiastic reception by government officials of the Syrian Arab Republic (SARG) and from the media, who will interpret your presence as a signal that the [U.S. government] is ready for enhanced U.S.-Syrian relations,” said the cable, published by the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks.  [........]

At the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in 2011, Mr. Kerry was full of praise for Mr. Assad as the civil war in Syria erupted, and he predicted that the dictator would become a good actor.

“So my judgment is that Syria will move,” he said. “Syria will change as it embraces a legitimate relationship with the United States and the West and economic opportunity that comes with it and the participation that comes with it.”

That month, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, another alumnus of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, told “Face the Nation” on CBS that lawmakers who had visited Mr. Assad considered him a “reformer.” The U.S., she said, did not need to contemplate military action against Syria.

“There’s a different leader in Syria now,” Mrs. Clinton said. “Many of the members of Congress of both parties who have gone to Syria in recent months have said they believe he’s a reformer.”

Conservatives wonder whether Mr. Assad, seeing that those who had scolded the Bush team for not talking to him are now in power, calculated he could put down the unrest in his country without U.S. interference.

[.......]

Read  the rest – Bashar Assad loses U.S. friends as Kerry, Hagel and Biden take Bush’s stance on Syria
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Tags: , , ,

Comments

110 Responses to “Bashar Assad’s American ‘useful idiots’ have turned on him”

1. 1 | September 3, 2013 4:35 pm

TERRORIST TRAFFIC-JAM: Jaw dropping display of Jabhat Al’ Nusra moving their men and some weapons in hundreds of vehicles

Syria: Hundreds of Qaeda Fighters head for Nobul & Zahara, Aleppo

2 | September 3, 2013 4:46 pm

@ Urban Infidel:
    Target rich environment.

3. 3 | September 3, 2013 4:48 pm

@ Speranza:
    I guess according to John McCain they must really love Christmas.

4. 4 | September 3, 2013 4:54 pm

@ Urban Infidel:

Those 2 towns have Hezzie units trapped there. Nursa is getting ready to finish them off.

5. BatGuano
    5 | September 3, 2013 4:55 pm

@ Urban Infidel:
    If those are Al Qaeda, that should be another highway of death.

6. 6 | September 3, 2013 4:57 pm

Goldwaterite wrote:

@ Urban Infidel:

All the more reason for us not to bother.

7. 7 | September 3, 2013 4:57 pm

@ BatGuano:

Its Nusra and its surrounded Hezbollah units they are massing to finish off. Just stay out of it.

8. 8 | September 3, 2013 4:58 pm

@ Urban Infidel:

Exactly let they are both evil. Let them fight.

9 | September 3, 2013 4:58 pm

I have never heard a clip or movie where an American in war shouts ‘Thank G-d!’

10 | September 3, 2013 4:59 pm

Obama killed Osama so he could take his place

11. BatGuano
    11 | September 3, 2013 5:04 pm

Goldwaterite wrote:

Just stay out of it.

Of course we should stay out: there are no good guys in Syria. It’s just that I would love to see the 1991 highway of death visited on Al Qaeda.

12 | September 3, 2013 5:07 pm

Tell Al Qaeda to meet up at an air field for supplies and training; then instead of supplies come in with a C130 gunship:

13. Guggi
    13 | September 3, 2013 5:07 pm

@ BatGuano:

14. BatGuano
    14 | September 3, 2013 5:08 pm

@ Guggi:
    Thank you. Now you got my head bangin’! Hell’s Bells!

15. 15 | September 3, 2013 5:10 pm

@ BatGuano:

If they are going to kill Hezzies just let it be.

16. Guggi
    16 | September 3, 2013 5:10 pm

BatGuano wrote:

@ Guggi:
    Thank you. Now you got my head bangin’! Hell’s Bells!

:-P

17. yenta-fada
    17 | September 3, 2013 5:12 pm

They sound like they are going to the NFL finals. Killing makes them very, very happy. This should be on the MSM every night. It doesn’t even need commentary.

18. Guggi
    18 | September 3, 2013 5:19 pm

BatGuano wrote:

@ Guggi:
    Thank you. Now you got my head bangin’! Hell’s Bells!

Better ?

19 | September 3, 2013 5:27 pm

Hey Rodan, (or should I call you “Goldwaterite” now?), I asked a question in my post #65 last night on the hipster thread, I should have more explicitly directed it to you.

Being the out of touch, middle-aged, “get off my lawn” type Grumpy Old Person that I am, what sort of music does the animal hat crowd listen to? What bands?

20. Buffalobob
    20 | September 3, 2013 5:43 pm

All of the brilliant progs were for Assad before they were against Assad. Note to McCain, let the bastards kill one an other and let your Allah sort them out.

21. 21 | September 3, 2013 6:07 pm

Buffalobob wrote:

All of the brilliant progs were for Assad before they were against Assad

Yeah, ain’t it funny how that works? Pelosie Galore travelled to Damascus, and even wore a scarf so as not to antagonize a man she called a Reformer. Change Presidents and change policy. What I don’t want to see is Republicans giving in on this, but we know Graham and McCain will support it, as will Boehner. I don’t know if they’ll get it through the House. That is really the main question. Obama can get all the Democrats, but will he get enough Republican votes to get it out of the House?

22 | September 3, 2013 6:09 pm

Buffalobob wrote:

Kerry being # 1.

23 | September 3, 2013 6:10 pm

All who vote for need primaried and generally run out of DC town

24 | September 3, 2013 6:10 pm

Speranza wrote:

Kerry being # 1.

He feels CodePink’s pain

25 | September 3, 2013 6:10 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

@ Speranza:
    I guess according to John McCain they must really love Christmas.

The $50 I sent that ****er in 2008 was the worst $50 I ever spent.

26 | September 3, 2013 6:12 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

Speranza wrote:
    Kerry being # 1.
    He feels CodePink’s pain

As the guys from Powerline wrote, Kerry is of limited intelligence and loves money and glamour.

27. 27 | September 3, 2013 6:17 pm

@ waldensianspirit:

I agree. Obama hasn’t made the case for an attack on Syria, and, indeed, would have been against one if George Bush had wanted to invade Syria over their support of al Qaeda in Iraq. Ireally truly would love it if some enterprising Republican would do the research on it, and read back to Obama his arguements against the Surge in Iraq and the War in Iraq period.

28 | September 3, 2013 6:21 pm

Breaking: Hillary Backing Obama On Syria Action
    lol!

Going by her lips she is ripe and fertile

29 | September 3, 2013 6:22 pm

I’ve never felt so little confidence in the intellectual, moral, and prudent capabilities of the American officials in making this sort of decision. Just completely deflated.

30 | September 3, 2013 6:24 pm

For some reason the end of the movie Bridge On the River Kwai where Sir Alec Guinness says “What have I done?” without the actual realization that comes to him at that moment is what I think we as a country are going through with this Rodeo Clown of a President. Really John Kerry as a Secretary of State? Eric Holder as a Attorney General, Joe Biden as a VP? God help us!

31. 31 | September 3, 2013 6:24 pm

Speranza wrote:

Kerry is of limited intelligence and loves money and glamour.

Just the man I’d pick for an inconsequetial post like Sec State in a war-torn world. How lucky we are, to have this man at the helm at a time like this. It is funny. Obama wants to attack Syria for having attacked her people, but was silent on attacking Syria during the Bush years when we were essentially at war with Syria because of their support of al Qaeda in Iraq. One wonders if Obama will discover the joys of taking on Iran if his bid to get us into a war in Syria falls through? I doubt it, becasue Iran is a true danger to America. He wants to nurse them through the painful process of midwifing a nuclear weapons program. That, more than anything, forms the nucleus of my opposition to a war in Syria. By being willing to attack her Obama is signaling that he doesn’t see Syria as a credible threat.

32 | September 3, 2013 6:25 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

Breaking: Hillary Backing Obama On Syria Action
    lol!
    Going by her lips she is ripe and fertile

Wait a minute, she assured us Bashar was a reformer.

33 | September 3, 2013 6:26 pm

And he came very close to being president in 2004.

34. 34 | September 3, 2013 6:38 pm

@ Speranza:

Yeah, I know. Al Gore, though, scared me worse. I’m from Tennessee and have actually met with Al Gore. I’ll be charitable and say that he struck me as dumb as a box of rocks and a Desperate need to be viewed as the intellectual giant that he isn’t. I figure that his actual IQ is within a standard deviation of the mean, but on the downward side of the Bell Curve. I think he is so weak on fundamentals that he might think that said good things about him.

36 | September 3, 2013 6:42 pm

Speranza wrote:

A rogues gallery of incompetence & bad intentions.

37. 37 | September 3, 2013 6:49 pm

Yipee!

Thank God! (trans: alla u akbar) I remembered my password and am in for the duration of the Barakolypse or when the net is switched off……..Which ever comes first.

38. 38 | September 3, 2013 6:51 pm

@ Scott Madsen:

Hey, man! Good seeing you!

39. rain of lead
    39 | September 3, 2013 6:52 pm

Does anyone doubt that we are going to war with syria
    no matter which way the vote goes in congress

40. yenta-fada
    40 | September 3, 2013 6:55 pm

From Washington Free Beacon

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey couldn’t answer what exactly the U.S. was seeking in Syria Tuesday during questioning from Sen. Bob Corker (R., Tenn.) about a resolution authorizing military action there:

DEMPSEY: The answer to whether I support additional support for the moderate opposition is yes.

CORKER: And this authorization will support those activities in addition to responding to the weapons of mass destruction.

DEMPSEY: I don’t know how the resolution will evolve, but I support –

CORKER: What you’re seeking. What is it you’re seeking?

DEMPSEY: I can’t answer that, what we’re seeking.

41. 41 | September 3, 2013 6:56 pm

Good to be here brother.

Shits seems to be gettin real I figured I should be here instaead of a gun forum yuking it up

42. yenta-fada
    42 | September 3, 2013 6:56 pm

rain of lead wrote:

Does anyone doubt that we are going to war with syria
    no matter which way the vote goes in congress

*raises paw*

43 | September 3, 2013 7:01 pm

Scott Madsen wrote:

Good to be here brother.

Haven’t seen you in a while. The past two days has seemed like a Blogmoc reunion with a lot of former posters stopping by.

44. 44 | September 3, 2013 7:01 pm

rain of lead wrote:

Does anyone doubt that we are going to war with syria
    no matter which way the vote goes in congress

Til the underverse come

45. yenta-fada
    45 | September 3, 2013 7:02 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

rain of lead wrote:
    Does anyone doubt that we are going to war with syria
    no matter which way the vote goes in congress
    *raises paw*

*Changes mind*

46 | September 3, 2013 7:03 pm

A rogues gallery of incompetence & bad intentions.

A federation of dunces.

47 | September 3, 2013 7:04 pm

@ Speranza:

He has flipped out since losing in 2000.

48. 48 | September 3, 2013 7:09 pm

Speranza wrote:

Scott Madsen wrote:
    Good to be here brother.

That’s encouraging.

I backed away in the Winter of 2011 due to my wife’s insistence over concerns of personal exposure on the net.

I could not convince her that this place was not just facebook or any chat page and I was dealing with decent people and peers here. She countered with, “that’s what I said about the Swamp”

As we now know, The alphabets make that moot as I expected, as she and any one else paying attention now know.

I’m in

49 | September 3, 2013 7:09 pm

DavidShuster to join Al Jazeera America
    You remember that turd from POMSNBC? He once made a whole news report using metaphors for various ways to say “teabagger”. A real bone head.

When Shuster was still with MSNBC, he famously mocked Tea Party participants. He stated: “For most Americans, Wednesday, April 15, will be Tax Day, but . . . it’s going to be Teabagging Day for the right wing, and they’re going nuts for it. Thousands of them whipped out the festivities early this past weekend, and while the parties are officially toothless, the teabaggers are full-throated about their goals. They want to give President Obama a strong tongue-lashing and lick government spending”

Chelsea Clinton remark and suspension

On February 7, 2008, while he was guest-hosting on Tucker, Shuster discussed Chelsea Clinton’s campaigning for her mother Hillary Clinton, her efforts to influence superdelegates and her refusal to answer any questions by the media. When his guest, Bill Press, pointed out that Bush’s daughters campaigned for their father, Shuster noted the different access rules in each case and responded, “There’s just something a little bit unseemly to me that Chelsea’s out there calling up celebrities, saying support my mom… doesn’t it seem like Chelsea’s sort of being pimped out in some weird sort of way?”

The Clinton campaign demanded an apology and stated that Clinton might not participate in any further primary debates on MSNBC. Shuster was suspended for two weeks from all NBC News and MSNBC appearances for his comments. Before the suspension, Shuster had engaged in a heated e-mail exchange with a Clinton staffer in which he defended his remarks.

50 | September 3, 2013 7:11 pm

Scott Madsen wrote:

That’s encouraging.

I’m in

You were missed. You always had interesting things to say. The past two days you, Eliana, and Jehu stopped by.

51. 51 | September 3, 2013 7:18 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

CORKER: What you’re seeking. What is it you’re seeking?
    DEMPSEY: I can’t answer that, what we’re seeking.

These are the “Best and Brightest” we have running things, clearly. We shouldn’t trouble our pretty little heads worrying about this. That’ve got it all figured out :roll:

This is what will be running the war. And they’ll have to be able to think on their feet. No battleplan lasts much beyond initial contact. Something somewhere will happen. It could be a sandstorm or snipers or disease (natural or unnatural), but Something unepected will happen, and Obama simply can’t think fast.

52 | September 3, 2013 7:24 pm

Dempsey always struck me as being a man of low intelligence (like Kerry) who was a massive suck up to whomever was in power.

53 | September 3, 2013 7:24 pm

Or a camel train nuke

54. 54 | September 3, 2013 7:28 pm

@ Speranza:

Wonderful!

I see a few new handles too.

55. yenta-fada
    55 | September 3, 2013 7:32 pm

Drudge keeps saying that only 9% of Americans support a war in Syria, and yet……cricket protesters. Slack-jawed apathy from academics and the usual suspects.
    Even a leftie notices.

56. 56 | September 3, 2013 7:36 pm

@ yenta-fada:
    I think you’ll find a lot of the opposition to Syria is evinced by people like us. We have jobs, and can’t just drop everything to go to an anti-war rally in DC. The people who were protesting when Bush was President weren’t really against war. They were on the other side. Those same people haven’t changed to being pro-America, but they are pro-Barack Obama.

57 | September 3, 2013 7:37 pm

Kerry says the ‘rebels’ have become more secular as the civil war went along; they are more adherence to democracy.

This guy doesn’t smoke dope; he smokes pure shit and likes it

58. 58 | September 3, 2013 7:48 pm

@ yenta-fada:

I unloaded on my Rep in an email today. I took it about as far as I could without giving invitation for federally pensioned canine exterminators to enter my home at 4:00 AM.

59. rain of lead
    59 | September 3, 2013 7:52 pm

I have my rep and two senators local phone numbers and going to light up their phones tomorrow morning
    not going to waste time calling the dc offices (eh, might try that just for S’s & G’s)

60. rain of lead
    60 | September 3, 2013 7:53 pm

@ waldensianspirit:
    @ Scott Madsen:

ya know that warm stuff hitting your leg…. I’m pretty sure
    it’s not raining

61. yenta-fada
    61 | September 3, 2013 7:55 pm

Scott Madsen wrote:

@ yenta-fada:

Excellent. :-)
    I’m Canadian and ergo a flea on the elephant.

62. rain of lead
    62 | September 3, 2013 7:56 pm

John Kerry, just thinking out loud: I can’t rule out boots on the ground if Syria implodes

they want a war and they are going to move heavan and earth to make sure we get one

63. yenta-fada
    63 | September 3, 2013 7:56 pm

The sheep will look up too late and too little.

64. rain of lead
    64 | September 3, 2013 7:57 pm

@ yenta-fada:

when I call my reps I’ll be sure to mention your name :)

65 | September 3, 2013 8:00 pm

Obama gets up without waking up every morning; takes his prescription uppers and then sets about spending the US dollar into oblivion

66. yenta-fada
    66 | September 3, 2013 8:02 pm

rain of lead wrote:

@ yenta-fada:
    when I call my reps I’ll be sure to mention your name

YAR!

67. rain of lead
    67 | September 3, 2013 8:04 pm

well the anti-war left poked it’s nose up and RS Mccain is pissed
    (not that ,that is a bad thing)

More disruptive hippie peacenik protesters get rousted from Senate #Syria hearing. Damn hippies make me want war, just to spite them.

Medea Benjamin makes me nostalgic for 1968, when Democrats sent Chicago PD to crack some hippie skulls

CODE PINK: Reverse psychology, trying to make patriotic Americans support Obama’s war.

68. yenta-fada
    68 | September 3, 2013 8:05 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

I’d like to have his doctor on my case. :-)

69 | September 3, 2013 8:06 pm

@ yenta-fada:
    Wouldn’t we all. But nay nay; only great health care for the exempt-from-Obamasnare elites

70. yenta-fada
    71 | September 3, 2013 8:07 pm

Iowahawk is making fun of us.

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog 6h
    Wasserman-Schultz: names of those dozens of countries supporting US attack “classified,” along with name of her “hot Canadian boyfriend”

71. rain of lead
    72 | September 3, 2013 8:12 pm

@ yenta-fada:

don’t think he’s mocking Canada, more like Debbie wash-yer-hair Shultz
    and that there is a male on this planet who is bumping uglies with that scrunt

73 | September 3, 2013 8:18 pm

O’reiley & McCain just reminded us all that it is our moral responibility to attack Syria.
    How nice for these moral superiors & what a load of crap.

73. rain of lead
    74 | September 3, 2013 8:25 pm

Top Twenty Wisecracks About John Kerry’s and Chuck Hagel’s Catastrophic Senate Testimony

20. John Kerry looks like Frankenstein had sex with George Hamilton and then someone botched his plastic surgery and left a Boot in his chin

19. Incidentally, Kerry speaks French like Kerry earned all three purple hearts. He rode both of those myths for 40 years.

One of Kerry’s Purple Hearts was awarded for, and I am quoting his military records, “A Case of the Mondays”

18. So a horse walked up to John Kerry and asked “Why the Botox face?”

17. Kerry’s face looks like the footballs they used to use when they were too ckufing stupid to wear helmets

16. Shorter Chuck Hagel: This is the first war in ten years that the Jews didn’t trick us into so Let’s Do This

74. rain of lead
    75 | September 3, 2013 8:25 pm

15. Shorter John Kerry: Obama does not support a total remodel of Syria, but he does want to give the place some color with Accent Bombings

14. Kerry: Obama wants only a limited war, unless this mission which is designed to fail to achieve any purpose fails to achieve any purpose

13. Kerry: Obama will not puts boots on the ground, unless this mission fails, which it is expressly designed to do, and what are the odds of that?

12. Martin Bashir has the first erection he’s had since he checked out Michael Jackon’s Rumpus Room

11. Shorter Kerry: Can you imagine the horror of Assad being left in power which is exactly what our plan is?

76 | September 3, 2013 8:25 pm

@ rain of lead:
    Very good!

76. rain of lead
    77 | September 3, 2013 8:26 pm

10. Ambassador Rice just put out the word that Kerry’s and Hagel’s testimony was caused by a YouTube video

9. John Kerry: I dream of one day having a Middle East as stable and imperturbable as my forehead

8. If you took the best parts of Kerry and Hagel, you’d have one modestly intelligent man whose face didn’t look like an Ogre’s plunder sack

7. John McCain asked to revise and extend the footjob he was giving John Kerry

6. John Kerry: Obama knows how to distinguish Al Qaeda jihadis from “moderate democrats” just like he did in Benghazi when he hired terrorists as security guards

78 | September 3, 2013 8:26 pm

How nice for these moral superiors & what a load of crap.

I hate O’Reilly almost as much as I do McCain.

78. rain of lead
    79 | September 3, 2013 8:27 pm

. I could just sit here quoting Democrats’ words to them all day but as they plainly never believed a syllable of them, what’s the point?

4. Alice just emailed me to say she’s going back to Wonderland because “this shit is wack”

3. Obama’s getting his War Card punched like he’s already got that free sandwich picked out

2. Obama’s plan is just to bomb random countries until the Nobel Prize Committee gets him a green Masters jacket

…and the number one wisecrack about Kerry and Hagel’s testimony…

1. Evolution of US Foreign Policy, 1946-present

1946-2000: Realism
    2001-2008: Neconservative idealism
    2009-2012: Neointernationalism
    2013: “YOLO” Doctrine

Bonus Entry: John Kerry just announced the inspirational rallying cry for this war. Henceforth, the Syrian Maintenance Bombings will be called OPERATION DEGRADE THE CAPACITY

Bonus: Shorter Barack Obama: “Our cause, whatever it is, is just”

Dr Spank disagrees that it will be called OPERATION DEGRADE THE CAPACITY. Not enough “punch.” Not enough Bird Imagery.

He says the mission will be called OPERATION RUFFLED FEATHERS.

79. rain of lead
    80 | September 3, 2013 8:29 pm

War- why can’t we be friends

81 | September 3, 2013 8:32 pm

Speranza wrote:

How nice for these moral superiors & what a load of crap.

I hate O’Reilly almost as much as I do McCain.

Two buffoons, but O’Reilly has raised a lot of money for track chairs for wounded warriors.
    I give him that.

81. rain of lead
    82 | September 3, 2013 8:32 pm

Assad to Obombya

82. rain of lead
    83 | September 3, 2013 8:35 pm

cue twilight zone theme music

Dreams From My Father, page 87:

” On Saturdays the whole Choom Gang would go down to Hanauma Bay to watch girls and listen to oldies on the car radio. Whenever Edwin Starr’s “War” came on, we’d stand on the hood and shout, “War! Uh! Good God y’all --What is it good for? ABSOLUTELY NOTHIN’!” But it wasn’t all in jest — those lyrics deeply affected me. I turned to Rob once and said, “If I ever get to be president one day and start a war, it’ll be just as this song recommends — for no reason whatsoever.” “

84 | September 3, 2013 8:35 pm

@ rain of lead:
    I used t post a lot of that stuff at LGF…no response…it’s like people have an aversion to music

85 | September 3, 2013 8:40 pm

Even though the military goes to fight I would think they would have to be reluctant to be supporting al quaida. It’s a propaganda coup for Bin Laden. They will be able to take credit for bombing the twin towers then duping their victims into downing the leader of Syria.

85. rain of lead
    86 | September 3, 2013 8:46 pm

@ heysoos:
    eh, what ever
    it’s dead time right now anyway
    hopefully the place will pick up later

87 | September 3, 2013 8:47 pm

clearly the BO admin is being manipulated…willfully, by design, I just can’t fathom…and I’d believe just about anything

88 | September 3, 2013 8:49 pm

in the mean time
    Cisco Kid live

88. rain of lead
    89 | September 3, 2013 8:50 pm

When Mark Morford infamously called Obama a “lightbringer” back in 2008, we didn’t know he was referring to White Phosphorus bombs.

*snort*

90 | September 3, 2013 9:00 pm

if you’ve ever seen a prairie chicken, raise your hand

90. rain of lead
    91 | September 3, 2013 9:01 pm

@ heysoos:
    is that a real thing or is it like a snipe

91. rain of lead
    92 | September 3, 2013 9:05 pm

hmmmm

Once again “Butt Head Boehner and Wacko Mccain can’t see what Obama is up to…with a 60 day war Obama gets over the debt ceiling sequestration and the budget…i can hear “cry baby Boehner”…we need to support our troops in the war, lets pass what OBAMA has proposed: lets raise TAXES to pay for this war…

*rubs chin and ponders*
    hmmm

93 | September 3, 2013 9:05 pm

rain of lead wrote:

@ heysoos:
    is that a real thing or is it like a snipe

it’s a real bird, common in these parts..they are wild (food) but a fine looking colorful specimen…people eat them

93. rain of lead
    95 | September 3, 2013 9:12 pm

Obombya needs a blinged out uniform with big-ass eiuplets and medals
    and rope braid and shit

96 | September 3, 2013 9:13 pm

@ heysoos:

97 | September 3, 2013 9:16 pm

@ rain of lead:

Maybe Rodman can bring him one back from North Korea.

96. 98 | September 3, 2013 9:25 pm

@ rain of lead:

Yeah, I hate to say this, Обама should wear Mugabe’s ‘uniform’.

New thread.

100 | September 3, 2013 9:28 pm

@ waldensianspirit:
    my mom played the violin for 70 years, in every conceivable situation she was a serious classical musician…but she could pound out some turkey in the straw, or saw a jig

101 | September 3, 2013 9:35 pm

Macker wrote:

@ rain of lead:
    Yeah, I hate to say this, Обама should wear Mugabe’s ‘uniform’.
    New thread.

With Reggie in it

Bah-dah-bump

99. 102 | September 3, 2013 9:55 pm

Since the Russians have veto power, that essentially means that Obama isn’t going to get the splendid little war he contemplates. I wonder if Obama will launch an illegal war? I don’t guess it’ll be for oooooooiiiiilllll, so it’ll be OK. Because Obama’s got a Nobel Peace Prize, after all. Somethihng else he shares with Yassir Arafat…

100. Calo
    103 | September 3, 2013 10:31 pm

Heh, I needed a laugh tonight.

104 | September 3, 2013 10:38 pm

rain of lead wrote:

Obombya needs a blinged out uniform with big-ass eiuplets and medals
    and rope braid and shit

Or like this!

102. 105 | September 3, 2013 10:47 pm

@ Calo:

:mrgreen:

103. poteen
    106 | September 3, 2013 10:52 pm

Joking aside, it’s about time Obama had a decision to make on his own. Nobody is telling him what to do, that the outcome is guaranteed or even if there’s a ‘right’ thing to do. The teleprompter is blank. He’s lost so he tries to put it off on Congress.
    He sends Ketchup Kerry out to make the case. For and against.
    Watching that sick punk twisting in the wind gives me a warm feeling.

Now only if Congress had some balls to TELL him what to do

104. 107 | September 3, 2013 11:00 pm

poteen wrote:

Now only if Congress had some balls to TELL him what to do

Yeah, I wish they’d tell him to get bent. He’s not some kind of god. He is a fallible and failing man. What I am afraid of is a complete military debacle. Say, we launch a couple of hundred cruise missiles, and one of them lands on an elementary school or something. We aren’t going to send in troops, at least according to the plan Lurch discussed today, so we don’t have to worry so much about our troops getting nerve gassed, but no plan survives contact with the enemy. This thing could just blow up in Obama’s face. What will Putin do? I doubt Obama has even considered the possibility that Vlad the Bad will not go along with his plans.

105. poteen
    108 | September 3, 2013 11:31 pm

It’s already blown up in his face. If he or his admin had any brains they’d be dealing with Putin over whose not so bad guy gets the support in Syria when Assad and the other bad guys are dead. Can’t happen now.
    We WILL send troops at some point because we have to, because they’ve fucked up every other avenue, missed every other chance. Assad has him dancing and Putin’s laughing.

106. 109 | September 4, 2013 12:48 am

poteen wrote:

Yeah, I think that things could be settled with some intense diplomacy. Somethinhg where Russia is guaranteed her naval bases in exchnange for going along with the ouster of Assad. But apparently Obama isn’t doing anything like that. He appears to be going to go in unilaterally, with few allies, and over the objections of the UN. That isn’t so bad, in some ways. Anything that weakens the UN can’t be all bad. Weakening the UN is a positive good. But I don’t think Obama is doing this to assert American supremacy over the UN. I think Obama is half-heartedly going this route because he’s been embarrassed on the world stage. He is going to fire missiles into Syria, taking a side in the Syrian Civil War, because his little ego is all bruised up. That is not a legitimate reason to go to war with Syria. It is interesting how closely Obama’s complaint against Assad parallels Bush’s complaint against Saddam Hussein. Hussein used chemical weapons on his own people, too. Obama didn’t see that a ssufficient reason to go into Iraq. As I’ve been saying all day, I would truly love it if some enterprising Republican (Rand Paul, maybe) would dig through Obama’s speeches against the Iraq war, and force-feed them to Obama from the Floor of th Senate or Congress. Quote him word for word, and demand that he answer how this is different than Iraq. Because substantivly there is no difference.

107. poteen
    110 | September 4, 2013 1:02 am

That’s what he sent Kerry out to do.The answers were straight outa “Christmas in Cambodia”. Incompetence all around. Russia will get their port, Putin’s influence will be rise exponentially and we’ll pay the freight.