Protecting One’s Self Interest Produces Some Innovative Results

by Flyovercountry ( 63 Comments › )
Filed under Business, Economy at September 19th, 2013 - 8:30 am
Political Cartoons by Bob Gorrell

Leave it to those who have been born in the free market system to come up with a solution that is unique, innovative, and at the same time, a stinging rebuke of the bureaucrats who feel, that despite all evidence to the contrary, they are more qualified than say very small pebbles to make any decisions on any matter of economics, business, industry, or family budgeting. Two things happened this week. I reached a personal grim milestone, in that my personal out of pocket expenditure for health insurance has reached a 150% increase since the passage of the, “affordable care,” act, more commonly referred to as Obamacare. The other, I saw President Obama on my television today proclaiming that health costs are, “coming down.” When you stop laughing, please read on.

There is a vast difference between the cost of something and its price. While the two will always be involved in a causal relationship, it is still important to understand the difference. that is why I am frustrated with the fact that most Americans have a tendency to conflate the two issues to the point where even our vaunted media reports on them as if they were one and the same.

The cost of something relates to what the producer of a particular good or service paid in terms of their own resources in order to get that good or service to the market place. The price is what they charge the public to purchase that good or service. Ultimately, the public could not care less as to whether or not the producer makes or loses money in the transaction. Those making the purchase care only about the price, and nothing about the cost.

So, when the President goes out into the Fruited Plains and declares that, “we’re already starting to see health care costs come down,” he’s not exactly being honest in his discussion with us. There are a few states in the country where the price for health insurance was already astronomically high due to massive state government intrusions into the market places of those states. Massachusetts, Oregon, Vermont, and New York are examples of this. What the President was reporting on, was that in those states, the massive government subsidy meant to aid constituents dealing with the ravages of Obamacare, were enough to offset and in two cases exceed the resulting price increases. The costs, irrespective of the prices being sought, have shown massive increases in the other 46 states. The only reason the costs didn’t skyrocket in those four states is that the costs were already sky high, due to similar programs having already been enacted in those four states.

That’s a huge problem with Obamacare that even the only moron to win a Nobel Prize for economics, Paul Krugman, should probably be able to see. Obamacare, for all of its 3000 pages of complexity, coupled with the 3,000,000 so far and counting pages of regulation, does nothing to even explore the drivers of cost, and in fact exacerbates them. So while costs continue to skyrocket, and the promise is made to subsidize prices by burdening tax payers, anyone with a third grade level of math skill should be able to see where this will end up. Eventually, despite the heroic efforts to subsidize prices that will inevitably be undertaken, the completely ignored costs of doing business will eventually become too great to continue ignoring.

The story will not stop there however, as it never does. Corporations, who wish to remain open for business will find a way to remove the effects of those costs from their own income statements, and pass those effects off to others, meaning their customers or employees. Enter Sears, Walgreen’s, Darden Restaurants, and many more to come. A company called Aon PLC. has initiated a privately run healthcare exchange in which these companies have agreed to enter. In that exchange, the employees of those companies, along with 600,000 others so far, are free to purchase their own health insurance policies, privately. The subsidy will be in the form of a cash bonus paid by the companies who employ them.

Walgreen Co. (WAG), the biggest U.S. drugstore chain, will move its workers into a private health insurance exchange to buy company-subsidized coverage, the latest sign of how the debate over Obamacare is accelerating a historic shift in corporate health-care coverage.

Walgreen’s decision affects about 160,000 current employees and follows similar action this year by Sears Holdings Corp. (SHLD) and Darden Restaurants Inc. (DRI) As an alternative to administering a traditional health plan, all three will send their employees to an exchange run byAon Plc. (AON) Fourteen more companies will join in 2014 when 600,000 people will participate, Aon said.

The insurance options offered by the private exchange are similar to those in the Affordable Care Act’s public exchanges, though workers will get their subsidies from their companies instead of the government, said Ken Sperling of Aon. While the private effort isn’t directly linked to Obamacare, the debate over the law has spurred a new look at cost-cutting by businesses, municipalities and consumers.

Here’s how it will work. You may not realize this, but when you pay your premium pre tax out of your check every pay period, What you pay is usually about 10% to 20% of the total cost to your employer for that policy. The remainder of the price is subsidized for you. 80% to 90% of the price is eaten by your employer as an employment cost, and is attributed to the total payroll. What Walgreen’s et al is doing here, is genius. In lieu of purchasing a health care plan on behalf of their employees, they are going to, in effect, give everyone a raise which will be equivalent to that 80% to 90% of the price for health insurance that they once picked up. They’ll instead direct the employees to those privately run exchanges, with full disclosure to the IRS of course, and let the details become somebody else’s problem. They’ll get to save the money that they used to spend on administration and compliance issues related to offering those plans, satisfy the legal requirements, and gain control of the once out of control costs associated with health insurance.

What the employees will get out of all of this of course is screwed. They may be better off in the short run, and may not be. In the long run however, as the price charged for those health plans increase, as everything in our world does over time, they have no guarantee that the subsidy will increase along with them. In fact, there is nothing in the law passed by the clowns in Washington that says what percentage of a health plan an employer must subsidize, only that one be offered.

Further, those employee bonuses paid to subsidize the plans will be taxed at prevailing regular income rates. Add to that the employee’s new financial responsibility for compliance costs, administration, cost increases in the product they’ll be forced by the government to purchase, and I can see a future where the people who inflicted this upon us will be chased from town via pitch forks and torches, adorned with the fashionable attire known as tar and feathers.

I don’t know if anyone saw this coming or not, but I will give one more tee hee here. Walgreen’s you see was one of the cheer leaders for this crap sandwich we’ve all been asked to eat, so to see them taking this step should be surprising. It would be if there already wasn’t a long list of advocates finding ways to rid themselves of the consequences of what they’d done to the rest of us.

Cross Posted from Musings of a Mad Conservative.

Tags:

Comments

63 Responses to “Protecting One’s Self Interest Produces Some Innovative Results”

1. rain of lead
    1 | September 19, 2013 8:42 am

great stuff!
    there are a couple of lefties at work that I am going to shock and
    ARRRGHHHH!!! (pirate lingo ya know) with this today

2. 2 | September 19, 2013 8:59 am

@ rain of lead:

I don’t talk politics at work. While I figure most people here agree with me, there is no sense bringing up things that can cause conflict. We are worried about ObamaCare, though, and what it is going to cost us. Where I work we do staffing for Emergency Rooms, primarily. The demand for that is a pretty constant thing, and won’t change because of ObamaCare, but what may change are our benefits. We are already adding a healthcare premium for people with health conditions like high blood pressure or obeisty. What other changes we’ll see I do not know. I don’t like change. Change is almost always worse than what we had before, and ObamaCare is certainly going to be worse. ObamaCare is designed to be worse.

3. rain of lead
    3 | September 19, 2013 9:06 am

agreed
    there is a young guy I argue talk with who is just clueless
    LOVES obamacare, thinks it’s the greatest, so I never miss a chance
    to inform him of unintended consequences

4. rain of lead
    4 | September 19, 2013 9:07 am

@ rain of lead:

like I tried to tell people back in 2008
    change isn’t always for the better

5. MikeA
    5 | September 19, 2013 9:11 am

We already got nailed last year @ work with healthcare changes. We went from 5 or 6 plans to 1 plan with the choice of 2 different deductables of which both are high. We call it the “Vegas Plan”, you bet you don’t get sick.

This whole Obamacare thing shows how the law of unintended consequences works. Add to that a law that was designed by committee and you get the crap we have as law.

6. 6 | September 19, 2013 9:12 am

@ rain of lead:

Change for the sake of change is chaos. That is what the Left truly want to bring about, because they intend to ride the wave of chaos into power, and then they think they can suppresss everything that might challenge their power. They have done this many times in many places. Theyt are predictable. Their ultimate goal is total power in their hands, and the suppression of any that would challenge that power. In truth, these people see places like Cambodia and Nazi Germany as prototypes of the society that they want to produce, only with them in the Master’s Seat. They are, in a word, evil.

7. 7 | September 19, 2013 9:19 am

MikeA wrote:

This whole Obamacare thing shows how the law of unintended consequences works.

I disagree a little. I think that these entirely foreseeable consequences are the intended consequences. ObamaCare isn’[t what the Left really want. They want Single-Payer. Their goal is to be able to deny peopl ehealth care coverage based on their political reliability. Just as we saw with the IRS and the Tea Party organizations. Think of the hammer it will give them to quash dissent if they can revoke your child’s cancer treatments if you piss off the wrong apparatchik. That is what they want. These people are not well-meaning fools. They aree very able, intelligent, and evil people. They look at Stalin’s famine in the Ukraine, and see a model to copy.

8. MikeA
    8 | September 19, 2013 9:26 am

The problem is when you try to create chaos, by its very nature its unpredictable. I agree they are trying to crash or reboot the system and if a bunch of peons die in the process, who cares. Some eggs get broken. The issue becomes trying to make chaos work for you.

9. 9 | September 19, 2013 9:53 am

@ MikeA:

That kind of is where I am right now. I don’t want to see the system crashed, but I don’t think there is a lot I can do about it except wail like Cassandra about the doom I see coming. What we have goin gon now is simply not sustainable. We can’t keep borrowing from MasterCard to pay the interest on our Visa. The country is de facto bankrupt. We just have been putting off paying that piper for nearly ten years. I am trying tpo position myself so that I can take care of my own, but outside of that small circle there is nothing I can do. Right now I am paying down debt like a madman, and that will pay off in another 2-3 years. It takes time to earn the money to cover the kind of debt I’d had to take on. We’ll get out of it, but it is hard. The closer I can get to debt-free, the better a position I’ll be in for if/when things fall apart. I am in so much better position than most Americans right now. Both I and my wife have good jobs making decent money. I sold that damned house that hd been hanging like an albatross around my neck. I just need things to hold off another 5 years to get myself in relatively good shape. I have a lot that I need to accomplish in that time. I don’t see how people with kids are making it right now. It is just me, my wife, the cats and the birds, and things are tight for us. I can’t imagine adding the costs of a couple of kids onto that.

10. 10 | September 19, 2013 9:59 am

Cats? And Birds? Living together? Mass Hysteria! :cool:

11. 11 | September 19, 2013 10:01 am

@ rain of lead:

…ARRRGHHHH!!! (pirate lingo ya know)…

No, no, blast yer eyes! It be “AARRR!”, not “ARRRGHHH!” Ye be trying to talk piratical-like, not pretending to be be Charlie Brown when Lucy yanks that poxy football out from in front of him again!

12. 12 | September 19, 2013 10:01 am

@ Macker:

Oh, yeah! I have six cats, an African Grey parrot, and a maroon-bellied conure. The cats don’t bother the birds much. They like to sit on top of the bird cages, but they don’t try to get in at the birds. The parrot is big enough to hurt them if they get overly friendly. Pets are part of what keeps me going. I’ve had the parrot for 20 years.

13. 13 | September 19, 2013 10:04 am

“Greed is good”. Gordon Gekko was essentially right.

14. 14 | September 19, 2013 10:09 am

@ MacDuff:

Essentially. Our whole system of government is based on rational people acting in their own self-interests. We expect Congress to maintain and try to expand its power, and the Courts to act as a check on that and the Executive. It was expected that voters would be knowledgable about the issues of the day, and that they,too would look for what is best for them. It was a pretty good system of government, but it has broken down in the last 20 years or so. Peopl efound a way to vote themselves money out of the public coffers, and that spells doom for a Constitutional Republic.

15 | September 19, 2013 10:30 am

Good morning. Let me see if I have this right.
    The House will send a resolution to the Senate fully funding the government.
    Under seperate cover, they send up a rider to defund Obama Care.
    The Senate trashes the rider & just votes the full bill?
    Is that it?

16 | September 19, 2013 10:35 am

Talk like a pirate… some lessons from Long John Silver hisself.
    httpv://youtu.be/yC_PR7YWQOc

17 | September 19, 2013 10:43 am

Yarr me hearties., it me Talk Like a Pirate Day.
    Yarr, Jim Boy. Yarr be good boy Jim. Give ole Long John the map Jim.
    Taht’s a good boy Jim.

18. 19 | September 19, 2013 10:45 am

That’s what it sounds like to me. I guess I could be wrong, but not likely. The House Leadership recalls what happened when Clinton shut down the government in the ’90s. He won that fight. The House Republicans aren’t going to want to replicate that. I’m not sure, personally, whether defunding is even the right path to take here. Let ObamaCare come out, let the people feel the pain it is going to cause them and the money it is going to cost them, and then let them vote in the 2014 elections based on that. Once the Republicans have taken the Senate, repeal the entire law. I think that is a more prudent course. Of 81 deadlines in ObamaCare, the Obama Administration has already missed 41. There should be ads in every TV market touting what a disaster ObamaCare is as it rolls out. Already we are seeing companies moving full-time workers to part-time status. I expect that trend to continue. When they have to work two jobs just to make the kind of money they were making during the Bush Administration working one, the LIVs might wake up. We need a campaign starting now, though, to prime that pump. Here in Tennessee Lamar Alexander (not my favorite Senator) is already running ads playing up his opposition to ObamaCare. The Republicans should replicate that in nearly every market. Even in California. The people need to bne informed about ObamaCare. The majority of the people already want it repealed, and the real painful bite hasn’t even started yet.

19. 20 | September 19, 2013 10:47 am

It’s a waste,. the GOP should not bother. They should be in building up infrastructure. Obama is in political trouble and any fight they pick with him as with all the other fights, he will clean their clocks with the help of the media and popular culture.

20. 21 | September 19, 2013 10:50 am

This is a loser issue for the GOP. Obama will clean their clocks with help of the media. Cruz, Rubio, Paul and Lee are replicating the charge of the light brigade. Obama has the media and popular culture, you can’t beat him head up. Just continue the death by a 1000 cuts strategy.

22 | September 19, 2013 10:55 am

Yarr me hearties., it me Talk Like a Pirate Day.
    Yarr, Jim Boy. Yarr be good boy Jim. Give ole Long John the map Jim.
    Taht’s a good boy Jim.

Here’s yer complete chart o’ talkin’ like a pirate, ye scum. Best cuts from Wallace Beery and Robert Newton, respectively in their roles as Long John Silver.

22. 23 | September 19, 2013 10:56 am

Goldwaterite wrote:

I’m not sure you are correct on that. ObamaCare is unpopular. It has never gotten 50% of the vote even when Obama himself it riding high in the polls. The problem is that it is a gamble to take him on right now. He does have the media in his corner, and that is no small advantage. Rather than fighting for defunding (which is never going to get through the Senate, anyway), they shoulod be running commercials informing the people of how ObamaCare is going to hurt them. Obama is using tax dollars to support ObamaCare. We might be able to defund that, but e’ll still eed ad buys in all the major markets to hit Obama with. Starting now. Instead of a futile fight to defund ObamaCare, I’d rather the Republicans focus on defeatin gthe Democrats in the 2014 elections.

24 | September 19, 2013 10:58 am

Meanwhile:

Obama: “Raising The Debt Ceiling Does Not Increase Our Debt”…

In a speech at the Business Roundtable headquarters in Washington, D.C., Obama dismissed concerns about raising the debt ceiling by noting that it’d been done so many times in the past:

“Now, this debt ceiling — I just want to remind people in case you haven’t been keeping up — raising the debt ceiling, which has been done over a hundred times, does not increase our debt; it does not somehow promote profligacy. All it does is it says you got to pay the bills that you’ve already racked up, Congress. It’s a basic function of making sure that the full faith and credit of the United States is preserved.” [...]

Talk like a pirate day? Sounds more like Alice in Wonderland day to me…

25 | September 19, 2013 10:58 am

It looks like the republicans can’t get blmaed for shutting down the government this way.
    But when people start to feel the pain from Obama Care , they can say , “We tried to stop it.”

26 | September 19, 2013 10:59 am

Goldwaterite wrote:

The Republicans need to get the Senate.

27 | September 19, 2013 11:00 am

@ huckfunn:
    That is some of the best stuff ever.

28 | September 19, 2013 11:03 am

See? Obama went to the Ivy Legue, he are ejamucated.

28. 29 | September 19, 2013 11:05 am

Obama is simply lying, and obviously lying to boot. If raising the debt ceiling is necessary for us to be able to continue paying the interest on our debt, it is easy to see that raising the debt ceiling will perforce increase our national debt. Obama’s tryin gto have it both ways. HE wants to force raising the debt ceiling, but excape the culpability for that. He may succeed at that with a majority of the people. The average American doesn’t know the difference between the national debt and the yearly deficit. And they don’t care to Learn. If we are goin gto beat Obama at this we are goin gto need to educate the voters. Otherwise they’ll believe all the talk about Magic Unicorn Dust, and that you can borrow money without increasing your debt.

30 | September 19, 2013 11:08 am

See? Obama went to the Ivy Legue, he are ejamucated.

He must be right. After all, the national debt hasn’t gone up a penny in more than 4 months.

Treasury Reports National Debt At Exactly $16,699,396,000,000 For The Fourth Straight Month, Only $25 Million Below Debt Limit…

30. 31 | September 19, 2013 11:13 am

Doesn’t that constitute fraud? I know it would if a publicly traded company were cooking its books like that. People would go to prison for it. I don’t expect that Holder would charge them with fraud, even if they were shipping the difference into a numbered account in the Caymans, but it could be a wedge issue to split “moderates” away from the Democrats with.

32 | September 19, 2013 11:15 am

Doesn’t that constitute fraud?

Everything this grifter does is fraud. Where does one start?

33 | September 19, 2013 11:15 am

One of many things the government does that would land people in the private sector in prison.

35 | September 19, 2013 11:18 am

Obamas logic is very simplistic, but the MSM swoons at his brillance.

36 | September 19, 2013 11:22 am

Dingy Rambles About His Favorite Pastime On Senate Floor… Grocery Shopping…

REID: Now, Mr. President, one of my favorite things I really like to do in Nevada, and here in Washington, is go grocery shopping. It’s such a diversion for me. I love going grocery shopping to look around, buy the things. Landra and I are without our children and our grandchildren. We live alone, but we still buy food, and I enjoy that so very, very much.

Good thing there’s nothing important for him to be working on…

36. 37 | September 19, 2013 11:37 am

I agree that most of the consequences so far have been foreseeable, but these new private exchanges are a twist. I’m not sure anyone saw these coming down the pike, and quite frankly could serve to bridge that gap of certain destruction for a while longer. It takes the onus of losing their cost predictability off of businesses, and shifts the entirety of the risk back onto the employees.

This is the exact kind of thing that free markets produce when prodded into some ill conceived direction. I’m certain we’ll be hearing screams of foul ball soon enough, but for now, when I hear a libtard complain about evil corporations and how they’ve used a loop hole to dodge the punishment that success is supposed to bring, I’ll have a good laugh at their expense.

37. Buffalobob
    39 | September 19, 2013 11:52 am

Let’s not forget the great champion of the elderly, AARP, a origination infested with progs. They championed obama and his obamacare.

38. 40 | September 19, 2013 11:54 am

He does have the media in his corner, and that is no small advantage -

The Popular Culture as well.

41 | September 19, 2013 12:09 pm

Pelosi: Republicans Are “Taking Food Out Of The Mouths Of Babies”…

She left out that Republicans eat puppies. Wait, that’s Obama.

42 | September 19, 2013 12:10 pm

I didn’t realize that liquor stores, casinos and strip clubs even sold baby food…

41. 43 | September 19, 2013 12:12 pm

@ Goldwaterite:

I think the popular culture only gets him so far. It sells the LIVs on Obama, but that vote belongs to Obama, anyway. I don’t think the average voter cares who Madonna and Lady Gaga support. Sure, they can preach that Obama is cool, but that only carries them so far. You see the impact around you because you live and work in a place the “hipsters” congrate. Move out of that region, and Obama’s support in popular culture wanes. I think that is one reason that OFA is having so much trouble mobilizing backing for Obama’s inititives like gun control, and even ObamaCare.

42. 44 | September 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Hey, it is vitally necessary that strip clubs take EBT. That means EBT is supporting a working girl… 8O

45 | September 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Pelosi is a genius , a word class genius.

46 | September 19, 2013 12:20 pm

We spend money to teach Asian hookers how to drink.
    What about American hookers? They drink too.
    Prejudice, our govt. types discriminate against our hookers./

47 | September 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Barbara Boxer (D-Moron) objects to Ted Cruz’s resolution to set up a committee to investigate Benghazi:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO92e8L_980

46. 48 | September 19, 2013 12:34 pm

They’re doing jobs American will do. I’m still pissed off that they didn’t tap me to go to China to teach hookers how to drink. I have the requsite skillset, and I’d have only charged them $1.5 million dollars instead of the $2.6 that they paid. I bet the didn’t get competative bids when the paid that money out. In fact, I’d be willing to bet the guy who did get that gig was a big-time supporter of the Democrats and/or Obama. That really should be a bigger scandal than it is. It is only the lunatic fringe that pays attention to that. The LIVs don’t even know the issue exists.

47. 49 | September 19, 2013 12:42 pm

They aren’t even trying to hide the fact that they are covering something serious up. They are brazen about it. I guess they figure that if they keep it quiet enough long enough that public opinion will drift away fro the whole debacle. If the Republicans are smart, though, Benghazi will be a big issue in 2014. Of course, if Romney had been smart, it would have been a bigger issue in 2012.

50 | September 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Well, Dems do have a special relationship with Hookere.

51 | September 19, 2013 1:06 pm

BREAKING: DOJ Inspector General Report Finds FBI Violated Congressional Ban On Working With CAIR…

Time to fire another Inspector General…

50. 52 | September 19, 2013 1:07 pm

I wonder if hookers take EBT? I’m only about halfway joking about that. I know strip clubs do in some of the Blue States.

51. 53 | September 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Boy, the Obama Administration really feels they are entitled to censor the news. Read through the thread, and you’ll see that they seriously wanted to quash a story, and equally seriously didn’t want to tell USA Today why. As far as I can tell, the guy from the Administration was just making shit up. USA Today was going to make the One look less like the Messiah, so they wanted the story quashed.

52. 54 | September 19, 2013 2:02 pm

The Popular Culture is a very powerful force. Don’t underestimate what it can do.

55 | September 19, 2013 2:03 pm

Bet that they do.

56 | September 19, 2013 2:09 pm

Pope Francis: Catholic Church Too Focused On Gays, Abortion & Contraception

Pope Francis has said the Catholic Church is too focused on preaching about abortion, gay people and contraception and needs to become more merciful.

He warned that the Church’s moral structure could “fall like a house of cards” unless it changed.

The Pope used the first major interview of his papacy to explain comments he made in July about homosexuality.

He told a Jesuit magazine the Church must show balance and “heal wounds”.

The pontiff used the 12,000-word interview with La Civilta Cattolicato to set out his priorities as Pope, acknowledge his own shortcomings and open up about his cultural interests.

ht – Zip

It’s an attitude of mercy and forgiveness, NOT one of capitulation.

He’s not asking Catholics to stop making principled stands, he’s asking them to do it in different directions – directions that others are more receptive to than angry shouting over controversial issues.

I, for one, welcome this change.

Again, he’s not asking people to abandon their principles or for the Church to CHANGE their principles.

He’s simply pointing out that a life is better spent focused in a direction of LOVE, rather than DISSENT.

55. 57 | September 19, 2013 2:09 pm

@ Bumr50:

We have it in headlines.

58 | September 19, 2013 2:14 pm

@ Bumr50:

That’s it.

59 | September 19, 2013 2:23 pm

Rep. Maloney baloney: Mentioning Hillary in Benghazi hearing is evidence of sexism
    Posted at 1:50 pm on September 19, 2013 by Twitchy Staff | View Comments

ht Twitchy.
    Right & any criticism of Obama is racism.
    However any mention of Carolyn Maloney & intellect is counter intuitive.

58. 61 | September 19, 2013 3:08 pm

I’d like to know how they came up with an “age appropriate” way to describe prostitution and human trafficing. It appears that thye considered “pimps” and “mobstaz” in a positive light. Maybe not, but the impression I take away from it is that way. After all, they are using “Ebonics” spelling to teach these kids. Probably so that the kids will grow up functionally illterate. Turning out illiterates is the specialty of Big City Teacher’s Unions.

62 | September 19, 2013 3:13 pm

What’s you’re point Kerry?

You wanna INVADE??

63 | September 19, 2013 3:13 pm

After all, they are using “Ebonics” spelling to teach these kids.

I really consider that to be even worse than the fact that they’re using material that references “gangsta” culture and pimps.