How-to Tackle Those Pesky Weeds In Your Yard
September 27, 2018
Proper maintenance of your yard includes watering, fertilizing, mowing, aerating, pest control, and weed control. Most lawns at some point will start to be infested by weeds. In order to have a beautiful and healthy lawn weed removal and weed control should be top priority. If you are in need of help figuring out how to tackle those pesky weeds in your lawn, keep reading for tips.
- Get Down on Hands and Knees –
To get weeds at their source, you need to get down on your hands and knees. Take a spade and dig them out gently, one by one. By digging them out, you are taking up the roots; which will help to ensure that your weeds will not return.
- Get Some Roundup –
If your weeds are somewhere that does not have grass, roundup works pretty quickly to take care of the weeds. Don’t use roundup on areas that have grass, as it will kill your grass.
- Try a Homemade Weed Killer –
Using natural methods can be as easy as using Roundup but better for the environment. Some natural weed prevention or weed killing methods are:
- Boiling water: Boiling water burns weeds, but as it runs off it cools and won’t harm your other plant life.
- Vodka: Take vodka and mix it with water and dish soap in a spray bottle. Apply to weeds, they will be killed due to the mixture drying them out.
- Rubbing Alcohol: Similar mixture as the Vodka application – you just swap that out for rubbing alcohol.
- Vinegar: Get 5% white vinegar and mix it with table salt and dish soap. Apply directly to weeds, it does work better in full sun.
- Hire a Lawn Service –
Lawn services can take care of as much yard care as you wish. You can have your yard treated a few times a year with fertilizer, weed preventative and they will take care of any weeds you do have.
- Change Mowing Habits –
Longer grass can help to prevent some forms of weeds, like crab grass. If you raise your mowing blade up, you can reduce the amount of weeds in your yard.
- Identify the Weeds –
You are better prepared to attack the weeds if you know what they are. Take a picture, note the characteristics and do some online research. If you are still not able to discern what it is, look for a gardening forum. There are a few forums out there that will help you identify weeds or insects if you submit a photo. Once you have identified what weed you have – you can research the best ways to kill and prevent it.
It is amazing to see a lawn transform with the right care. If you are looking for a beautiful, lush lawn it is important to take the time and treat your yard right with the proper maintenance.